Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess)

Per TSN

"Due to cap constraints, injuries to forwards Brian Rolston and defenceman Anton Volchenkov, along with a suspension to forward Luc Letourneau-Leblond; the New Jersey Devils iced a team featuring only 15 skaters for a matinee tilt with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  The Devils only dressed nine forwards and six defenceman and in a 3-1 loss to the Pens.

While there were healthy players available to call up from the Devils farm team in Albany, due to the team's close proximity to the NHL's mandated $59.4 million salary cap, New Jersey was unable to ice a full roster that would fit under the cap."

I have never heard of an NHL team being unable to skate a full roster. Its just ludicrous and a terrible position for the NJD to be in. It seems pretty bushleague to only ice 3 lines total and be unable to have any callups do to cap restraints. Heres to hoping the only dress 9 forwards and 6 D vs us on saturday, should be an interesting game.

Oh, and I guess that Kovy signign worked out great huh Lou?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Skaters (Glad were not in that mess)

Lou has so much pride and probably doesn't want to just give away salary for almost nothing in return. I'm sure he's tried and still trying . Only thing is the more he waits the worse the situation and any leverage he had.
    That reminds me, the Devils are the Bruins next opponent, Saturday (too far away).
    I also heard the deal for Kovalchuk was not Lou's idea but the owners forcing of the hand. Any truth in that ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Re: Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess)

The Flames ran into the same problem last season, although they were only down one or two players.  The Bruins could very well find themselves in a similar situation when Sturm and/or Savard return. 

Contrary to popular beilef, having players on LTIR does not automatically give a team more cap room.  Capgeek has a good explanation of LTIR cap relief here: http://www.capgeek.com/FAQ.php .  Basically, the Bruins get cap relief for the  salaries above the team's cap limit for players brought in to replace players on LTIR.  That means that while the team can go over the cap while Savard and Sturm are on LTIR, they will have no cap room when either one or both players return.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Yes, it was reported that the Owner made the deal, not Lou. I can't see Lou making it, for many reasons. But he has to live with it that is for sure.
    My only question is when will Lou be a free-agent? Maybe very soon if he has to put up with an owner like that.

I can only think of a handful of players that should get Max $. Ovie, Sydney, .....hummmmm..... Even guys like Keith or Kane don't deserve that kind of coin.
    Kovalchuck will be the death of that team (and Marty getting old, fast)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Hopefully when Chiarelli's contract is up we'll be able to hire Lamoriello.  Great GM, would make the Bruins competitive fast without damaging the core of young guys we have and Chara.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

We very well may be in this exact situation later in the year when Savard and Sturm are back.  Our roster is well over the cap.  We will have to trim down about 4 million in salary and run with a minium roster without much room for call ups.   Hopefully Chia can talk both Savard and Sturm to take a 2 week conditioning stint in the AHL which would remove them from our cap and save us some space before they return.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Conditioning loans won't help:
    50.10.d.ii
    The Player Salary and Bonuses of the Player that has been deemed unfit-to-play shall continue to be counted toward the Club's Averaged Club Salary as well as count against the Players' Share during the League Year in which the Player is deemed un-fit-to-play (including during the period such unfit-to-play Player is on a Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan to another league);

The Bruins won't be exactly in the same situation, though.  They simply won't be able to activate Sturm/Savard (which ever returns later) until there is cap space.  I haven't been able to figure out if the team would suffer fines or penalties for not clearing space immediately.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Why the hell is the cap so LOW!  I dont get why teams are paying players $7+ million when the cap is so low.  You gotta look at the big picture, and the big picture doesnt include guys making that kind of cash unless they are so selfish about the money that they really DONT care about winning.  There is a league minimum, why not league maximum?  I am not one who believes athletes are overpaid (at least not MOST hockey players) so dont start in on that, but I just dont see how teams can pay a few select guys big bucks and expect to win.

