Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April)

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April):
    In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : How would you compare these two to when Ovechkin and Malkin came out 1-2 in 2004?  Do you think they are on that level?
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

No , you can't compare them at that level IMO. Those two and Crosby coming out were considered future superstars where these guys are considered a notch or two lower ( franchise cornerstone players ). But who knows how these two will turn out. IMO Hall has a chance to be something special but we'll have to wait and see.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : No , you can't compare them at that level IMO. Those two and Crosby coming out were considered future superstars where these guys are considered a notch or two lower ( franchise cornerstone players ). But who knows how these two will turn out. IMO Hall has a chance to be something special but we'll have to wait and see.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Could they be compared to Tavares?  Or not even on that level?  Tavares was a stud.  Look at his numbers compared to either Seguin or Hall.  He scored over 100 points in each of his last 3 years in the OHL.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2009/NHL-Draft-Profiles/John-Tavares
    http://www.mynhldraft.com/2010/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Tyler-Seguin
    http://www.mynhldraft.com/2010/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Taylor-Hall

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : Could they be compared to Tavares?  Or not even on that level?  Tavares was a stud.  Look at his numbers compared to either Seguin or Hall.  He scored over 100 points in each of his last 3 years in the OHL. http://www.mynhldraft.com/2009/NHL-Draft-Profiles/John-Tavares http://www.mynhldraft.com/2010/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Tyler-Seguin http://www.mynhldraft.com/2010/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Taylor-Hall
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

Hall played against Tavares in  last year's playoffs and was the better player IMO. He won the MVP for last years playoffs . Much better skater than Tavares and more dynamic . Tavares is a sniper plain and simple . Seguin's game has improved year after year. They are 3 different types of players so hard to compare . Hall - dynamic , fast and creative. Tavares - goal scorer with sweet hands   Seguin - best two way player with a nice upside to his game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

In comparing these players to last years draft you hear the names Tavares for Hall and Duchane for Seguin.  The fact is that both Seguin and Hall are considered to be better then both of those rookies already and that says a lot.  Are they Crosby and Malkin type impact players from the start?..most likely not, but in three or four years they could be among the elite in the NHL.

Just imagine adding Yzerman or Bure to the B's....obviously thats the highest possible praise but an amazing thought none the less.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : Could they be compared to Tavares?  Or not even on that level?  Tavares was a stud.  Look at his numbers compared to either Seguin or Hall.  He scored over 100 points in each of his last 3 years in the OHL. http://www.mynhldraft.com/2009/NHL-Draft-Profiles/John-Tavares http://www.mynhldraft.com/2010/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Tyler-Seguin http://www.mynhldraft.com/2010/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Taylor-Hall
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

I haven't seen Hall or Seguin like Chowdahkid, but I came across this article, where some scouts were asked on April 1, 2010:

1.) Where would they have put Hall or Seguin in last year's draft.
    2.) How do Hall and Seguin compare to previous draft picks such as Hodgson, Eberle, Filatov, Colin Wilson, Braydon Schenn.
    3.) How some of next year's top prospects would do in this year's draft.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2010/04/seguin-hall-how-they-compare-to-past.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Thats a great article Numba. Interesting take, too bad its anonymous I would love to know which GMs have the different opinions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

scouts not Gms

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : Personally, I'm not concerned about the #1 pick; both good hockey players here.  However, I believe that Seguin will play longer and have a more productive career.  His leadershipo could be the intangible that sets a team apart.  Three of the mock drafts that I previewed had the B's 2nd (first round) pick at #17.
    Posted by BTownExpress

That was our tentative spot.  The odds of us being in that spot were good, but the odds were beaten in this case and we will not be picking at #17.  If we finish off the Flyers, then the best it can be is #27.  I'm betting in that mock draft they had the Caps at #30.  They will be picking 26th now.  Whoever wins the Cup picks 30th.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

What makes me really excited about the next few years is the young talent this team has/will have. Bergie, Lucic, Rask, Kreiji, Vladi, Wheeler, Hall/Seguin, Colborne, Tornoto's #1 pick next year (probably a top 10) all under 24! 

