The fate of Tim Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: The fate of Tim Thomas

PC will not dump Thomas for a 5th or 6th rounder he's a 2 time jennings (will get his second in a row this year), 1 time Vezina winner to even type that is ridiculous. I would also say if you don't get fair value for him don't trade him again Chiarelli will not just dump TT.

Thomas is not going to stay here as a backup he will waive his NTC. Plenty of GMs will want his play and goaltending especially in Detroit were Holland probably doesn't want to put to much pressure on Howard just yet. Doesn't want to ruin his confidence.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarrenRyan9. Show DarrenRyan9's posts

teams would be willing to Take TToff our hands, no doubt about it....there are alot of team with average (at best) goaltending, i say anywhere from 10-15 teams would be interested in some way...some teams might overpay, some teams might ask us to take on a bad contract, some teams might ask us to throw in a prospect as well to take on his contract....either way you look at it, TT played his final game as a Bruin Yesterday

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mohawkbruin1. Show mohawkbruin1's posts

chicago, washington are two top teams who may need goaltending if they don't do well in the playoffs, i would easily deal thomas for anti niemmi(back up goalie) and dustin bfugiliyn (big winger) cap differance thomas 5 mill -two chi guys 4 maybe 5 with niemmi resigned, its basically a wash,  then chi sign cheap back up goalie, demote or trade(good luck) huet and they save more money, i would even sweeten the pot with a draft pick or someone like sobotka in the deal, a trade like this could work

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

I agree Pberg.

Two "strating" goalies are only valubale over the regular season.  Having two #1's is a waste come playoff time because if things are going well, one of them turns into a practice goalie and a door opener.  If things are not going so well, the playoffs are over pretty quick and this isn't even a topic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

If Thomas contract made the big drop this year, you'd have a bunch of teams interested. But that doesn't happen until the end of the 2011 season.

As such, I think the B's have 2 choices. He stays most or all of the year as a highly-paid backup/insurance policy for Rask, or they trade him for less value than he's probably worth as a player simply to free themselves from his salary.

If he's still playing at a decent level in a year (and no mistake, Tim Thomas is certainly a decent goalie), there will be more interest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas:
    pbergeron37 you are spot on with TT. I'm not here to bash him but you have said nothing but the truth about Thomas. The team won him the Vezina last year.
    Posted by jwb413

No PBergeron you're not spot on! What have the B's won with Rask????? Nothing! Look, I like Rask & think he's great, but lets not be making the same mistake that Hab fans made here ala Carey Price & start saying we have the 2nd coming! I think we're jumping ahead of ourselves here! They haven't even won a play-off game with Rask. The team certainly is part of TT's Vezina & Jennings. However, Rask hasn't won either yet. Mark my words we will see TT in these play-offs at some point & it won't be a mercy pull by CJ. It'll be because Rask isn't up to the task. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit. I under estimated Rask & if he can even get us to the 3rd rd. Something that no B's goalie has done since 92.' I will be all for a TT trade. If however, Rask falters. I will agrue forever & a day that Rask needs at least until next trade deadline before we move TT anywhere! Remember this as well, Chris Mason- Extraordinary season last yr. Since the play-offs last year he's been a bust. TT not only has great reg season stats, but even better in the play-offs. Better stats than even one of the best money goalie's in his era. Cherry Cheevers. Now, are you all going to tell me that it was the team that made Cheevers? And Thomas certainly never has & never will have the talent that Cheevers had in front of him!   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

ANY GENIOUS ON HERE WANNA PLAY PHILLY WITH TIM THOMAS PLAYING FOR THEM?????STUPID

CHICAGO  PATRICK SHARPMAKE IT HAPPEN

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Chicago cant afford Thomas, they need to dump a ton of salary at years end. they are at like 57 Million Cap Hit with just 15 guys signed...so your going to see guys like Sharp, Byfuglien and others traded away...they are going to probably try and trade Brian Campbell as well....no way they are going to bring in Thomas's 5 million cap hit next year.
    Posted by morphosis1974

Campbell?  Campbell?  One of the most notoriously  bad contracts in the NHL???
    Rotsa ruck trying to trade that one.
    OK, watch the video and then tell me the one contract worse than Campbell, there will be a quiz later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imWpYgTgIc&feature=player_embedded

