The fate of Tim Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mironov. Show Mironov's posts

Re: The fate of Tim Thomas

I think Bruins should keep Thomas at the end of hes contract. We need a veteran goalie that could teach Rask. Thomas has played alot and has played in Finland (Rask's home contry). I think Rask would not have developed this much this season if we would had other goalie that is not that experienced like Thomas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In the past 4 seasons, Tim Thomas has an average save % of .919. Exactly the same as Martin Brodeur, and better than Ryan Miller (.916).
    Even this year, in what many consider an "off" year. he allows, in every 10 games, 5 more goals than Rask does. On a decent scoring team, that difference would not even be noticeable. Only on the goal starved bruins, does it become an issue.
       I understand if people want to trade TT because of the emergence of Rask, and the combination of his cap hit and age.
    However, I have no time for people that come on this board, and proclaim Thomas to be a bad goalie. These are the same people that, when Thomas first arrived, said the bruins would never make the playoffs with TT in net. Then they said they would never win a playoff round. Now they have resorted to saying stats don't mean anything.
    I like Rask as much as anybody, but why is it when he gets a win, it's because he played great, and when Thomas wins, it is because the team played great?
    There is a double standard for many fans in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mironov. Show Mironov's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas:
    In the past 4 seasons, Tim Thomas has an average save % of .919. Exactly the same as Martin Brodeur, and better than Ryan Miller (.916). Even this year, in what many consider an "off" year. he allows, in every 10 games, 5 more goals than Rask does. On a decent scoring team, that difference would not even be noticeable. Only on the goal starved bruins, does it become an issue.    I understand if people want to trade TT because of the emergence of Rask, and the combination of his cap hit and age. However, I have no time for people that come on this board, and proclaim Thomas to be a bad goalie. These are the same people that, when Thomas first arrived, said the bruins would never make the playoffs with TT in net. Then they said they would never win a playoff round. Now they have resorted to saying stats don't mean anything. I like Rask as much as anybody, but why is it when he gets a win, it's because he played great, and when Thomas wins, it is because the team played great? There is a double standard for many fans in Boston.
    Posted by biggskye

Now thats a good post, lots of facts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

You can take all the stats you want and post'em. The biggest fact is that TT has NOT won anything!! Rask hasn't either, but, he is much cheeper and much more upside. The fact remains that TT style is NOT a winning style in the playoffs, period. The playoffs are where it all matters!! I've read all the goalie names on this board and all the great ones are consistant, technically sound and have a calming affect on thier team; Rask. TT is a great warm and fuzzy story, so lets share that story with another city and sign a 30-35 goal scorer with his $.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

You can take all the stats you want and post'em. The biggest fact is that TT has NOT won anything!! Rask hasn't either, but, he is much cheeper and much more upside. The fact remains that TT style is NOT a winning style in the playoffs, period. The playoffs are where it all matters!! I've read all the goalie names on this board and all the great ones are consistant, technically sound and have a calming affect on thier team; Rask. TT is a great warm and fuzzy story, so lets share that story with another city and sign a 30-35 goal scorer with his $.
    Posted by sparky1313

The king of the Thomas Bashers has spoken!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Hasek did pretty good with a similar style of play...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas : This is so lame of an excuse & not even worth debating & a crock. So Rask's SP is just like TT right,  most shots from the outside? Isn't that part of your agrument in one of your post earlier? Rask still hasn't won ANYTHING YET! So he's had a great season. What has he WON! NOTHING, Zilch, Goose egg!
    Posted by nitemare-38
    Floppy hasn't won anything yet either. And don't go on a rant about him winning the Montreal series because a pee wee goalie could have beat Montreal last year. Rask is twice the goalie floppy is or ever will be. There's a reason Thomas is on the bench and everybody seems to know that except you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Looking at the UFA's for goalies this coming draft it looks like the Bruins might have a hard time trading TT for what he's really worth. That would mean a salary dump, something PC hasn't done. Can the Bruins afford to have a 5mil backup goalie. You bet they can. As I've said before, you need 2 good goalies in this league and the Bruins have them. Then, after the 2011 season is over, TT's salary goes down in each following year which will make him a better trade deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

For those of you who keep posting that it's wise to hold on to the Tank for this year and trade him next summer when his salary is lower ... No, you're wrong. His cap hit is $5 million per, across all four years of the deal. Even though his salary decreases, his cap hit remains the same. (This year he made $6 million, but it didn't register.) I don't know how he did it, but Chiarelli spread out the cap hit. It made sense this year but will make it harder to deal him. That's why I began this thread: Even ignoring his NTC, he is untradeable given his age and salary.

Love,
    BruinsFaninPenTerritory

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The cap hit remains the same, but actual salary is important to many teams. 
    Consider Carolina.  They wouldn't want Thomas because of Ward, but teams like them are happy to have players that help them make the minimum cap with less actual cash being given to the player.  Not every team brings in enough money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

The cap hit remains the same, but actual salary is important to many teams.  Consider Carolina .  They wouldn't want Thomas because of Ward, but teams like them are happy to have players that help them make the minimum cap with less actual cash being given to the player.  Not every team brings in enough money.
    Posted by DrCC

great post, didnt think of that. Islanders are in that boat and w/ Ricky D on the shelf.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

i love t thomas if you want to trade him  and he agrees then 1. hope san jose gets knocked out early  nabokov=6 mil  they save money! with tt, remember the game tim stole there this yr? i bet doug wilson does. 2. hope Chicago gets knocked out early   see patrick sharp 3. hope washington gets knocked out early  take the draft picks this yr? 4. philly you know the story here i dont want him in our conf. he can be dealt for a lot! we are a better team with him
    Posted by paulbking

you guys see them scores last night?
    san jose 5 gls against on 22 shots  sharks had 52!
    philly 5 gls against 29 shots
    chicago 4 gls against 26 shots only 4 in 3rd period after niemi let in 2 goals