GMs around the league must be shaking their heads with every Bruins win thinking "and this team get's the number 2 pick?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bos66. Show bos66's posts

Earlier in the week I listened to Brian Kilrea (ottawa 67's GM) on the radio and he said that Hall is head and shoulders the better player.  And he said that for all the people out there saying that Seguin could go 1st because he is a Center, he noted that Hall was a Center right up until he hit junior.  In their head-to-head playoff series this year Hall had 12 points and Seguin 0.  On another note, Toffoli is a great player who I've watched regularly the last couple of years and he is a natural goal scorer with loads of talent.  Definately will go in the first round and could be a steal.   Kilrea drafted him and is really high on him.  I think San Jose will trade up in the draft to get him.  Former 67's player Doug Wilson loves drafting Kilrea players  (Couture, McGinn, Staubitz, Joslin, Demers etc).  I would love it if Chiarelli drafted him.  Who knows, Chiarelli has an Ottawa connection.
    Go Bruins...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Earlier in the week I listened to Brian Kilrea (ottawa 67's GM) on the radio and he said that Hall is head and shoulders the better player.  And he said that for all the people out there saying that Seguin could go 1st because he is a Center, he noted that Hall was a Center right up until he hit junior.  In their head-to-head playoff series this year Hall had 12 points and Seguin 0.  Posted by bos66

He might have said that, but it doesn't make it true. Plenty of scouts (the majority?) think that Seguin is equally as good or slightly better. Another thing is, Hall is a winger, not a center, so don't get any ideas. Just like Seguin is a center, not a wing. The Oilers would be stupid to draft Hall to play center when the best center is Seguin.

As far as outplaying Seguin in the playoffs, the spitfires have a hell of a lot more depth. In the playoffs, if you one feature one star player, its really easy to shut him down. Additionally, give Seguin one more year of Juniors, and he'd probably be more mature, and more capable of handling the load in the playoffs.

Its much closer than you make it out to be."head and shoulders" is really pushing it. they tied in points during the regular season....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    May I also add for Hall, 2009 MVP for both OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup at the tender age of 17 . Rated #1 by The Hockey News for the 2010 NHL Draft. Led the 2010 OHL playoffs in scoring. Playing in his second Memorial Cup . Tied with Seguin for the regular season scoring title and won a silver medal at this years World Juniors. Hope your right bim as far as team needs go, it looks like a perfect fit . Seguin to Edmonton , Hall to Boston . We'll just have to wait and see if Edmonton wants Seguin or if they think Hall is too good to pass up despite their needs for a center. 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Yes, your right.  I forgot about the MVP last year for both.  He probably didn't have a groin injury either.  Also, they tied for the scoring title, but not goals.  Seguin scored more goals in his sophmore year than Hall did in either of his 2009 or 2010 season's.

I'd also like to just point out that the hockey writers are journalists with an opinion that bears no consequence, not scouts who feed their families with it.  And, like the Cup, he didn't win the silver medal by himself, he had alot of help.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Yes, your right.  I forgot about the MVP last year for both.  He probably didn't have a groin injury either.  Also, they tied for the scoring title, but not goals.  Seguin scored more goals in his sophmore year than Hall did in either of his 2009 or 2010 season's. I'd also like to just point out that the hockey writers are journalists with an opinion that bears no consequence, not scouts who feed their families with it.  And, like the Cup, he didn't win the silver medal by himself, he had alot of help.
    Posted by bim09

bim , also 12 points to 0 head to head in the playoffs. What did you think of those games ? Were they fast or slow paced games ? What did you think of Ryan Ellis' play this year or how about Matt Hackett and A.J Jenks ? What did you think of the play of Phillip Grubaeur and Adam Henrique during the playoffs ? And who had the puck more then any other player in the OHL playoffs in your opinion ? All questions concerning the OHL. You should know the answers if you have seen these two play this year because they are all teammates of Hall and Seguin. My opinion isn't always right but it has been formed on this topic by my eyes not by the media. Can you say the same ? I remember you building up Kabonov as a top 10 pick ( and I know you love this guy ). Scouts have him rated pretty low ? What do you think , maybe the almighty scouts have him rated wrong ? What about Jeff Skinner ? Why does  one scouting service have him at (ISS)#9 and the other in the (CSS) 30's. Why the big discrepancy ? I guess by your statement earlier that one set of scouts will be losing their jobs because of not rating him right. 

