That Jacobs is so cheap....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

That Jacobs is so cheap....

....or is he? According to Capgeek.com the B's now have the highest payroll in the NHL at $62,537,771. They may not have spent that money in the smartest ways but that's not on Jacobs. Maybe it's time to stop ranting about Jacobs (actually has been time for a while now)!! On another note, anyway we can skip August and get right to training camp?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: That Jacobs is so cheap....

Hooooow cheeeeeeap is he?

(10 point reference)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If this thread was posted during the season the trolls would be out in full force with gems like pom pom waivers, JJ juice or koolaid drinkers and don't forget everybody's favorite quote looking through rose coloured glasses. Ahhhhh , can't wait for the season to begin to upgade my hockey knowledge with the great insight the trolls provide.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

I've been saying this for a long time, and getting blasted for it, in the salary cap era, jacobs is doing a fine job, although I am angry about the ticket prince increase

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

They are over the cap, he can not be that cheap. It is how the money is being spent. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I think he definitely used to be, but hasn't shown signs of being cheap with this team this year...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap....:
    They are over the cap, he can not be that cheap. It is how the money is being spent. 
    Posted by stinkman

How much do they spend on european scouting? How much do they spend on pro scouting? What about training facilities? Have they cut back in other areas in order to spend to the cap?

I don't know the answer to the above questions but there are many areas besides payroll that Jacobs could be still cheaping out in. It would be interesting to know where the Bruins rate in the above areas.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : How much do they spend on european scouting? How much do they spend on pro scouting? What about training facilities? Have they cut back in other areas in order to spend to the cap? I don't know the answer to the above questions but there are many areas besides payroll that Jacobs could be still cheaping out in. It would be interesting to know where the Bruins rate in the above areas.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

You're onto it.  He is the fly in the ointment for me. 
    Mark Dumas - FORMER equipment manager, got fired a week or 2 ago, reason was cost cutting.
    JJ is an excellent businessman, the cap represents a fixed cost and he can focus on wringing every last dollar out of idiots - such as myself.  So all I can do is try to eat and drink before the game and not buy Bruins jersies, socks and underpants.

So what else can you do if you grew up with hockey in live in the greater Boston area?  Root for some other team that you will only see live a few times a year or else send money to some other owner as you watch some other NHL team?  Watch college hockey?  High school?  the AHL?  juniors?  Different atmosphere, different thing altogether.

JJ is like the uncle you keep locked up in the attic and FAR away from young children. Letting him loose would be a menace to society.  You don't like it.  No sense in dwelling on it.  What else are you going to do?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

go to sellthebruins.com

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Hooooow cheeeeeeap is he? (10 point reference)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

The late, great Johnny Carson.

Now, as for the rest of you and your ridiculous love-fest with the "free-wheeling, spend-happy" Jacobs...PLEASE UNDERSTAND that the salary cap he's spending to (or above) is in place in large part BECAUSE OF HIM.

No owner fought harder for a cap, and it's not b/c he gives a dam about "parity" or and even playing field...it's b/c he DIDN'T WANT TO PAY FOR A WINNER IN BOSTON EVEN THOUGH HE COULD EASILY AFFORD TO.

You want to pull out the "troll" label on me, go right ahead. I've been watching and bleeding and hoping beyond hope with this team since the early 70's...pre-JJ era, and I'm no under-bridge dweller....I just know a skinflint when I see one, and his name is and always has been Jacobs.

He cares about having among the highest ticket prices in the game (as the Bruins do)...he had the audacity to complain amid the worst months of the recession that other teams weren't charging enough for their tickets...and if the Bruins are spending beyond the cap, it has nothing to do with his "desire" to win a Cup, but rather his GM's short-sighted moves (a GM, it should be pointed out, hired in large part b/c he came at a much cheaper asking price than others looking for a job at the time), such as a 35-year old goalie on a multi-year deal at $5 M.

Try to get this, OK? JJ can now spend to the cap each and every year and it represents a HUGE SAVINGS FOR HIM over what it WOULD have cost to bring the best players to Boston in the pre-cap era. All he cared about was hoarding more dollars--NOT winning a Stanley Cup....and at 38 years and counting that SHOULD be an unpardonable offense for any true Bruins fan.

