Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April)

Yeah I know Bruins playing tonight. But for those of us who like to look at Junior hockey while still enjoying the Bruins playoffs, ISS has now moved Hall to #1 (like most people think he should). Brett Connolly really taking a dive to #13.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April)

Seguin isn't a bad pick don't sweat it.

Right now our 2nd pick is a minimum 23rd with a loss, a win will be a minimum 27th, we have lost Skinner, my next pick would be Tyler Toffoli not mentioned in top 30 or possibly Tinordi he seems to be still growing.

32nd pick def Toffoli if he is still available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April):
    Seguin isn't a bad pick don't sweat it. Right now our 2nd pick is a minimum 23rd with a loss, a win will be a minimum 27th, we have lost Skinner, my next pick would be Tyler Toffoli not mentioned in top 30 or possibly Tinordi he seems to be still growing. 32nd pick def Toffoli if he is still available.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

If we lose to Philly our pick will be 16th.  It would be 15th if the Habs move on as well.  Winning the first round does not hurt your draft position.  Only if you get to the Conference final does you pick start getting worse.  In our case, since two lower seeds also made the 2nd round and one of them has to make the Con. final, with a loss we actually improve.  Not that any of us are rooting for that though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : If we lose to Philly our pick will be 16th.  It would be 15th if the Habs move on as well.  Winning the first round does not hurt your draft position.  Only if you get to the Conference final does you pick start getting worse.  In our case, since two lower seeds also made the 2nd round and one of them has to make the Con. final, with a loss we actually improve.  Not that any of us are rooting for that though.
    Posted by Raskman

Good to know Raskman, thanks. I knew the NHL had a different policy than other sports and as I remember the Bruins pick last year was worse than they actually finished. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Raskman - good correction.  I thought it seemed odd that the Bruins would draft only a few spots higher than last year if they lost in the second round despite being the 6th seed.  Never took the time to figure it out, but it was bugging me because I thought it was round by round.  Funny thing is that the system seeds division winners by record right after the conference finalists - so the Capitals know where they'll be drafting already - 25th.  Followed by NJ at 24, and Buffalo at 23.  A little extra dig if you're a great regular season team who chokes in the playoffs!

I don't put as much stock in the ISS as the CSS, and I don't trust either as much as TSN or THN.  It seems counterintuitive since the scouting services are dedicated to scouting, but for some reason the two media sources seem to have better overall analysts.  I get the sense that the scouting service lists should be recorded on the back of a napkin from some hotel bar where a group of regional scouts sit down and defend their guys like they're negotiating the Treaty of Versailles.  Almost everywhere you look, Gormley is behind Gudbranson and Fowler, but here he's #3?  Tarasenko at #4?  And yeah - Toffoli at 31+?  I'm well aware that I've seen next to nothing of Tarasenko and Granlund, Rensfeldt and Larsson, but if I were a GM, I don't think this list would inspire me to pick these guys - I'd only want to know a bit more.

27-30...who knows who's still available when you consider team needs.  Drafting this low in the round probably takes a trade up for a top 5 pick off the table, but it makes packaging this pick and #32 for a mid-rounder or even an established player more palatable.  If they keep the picks, you have to think one or both go to the blueline, or one goes D and the other is a gamble on a guy like Kabanov who could be a huge home run if his only real problem is immaturity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

Edmonton to take Seguin! Spoke to a local NHL scout who is saying Emdonton will find it very difficult to pass up on Seguin. He is too complete of a player and fits need to a T...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : Good to know Raskman, thanks. I knew the NHL had a different policy than other sports and as I remember the Bruins pick last year was worse than they actually finished. 
    Posted by mattymcgee55

Depends on what you mean by 'worse' - regular season, they were 2nd overall so, under the old system, they'd have drafted 29th.  They got Caron 25th.  That's what confused me, because, since the Sharks went out in round one, I figured the Bruins would draft 26th.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bs should just try and move up to get either Hall or Seguin! Oh wait...