P.S. I respect the fact that you like Seguin but to say you like either player because of reading something and not actually watching these two play more than a few times is as curious of a statement as bruins8 saying that they're not very good at all. How can anybody form an opinion based on that ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

chowda, So you're saying you actually have to SEE something to believe it?

You realize we live in a country where 70% of the population believes an imaginary man is watching them at all times and will grant them wishes/intervene on their behalf, and reward them with paradise or punsh them for eternity. Why? Certainly not because they've seen evidence.

Its probably important to recognize in advance that the conversation is based on stats and what is written about Segun and Hall, and less on eyewitness accounts. While that's more than you can say about religion, you still have to take it for what its worth; somethings are going to be right, other things aren't going to pan out. But I think we're entitled to speculate a bit. There is enough hard-evidence suggesting they are both exceptional hockey players and better than their competition. We can lean on statistics when making claims about things we can't see.

But its a sad truth that people tend to believe anything or everything they read.

The lie that goes unchecked, becomes the truth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

chowda, So you're saying you actually have to SEE something to believe it? You realize we live in a country where 70% of the population believes an imaginary man is watching them at all times and will grant them wishes/intervene on their behalf, and reward them with paradise or punsh them for eternity. Why? Certainly not because they've seen evidence. People tend to believe anything or everything they read. The lie that goes unchecked, becomes the truth.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

Huh ? Well maybe HE can give us HIS draft rankings. Thought I was on the Bruins message board not the religious section. Thank you for that sermon Father OC. LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

God's Mock Draft:

Edmonton: Tyler Seguin
    Boston: Brandon Gormley
    Florida: Taylor Hall
    Columbus: Cam Fowler
    New York: Erik Gudbranson

After the draft, Peter Chiarelli explained why he shocked everyone and passed on Hall @ 2, "Last night, when I was sleeping, God appeared in my dream and told me he tought Gormley was really under-rated. God said he's never seen him play, but he just "has a feeling about this kid". I was uneasy about it at first, but he said he has a pretty good track record of being right about everything. To be honest fellas, it's hard to disagree with an omniscient diety when he appears in your dream...I know some of the fans will be dissapointed, but Gormley it is, and Gormley it will be."

Be prepared Boston, the end is near

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Yet another mock draft - http://www.rldhockey.net/2010/05/2010-mock-draft-10-lottery.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

God's Mock Draft: Toronto: Tyler Seguin Bruins: Brandon Gormley Florida: Taylor Hall Columbus: Cam Fowler NYI: Erik Gudbranson After the draft, Peter Chiarelli explains why he shocked everyone and passed on Hall @ 2, "Last night, when I was sleeping, God appeared in my dream and told me he tought Gormley was really under-rated. God said he's never seen him play, but he just "has a feeling about this kid". To be honest fellas, it's hard to disagree with an omniscient diety when he appears in your dream...I know some of the fans will be dissapointed, but Gormley it is, and Gormley it will be" Be prepared Boston, the end is near

Well since you have the inside track to the man upstairs you can ask him just how Toronto is going to pick Seguin at #1 when it's Edmonton that has the 1st pick overall.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : Well since you have the inside track to the man upstairs you can ask him just how Toronto is going to pick Seguin at #1 when it's Edmonton that has the 1st pick overall.
    Posted by winexpos

LOL OOPS, major oversight... corrected

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

God's Mock Draft: Toronto: Tyler Seguin Boston: Brandon Gormley Florida: Taylor Hall Columbus: Cam Fowler New York: Erik Gudbranson After the draft, Peter Chiarelli explained why he shocked everyone and passed on Hall @ 2, "Last night, when I was sleeping, God appeared in my dream and told me he tought Gormley was really under-rated. God said he's never seen him play, but he just "has a feeling about this kid". I was uneasy about it at first, but he said he has a pretty good track record of being right about everything. To be honest fellas, it's hard to disagree with an omniscient diety when he appears in your dream...I know some of the fans will be dissapointed, but Gormley it is, and Gormley it will be." Be prepared Boston, the end is near

TOO LATE !!!!!!!! GAFF IS UP ABOVE !!!!!

