That's right blame the goalie.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

That's right blame the goalie.

In my eyes blaming the goalie is the easy way out. If Thomas had have made that save it would have been on the front page of the news paper and top of the highlight real. Did anyone stop to think maybe the defence hung him out to dry on that one in OT. Sure he has not played with the same swagger as last season but, should not be crusified for defensive error. Sh!t rolls down hill, and it took defensemen to be out of position before Thomas could be out of position. Did anyone stop to ask the Q , why did Ference stop skating when Neilsen got control of the puck. I'm pretty sure that Wideman and Ference both had their fingers crossed when they let Neilsen in on a fobbled breakaway that also may have contributed to Thomas being out of position. I mean am I in Leaf Nation here or what, cause that is what they do. Blame the goalie first. But go ahead I guess. Cause it seems every time the fans start getting on his jock, he always rises to the occasion. Then your all back on his wagon when things are going right. I'm pinning the defence for this loss. NOT Thomas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: That's right blame the goalie.

I can't disagree, you are correct.  Having said that, I think the breakaway was a soft goal and the other one you could argue was soft.  It is true, defense was awol and 2 goals in this league nowadays isn't enough, but I would distribute the blame across the board.

I, the eternal optimist, say look at the bright side. through my rose colored glasses losing to non playoff teams that make things tougher for the Leafs isn't the worst thing that could happen in the world.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Good point, I thought the same thing too. At least we got a point out of it and it was not toronto that got 2. Its weird, I have never rooted for the Canes before.

Anyhow, in OT obviously the D made a big goof up to allow the breakaway I can never, really, fault a goalie on a breakaway goal. Although I do remember Raycroft falling down as he came out to cut down the angle once, I digress. I do however fault TT on the embarrasing cover-up blunder for the 1st goal. If he does not make that very embarrasing mistake we win 2-1.

I know there are about a zillion "variables" and "what ifs" during the game (missed nets, Savvy hitting the post), I just focus on the most obvious, and that mistake on TT part is it, imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from epavao. Show epavao's posts

In Response to That's right blame the goalie.:
    [QUOTE]In my eyes blaming the goalie is the easy way out. If Thomas had have made that save it would have been on the front page of the news paper and top of the highlight real. Did anyone stop to think maybe the defence hung him out to dry on that one in OT. Sure he has not played with the same swagger as last season but, should not be crusified for defensive error. Sh!t rolls down hill, and it took defensemen to be out of position before Thomas could be out of position. Did anyone stop to ask the Q , why did Ference stop skating when Neilsen got control of the puck. I'm pretty sure that Wideman and Ference both had their fingers crossed when they let Neilsen in on a fobbled breakaway that also may have contributed to Thomas being out of position. I mean am I in Leaf Nation here or what, cause that is what they do. Blame the goalie first. But go ahead I guess. Cause it seems every time the fans start getting on his jock, he always rises to the occasion. Then your all back on his wagon when things are going right. I'm pinning the defence for this loss. NOT Thomas.
    Posted by BeantownBDH[/QUOTE]

what a moron defending tubby thomas - 2 really soft goals and one way out of positon - why don't ypu just blame the laundry boy in the change room 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

A team that only allows two goals against the Islanders in regulation time should win.  Period.  Thomas can't score goals for the Bruins.  It would be nice if more than one line started scoring goals in games for a change. 

On the Bright side, Roloson looked great, regardless of age.  The fact that he is the same age that Thomas will be when his contract expires gives me hope because it shows that not every goalie's talent level falls off before the age of 40. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: That's right blame the goalie.:
    [QUOTE]I can't disagree, you are correct.  Having said that, I think the breakaway was a soft goal and the other one you could argue was soft.  It is true, defense was awol and 2 goals in this league nowadays isn't enough, but I would distribute the blame across the board. I, the eternal optimist, say look at the bright side. through my rose colored glasses losing to non playoff teams that make things tougher for the Leafs isn't the worst thing that could happen in the world.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    You people obviously have never played a minute of goaltending in your life! When DK scores on a breakaway, or Savard in a Shootout & they go backhand & roof it. It's a lights out move! But, since e-1 can't wait to jump all over TT it was a softy. IT WAS NOT! At that speed There's NO WAY you can get across with your body in an upright position. It was a nicely placed backhander & ALL YOU FREAKIN RASK LOVERS he wouldn't have stopped it either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

well, i mean, thomas kinda fell, did anyone else see that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