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Darren Dreger @ TSN said today that he does not believe that Thomas will be moved as the contract is too big and he is too old.  Yes, his salary may go down but his cap hit stays the same.  No one in their right mind signs a goalie that old to a contract that big.  I loved Thomas last year but when he was awarded this contract I was not impressed with PC.  He was premature in his signing.  Should have seen what market value would be for Thomas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

There is a good chance someone will pick him up.  There are quality teams that have a major need for good goaltending and TT is good!
    Philly, Wash, Chi and others need a good tender.  Names of younger guys have been thrown around but TT would be an upgrade over any of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Is he an idiot for saying Bruins out in 5?  Because almost everyone feels this way... Except Bruins fans.  Me being one of those people.  I don't blame anyone for thinking the Bruins will be out in 5 or 6 games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

I think if Thomas had one year left on his contract there would be SEVERAL teams interested, but the fact that he is as old as he is and there are 3 years left, two with NMC and he CANNOT be bought out due to his age when the contract kicked in, it is too much for a team to risk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

ANY GENIOUS ON HERE WANNA PLAY PHILLY WITH TIM THOMAS PLAYING FOR THEM?????STUPID CHICAGO  PATRICK SHARPMAKE IT HAPPEN
    Posted by paulbking

I want to play Philly for the next 3 years hamstrung by Thomas' deal. Just like I want to play Kessel in Toronto and use their picks to hamstring an awful rebuilding team even worse than they've done to themselves. Trade TT to Philly and give them the money problem inherent in TT's deal that we are currently on the hook for. I LOVE CAPS!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Question ? Can TT play the backup role ? Does he still want to be a starter ? I hope he likes the role of a backup 20 gamer ( or in the case of tweaked knee by Rask), longer. I think we need both Rask & TT. I believe every team needs 2 good goalies these days. I really truely hope both goalies are here at the start of next season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

Question ? Can TT play the backup role ? Does he still want to be a starter ? I hope he likes the role of a backup 20 gamer ( or in the case of tweaked knee by Rask), longer. I think we need both Rask & TT. I believe every team needs 2 good goalies these days. I really truely hope both goalies are here at the start of next season.
    Posted by Stuke50

so do i   if you want to move salary  move  ryder, wideman,ferrence, or wheeler i aliked wheeler but now im not to sure, is he one of those dime a dozen guys???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

He was not and is not a problem to the B's, he needs to be kept. Had the D  and O played as well earlier in the season as they have the last 12, we would not be having this conversation.

We know his value and it is value, he will be here and thankfully we will not go looking for a Boobby Boucher to bail us out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Hey, I am like everyone else here-- an armchair quarterback with no connection to the team. Still, from my vantage point it's clear that The Tank isn't happy with the situation. He's publically stated that he knows he's not getting playing time. The guy's a battler and he's probably steaming on the bench.

If the right situation came up in which he could start, I am sure that would be more than enough for him to waive the cursed NTC. The question is ... who wants a goalie at that age and for that price? And I just checked capgeek.com-- Though his salary drops to $3 million in that last year, it still counts as $5 million. Basically, Chiarelli mortgaged the future as he saves on cap space this and next year when TT earns $6 mill per year and his cap hit remains the same across all four years. If Chiarelli doesn't deal him (for ANYBODY) this summer, the team is stuck with a bad contract given Rask's success.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Next season's VETERAN UFA goalies (2009-10 salaries) are:

Marty Turco (5.4M), Evgeny Nabokov (6.0M), Jose Theodore (4.5M), Vesa Toskala (4.0M), Chris Mason (3.0M), Dan Ellis (2.5M), Ray Emery (1.5M), Martin Biron (1.4M), Peter Budaj (1.25M), Johan Hedberg (1.175M), Patrick LaLime (1.0M), Stephen Valiquette (725K), Joey MacDonald (650K), Wade Dubielewicz (600K), Dany Sabourin (600K), Antero Niittymaki (600K), Brent Johnson (525K), Alex Auld (1.0M), Manny Legace (500K), Andrew Raycroft (500K).

The top 6 will not accept established backup roles. Emery is hurt so you don't know what you're going to get with him. I just don't see anyone who I'd take over Thomas. Timmy had an off year. I'd stick with him. I like the fact the B's have a 1A and 1B tandem.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

that guys an idiot because of everything he said. He also said Jimmy Howard was far and away the best rookie goalie...ummmmmm okay. read the transcript, the guy is dillusional
    Posted by pbergeron37

I live in Grand Rapids, MI, at least until we move back to NH this summer. (Thank God!)