BREAKING NEWS : God grants the Leafs #1 overall pick because he's a Leafs fan. Sorry Edmonton you'll have to wait to the 2nd round. Gormley off to Boston. Hall goes third. Apparently God doesn't watch junior hockey either or does he know who's picking first.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bos66. Show bos66's posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : He might have said that, but it doesn't make it true. Plenty of scouts (the majority?) think that Seguin is equally as good or slightly better. Another thing is, Hall is a winger, not a center, so don't get any ideas. Just like Seguin is a center, not a wing. The Oilers would be stupid to draft Hall to play center when the best center is Seguin. As far as outplaying Seguin in the playoffs, the spitfires have a hell of a lot more depth. In the playoffs, if you one feature one star player, its really easy to shut him down. Additionally, give Seguin one more year of Juniors, and he'd probably be more mature, and more capable of handling the load in the playoffs. Its much closer than you make it out to be."head and shoulders" is really pushing it. they tied in points during the regular season....

Well I know one thing, I would take Kilrea's word against anyone else on this planet when it comes to judging Junior talent.  He's the all-time winningest coach in junior hockey history and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame and is still going strong in his 70's running the 67's.  He's had a hand in putting more junior players into the NHL than any other person.  He coached the 67's for 32 years and missed the playoffs once.  If he says head and shoulders, that's good enough for me.  You can believe whoever you want.  If a team drafts Hall and converts him back to a Center, his natural position, then that's their decision.  I think the oilers will take the most talented player available and that's Hall.  Which is a bummer for us.   And I agree, the Spits have a lot more talent but 0 points?? Come on.  If he's that easy to shutdown maybe we should look at one of the 3 D available instead.  Just a thought.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : Well I know one thing, I would take Kilrea's word against anyone else on this planet when it comes to judging Junior talent.  He's the all-time winningest coach in junior hockey history and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame and is still going strong in his 70's running the 67's.  He's had a hand in putting more junior players into the NHL than any other person.  He coached the 67's for 32 years and missed the playoffs once.  If he says head and shoulders, that's good enough for me.  You can believe whoever you want.  If a team drafts Hall and converts him back to a Center, his natural position, then that's their decision.  I think the oilers will take the most talented player available and that's Hall.  Which is a bummer for us.   And I agree, the Spits have a lot more talent but 0 points?? Come on.  If he's that easy to shutdown maybe we should look at one of the 3 D available instead.  Just a thought.
    Posted by bos66

And I think winexpos will vouch for this statement because he was at the games . Saying that Hall can't play center is something that is false . He is taking a lot of faceoffs during the playoffs and has played center earlier in the year. He has the ability and hockey sense to play any of the forward positions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

i never said "Can't", I said "won't"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Chowdaw, I know what the numbers say and when Hackett has a 3 1/2 GAA and Grubauers' is 2 2/3 with 16 wins, 1 loss and a worse svs %, I know that Hackett got shelled and his team didn't score goals.  I wonder why.  And to answer your question "Did i see the games?", not all of them, no.  But I didn't need to, I saw enough during the regular season to form my opinion.

And i wasn't the only one speaking highly of KK.  He's still a dominant player, but his head is not right.  That's why he fell in the rankings, not because of talent.

Skinner is just a stud, but the CSS scouts seem to be more cautious in their rankings.  But, in the same sense, if their a more practical and cautious ranking service, why do they have Tyler Seguin at #1?  Speaks to how strongly they feel about him, don't you think?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Taylor Hall ISS new #1 (April) : I haven't seen Hall or Seguin like Chowdahkid, but I came across this article, where some scouts were asked on April 1, 2010: 1.) Where would they have put Hall or Seguin in last year's draft. 2.) How do Hall and Seguin compare to previous draft picks such as Hodgson, Eberle, Filatov, Colin Wilson, Braydon Schenn. 3.) How some of next year's top prospects would do in this year's draft. http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2010/04/seguin-hall-how-they-compare-to-past.html
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

Numba , that was a really good article . Thanks . Just goes to show you that there is a wide range of opinions about who is the better player . Interesting !!