Neilsen didn't have control of the puck and Thomas was anticipating a deeper arched move. Watch the replay. I know I have a couple dozen times. Some how Neilsen gets a handle on it and Timmy is about a step behind because of the speed Neilson is going. The reason Timmy fell is cause he was trying to cut the angle the best he could. My question is. Why did Ference stop skating right when Neilson got the handle on the puck. He drifted in from that point, and there is no reason he couldn't have made a good defensive play if his legs kept moving.

1st goal - The puck hits Morris's skate an the puck trickles wide to Schremp. Timmy thinks he has it.
     http://bruins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlg=20092010,2,469&event=NYI113

2nd goal - Sweet dish by Tavares out front. No coverage in front of the net. Boychuck is pinching to deep in the corner and Stuart gets caught cheating to the other side of the net.
     http://bruins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlg=20092010,2,469&event=NYI410

3rd goal OT - Wideman rushes the puck leaving Ference to be the only man back, and even he was in to deep on the NYI transition = breakaway.
    http://bruins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlg=20092010,2,469&event=NYI714

I will only put the blame where it belongs, and the proof is in the pudding. I've said it before. The B's have trouble against Roloson. I don't know why!, but they do. They should have won this game, but what can ya do. Another goalie the B's have had problems with is Huet. Let's hope Chicago doesn't put him in net next Friday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That's right blame the goalie. : You people obviously have never played a minute of goaltending in your life! When DK scores on a breakaway, or Savard in a Shootout & they go backhand & roof it. It's a lights out move! But, since e-1 can't wait to jump all over TT it was a softy. IT WAS NOT! At that speed There's NO WAY you can get across with your body in an upright position. It was a nicely placed backhander & ALL YOU FREAKIN RASK LOVERS he wouldn't have stopped it either.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

It's not really that black and white man, if it was no one would do anything else. Its only a lights out move if you can nail it, but so is any other move. And actually yes, you can get across in an upright position, that is actually what the butterfly style is based off of. It all just depends on your timing with the return speed and push on your way back to the net. Then that all sets up the glove hand (which is a better side for a goalie) to react to the lift of the shot.

Thats what I love about hockey you can have 10 guys on a breakaway do the same move and have 10 different variables within that move. Almost nothing is black and white, its not that easy. 

Unless you are capable of time travel and putting Rask in the net at this point, saying Rask would not have stopped that particular shot is completley ridiculous! There are shots and situations where you can say "no goalie stops that", this was not one of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Blaming Thomas is the very definition of missing the forest for the trees.

The Bruins barely eked out two goals against one of the worst teams in hockey. Do you not get it? THEY NEED TO UPGRADE THE OFFENSE!!!!!

If they don't get a sniper to play w/Savvard they will lose in round 2 of the playoffs and it won't be b/c of goaltending...it will be b/c they don't have the firepower to compete w/the truly elite teams in the NHL.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carloaz. Show carloaz's posts

This is not the same TT. He has never been a clutch goalie he always lets in the last minute goal or the goal when the game is on the line. If you are not aware of this just pay attention as the season goes on. The Bruins will win a cup with Rask not Timmy. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

TT was off balance on the OT goal -- why was he out so far to begin with?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I watched the leafs beat NYI, and I would say that NYI is the worst team in the league, we will not be getting the #1 pick unless we trade for it.

We have lost 2 to the NYI this season.W TF.

Rask gave up 4 and TT 3. Does not matter who plays, if you don't score goals and put forth a lackluster effort, especially defensively at times you will lose.