THINK TIMMY WOULD HAVE GIVEN THEM A FIGHTING CHANCE?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If I'm a Caps fan, I wouldn't mind seeing TT in goal for my team right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I like Ron Wilson's comment from earlier in the year.  He said when the team's not getting saves, everyone gets shakey.  The players become tight when they're not sure they'll consistently get the stops.  This may be what separates Thomas from Rask.  No disrespect intended but as a fan, I have to admit I'm more confident of the Bruins doing well with Rask in goal. 

Only time will tell but Rask seems to be on an upward trajectory and not a plateau.  Thomas and Rask are a solid duo but this year Rask has taken center stage leaving Thomas as the number two.  $5 million is a hefty price tag for someone who may not see the majority of the games next season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to The fate of Tim Thomas:
    [QUOTE]Just read a piece in ESPN Boston's section that had speculation about whether yesterday was the Tank's last game with the Bruins. I like his story, I like his fiestyness (my only game last year was that late season Ranger game when he fought Avery), and I like his game. The problem is that this yet another case of Chiarelli overpaying for a veteran (Ferrance and Ryder being the two worst examples). Yet how can the team move him? With Vokoun, Chris Mason, Marty Turco, Nabokov, one of the Islander goalies, Corey Schneider all likely on the market next year, there are only so many destinations for a guy like Thomas. Plus, his age and cap hit seem to pose other roadblocks to a deal. Thoughts?
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]

Knew last year that his signing was odd.  I hope they can move it as well.  PC, for all his smarts, seems to have made some odd moves over his tenure.  Makes you wonder if he is simply a facilitator type of GM.  What i mean is that he holds his meetings, gets input from from everyone and then forms a consensus.  Although a grat approach, utlimately the autocratic approach works better. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

In Response to The fate of Tim Thomas:
    [QUOTE]Just read a piece in ESPN Boston's section that had speculation about whether yesterday was the Tank's last game with the Bruins. I like his story, I like his fiestyness (my only game last year was that late season Ranger game when he fought Avery), and I like his game. The problem is that this yet another case of Chiarelli overpaying for a veteran (Ferrance and Ryder being the two worst examples). Yet how can the team move him? With Vokoun, Chris Mason, Marty Turco, Nabokov, one of the Islander goalies, Corey Schneider all likely on the market next year, there are only so many destinations for a guy like Thomas. Plus, his age and cap hit seem to pose other roadblocks to a deal. Thoughts?
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]
    why is Thomas even on your mind at this point?!?! Move on

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Philly will eliminate NJ so looks like Boucher will stick around. Well unless he screws up in the 2nd round.

Blackhawks look like they should have got a playoff ready goalie. I have a feeling they will be elimnated in the 1st round which is sad with the amount of talent they have on their team.

Thomas to blackhawks for versteeg. I think its a fair deal for both teams. I'd put versteeg with krecji next year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

Philly will eliminate NJ so looks like Boucher will stick around. Well unless he screws up in the 2nd round. Blackhawks look like they should have got a playoff ready goalie. I have a feeling they will be elimnated in the 1st round which is sad with the amount of talent they have on their team. Thomas to blackhawks for versteeg. I think its a fair deal for both teams. I'd put versteeg with krecji next year
    Posted by yaz16
    You're out of your mind if you think Chicago would trade Versteeg for floppy five hole.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

floppy five hole goalie who won the venzina award last year?

He has been good this year. Just hasn't had goal support

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Chicago would take TT, but it would mean Huet coming back to us.  I don't mind that because he doesn't have a NTC and is only under contract for two more years.  It gives PC flexibility because he can be traded anywhere.  TT has to approve a destination and that makes a deal near impossible.  Huet you can send to any team and that gives you a ton more options. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Huet and Versteeg for Thomas and whoever else.

Just want a decent player back in return for TT. Versteeg will give you consistantly your 45 to 55 points a season . Was a dumb move to let him go in the first place. Huet also knows julien so we could use him for backup for one year and trade him

I really can't see many other teams who would be willing to take TT contract and with his age makes him limited to which team he can be traded to

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

The question that needs to be answered is... What happens if Tuukka suffers the dreaded Sophomore Jinx? I don't see any goalie coming to Boston via trade or UFA who would be an upgrade from TT. I think PC will shop him around but I don't see there being much interest unless TT waives his NTC prior to any trade talks. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I care about the Tank because he's an assest to the team. He's a quality goalie who is clearly being overshadowed by his younger, more affordable partner. Really, just getting his contract off the books this summer will be a win for us. I would rather have a regularly-injured but highly potent winger (hello Simone Gagne) than a goaler who is earning $5 million on the bench. With just an extra 25 goals from the wing, the Bruins are the third seed in the conference this year.

Have I mentioned that I hate Buffalo recently?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

well wait till rask crashes , thomas will get his chance to play , an you will all see who timmy thomas is

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

floppy five hole goalie who won the venzina award last year? He has been good this year. Just hasn't had goal support
    Posted by yaz16
    Yeah, the same guy that only managed 17 wins in 43 games THIS YEAR. Raycroft won rookie of the year, wanna bring him back too?

Sections
Shortcuts