http://twitter.com/NotBrianBurke

"The better Boston does, the more I want to stab myself with a garden tool."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

unless the sky has fallen, the B's allready have #2 pick. Where they ultimately end up affects their own picks, not any others from trades

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : Good to know Raskman, thanks. I knew the NHL had a different policy than other sports and as I remember the Bruins pick last year was worse than they actually finished. 
    Posted by mattymcgee55

A couple of weeks ago I was under the impression that every round you win hurts you, but when I read that that losers in the first two rounds are still placed according to regular season it made a lot of sense.  I still think that the regular season should be the only factor in draft order, but I don't get paid millions to make confusing rules that make no sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

It's just been reported with the 2nd pick in this year's draft the Bruins will pick...a great player either way!!!  It would be great to get Hall, but Seguin is just as good...I don't get why people are losing sleep over which one they'll get...either way B's fans should be excited...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Who do you pick later in the draft? The little fast guy, or the bigger slower guy. I think in today's league you go small and fast, but I still like the big guys.
    Lets' face it, it is usually a crap shoot after the top 10 or so, maybe even the top 5.
    Just check out the draft from 5+ years ago, and see how many after the top 2 or 3 actually turn out to be anything, let alone a good player. Yes there is the one or 2 later on, (like Krejci) but of the top 30 picks, you'll only see a few make it.
    Go big I say, and use them to wear the other team down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

NHL.com has some great draft coverage by the way http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm?location=/draft/2010

One of the mock drafts pointed at something most people alread know--Tyler Seguin is vastly better than the rest of his teamates. What drove it home was this: Seguin outscored his teammates by 25 goals and 43 points last season

I mean, think of Seguin with an extra year in the OHL (which Hall has had) with the kind of supporting cast that Hall had.... man, I can only imagine.

What I also know, is that the bruins could really use a right handed shot on the powerplay. I'd love to see Savard, Seguin,  & wing out there.. it would be devastating.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Seguin scored something like 46% of Plymoth's goals this year, and now he's been named league MVP.  He also doesn't have an attitude of entitlement that's been associated with Hall at times.

If I'm an Oiler fan, there is no question who I want to see in an Oiler uniform next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Seguin scored something like 46% of Plymoth's goals this year, and now he's been named league MVP.  He also doesn't have an attitude of entitlement that's been associated with Hall at times. If I'm an Oiler fan, there is no question who I want to see in an Oiler uniform next year.
    Posted by bim09

yeah I want Seguin too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Seguin scored something like 46% of Plymoth's goals this year, and now he's been named league MVP.  He also doesn't have an attitude of entitlement that's been associated with Hall at times. If I'm an Oiler fan, there is no question who I want to see in an Oiler uniform next year.
    Posted by bim09

I hope you're right because if I'm a Bruins fan ( and I am ) and if I had a choice between the two I'd take the player with the attitude of entitlement who in my opinion happens to be the better player of the two.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Posted by bim09

If we get Hall, the slap in the face of going number 2 may be just what he needs to be humbled a bit. 

I'm going to be happy with either kid.  I've really changed my thinking on this one and I hope PC doesn't try to move up.  Just take whoever the Oilers don't and be happy.  There is no reason to give up anything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackedwardsbrownteeth17. Show jackedwardsbrownteeth17's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : If we get Hall, the slap in the face of going number 2 may be just what he needs to be humbled a bit.  I'm going to be happy with either kid.  I've really changed my thinking on this one and I hope PC doesn't try to move up.  Just take whoever the Oilers don't and be happy.  There is no reason to give up anything.
    Posted by Raskman

Good point

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Who do you pick later in the draft? The little fast guy, or the bigger slower guy. I think in today's league you go small and fast, but I still like the big guys. Lets' face it, it is usually a crap shoot after the top 10 or so, maybe even the top 5. Just check out the draft from 5+ years ago, and see how many after the top 2 or 3 actually turn out to be anything, let alone a good player. Yes there is the one or 2 later on, (like Krejci) but of the top 30 picks, you'll only see a few make it. Go big I say, and use them to wear the other team down.
    Posted by perrysound

Size may be a factor at some point in the draft, but the Bruins have been working under the "best player available" status for a while now and it's worked out. We got Bergeron in 2003 because we weren't afraid of his size and loved his skill. We took Colborne because of his skill now and his potential skill level in the NHL. I'm confident in Chiarelli that he'll take the right player for the rest of the picks after the Toronto pick, which is an easy pick to make.