This should be obvious to anyone with the brains God gave geese.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : The late, great Johnny Carson. Now, as for the rest of you and your ridiculous love-fest with the "free-wheeling, spend-happy" Jacobs...PLEASE UNDERSTAND that the salary cap he's spending to (or above) is in place in large part BECAUSE OF HIM. No owner fought harder for a cap, and it's not b/c he gives a dam about "parity" or and even playing field...it's b/c he DIDN'T WANT TO PAY FOR A WINNER IN BOSTON EVEN THOUGH HE COULD EASILY AFFORD TO. You want to pull out the "troll" label on me, go right ahead. I've been watching and bleeding and hoping beyond hope with this team since the early 70's...pre-JJ era, and I'm no under-bridge dweller....I just know a skinflint when I see one, and his name is and always has been Jacobs. He cares about having among the highest ticket prices in the game (as the Bruins do)...he had the audacity to complain amid the worst months of the recession that other teams weren't charging enough for their tickets...and if the Bruins are spending beyond the cap, it has nothing to do with his "desire" to win a Cup, but rather his GM's short-sighted moves (a GM, it should be pointed out, hired in large part b/c he came at a much cheaper asking price than others looking for a job at the time), such as a 35-year old goalie on a multi-year deal at $5 M. Try to get this, OK? JJ can now spend to the cap each and every year and it represents a HUGE SAVINGS FOR HIM over what it WOULD have cost to bring the best players to Boston in the pre-cap era. All he cared about was hoarding more dollars--NOT winning a Stanley Cup....and at 38 years and counting that SHOULD be an unpardonable offense for any true Bruins fan. This should be obvious to anyone with the brains God gave geese.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

I am sorry, I was looking for "The Match Game".

As for people crying about ownership, what's the point?  More importantly, I find it comical that people complain about a businessman running a business as a business.  Calling for the coach's or the GM's head makes sense, as eventually he'll get fired.  This guy isn't going anywhere.  You're better off just choosing a new team.  Carolina has great ownership.  Karmanos loves hockey.  Want an active, visible owner?  Leonsis blogs about his Caps all the time.  Feel free to leave here and join their chat boards instead.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : How much do they spend on european scouting? How much do they spend on pro scouting? What about training facilities? Have they cut back in other areas in order to spend to the cap? I don't know the answer to the above questions but there are many areas besides payroll that Jacobs could be still cheaping out in. It would be interesting to know where the Bruins rate in the above areas.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Good points but we'll probably never know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Now now children...irrespective of why the salary cap is in place and who lobbyed for it ( in reference to JJ pushing that), it is part of the business of owning an NHL team and in theory is supposed to prevent teams in high market areas to BUY a cup whereas teams in smaller markets couldn't compete financially. ( obscure reference to NY Yankees)
    Having said that, he (JJ) has PC ( the new and improved Harry Sinden) as his general manager to efficiently 'shop for groceries'.. PC is no dummy but from an outsiders perspective, comes across as distributing that money on some questionable players .. ( who else has done that? ... every other team that hasn't won the stanley cup..that's who).. so IMHO, Jacobs is doing what a good business man should do.. make money.(but not necessarily a good owner). I think many of us fans are miffed because under his ownership, he hasn't been able to bring the cup to boston..and more importantly to a fan, doesn't appear to give a rats azz if the B's win or not but I am sure that even if his sole motivation is/was to make money.. would agree that a winner here would make this team/business more profitable..   Just throwing my two - cents in there..  Phone lines are now open.. have at it..lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Caller #1 you're on the line .........81 , really good post . You made a lot of points that were put into a proper perspective regarding the pros and cons of  having JJ as owner .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : You're onto it.  He is the fly in the ointment for me.  Mark Dumas - FORMER equipment manager, got fired a week or 2 ago, reason was cost cutting. JJ is an excellent businessman, the cap represents a fixed cost and he can focus on wringing every last dollar out of idiots - such as myself.  So all I can do is try to eat and drink before the game and not buy Bruins jersies, socks and underpants. So what else can you do if you grew up with hockey in live in the greater Boston area?  Root for some other team that you will only see live a few times a year or else send money to some other owner as you watch some other NHL team?  Watch college hockey?  High school?  the AHL?  juniors?  Different atmosphere, different thing altogether. JJ is like the uncle you keep locked up in the attic and FAR away from young children. Letting him loose would be a menace to society.  You don't like it.  No sense in dwelling on it.  What else are you going to do?
    Posted by BadHabitude

holly crap...they fired the equipment manager just to save $$. Is JJ going to pocket that 75-100k and let the equipment manage itself or is he going to have to pay someone else 50-75k to do the job? I seriously doubt that the guy got FIRED but rather laid off and therefore got a compensation package when he left.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : holly crap...they fired the equipment manager just to save $$. Is JJ going to pocket that 75-100k and let the equipment manage itself or is he going to have to pay someone else 50-75k to do the job? I seriously doubt that the guy got FIRED but rather laid off and therefore got a compensation package when he left.
    Posted by stillallbost08

I bet the guy was already getting paid 50-75k.  I hate to say it, but I'd work for peanuts to get to do all the traveling, work like a dog and see all the games free.

