Suspension pending

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Suspension pending

Bob McKenzie tweeted today that James Wiesniewski was going to be suspended for making an "obscene gesture" toward Sean Avery today (Monday). Then he tweeted that it was on Youtube.

He's right. Care to guess how many games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONb5waVYAGM

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: Suspension pending

One game. It was aimed at Avery. If it were Avery doing it, 5 or more. Yes the NHL discipline group plays favorites.

Also, having watched the last half of the St Louis Duck hunt I suspect our old buddy Paul Mara will get one too for third man in. 

In Response to Suspension pending:
    Bob McKenzie tweeted today that James Wiesniewski was going to be suspended for making an "obscene gesture" toward Sean Avery today (Monday). Then he tweeted that it was on Youtube. He's right. Care to guess how many games? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONb5waVYAGM
    Posted by duinne

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Suspension pending:
    One game. It was aimed at Avery. If it were Avery doing it, 5 or more. Yes the NHL discipline group plays favorites. Also, having watched the last half of the St Louis Duck hunt I suspect our old buddy Paul Mara will get one too for third man in.  In Response to Suspension pending :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

Good point, though I think if it was Avery, the suspension would be "indefinite." 

I wish they'd showed Tortorella's reaction. I bet he went out of his skull. LOL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Suspension pending:
    Bob McKenzie tweeted today that James Wiesniewski was going to be suspended for making an "obscene gesture" toward Sean Avery today (Monday). Then he tweeted that it was on Youtube. He's right. Care to guess how many games? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONb5waVYAGM
    Posted by duinne

I think Wisniewski shouldnt get anything just because it was very comical.

So funny

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

suspension? how bout a reward????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

There's a future as a mime for Wiesniewski asfter his career is over! 

Should be interesting to see what Campbell lays down for this one, if anything at all, if we are to use his past judgements on blind-sided, concussion-causing hits from repeat offenders who have made a career of hiding behind the insitigator rule is a measuring stick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

A suspension means this was as bad or worse than cammerelli slashing someone in the neck, back, and ankle.
    The NHL is a complete joke!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

hahahaha im still laughing hahaha suspension + emmy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

A suspension means this was as bad or worse than cammerelli slashing someone in the neck, back, and ankle. The NHL is a complete joke!
    Posted by biggskye

If they suspended Nick Boynton for one game for making a throat-slashing gesture, this should get at least that.

Can't say that I disagree, really. Of course deliberate attempts to injure should incur suspensions (like Cammalleri), but that doesn't mean obscene gestures are OK. Personally, I'd dish out heavier punishments for the former, but the latter also needs to have some consequence.

It was pretty funny, though. I LOL'd.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

I can't imagine getting a suspension for a gesture like that.  Avery was probably saying something much more obscene than that gesture was and he won't get a suspension for it.  Everyone knows that Avery is a piece of sh*t and had it coming.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mish11133. Show Mish11133's posts

I'm always baffled by the NHL's discernment of right and wrong.  So, Wiesniewski has a suspension pending for making a lewd gester, and a couple of years ago, Avery got, I believe a 4-5 game suspension for making a rude remark to another player about his dating his ex-girlfriend.  Okay fine, so the NHL wants to instill a certain code of conduct for it's players - how chilvarous of them!  But when Matt Cook nearly ruins another player's career, he gets nothing.  Guess goonery is fine as long as it's done with a please and a thank you...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I'm always baffled by the NHL's discernment of right and wrong.  So, Wiesniewski has a suspension pending for making a lewd gester, and a couple of years ago, Avery got, I believe a 4-5 game suspension for making a rude remark to another player about his dating his ex-girlfriend.  Okay fine, so the NHL wants to instill a certain code of conduct for it's players - how chilvarous of them!  But when Matt Cook nearly ruins another player's career, he gets nothing.  Guess goonery is fine as long as it's done with a please and a thank you...
    Posted by Mish11133

Avery's comments about Dion Phaneuf's girlfriend were not made to Phaneuf (hell, guys make rude comments to each other constantly on the ice, that's not newsworthy), but to a TV camera crew that Avery deliberately invited to film his obviously prepared, deliberately offense little speech. If it had been anybody else, they probably would have received a slap on the wrist, but since it was Sean Avery, who has a history of embarrasing the league with socially unacceptable behavior, he got hammered (and really, are there many other hockey players who would actually pull a stunt like that?).