For the record I think Edmonton will take Hall, he's the bigger name and he's getting all of the attention now that Windsor is in the Memorial Cup again. I'd love for them to take Seguin because we could really use a goal scoring winger who steps his game up come playoff time, but we've got a winner in either player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

I actually really like Seguin at this point and am hoping the B's land him at the #2 spot (of course Hall is fine as well).  I really think Seguin will have the better career and just see him being a dominant all around player in a few years.  He'll have the perfect team to develop on...the B's could even send him back for another year of OHL play if they wanted although thats not going to happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

This is how I see this Seguin vs Hall debate.

Hall - 3 seasons, won a Cup on loaded team, Ranked #1 ISS
    Attributes - Speedy winger with skill

Seguin - 2 seasons, carried a very average team, scored 46% of the teams goals, Ontario Hockey League MVP, ranked #1 CSS
    Attributes - Dynamic playmaking center with skill

Team needs:
    Edmonton - Dynamic franchise center for its already loaded winger corps.
    Boston - Dynamic franchise winger for its already loaded center corps.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

This is how I see this Seguin vs Hall debate. Hall - 3 seasons, won a Cup on loaded team, Ranked #1 ISS Attributes - Speedy winger with skill Seguin - 2 seasons, carried a very average team, scored 46% of the teams goals, Ontario Hockey League MVP, ranked #1 CSS Attributes - Dynamic playmaking center with skill Team needs: Edmonton - Dynamic franchise center for its already loaded winger corps. Boston - Dynamic franchise winger for its already loaded center corps.
    Posted by bim09

May I also add for Hall, 2009 MVP for both OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup at the tender age of 17 . Rated #1 by The Hockey News for the 2010 NHL Draft. Led the 2010 OHL playoffs in scoring. Playing in his second Memorial Cup . Tied with Seguin for the regular season scoring title and won a silver medal at this years World Juniors.

Hope your right bim as far as team needs go, it looks like a perfect fit . Seguin to Edmonton , Hall to Boston . We'll just have to wait and see if Edmonton wants Seguin or if they think Hall is too good to pass up despite their needs for a center. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisbruinsfan. Show chrisbruinsfan's posts

Hopefully whichever guy we get will play with a chip on their shoulder for not being selected number 1.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : If we lose to Philly our pick will be 16th.  It would be 15th if the Habs move on as well.  Winning the first round does not hurt your draft position.  Only if you get to the Conference final does you pick start getting worse.  In our case, since two lower seeds also made the 2nd round and one of them has to make the Con. final, with a loss we actually improve.  Not that any of us are rooting for that though.
    Posted by Raskman

Personally, I'm not concerned about the #1 pick; both good hockey players here.  However, I believe that Seguin will play longer and have a more productive career.  His leadership could be the intangible that sets a team apart.  Three of the mock drafts that I previewed had the B's 2nd (first round) pick at #17.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : May I also add for Hall, 2009 MVP for both OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup at the tender age of 17 . Rated #1 by The Hockey News for the 2010 NHL Draft. Led the 2010 OHL playoffs in scoring. Playing in his second Memorial Cup . Tied with Seguin for the regular season scoring title and won a silver medal at this years World Juniors. Hope your right bim as far as team needs go, it looks like a perfect fit . Seguin to Edmonton , Hall to Boston . We'll just have to wait and see if Edmonton wants Seguin or if they think Hall is too good to pass up despite their needs for a center. 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

How would you compare these two to when Ovechkin and Malkin came out 1-2 in 2004?  Do you think they are on that level?

Sections
Shortcuts