Stuart or Boychuck

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Stuart or Boychuck

I was asked this question and could only come up with reasons why I would want to resign both, it was a toughy for me. What do you guys think?

If you could only resign one of these two who would it be?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

Re: Stuart or Boychuck

In Response to Stuart or Boychuck:
    I was asked this question and could only come up with reasons why I would want to resign both, it was a toughy for me. What do you guys think? If you could only resign one of these two who would it be?
    Posted by MDsizzle

I just went into this on a different post, but I'll throw it on here as well.  Personally, I would keep Stuart because - with the exception of a fluky set of circumstances last season - he's been consistent.  He plays hard, he's succeeded at every level he's played on and he's only going to get better.  Not only that, but he's one of the leadership guys and guys like Recchi respect him.  I believe that if we keep him around, he'll be one of our top D for years to come.

Boychuk is an older rookie who only really came on in a handful of games due to injury...while he was playing with Chara.  I get nervous when they talk about rewarding him with some kind of huge contract because I want to see him SUSTAIN that kind of play over an entire season.  Would I like to keep him around?  Hell yes.  But not if it means over-paying him and losing Stuart in the bargain.  Of the two, Boychuk has the most trade-value if it comes to that and being "stuck" with Stuart if we lose Boychuk isn't exactly something to complain about.  If we go the other way and dump Stuart then what happens if Boychuk doesn't play up to his 09-10 level? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Yeah, I would have to take stuart as well, he has been nothing but solid since he came to the bruins..  (you could say the same about boychuk) But one season doesn't prove alot...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

My response might be different in a couple of years, but so far, I've seen what Stuart can do and am happy with it.  There are too many unknowns with Boychuk to dump a proven commodity for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddd112273. Show ddd112273's posts

I have always liked the was Stuart plays. Hes solid and can deliver game changing hits. As for Boychuck, i think he needs more time at this level before he given a payday (of which i believe will come). If I were PC (and I am glad Im not) I would try vey hard to sign both. I could see letting Boychuck go bitting us in the pervebial south end of a north bound mule..

But if I had to pick one I would choose Stuart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Boychuk because of his cannon shot and Stuart's propensity for injuries. I would be bummed to see Mark go though but you asked to choose one very tough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Boychuk would be my choice.  He is just as good defensively, can hit just as well, is bigger, skates better, can fight just as well, can play special teams, his shot is better.  Boychuck is a top 4 defenseman, Stuart is a 5-6.  Nothing against Stuart, but you have to be more then just caveman strong in my book to be top 4 pairing.  The question is a good one, because it probably will come down to one or the other, based on the Ference signing.  I would have liked for the top 4 to be Seidenberg, Chara, Boychuck, Wideman, with Stuart as the 5 with Hunwick, McQuaid, or Alexandrov.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

In Response to Re: Stuart or Boychuck:
    Boychuk because of his cannon shot and Stuart's propensity for injuries. I would be bummed to see Mark go though but you asked to choose one very tough.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I'm not sure I'd say that Stuart has a "propensity" for injuries.  He was our iron man for TWO seasons...pretty impressive considering the way he plays. He broke his sternum AND played through it for the rest of the game.  Then he broke a finger in a completely random way when it got caught up in the other player's jersey during a fight.  The fact that the bone in his pinky got infected was bad luck, but it wasn't controllable.  It's not like he's Ference...or Sturm.  He had a run of unfortunate luck, but I would never say he's injury-prone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

Keep both...dump Hunwik

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

This is what pisses me off the most about the ference signing. It will almost be impossible to retain boychuk AND stuart. They are both more valuable than ference, but we almost certinly have to lose one.

If I have to pick one Ill pick stuart just because he is more proven and experienced.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Stuart or Boychuck : I'm not sure I'd say that Stuart has a "propensity" for injuries.  He was our iron man for TWO seasons...pretty impressive considering the way he plays.He broke his sternum AND played through it for the rest of the game.  Then he broke a finger in a completely random way when it got caught up in the other player's jersey during a fight.  The fact that the bone in his pinky got infected was bad luck, but it wasn't controllable.  It's not like he's Ference...or Sturm.  He had a run of unfortunate luck, but I would never say he's injury-prone.Posted by twentyfour

One of the many reasons I'd be bummed if here were not signed or traded but MD asked to choose one. Not putting the caveman down at all players whom get injure allot in the NHL usually is because there very physical.