As I said, I agree that suspensions should be automatic and heavy for deliberate attempts to injure, but looking at such things as obscene gestures and comments as a totally separate issue, I do agree that there has to be a standard of conduct for the NHL and its minor league affiliates.These are public figures, and their actions are a reflection of the league, for better or for worse.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mish11133. Show Mish11133's posts

In Response to Re: Suspension pending : Avery's comments about Dion Phaneuf's girlfriend were not made to Phaneuf (hell, guys make rude comments to each other constantly on the ice, that's not newsworthy), but to a TV camera crew that Avery deliberately invited to film his obviously prepared, deliberately offense little speech. If it had been anybody else, they probably would have received a slap on the wrist, but since it was Sean Avery, who has a history of embarrasing the league with socially unacceptable behavior, he got hammered (and really, are there many other hockey players who would actually pull a stunt like that?). As I said, I agree that suspensions should be automatic and heavy for deliberate attempts to injure, but looking at such things as obscene gestures and comments as a totally separate issue , I do agree that there has to be a standard of conduct for the NHL and its minor league affiliates.These are public figures, and their actions are a reflection of the league, for better or for worse.
    Posted by duinne

You're absolutely right!  (I should've re-worded that and elaborated more that it was a contrived statemement in front of a camera crew.)  On that note, out of curiousity, I youtubbed the incident to refresh my memory, and oh boy, what a an even more of a jerk the second time around watching this.  And I agree, that there should be a standard of conduct - I just think the NHL's discipline should be evenly measured. Anyway, it boggles the mind how any women could date this creep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR8aQCCf60o

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Made me laugh.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Suspension pending : You're absolutely right!  (I should've re-worded that and elaborated more that it was a contrived statemement in front of a camera crew.)  On that note, out of curiousity, I youtubbed the incident to refresh my memory, and oh boy, what a an even more of a jerk the second time around watching this.  And I agree, that there should be a standard of conduct - I just think the NHL's discipline should be evenly measured. Anyway, it boggles the mind how any women could date this creep.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR8aQCCf60o
    Posted by Mish11133

It boggles me too, but he's in the news a lot (even bad publicity is good publicity, according to some people's standards), so if you're an actress or model or a wanna-be famous type, he's the sort of guy they'd be attracted to.  Walk out of a club on Sean Avery's arm and your picture will be in the NY tabloids.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Not attacking you, Duinne, for posting this because it is a news story, so don't be offended by what I say next. This is exactly the kind of "news" I could care less about. Oooooh one grown man gave another the finger....big deal, so what? Yeah, I get the roll model thing and all that, but, honestly, who cares?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: Suspension pending : If they suspended Nick Boynton for one game for making a throat-slashing gesture, this should get at least that. Can't say that I disagree, really. Of course deliberate attempts to injure should incur suspensions (like Cammalleri), but that doesn't mean obscene gestures are OK. Personally, I'd dish out heavier punishments for the former, but the latter also needs to have some consequence. It was pretty funny, though. I LOL'd.
    Posted by duinne

I think it would be appropriate if the NHL would just FINE players for non-violent trangressions.
       But, as you noted, the league has suspended before for this type of misconduct, so maybe they are stuck with it.
       I do agree that it was funny:)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Not attacking you, Duinne, for posting this because it is a news story, so don't be offended by what I say next. This is exactly the kind of "news" I could care less about. Oooooh one grown man gave another the finger....big deal, so what? Yeah, I get the roll model thing and all that, but, honestly, who cares?
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Um, he didn't give him the finger.  LOL.

I'm not offended. But if someone gets suspended, it's certainly news, and I (and others, apparently) like to be informed of NHL news.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

That was funny by Wiesniewski! That is the same gesture I make when I see Stanley's predictions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Pretty funny that the league made Avery go to anger management councelling after his "sloppy seconds" stunt.  There was no anger involved in that.  It was just an @hole maneuver.  I guess that's because there is no such thing as dooshebag management councelling.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

News is what happened to Pommenville yesterday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

a suspension is ridiculous. Set up a fine system and make it automatic. Boynton should not have been suspended, bad precedent. The language is more than the gestures, so chippy motormouth Avery stimulates equal responses.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

There should be a fine, not a suspension.  Suspensions are a slippery slope and should be used for serious stuff, not for stupid on-ice antics.  Token fine and let it go at that.
    Posted by Ergoetal

I'd go a bit further than a "token" fine, but I agree with the larger point. However, as Bogie6 points out, the precedent has been set. They're not going to let this slide after Boynton's suspension.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

I don't think this warrants a suspension at all. The NHL knows what Avery is about. They should sit down with both players and issue a stern warning. Players like Avery are a joke and the league should not tolerate his antics. I'm sure what he said to provoke this action was as bad or worse as the action it's self.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Wiesniewski gets a two-game suspension, per McKenzie tweet.

Sections
Shortcuts