Tell your most interesting story about an NHL player you know, met, bumped into, etc.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Tell your most interesting story about an NHL player you know, met, bumped into, etc.

Years ago, actually the day the Pats won their first superbowl, I was in Chicago.  There was a Chicago Wolves mid day game, so I got tix for that, 1st row right behind the goal.  I was there early, I like to watch warm ups, when this short unattractive overweight woman with bad teeth (Southern accent) asks if I would mind if she sat in my seat for a little bit so she could say hi to her boyfriend.  I agreed and asked who the boyfriend was, it was John Gruden (playing for the visiting Grand Rapids Griffins).  I thought wow, a former Boston Bruin and this is his 'girlfriend'?  I thought she was just some nut - especially since Gruden was with the visiting team, but when Gruden came through the tunnel, he stopped to talk to her for a second.  She thanked me and left.

I can only guess that Gruden must have met her at some point and humored her or something.  It's not as if John Gruden is a household name in pro hockey...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IcedAdam. Show IcedAdam's posts

Re: Tell your most interesting story about an NHL player you know, met, bumped into, etc.

My Fiancée gave Craig Adams' kids swimming lessons during the Carolina Cup run.  I got to see the travelling Lord Stanley up close and personal when they won.  He's a good guy and gets pretty awesome luck with getting placed on the right team at the right time.

Maybe he's the catalyst... haha

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Re: Tell your most interesting story about an NHL player you know, met, bumped into, etc.

Went to Shooters in Providence, RI (no longer there) for a fundraising event for the Groden Center where my girlfriend and I worked, teaching kids and adults with autism in the 1986 or 1987.  On the second floor there was a dance area with the obligatory disco ball, so I was hanging around outside by the pool area, instead.  So, my girlfriend asks me if I'll come upstairs and dance and tells me that Cam Neely is up there.  Sure, I say, nice try, and I decline, not being the biggest of disco lovers (the ruin of music for a decade and a half, in my opinion).  I never did go upstairs and, of course, it was confirmed that Cam was up there standing on the sidelines, watching the dance floor. 

My loss ... I could have stood with Cam and talked to him about ... how disco ruined ... oh, whatever. 

On the plus side, my wife and talk about that evening and my poor decision fairly often - she thinks the story's quite funny and includes her theories about male stubborness and ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

highest bidder for a jimmy fund nite. dinner table of 5 with bobby orr ! he,s is everything people say he is. a great person and gentleman. while other celebrities were exiting after dinner bobby stay until the end signing autograph and taking pictures we are lucky to have such a star in our community

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

2 stories actually!

First one was about a month after the Avs and Ray Bourque won the cup, I was shopping with my wife at Silver City Galleria. We were there for a little while and then we saw a bunch of people setting up ropes and a table because Ray Bourque was coming in for an autograph session. So I figured why not hang around to see Ray. Well everyone is waiting for Ray to arrive, looking in all directions. When low and behold he comes strolling in right by me from a side entrance where no one was watching!

2nd story is from my wife...she used to work for an OBGYN office in Providence in the late 90's. She worked in the front office and 2 of the patients there were Bill Armstrong's (former P-Bruin player and coach) and Anti Laaksonen's wives! Both came in with thier wives who were pregnant.

Also met a ton of Bruins at one of the wive's carnivals, but that does not count!

I have 2 football stories too but we can save that for another post! :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Delta14. Show Delta14's posts

I used to be a linesman in a men's league in Connecticut a long time ago.  Used to work with a guy named Jim Kelly (ESPN announcer). We had 2 games on this particular Saturday and Jim tells me there's going to be someone he wants me to meet between the games.  After game one, out comes Ted Lindsay from the Detroit RedWings - skated with him for about 20 minutes or so - just didn't want to get to close to his stick.

I also got to meet Joe Watson & Ed Van Impe at the Philadelphia Naval Hospital when I was there in '67 - also got to work with Van Impe in '75 when he was learning the insurance business - I got to work with him on some of his accounts.

toys 0311

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I played in an exhibition game against the St Louis Blues Alumni a few years ago, and sat in the dressing room with Rob Ramage.  He sat and shot the sh*t like any guy from a beer league.  Asked me about my playing days, and seemed halfway interested... unlike most people, let alone a former NHLer.

He showed me his Stanley Cup ring like... well... just another hockey player.  I'll never forget how down to Earth and nice the guy was, and genuine as well.