I saw that on Murphy's twitter, I can't find a reference.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I stopped complaining about the Jacobs Brothers a long time ago it's a waste of breath as they will never sell there cash cow. Charlie will get it then his kids and so on and so on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dumas is still listed on the website.  Are there any links that discuss him being fired, or point to it being a cost cutting move?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

With the money they spend on training camp, travel (believe me, these guys aren't flying coach or staying at the Holiday Inn), food, equipment, medical, etc. etc., I find it difficult to believe they'd fire an equipment manager to cut costs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : The late, great Johnny Carson. Now, as for the rest of you and your ridiculous love-fest with the "free-wheeling, spend-happy" Jacobs...PLEASE UNDERSTAND that the salary cap he's spending to (or above) is in place in large part BECAUSE OF HIM. No owner fought harder for a cap, and it's not b/c he gives a dam about "parity" or and even playing field...it's b/c he DIDN'T WANT TO PAY FOR A WINNER IN BOSTON EVEN THOUGH HE COULD EASILY AFFORD TO. You want to pull out the "troll" label on me, go right ahead. I've been watching and bleeding and hoping beyond hope with this team since the early 70's...pre-JJ era, and I'm no under-bridge dweller....I just know a skinflint when I see one, and his name is and always has been Jacobs. He cares about having among the highest ticket prices in the game (as the Bruins do)...he had the audacity to complain amid the worst months of the recession that other teams weren't charging enough for their tickets...and if the Bruins are spending beyond the cap, it has nothing to do with his "desire" to win a Cup, but rather his GM's short-sighted moves (a GM, it should be pointed out, hired in large part b/c he came at a much cheaper asking price than others looking for a job at the time), such as a 35-year old goalie on a multi-year deal at $5 M. Try to get this, OK? JJ can now spend to the cap each and every year and it represents a HUGE SAVINGS FOR HIM over what it WOULD have cost to bring the best players to Boston in the pre-cap era. All he cared about was hoarding more dollars--NOT winning a Stanley Cup....and at 38 years and counting that SHOULD be an unpardonable offense for any true Bruins fan. This should be obvious to anyone with the brains God gave geese.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

I'm glad he fought for a cap! it helped to keep all 6 Canadian teams in Canada & there maybe more to come. Without a cap? Every team except Toronto & Montreal were in trouble. So for that I say Thank You Jeremy!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup2009. Show cup2009's posts

Now I heard from a source at the Bruins Christmass party, JJ got Market Basket brand cola instead of Coke... ohhhhh myyy god, wow he really saved money there,, maybe they wont win the cup now. I mean please your talking about silly crap to keep this dead argument going 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup2009. Show cup2009's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : I'm glad he fought for a cap! it helped to keep all 6 Canadian teams in Canada & there maybe more to come. Without a cap? Every team except Toronto & Montreal were in trouble. So for that I say Thank You Jeremy!
    Posted by Neelybestallaround[/QUOTE]

Our you kinding, I hope all teams come down to the States....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Dumas is still listed on the website.  Are there any links that discuss him being fired, or point to it being a cost cutting move?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

http://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74

You will have to scroll back thru history to find it.
    1. @gregbrady71 Ha
    2. Correction. Mark Dumas, B's Equipment Manager, won't return in 2010-11. Trainer on my mind because I need one! Thanks Jeremy Lemoine!
    3. Off for a walk with Nemo on a glorious day here!
    4. @gregbrady71 OOilers/Isles '91 Cup final? You mean '81?
    5. Disappointed to hear according to source, Mark Dumas will not be back as Boston Bruins head trainer this season. Apparent cost-cutting move.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : Our you kinding, I hope all teams come down to the States....
    Posted by cup2009[/QUOTE]
    Yea we need more Atlanta's, Phoniex's & Tampa's. All that attendence really generates lots of revenue for the NHL. Kansas City would really love hockey I'm sure too eh? Comon give your head a shake! We need the sport where it'll be appreciated & thrive. The Hamilton's & Winnepeg's is where that happens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : http://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74 You will have to scroll back thru history to find it. @ gregbrady71 Ha 3:07 PM Jul 26th via web in reply to gregbrady71 Correction. Mark Dumas, B's Equipment Manager, won't return in 2010-11. Trainer on my mind because I need one! Thanks Jeremy Lemoine! 3:02 PM Jul 26th via web Off for a walk with Nemo on a glorious day here! 2:59 PM Jul 26th via web @ gregbrady71 OOilers/Isles '91 Cup final? You mean '81? 2:58 PM Jul 26th via web in reply to gregbrady71 Disappointed to hear according to source, Mark Dumas will not be back as Boston Bruins head trainer this season. Apparent cost-cutting move. 2:56 PM Jul 26th via web
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Murphy's twitter account guessing it's a cost cutting move doesn't qualify as anything solid to me.

Sections
Shortcuts