We have put forward better efforts of late and I hope to see it continue. We have taken steps forward and efforts have been rewarded. We need top line scorer for Sav. Bitz is not it. Sob is not producing, bring March and try him again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

[QUOTE]I watched the leafs beat NYI, and I would say that NYI is the worst team in the league, we will not be getting the #1 pick unless we trade for it. We have lost 2 to the NYI this season.W TF. Rask gave up 4 and TT 3. Does not matter who plays, if you don't score goals and put forth a lackluster effort, especially defensively at times you will lose. We have put forward better efforts of late and I hope to see it continue. We have taken steps forward and efforts have been rewarded. We need top line scorer for Sav. Bitz is not it. Sob is not producing, bring March and try him again.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

The Leafs also lost to the NYI with 61 shots against Roloson not to long ago. I also don't think that Timmy is getting the same support that Rask has been getting offensively or defensively.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

[QUOTE]TT was off balance on the OT goal -- why was he out so far to begin with?
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]

Being out that far as the break out is fine, you just need to be able to get back in properly. All in all TT did not do that bad a job on the goal  ...could have gone better though. Ideally you just would not want to give a breakaway in OT.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That's right blame the goalie. : It's not really that black and white man, if it was no one would do anything else. Its only a lights out move if you can nail it, but so is any other move. And actually yes, you can get across in an upright position, that is actually what the butterfly style is based off of. It all just depends on your timing with the return speed and push on your way back to the net. Then that all sets up the glove hand (which is a better side for a goalie) to react to the lift of the shot. Thats what I love about hockey you can have 10 guys on a breakaway do the same move and have 10 different variables within that move. Almost nothing is black and white, its not that easy.  Unless you are capable of time travel and putting Rask in the net at this point, saying Rask would not have stopped that particular shot is completley ridiculous! There are shots and situations where you can say "no goalie stops that", this was not one of them.
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]
    You show me a goalie with a guy coming in at that speed & where a butterfly goalie keeps his body upright! I wanna see this! The other thing is this. TT was going to come out a try to get to the puck before Nielson, but realized the speed he had. So he tried to get back. However, I want you to show me a goalie that has his body in an UPRIGHT position to stop a breakaway at that speed. And I'm not talking about a shoot-out situation. Completely different circumstances! SHOW ME!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from canubthatdumb. Show canubthatdumb's posts

only one team won saturday night scoring 2 goals or less.that was phoniex.simply put the offense is to blame again.there is no such thing as a easy save on a break away.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]only one team won saturday night scoring 2 goals or less.that was phoniex.simply put the offense is to blame again.there is no such thing as a easy save on a break away.
    Posted by canubthatdumb[/QUOTE]

You have it right canubthatdumb.  Although I don't follow the Bruins a whole lot (more since I've been following the Kessel threads since I'm leaf fan.......as sad as that has been).

I was looking over the stats and it's lucky that the Bruins are a good defensive team with 2 very good goal-tenders which is what is keeping them afloat (doesn't Thomas have 3 shutouts this season?).    Top goal-scorer is P.Bergeron with 24 points in 31 games (8 goals?).  Marco Sturm is leading scorer with 9?  Not very scary stats. Boston will remain in Tier 2 grouping until they address their scoring woes.

Too bad you don't play the leafs more games as it seems your team can only score against them (which given our lack of goal-tending isn't a big surprise...although it has gotten better in the last few games outside of the games against Boston).  Contrast that with a weak Leaf team, Kaberle has 31 points in 32 games, Stajan has 11 goals, Hagman has 15, Ponikarovsky has 12, Kessel 11 (19 points in 20 games...say what you will but outside of 2 bad games against Boston in your rink he's been good for us and has opened up a lot more ice for Stajan and Ponikarovsky....and 3 points against Washington).

I don't think goaltending is the Bruin's problem, lack of scorers is the problem.  I don't watch them much but why do they have Bitz? playing with Savard?  Reminds me of the chains that the ghost Marley wears when visiting Scrooge. 