I've watched Jimmy since his rookie season in Grand Rapids and he's the real deal. Detroit kept him back because they like their goalies to have "seasoning". He should have been in Detroit in 2008-09. He's a fine goalie who will have a solid NHL career. He is driven to succeed. He's been Detroit's MVP this season. That says a lot when you consider who is on that team. When Detroit was decimated by injuries to Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsyuk, Filppuula etc., Jimmy was the one who kept them in the hunt. But he also benefits from a few very good puck moving defensemen, Lidstrom and Rafalski, being healthy most of the season. Detroit's forwards do an excellent job on thebackcheck and are responsible in their own zone. He took the #1 spot from a slumping Chris Osgood and hasn't looked back. 

Thanks to NHL Center Ice, I've also watched Tuukka all season. The kid is phenominal. I believe that Rask will likely end up among the NHL's elite goaltenders. I've been gnawing at the bit to see him play since we snagged him from Toronto. (I still have a hard time believing that deal! LOL) Rask took the #1 spot from the reigning Vezina Tropy winner. That's the reason he doesn't have the number of starts Jimmy does. Tuukka led the NHL in GAA and Save% and has 5 shutouts. He did this with Chara and Wideman having off seasons as compared to last year as well as the loss of Lucic and Savard for a good portion of the season. He also had Thomas ahead of him who has, in no way, played as poorly as Osgood. Timmy was given the opportunity to play through his off games whereas Ozzie was not.

IMO both deserve a Calder nomination.

But I'll give the nod to Tuukka Rask... By a whisker.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Timmy will want a trade in order to play as#1, however Chiarelli will only trade him if he gets value in return. Whoever said the Bruins do not have any good goalies in their system is not paying attention to their signed minor league players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Bogie, Dany Sabourin (UFA) aside, how many of them are ready to step up to the NHL? I believe Kevin Regan is the closest. But I sure don't want to rely on Regan as Rask's backup next season. I think he's got a good future but he still needs some time in the AHL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Another factor, how much would they love TT back in his home state?  I mean the Wild sell out every game since their inception, but still, it would really help popularity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Taking the 5 mil off of the books for a backup goalie is value enough for me. I will be sorry to see him go but it would be best for us to move on. If he does go, I would be the first one to thank him for all he has done in Boston.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas : Yea, I am spot on, and heres why. What has Rask won you ask? Well, what has thomas won? a vezina that his team won for him? okay, yea, good point. On to your comparisons, Mason and Price are in no way shape or form comparable to Rask. Want to know why? Mason was drafted in the 3rd round (69th overall) by columbus and in his career has played a grand total of THREE, thats right, THREE games in the AHL. His first year out of junior he played 61 games and posted a 2.19 and a .915 or something like that. He has also had knee surgery. Price was drafted 5th overall in 2005 by the habs, and in his career has played all of TWELVE, count them, TWELVE games in the AHL. he posted a 2.56 and a .920 in his first season, playing 41 games. He also has fcking Garth Brooks on his helmet. Rask on the other hand was drafted 21st overall in 2005, and since then has played 102 NHL games....he has not had knee surgery, he does not have garth brooks on his helmet, and in his first NHL season played in 45 games, posted a league best 1.97 GAA, along with a league leading save percentage of .931. Even though his stats don't necessarily say it Thomas has been terrible this year, no question about it. He lets up terrible soft goals, and has been yanked for Rask quite a few times. Don't compare Rask to Mason and Price, the Bs went about his development in the right way, and if Rask gets pulled for Thomas in a playoff game where the outcome is still uncertain (basically, their not just throwing in Thomas to rest Rask in a blowout) I'll pay your way to the teams next game, because one thing we have never seen so far is Rask getting pulled for Timmy, and I would bet a lot of money that we won't ever see that happen.
    Posted by pbergeron37

The question still is & the answer is still the same. What has Rask won? How many play-off games has he won? How many rounds has he won? You're telling the B's to dump a Vezina winner & his contract on a goalie that has 50 NHL games under his belt! And has yet to win ANYTHING! And yes there is a comparison to Carey Price & Chris Mason. Price has an AHL Championship & World Jr Championship under his belt & Mason has a World Jr & a Calder! And I'll be waiting for those tickets!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

badhabitude, hes not from minnesota
    Posted by pbergeron37

darn, you're right, flint michigan.  i knew that, too.  the midwest all blends together for me.

too bad the wings don't need a goalie.