I am definitely curious to see what happens if/when Savard & Sturm come back for sure, but beyond that, whats going to happen in a couple years?  Theyre going to have to let guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Wheeler, Horton, etc., move on because they are going to put up huge numbers and want $5+ mill each (maybe not Wheeler).  I think the Bruins are going to be an ugly team in the next 3-5 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

So, if he gets hurt, the Devs are really short-handed, yeah?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

There is a league maximum - It's around $11M at the moment (it's 20% of the cap I think).
    The answer to your question (well, my answer at least) is that it is the expected result of the cap: parity.  In the long run, each team will have a few big-buck players, and then fill in around them with emerging players, cheap veterans, and middle-of-the-pack guys.  We are at a point where this is starting to happen somewhat (Penner in Edmonton, Kessel in Toronto), but there is still some equilibrating to be done.  Overly big cap hits for one player (unless we're talking Ovechkin etc) certainly seem to handicap teams, but GMs just can't control themselves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess):
    [QUOTE]Yes, it was reported that the Owner made the deal, not Lou. I can't see Lou making it, for many reasons. But he has to live with it that is for sure. My only question is when will Lou be a free-agent? Maybe very soon if he has to put up with an owner like that. I can only think of a handful of players that should get Max $. Ovie, Sydney, .....hummmmm..... Even guys like Keith or Kane don't deserve that kind of coin. Kovalchuck will be the death of that team (and Marty getting old, fast)
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

Reported by whom? The only thing I saw on the situation was speculation (from Dupont, IIRC) that this was so. Do you have a link?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess):
    [QUOTE]Yes, it was reported that the Owner made the deal, not Lou. I can't see Lou making it, for many reasons. But he has to live with it that is for sure. My only question is when will Lou be a free-agent? Maybe very soon if he has to put up with an owner like that. I can only think of a handful of players that should get Max $. Ovie, Sydney, .....hummmmm..... Even guys like Keith or Kane don't deserve that kind of coin. Kovalchuck will be the death of that team (and Marty getting old, fast)

Lou will retire , no free agent.
    Duinne, I heard this also on the radio,  not sure it was McGuire or McKenzie.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess) : Lou will retire , no free agent. Duinne, I heard this also on the radio,  not sure it was McGuire or McKenzie.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Well, looks like both Lamoriello and Vanderbeek are on record as refuting that:

The team the Devils put on the ice for Friday night’s season opener against the Dallas Stars at the Prudential Center will be Lamoriello’s team. And the only way he would not have signed Kovalchuk to what ultimately became a 15-year, $100 million deal would have been a flat-out refusal by Vanderbeek to part with the money...

Signing Kovalchuk was a move that made everyone happy, with the exception of Bettman and a few other NHL general managers.
    It may not have looked like Lamoriello’s decision, but it was.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/10/gm_lou_lamoriello_not_owner_ca.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess) : Well, looks like both Lamoriello and Vanderbeek are on record as refuting that: The team the Devils put on the ice for Friday night’s season opener against the Dallas Stars at the Prudential Center will be Lamoriello’s team. And the only way he would not have signed Kovalchuk to what ultimately became a 15-year, $100 million deal would have been a flat-out refusal by Vanderbeek to part with the money... Signing Kovalchuk was a move that made everyone happy, with the exception of Bettman and a few other NHL general managers. It may not have looked like Lamoriello’s decision, but it was. http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/10/gm_lou_lamoriello_not_owner_ca.html
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I don't think Lou would go out on the record stating he didn't want to do this move.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess) : I don't think Lou would go out on the record stating he didn't want to do this move.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Looks like Lou has anticipated you...

To those who think he’s lost some of his clout as GM, Lamoriello scoffed.

“Let’s put it this way: Whatever they’re thinking, they’ll have to keep thinking,” he said. “Everything I’m doing today, is the same thing I’ve done in the past.”

