Surprised that some Bruins prospects seem to have trouble with power skating drills

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joliger. Show joliger's posts

Surprised that some Bruins prospects seem to have trouble with power skating drills

I've seen some videos of the Bruins prospects doing power skatings drills at the development camp.  For example from Matt Kalman's blog:
       http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/07/08/video-prospects-have-the-power/#more-9418

In particular, the drill where they zigzag down the ice doing S-shape curves on one foot, either forwards or backwards -- it seems some of the prospects were having trouble or maybe haven't even done this drill before.  This surprises me because you see figure skaters doing similar drills at rinks all the time, and most competitive figure skaters can probably do this drill better than the prospects.  Don't they teach this type of stuff at power skating camps?  Any thoughts?

Since Don Sweeney is married to a former figure skater, maybe he's a big believer in these types of drills.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Surprised that some Bruins prospects seem to have trouble with power skating drills

Hockey isnt about figure skating ...its just a simple exercise for the balance...and this is a '''Development camp''' means to improve the players skills and try to make a better player for each of them ...the B's camp will be held end of Aug ...thats when a few players like Caron, Colborne, Seguin, Marchand, Sauve, Alexandrov will really try to impress to earn a spot with the big club....

Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 (only if Big Wheel stays)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re: Surprised that some Bruins prospects seem to have trouble with power skating drills

Figure skating is done on different skates.

These drills are just being used to test balance and agility and they also mind teach the muscles to do different work and helps in preparing for and preventing of injuries.

They are not all for power skating.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

In almost all cases, figure skaters are phenomenal skaters. figure skating demands power, balance, agility and fabulous edges. It's only natural that power skating drills can occasionally bear resemblance to figure skating, but its just designed to isolate and strengthen those key areas.

Power-skating is one of the most important things for hockey players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Surprised that some Bruins prospects seem to have trouble with power skating drills:
    I've seen some videos of the Bruins prospects doing power skatings drills at the development camp.  For example from Matt Kalman's blog:    http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/07/08/video-prospects-have-the-power/#more-9418 In particular, the drill where they zigzag down the ice doing S-shape curves on one foot, either forwards or backwards -- it seems some of the prospects were having trouble or maybe haven't even done this drill before.  This surprises me because you see figure skaters doing similar drills at rinks all the time, and most competitive figure skaters can probably do this drill better than the prospects.  Don't they teach this type of stuff at power skating camps?  Any thoughts? Since Don Sweeney is married to a former figure skater, maybe he's a big believer in these types of drills.
    Posted by joliger

A few years ago, I was watching the baby penguins practice( with my BRUINS jersey on of course). Anyway, their power skating coach was a former Russian figure skater.(he did a triple axle in hockey skates, after the practice) All of the players looked tentative during the drills. As others have posted, those different techniques are just part of the evolution of the game and training skills.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joliger. Show joliger's posts

I realize hockey is different from figure skating of course, but this drill teaches you to keep your weight centered over your skate, even if you are leaning to one side on a curve (taking into account the lean and centrifugal force).  So this is  just as applicable in hockey.  How often do you see hockey squirts with so-called "weak ankles", using mainly their inside edges to skate?  That's because their weight isn't centered properly.

Anyway, found a couple of videos on the net showing this drill taught in hockey:
         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWLjxzkfyY
         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMNwwS7FIGo

Again I'm still surprised that elite hockey players at the development camp haven't practiced this drill more.  Heck, I'm a recreational skater having played only intramural hockey (and no figure skating).  But I picked up this drill from watching figure skaters, and I can go twice around the rink backwards on one foot without touching the other foot down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Surprised that some Bruins prospects seem to have trouble with power skating drills:
    I realize hockey is different from figure skating of course, but this drill teaches you to keep your weight centered over your skate, even if you are leaning to one side on a curve (taking into account the lean and centrifugal force).  So this is  just as applicable in hockey.  How often do you see hockey squirts with so-called "weak ankles", using mainly their inside edges to skate?  That's because their weight isn't centered properly. Anyway, found a couple of videos on the net showing this drill taught in hockey:      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWLjxzkfyY      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMNwwS7FIGo Again I'm still surprised that elite hockey players at the development camp haven't practiced this drill more.  Heck, I'm a recreational skater having played only intramural hockey (and no figure skating).  But I picked up this drill from watching figure skaters, and I can go twice around the rink backwards on one foot without touching the other foot down.
    Posted by joliger

They're probably not going to need to go around the ice backwards on one foot too many times, so their time is better spent working on other skills.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Actually, Jared Night seemed to make it thru these drills better than most of the others. Of all the talent in this camp, Night, Seguin and Spooner seemed to be the  forwards that stood out the most.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Surprised that some Bruins prospects seem to have trouble with power skating drills:
    Actually, Jared Night seemed to make it thru these drills better than most of the others. Of all the talent in this camp, Night, Seguin and Spooner seemed to be the  forwards that stood out the most.
    Posted by bridgemanusa

I thought Colborne looked pretty good too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Surprised that some Bruins prospects seem to have trouble with power skating drills:
    I've seen some videos of the Bruins prospects doing power skatings drills at the development camp.  For example from Matt Kalman's blog:    http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/07/08/video-prospects-have-the-power/#more-9418 In particular, the drill where they zigzag down the ice doing S-shape curves on one foot, either forwards or backwards -- it seems some of the prospects were having trouble or maybe haven't even done this drill before.  This surprises me because you see figure skaters doing similar drills at rinks all the time, and most competitive figure skaters can probably do this drill better than the prospects.  Don't they teach this type of stuff at power skating camps?  Any thoughts? Since Don Sweeney is married to a former figure skater, maybe he's a big believer in these types of drills.
    Posted by joliger

It's called development camp... Just thought i throw that out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

dudes.  these are important drills.

Jack Parker had his BU teams doing these drills in 1973, his teams aren't half bad you know.

Yes, I was a rink rat at the old Walter Brown arena.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

those drills are done to teach them how to use the edges of their blades.  They are an integral part of power skating and are difficult to learn.  The unfortunate part is that those drills aren't always given the emphasis they should be.  Edges are used in all types of turns and those skaters that can turn on a dime are the ones who have mastered their edges.  It is actually surprising how many NHL skaters are unable to turn both ways with ease.  Classic example would be Hal Gill.  But to clarify they aren't strictly figure skating drills.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Those C-S drills on 1 skate are torture.How did Seguin look today at camp?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Posted by bridgemanusa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2ludeR0BM

This is why Knight demolished the drills. PC and the scouts did an amazing job to pick this guy earlier than people thought he should have gone

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Not surprising at all.  Skating skills are what separates all of these players from each other.  The differences can be subtle, but they're inevitably significant.  I once observed a former NHL player (not a star player) who was then coaching at the AA pro level, beat almost all of his players in a race against the clock:  the coach skated backward figure 8's between the two circles...his players skated forward and most couldn't beat him.  Right then I realized the importance of skating skills in players making it to the NHL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

those drills are done to teach them how to use the edges of their blades.  They are an integral part of power skating and are difficult to learn.  The unfortunate part is that those drills aren't always given the emphasis they should be.  Edges are used in all types of turns and those skaters that can turn on a dime are the ones who have mastered their edges.  It is actually surprising how many NHL skaters are unable to turn both ways with ease.  Classic example would be Hal Gill.  But to clarify they aren't strictly figure skating drills.
    Posted by no1bruinsfan

Quoted for truth