In a league that features so many powerplays, 4-on-4 overtime and shootouts, you need snipers.....and they aren't cheap.  Regardless of what you think about Kessel, 5 million a year is pretty close to what the rate will be to get a top flight scorer (even if he can't back check......LOL)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cannot disagree with "The Bruins should've had more goals they wouldn't have been in that position." Savard must roll his eyes these days when his wingers skate up to him and mutter "Sorry Savvy shouldv'e put that sweet feed away."

It's getting to the point of ridiculous now. Savvy needs a true sniper is an under statement. Call ups are not going to work and the return of Lucic is not going increase goal production. Blame the Goalie ? No way which defensemen were on the ice when NY scored a BREAKAWAY IN OVERTIME ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Still waiting MDsizzle for you to show me a goalie in an upright positon. Not saying you're wrong. Just want to see how it's possible. I've been a goalie for over 30yrs & I haven't seen anyone do it. Not at that speed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

nitemare if you have been a goalie for 30 some yrs why is it that you cant see any flaws in Thomas,s game? specially now when he doesnt have that pure confidence that he always had....hes fighting himself alot this yr! hes having alot of trouble with pucks at his feet,seeing them & maintaining them....the 60 footer last night was misdirected at 55' & he had trouble picking it up....im not blaming Thomas for the game,cause obviously it was the whole team that lacked any confidence in themself,s to pull this one out.....conquencidence? maybe

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Thomas has not played all that great the last couple games but the point of the thread is that the blame rests with the whole team. He's only allowed 2 goals in each of the last 2 games ( same as Rask's last 2! ) and has 1 point to show for it.
    This inability to score against back-up goalies like Boucher and veterans like Roloson is really starting to cause concern. The Isles lost 7 the other night FFS!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Bruin Fans.  I see the frustration regarding the goaltending situation.  But what is obvious to me is that the Bruins do NOT play the same way in front of Thomas as they do with Rask.  In that vein, it's possible that the team doesn't have the same confidence in him as Rask at this point in the season and that is more a reflection on the overall team then on Thomas.  When the Bruins played the Leafs, the leaf players didn't have a lot of great chances on Rask.  They rarely had open ice and I don't remember any break-aways (although I am getting older so perhaps I forgot).  

Having said that, it would be nice if Thomas had a  team that scored a few goals for him and I think that would help his confidence.   Emery is out with the Flyers and the Bruins only score 1 goal?  Can't win that way....

What is the general opinion of Julien as a coach?  I know he's a great defensive coach, but I always felt he had a history of stifling the skilled players and I really don't understand how you can't have at least a top offensive line with 2 good wingers to play with Savard. 

Bruins are a good team, but should be better and if I'm Savard I start begging for better linemates...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheoryNeutral. Show TheoryNeutral's posts

[QUOTE]Bruin Fans.  I see the frustration regarding the goaltending situation.  But what is obvious to me is that the Bruins do NOT play the same way in front of Thomas as they do with Rask.  In that vein, it's possible that the team doesn't have the same confidence in him as Rask at this point in the season and that is more a reflection on the overall team then on Thomas.  When the Bruins played the Leafs, the leaf players didn't have a lot of great chances on Rask.  They rarely had open ice and I don't remember any break-aways (although I am getting older so perhaps I forgot).   Having said that, it would be nice if Thomas had a  team that scored a few goals for him and I think that would help his confidence.   Emery is out with the Flyers and the Bruins only score 1 goal?  Can't win that way.... What is the general opinion of Julien as a coach?  I know he's a great defensive coach, but I always felt he had a history of stifling the skilled players and I really don't understand how you can't have at least a top offensive line with 2 good wingers to play with Savard.  Bruins are a good team, but should be better and if I'm Savard I start begging for better linemates...
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

If they have less confidence in Thomas why are they playing worse in front of him, as you say? Don't get it.