I know, everyone wants to keep thinking Lamoriello is a genius. But the Devils' glory days are vanishing in the rear-view mirror, they've been bounced from the  post-season the past couple of years in embarrassing fashion, Brodeur is almost 40, and Lou obviously figures desperate times call for desperate measures. Hey, it worked for the Blackhawks, didn't it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Duinne, it was MacKenzie on TSN that reported it.
    Now, how true either side of the story is, is up for debate. But again, from all the years of watching Lou work, can you say this is consistent with how he normally does things? He puts TEAM first, and players second. This is just not his style. Heck, he got Brodeur at way below market for all these years. He let 2 high-end talents leave, Gomez to NYR, and ??? to Atlanta, because he wouldn't pony up, so this just doesn't make any sense. Had to be the Owner. 
    I believe what people do, not what they say, and this one stinks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I would blame the Rolston contract more than the Kovalchuk deal. I know Rolston was already done, and they didn't HAVE to sign Kovy, but I'd go with Kovalchuk over Rolston all day every day and hope to God I can ditch some contract. Lou is probably trying to find a trading partner, but can't.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess):
    [QUOTE]Per TSN "Due to cap constraints, injuries to forwards Brian Rolston and defenceman Anton Volchenkov , along with a suspension to forward Luc Letourneau-Leblond; the New Jersey Devils iced a team featuring only 15 skaters for a matinee tilt with the Pittsburgh Penguins.  The Devils only dressed nine forwards and six defenceman and in a 3-1 loss to the Pens. While there were healthy players available to call up from the Devils farm team in Albany, due to the team's close proximity to the NHL's mandated $59.4 million salary cap, New Jersey was unable to ice a full roster that would fit under the cap." I have never heard of an NHL team being unable to skate a full roster. Its just ludicrous and a terrible position for the NJD to be in. It seems pretty bushleague to only ice 3 lines total and be unable to have any callups do to cap restraints. Heres to hoping the only dress 9 forwards and 6 D vs us on saturday, should be an interesting game. Oh, and I guess that Kovy signign worked out great huh Lou?
    Posted by SeguinMyTime[/QUOTE]
    Countless folks here cried when Boston failed to acquire Kovalchuk at deadline.I was glad they didn't and am even happier about it now.Let him ruin Jersey's chemistry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

NJ is on the downslide to be sure.  They gave up a lot of youth in the Kovey deal and they will be stuck with some hard decisions going forward to stay within the cap.

Boston should have easy pickings against them this week.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks to Kovalchuk NJ Ices only 9 Forwads (Glad were not in that mess) : Looks like Lou has anticipated you... To those who think he’s lost some of his clout as GM, Lamoriello scoffed. “Let’s put it this way: Whatever they’re thinking, they’ll have to keep thinking,” he said. “Everything I’m doing today, is the same thing I’ve done in the past.” I know, everyone wants to keep thinking Lamoriello is a genius. But the Devils' glory days are vanishing in the rear-view mirror, they've been bounced from the  post-season the past couple of years in embarrassing fashion, Brodeur is almost 40, and Lou obviously figures desperate times call for desperate measures. Hey, it worked for the Blackhawks, didn't it?
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's a genius,  he's cheap and it's all worked out for him with maybe the best goalie that ever played. 
    When they beat the Bruins back when they won their first cup it was all about trapping (not talent,  just clutching and grabbing at talent) and Chris Terreri, not Brodeur.  If they would have stuck with Marty the Bruins most likely win the cup. 
    I will never believe ,  no matter  what he says,  he did not want to sign Kovalchuk for that kind of money and handicap the team.
    Just against his principles. Did not do with Gomez and/or Gionta.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

NHL Home Ice said yesterday that Jeff Vanderbeek NEVER told Lou to go after Kovi that aggressively. He said they sat down last april after the Devils were eliminated & discussed what changes need to be made to prevent a 4th yr in a row of an early exit of the post season. Demanding Lou to sign Kovi no matter what was not part of that conversation, or any other. So, I guess it's up to each individual to believe what they want to believe.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

An interesting read on the subject:
    http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2010/10/12/1747760/the-new-jersey-devils-will-remain-shorthanded-for-the-time-being
    It brings up an interesting point: by dressing only 9 forwards the Devils are essentially giving their 4th line minutes to the top three lines.  Would the Bruins really be hurt that much if Campbell-Marchand-Thornton sat out a game?  In the long run, I would expect the players to wear down but short-term this may not be hurting the Devils as much as it seems it should.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

I watched the end of the game and they finished pretty strong. They were throwing everything at Pittsburgh but couldn't get the breakthrough ( sounds familiar, huh?).

I wonder if Kovy is trying to do too much in an attempt to prove he's worth all that dough. First there was his lame fight against Green and the first goal v PIT was a result of his turnover trying to play out of trouble in center ice.