Stuart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LawLaw. Show LawLaw's posts

Stuart

Can anyone explain to me why Stuart hasn't been signed yet?  After the season ended I figured him to be one of the top priorities for resigning however it seems like things are pretty quiet.  Any thoughts or insight?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

Re: Stuart

In Response to Stuart:
    Can anyone explain to me why Stuart hasn't been signed yet?  After the season ended I figured him to be one of the top priorities for resigning however it seems like things are pretty quiet.  Any thoughts or insight?
    Posted by LawLaw

My understanding is that PC isn't doing anything with the RFA's (other than qualify them) until after July 1st.  His last interview said he had spoken to the agent that handles Wheeler and Stuart and that he hopes neither one goes to arbitration.

http://www.csnne.com/06/30/10/Bruins-notes-Chiarelli-will-be-patient-l/v1_landing_bruins.html?blockID=263278&feedID=3944

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Signing Stuart is critical.  Without him we don't have four top tier D.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I disagree.  Ference and Boychuk are better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wboi92287. Show wboi92287's posts

In Response to Re: Stuart:
    Posted by bim09

cocaine is a helluva drug if you think Ference is better than Stuart

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Stuart is a 5 - 6.  He better not take the B's to arbitration.  What is he going to use as a negotiating tool.  I am strong like caveman!  Now that Sobotka is no longer with the Bruins, Stuart is the most over-rated player by the fans.  In fact, he should be the captain don't ya know!  He is not signed yet because, like all players, they think they are worth more then what they are.  I'll take Hnidy at half the cost, same player.  

And yes I know that he captained college team and junior team and fought a couple of guys this year when the team was flat.  The fact still remains that he is a 5-6!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

No way MeanE .....Mark Stuat is a top four and some given nights he is a top 3 ....hits hard, doesnt make many errors and always reliable ...We have to sign him and ...of course Wheeler..

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 (only if Wheeler stays)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

Stuart is a 5 - 6.  He better not take the B's to arbitration.  What is he going to use as a negotiating tool.  I am strong like caveman!  Now that Sobotka is no longer with the Bruins, Stuart is the most over-rated player by the fans.  In fact, he should be the captain don't ya know!  He is not signed yet because, like all players, they think they are worth more then what they are.  I'll take Hnidy at half the cost, same player.   And yes I know that he captained college team and junior team and fought a couple of guys this year when the team was flat.  The fact still remains that he is a 5-6!
    Posted by MeanE

Wow...so did Stu run over your puppy or something??

He hasn't been signed yet because he's an RFA.  PC qualified him then turned his attention to other things.  My sense from listening to what Stu had to say after the last game was that he knew he hadn't played up to the level he could have because of missing time with the infection and I, personally would be surprised if he was the type of guy that thinks he's worth more than he really is.  If you think for one moment that someone like Hunwick should stay while a player like Stu goes then I have to question how you rank a defenseman's worth to this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Posted by bim09

Come on mannnnnnnn...I would say Ference is the worst defensman on the B's...Mark Stuart is a beast...

You remember when everyone was calling the B's soft after no one stuck up for Savard when Cooke hit him? The next like 3-4 games Mark Stuart just fought whoever wanted to go...

Caveman's alright with me...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Stanley - I agree with bim09.  He is not better then Boychuk or Ference.  #1 Chara, #2 Seidenberg #3 Boychuk #4 Ference #5 Stuart #6 Hunwick #7 McQuaid #8 Alexandrov.

Stuart needs to sign for $1.5 - $1.8, nothing more nothing less.  I love Stuart as a #5 - #6.  If he is the Bruins #3, God help us!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Stanley - I agree with bim09.  He is not better then Boychuk or Ference.  #1 Chara, #2 Seidenberg #3 Boychuk #4 Ference #5 Stuart #6 Hunwick #7 McQuaid #8 Alexandrov. Stuart needs to sign for $1.5 - $1.8, nothing more nothing less.  I love Stuart as a #5 - #6.  If he is the Bruins #3, God help us!
    Posted by MeanE

Stuart rocks & far better than Ference or Boychuck when it comes to defending his own end. Rarely do you see Stuart cough up the puck in his own end. He's a shutdown guy & a lot of the B's have claimed, next to Z he's by far the strongest on the team! I hope the B's sign him before Wheeler!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

Boychuk has played exactly HOW many games in the NHL?  And he was primarily paired with Chara.  I'm not sure I'm ready to considering him our #3 D just yet.  Ference is injury-plagued.  And Hunwick?  I'm not sure WHY he's a defenseman at all.  He's 100% better as a wing.  Stuart IS strong, he's still developing into an amazing player and he's ridiculously consistent.  I consider him one of our top 4 D without question.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

24 - it's not personal.  I like Stuart.  I just don't over value players because they wear the spoked B.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

24 - it's not personal.  I like Stuart.  I just don't over value players because they wear the spoked B.
    Posted by MeanE