Now if the question were do you think PC signs both then I would say yes and Hunwick n Ference go Matt is definitely gone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Keep both...dump Hunwick and Ference...THEN get some SCORERS!!!!!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

In Response to Re: Stuart or Boychuck : One of the many reasons I'd be bummed if here were not signed or traded but MD asked to choose one. Not putting the caveman down at all players whom get injure allot in the NHL usually is because there very physical. Now if the question were do you think PC signs both then I would say yes and Hunwick n Ference go Matt is definitely gone.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

That I can agree with.  I'd rather see Hunwick go before anyone else we have on D. Just like Boychuk, he's got a certain amount of trade-value.  And, as much as I hate that Ference signing and would love to see him take his cap-hit somewhere else, I think he's here to stay.  This season, at least.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Boychuk would be my first choice but tough one to pick because we need to beef up our d. Chara wil need a new contract 1 year from now. Without Chara we will have Siedenberg Wideman Ference Alexandrov Penner and Hunwick. Boychuk Stuart and McQuaid  are RFA's. The Bruins must sign at least 2 out of 3 RFA's if we can trade Hunwick we will have one signing done but if Wideman can be trade we sign 2 more. Chara 1 year Ference Siedenberg Alexandrov(will be testing NHL water this season) Penner(will be teasting NHL water this season) Boychuk Stuart McQuaid signed will be good d core.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Trade Hunwick for any round draft pick someone is willing to give and keep both!
    Then look for that bottom line small print on Ference's contract saying it was a joke and we didn't mean it and tell him to resign for less than Thorton.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Keep both...dump Hunwick and Ference...THEN get some SCORERS!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by hARRIS666

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Stuart is the keeper imo, yet Boychuk will sign for less and Stuart has trade value. Once again this fan is bewildered by the signing of Ference but hey maybe there is more to the story. In the world where the NHL speaks of "lower body and upper body" injuries why wouldn't we believe that Stuart has been given a contract overture by management with a quick reply by Stuart's agent "we can do better".  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

For all those who support this GM...Can you imagine losing Stuart or Boychuk because we have to keep Ference and Hunwick ???

This is the guy we're trusting with this off-season and draft ? Not if it was my team -

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Who ever is cheaper.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky. Show eyeinthesky's posts

I would do anything I could to keep both.  Stuart brings toughness and solid defense.  Boychuk brings size, skill, and is no pushover.  Both can be kept for reasonable prices.  Boychuk at 1.5M or so and Stuart at 2M.  I would trade Hunwick or Ference out in a heartbeat to keep them both, but Hunwick's departure won't be enough to free up the cash and Ference isn't going anywhere now. 

I would trade Wideman to clear cap space to keep these guys.  Moving him is the only realistic way I see of keeping both.  I doub it will happen, but I'd be happy if it did.  Teams might actually want Wideman and his 4M contract + draft pick or prospect and that would clear the necessary cap space.  I enjoy watching Stuart play, Boychuk is exciting on the ice too.  I do not "enjoy" seeing Wideman make 2-10 mistakes a game...but good playoff turnaround

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Stuart & Boychuk MUST both stay. Ference or Hunwick can go tomorrow. I'll drive their sorry a$$es to the airport myself and I live near Toronto. I don't care, I'll drive to Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Short memory for all fans here----Everyone was praising the Bruins last year for resigning Hunwick.  The guy can skate, has offensive skills for a defenceman and will get better as he matures as a pro and gains more confidence.  Why do most Bruins fans give up on their young players before they reach their peak years.  Same chat on this board about Krecji and Lucic numerous times throughout the year.  Have some patience for these young players-- let them develop.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigjeezy. Show bigjeezy's posts

keep both ference or hunwick gone 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Like most posts here, I did not like the Ference contract and like it even less if it prohibits the signing of Stu and Boychuck, both are better D-men IMHO.

Stu brings solid D and some great grit and I think his injuries were more of a fluke this year and don't anticipate that being much of a problem going forward, he's tough.

Boychuck has shown all of the mentioned Stuartisms plus he has a bomb and does not hesitate to use it. He has just not had the opportunity to show he can sustain this level of play for 82+ games. I see no reason to doubt he can though.

I guess if I HAD to pick one I would pick Boychuck due to a possible higher upside. But think Stuart would be the safer pick. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Stuart: He had a run of unfortunate luck, but I would never say he's injury-prone.
    Posted by twentyfour

reposted for truth.  he had some great (like you said) "iron man" streak going until this season.

Sections
Shortcuts