I've been lucky to meet quite a few NHL players, and almost to a man the thing that's struck me has been their humble, decent personalities.  Comparing them to the thugs in the NFL and the NBA or the spoiled brats in MLB is mind-boggling.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

When I was younger I was a bartender at a hotel in my hometown.  I had a gentleman ask me for a wine list in a raspy voice and when I looked up it was Bobby Hull.  FYI...he really likes his Wolf Blass Yellow Label.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Had the great experience of playing with Scott Pellerin and Hobie Baker winner Hubie McDonough in a couple charity tourney's every year. Great guys - not afraid to knock down the 9 beers we fit in the trophy after winning. Looking to repeat for the 3rd striaght yr this weekend. Too bad Pellerin is in NJ this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Guy Trottier, 1970-71 Toronto Maple Leafs.

I was an ice cream bar vendor that season. After the games 4 or 5 of us young lads would head down to the dressing rooms for autographs of the Leafs and visiting players.

Guy took a shine to us, since he'd see us all the time and later found out that we were vendors. He'd give us all manner of items throughout the year: sticks, pucks, practise sweaters, gloves, towels etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Lefty Wilson, trainer 1970-71 Detroit Red Wings.

The concessions manager told me and another young lad that we were needed at the Detroit dressing room about 1 hour before game time.

Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe, greeted us as we stepped in. Could you please get me three coffees he asked. We were mesmerized. Lefty come over and with a stream of profanities asked what we were doing there and get the f**k outta here.

Gordie explained to him what we were there for but Lefty continued his profanity. We left to get the coffees and hurried back.

As soon as we entered there was Lefty again. "Now get the f**k out and don't come back." Gordie gave us each a $2 bill. And over again come Lefty and his profanity and chases us out. He didn't even give us a chance to get an autograph.

The Wings did not play well that night and got hammered 13-0. After the game my buddy and I went down to the dressing rooms and let Lefty have it. "That's what you get you old sour puss!" And a few other nice words and phrases.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Oh yah, got another one.  My sister was dating a former Green Beret and went to a party at Hascom.  She gave me a call on her cell phone and asked if I wanted to talk to Chris Nilan's father who was at her elbow (he's a former green beret or something like that).  Since this was totally out of the blue I thought it was a joke and just asked him questions that would prove to me he really knew who Chris Nilan was, who he played for and etc.  Next time I'll be ready...  It would have been fun to ask him what it was like to be the father of one of the most hated guys around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I will say my "football" stories are better. But I used to work for a large hockey retailer in NH across from an arena, off days were often spent at stick practice.
    Over the summer a lot of the former UNH and Maine guys are in that area and I ended up at a stick practice with Mowers (i think it was during his stint with Detroit)  
    At One point I put a nice move on him smoked him pretty bad, he made it clear he was half a$s'in it by then proceed to come down my side and at me like his next 5 possessions..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

I think it was 2 years ago. I was on the promanade (floor 9) watching a B's game. during the 1st intermission walking around I almost litteraly walked into Cam. Not too sure if it was just how my innards work when I walk into my boyhood idol, but I immediatly passed gas. I had no say in the matter. So I just kept walking, couldn't bear to be the guy that Cam remembers for my stank.

Hows that for a brutally honest story?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

The only NHL player I ever knowingly met was an old man named Marcel.  He was an old man then, and wore Coke bottle glasses.  Nobody ever used his last name, but if I recall, it was French Canadian.  He had a vacuum cleaner/small appliance repair shop in my home town.  Once I had him overhaul a hand-me-down vacuum cleaner in the mid 80s.  On one of the trips to his shop, the conversation turned to hockey. 

Come to find out, he used to play for the original Ottawa Senators in the 1920s.  I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that he said he won the Cup with them.  He said that things were much different back then, with players working jobs in the summer since the pay wasn't great in the NHL.  All of the travel was by bus, of course.  He chuckled, and was about the most animated I'd ever seen him when talking about his time in the league. 

Hmmm... I haven't thought about old Marcel since I have had internet access.  Time to do some research.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm not much for striking up conversations with players - or anyone 'famous' - just because I recognize them.  All of my stories are of the slightly-removed variety.  None of them are that interesting.  One very bitter night, I found myself walking about 10 yards behind the only other people out - three guys in expensive wool coats, leather gloves, and dress shoes.  The tallest of the three looked like he had a 16th C. French nobleman's wig on his head, so I quickly recognized him as then-18 or 19yr. old Jaromir Jagr.  When they looked around before crossing the street, I saw the guys with him were Tocchet and Trottier, clearly chaperoning the kid.