I try not to either, but I think the guy has proven himself to be exactly what we fan-types refer to as "A Bruin".  Hunwick?  Not so much.  Wheeler?  No way.  Some guys just fit and, if PC is smart, he'll keep Stuart around as part of that core of young, hard to play against guys that he wants to build around.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I didn't think it was debatable that Stuart was better than Ference...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Stuart is a top 4 defensemen and I will stand behind my thought that "Stuart has been the Bruins most consistent D-man, maybe player the last two seasons".  There were long periods when he was the best d-man on the team. He can play physical and RARELY makes mistakes.  I would take him over anybody, but Chara as a defensemen on this team. He is the real deal and with him and Savvy signed, the B's are legit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Stuart is the 3rd best d-man on this team. That is a bad thing. While I like Stuart a lot, I think he has to be the 4th guy on this team. Hes a shut down guy. MeanE, i don't think you get that you can be a good player without being an offensive player. Bruins need to get rid of hunwick, and get their number 3 guy.
    Posted by pbergeron37

I knew I'd agree with you on something eventually

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I think people bash Ference because when he makes a mistake, its a killer, like Chara.  Most nights you dont notice Ference out there because he is that good.  He is small, fast, moves the puck well and plays his position.  He is a lunch-pail type of player and has a ton of grit.  He takes on men a lot larger than himself and does well more often than not.  I really like his game.  Again, snake bitten with injuries as of late, but when he is healthy he is a top 4 for sure.  Stuart is very good, VERY physical, and I think Bruin fans notice that more than anything, hence his popularity.  Hnidy is very similar but older and cheaper.  I was disapointed to see him go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

I would love these top 2 two D pairings this year.
    Chara Boychuk
    Stuart Seidenberg
    That way fans can appreciate Stuart. It will be the 1st time he'll get to play with  a good partner instead of the teams worst D man as usual. Stuart always gets screwed because he's old reliable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Stuart can't pass.  If he could pass, he'd be a 3/4.  This year, his passing was improving until he got injured the first time.  It had plateaued before he got injured again, and it regressed (not surprisingly) in the playoffs.

I don't mean he can't make the safe, short pass up the boards or the D to D.  You shouldn't get out of midget if you can't do those things.  I'm talking about putting the puck on the blade of a moving player at the right time.  Starting agressive breakouts.  Moving the puck to a player in a position to attack with it.  He doesn't do that.  Chara's not great at it, but he can do it.  Seidenberg's now the best on the team at it.  Boychuk's hit and miss (more miss, frankly).  Hunwick can do it, but his decision-making can be awful when he does.  Ference can do it.  That's a big part of that difference in winning percentage people have noticed when he plays.

They need to keep him and keep working on his passing.  They need to pay him less than Boychuk - sorry Mark: UFA vs. RFA.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Nice assessment Book!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Stuart can't pass.  If he could pass, he'd be a 3/4.  This year, his passing was improving until he got injured the first time.  It had plateaued before he got injured again, and it regressed (not surprisingly) in the playoffs. I don't mean he can't make the safe, short pass up the boards or the D to D.  You shouldn't get out of midget if you can't do those things.  I'm talking about putting the puck on the blade of a moving player at the right time.  Starting agressive breakouts.  Moving the puck to a player in a position to attack with it.  He doesn't do that.  Chara's not great at it, but he can do it.  Seidenberg's now the best on the team at it.  Boychuk's hit and miss (more miss, frankly).  Hunwick can do it, but his decision-making can be awful when he does.  Ference can do it.  That's a big part of that difference in winning percentage people have noticed when he plays. They need to keep him and keep working on his passing.  They need to pay him less than Boychuk - sorry Mark: UFA vs. RFA.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Great post.  If Stuart hit his prime in 2006, he would absolutely be a top 4 Dman.  But in 2010, he is not (yet). 

The sport has changed dramatically over the last 3 years.  Dmen are not judged solely on physicality anymore.  In today's NHL its all about passing, skating and decision making. 

Stuart is an old school type player (a bruiser) and a good one at that.  But to be a 3M/yr guy (or more), he needs to work on his finesse game.

I'd take Ference over Stuart....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Stuart>Boychuk and Ference

I like Boychuk, Ference is ok, but Stuart is the 3rd best d-man on the Bruins.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Once the Bruins are rid of the albatross contracts of Ryder and Sturm PC will be able to pick up that Dman then all Bruins fans can say "now that is a top 4 Dman!" unfortunately not until next summer or next March.

Here's what PC can't replace with McQuaid (just yet) or Alexandrov. In March the Bruins had games against the Rangers, Atlanta and the one below against Philly where if the Bs had lost no great series against Buffalo. Lapierre and Carcillo were taking runs at the Bruins better forwards and the Caveman said no more! No one on Boston's bench had to nudge Mark he just sent a message on his own. It changed this game completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hgG6Id-FR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpeGJcoKEOA&feature=channel

Can't replace guys like this me thinks PC knows this Stuart stays.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

Give Stuart a pairing with Seidenberg and he finally gets his chance to show his game. By the way, hello Mark, how's your summer going? Keep up the good work but take a 3yr 5.75mil contract. You'll be glad you did (raising that big Cup next spring). 

Sections
Shortcuts