Coming out of a liquor store one afternoon, I walked out onto a fairly quiet side street.  There was one other guy on the street.  He had a huge black cowboy had, jean jacket, cowboy boots, and he walked like a retired bull-rider: bowlegged, gimpy, wincing.  So when I recognized him, the irony of "Clear the track!  Here come Shack!" dawned on me immediately.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emjake5236. Show emjake5236's posts

Last year im walking to a game with my fiance right after the olympics when bergeron was hurt and out a few games after and my fiance says "oh my god, thats patrice bergeron walking right in front of us!!!, and I say no its not he looks to small" and this goes on for about 50 yards. As we get closer to the Fleetcenter a scalper walks up to the bergy looking fellow and tries to sell him tickets- and then stops dead in his tracks and after trying to sell him tickets and goes "Hey congrats on the gold buddy your the best!" My fiance' turned around and said you see I told you...

Needless to say, I got hosed, it was indeed Bergy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77Fan. Show 77Fan's posts

My Grandfather grew up in Cupar Saskatchewan in the early 1900's. He was a boyhood friend of Eddie Shore. In the 70's, Eddie came to ontario (where I reside) for a visit, i got to have supper with him ( i was just a kid then)
     My grand father went to Boston to visit Eddie in the 1930's one time. Eddie was nursing and injury at the time and told my gramps to bring his goalie gear down. Gramps got to skate with a few of the B's.
    After he was done, he accidentally left a shin pad (that he wore under his goalie pads) on the bench. Eddie found it and asked if he could try it out for a couple games, Gramps said keep it.
    Years passed, and the HHOF had a travelling exhibit come into town. Gramps took a tour of it. Low and behold, donated by the Shore family..... My grandfather's shine pad.Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Met Neely, Sobotka, Krejci, and Kessel as they were walking into the Bell Center in the early afternoon for a game against the Habs that night. Actually, Neely and Jeff Ward were walking together, probably 40-50 feet ahead of the other three.

Then, on my way home, ran into Andy Brickley about a kilometer away from the rink. Pretty lucky day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottgj. Show scottgj's posts

Went to South Station for a Toys for Tot drive that Rick Tocchett was going to be signing autographs.....favorite player at that time.   There was already a long line so I handed my toy to the Marines that were standing there and left.  I ended up stopping at a bagel/coffee cart outside and sure enough Rick walked up behind me to get a coffee.  I was able to talk to him for a few minutes and get an autograph without waiting in line.  Awesome experience.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1629888. Show user_1629888's posts

A few years ago, Wayne Cashman was outside the Nassau Coliseum, walking from the hotel to the arena.  My son was getting autographs.  While Wayne was signing, I noticed he had a very dark spot on his pants right below his butt.  I said "Wayne, looks like you sat in something?"  He said,  " No, i didn't have time to go to the bathroom!"  We had a good laugh!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

got a couple i would like to share, dont bump into many bruins out here in socal so when i do, sometimes it's hard to beleive it's them. I have also noticed that they seem to not be noticed around here so when someone does notice there pretty damn cool, at least in my experience.

I meet tyler seguin before he was drafted. Actually right before he walked into staples with his family. could'nt beleive it.  I walked up to the entrance and noticed  a camera man interviewing a suit as I got closer i could see it was tyler. walked up shook his hand and told i cant wait to see you on the ice next year good luck, he thanked me, and next thing i know i was being ushered to the side by a TSN guy asking if thought this was the bruins man, i told him most defintely. he asked few more questions  that I cant remember what because i was trying to find my friend with the camera and tried to get back to tyler for a pic but he was surrounded by then. defintely somthin special though.
    met willie o ree walking around the staples a few minutes later got my pic with him, and then mark recchi in line to get food.. weird thing nobody knew who the highest scoring current player in the nhl was til i told them all he was standing feet away,lol.. only in L.A.

by far my favorite meeting was last time B's visited anaheim, horrible game but got to meet cam and had him sign my spokes!!!! totla thrill. funny thing he was pretty nice to a drunk guy throwin his jersey over the top of a pressbox.

im sure alot people have better stories living in closer proxomity to the hub but for me they were blue moons...

GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts