The fate of Tim Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: The fate of Tim Thomas

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas:
    In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas : The question still is & the answer is still the same. What has Rask won? How many play-off games has he won? How many rounds has he won? You're telling the B's to dump a Vezina winner & his contract on a goalie that has 50 NHL games under his belt! And has yet to win ANYTHING! And yes there is a comparison to Carey Price & Chris Mason. Price has an AHL Championship & World Jr Championship under his belt & Mason has a World Jr & a Calder! And I'll be waiting for those tickets!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Sorry my bad. Rask will win the Roger Crozier Saving Grace award for best save percentage. Still not enough to trade TT for yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from success7777. Show success7777's posts

Its a nice idea to try to move Thomas, but it will take alot for other clubs to pay up.  Bottom line is that B's brass overpaid for an aging goaltender when a younger Rask was the answer all along.  Its ironic how things worked out in the B's favor....we overpaid Thomas and had to dump salary in trading Kessel.  It may all work out if we get a top 2 pick in tomorrow's draft and Toronto tanks again next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

I agree with Pbergeron on this one.  I think Rask has done enough to warrant a starting job for next season, even if he doesn't have an excellent postseason, which one must not jump to conclusions about because he does have the worst overall offense playing in front of him.  I don't think that will be the case next season. 

That being said, Thomas shouldn't be moved unless he creates a really big problem for Chiarelli in the offseason about being a #1.  His contract, contrary to what people have written, is not outrageous money-wise.  Look at Chicago's problem with Huet or Turco in Dallas, those are higher contracts.  Where Chiarelli limited himself was with the no-trade clause.

But regardless how Thomas has performed this year, his money is even with market value and I have no problem with his contract. 

Where people are justified in being angry at Chiarelli's moves are paying guys like Ference, Ryder, Hunwick, etc. considerably more than their worth.  That is what kills this team, not Tim Thomas' contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

TT contract would be fine had he still been the #1 goalie.  His stats aside, he hasn't played as well as he has in the past and got outplayed by his rookie backup.  These facts alone make his contract not just bad...but brutal.  If the B's really think Rask is for real then they need to cut loose this overrated insurance policy.  There are at least 8-10 capable backups for Rask next year that would cost about 4 mill less than TT.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas : darn, you're right, flint michigan.  i knew that, too.  the midwest all blends together for me. too bad the wings don't need a goalie.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Wow....that's like saying all of the Northeast (East Coast more generically) blends together. Somewhere, very spontaneously, there are now countless Geography teachers weeping.

Correct, The Wings do not need a goalie and look to have at least two guys in the minors they are pretty hopeful of being backups to Howard in the coming years, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas : Wow....that's like saying all of the Northeast (East Coast more generically) blends together. Somewhere, very spontaneously, there are now countless Geography teachers weeping. Correct, The Wings do not need a goalie and look to have at least two guys in the minors they are pretty hopeful of being backups to Howard in the coming years, too.
    Posted by BlueEyedGuy

Yeah, but neither Lars or Tom are NHL ready. Another year for Ozzie in Detroit backing up Howie and hopefully Lars shows he can step up to the NHL in 2011-12. With Howie, Lars and Tom, Detroit is going to have 3 solid, NHL caliber goalies in a couple of seasons.

I agree, the Wings would have absolutely no interest in Thomas simply because of the cap hit. I do believe they will kick the tires on some of the UFA goalies though. Ozzie hasn't exactly been reliable these past 2 seasons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

Yet how can the team move him?

The answer is simple: Toronto. As long as they are around PC should be able to clean up after his mistakes. Yes we overpay vets...but we end up with garbage bags full of lottery balls. Thank you Leafs!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

i love t thomas

if you want to trade him  and he agrees then
    1. hope san jose gets knocked out early  nabokov=6 mil  they save money! with tt, remember the game tim stole there this yr? i bet doug wilson does.

2. hope Chicago gets knocked out early   see patrick sharp

3. hope washington gets knocked out early  take the draft picks this yr?

4. philly you know the story here

i dont want him in our conf. he can be dealt for a lot!

we are a better team with him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

we are a better team w/ him, agreed. But are we a better team if we spent his $5 wisely? Say $1.8 for a backup and $3- $3.5 on a top 6 forward or top 4 D.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

nitemare, how can you see a comparison to price? how are they simliar? Rask played over 100 games in the AHL....in my mind, hes proven
    Posted by pbergeron37

Proven what though? Was has he proven? You have TT bags packed already & the kid hasn't done a dam thing yet? As I said if Rask can get the B's beyond the 2nd rd. I said I'll be willing to trade TT & his contract. Until then we'll agree to disagree. You think Rask is the next Marty Brodeur. I think Rask has great potential to be an all-star. However, I am not ready to give him the reins of this team yet. We have a proven #1 goalie who had an off year. I say we keep him until we know Rask is as advertised. Until that time there's other money we can get rid of before we get rid of a Vezina, Jennings, Roger Crozier, 2 time All-star & a goalie with the best play-off Save percentage in the history of the franchise! So, don't bother arguing about anything else. I'll be just as bullheaded as you on this. You & you're young mind isn't going change it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

we are a better team w/ him, agreed. But are we a better team if we spent his $5 wisely? Say $1.8 for a backup and $3- $3.5 on a top 6 forward or top 4 D.
    Posted by mattymcgee55

I understand the sentiment, but what happens in 2 years when Rask's lovely extension comes to an end?  If he becomes the goalie we all hope he will, he'll be in line for the money you've just spent on another position.  Do you count on the Cap increasing, or plan on downgrading?
    Alternatively, keep that cap space in goal for two years (if you can't get reasonable return on him before) then when his NTC expires, trade Thomas to a team high on cap space but short on cash (this is where that $3 million in the final year is relevant).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

also Tim Thomas will always have a high save percentage because a. the bruins always give up a lot of outside shots. and b. he always gives up second chances.
    Posted by pbergeron37

This is so lame of an excuse & not even worth debating & a crock. So Rask's SP is just like TT right,  most shots from the outside? Isn't that part of your agrument in one of your post earlier? Rask still hasn't won ANYTHING YET! So he's had a great season. What has he WON! NOTHING, Zilch, Goose egg!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

also Tim Thomas will always have a high save percentage because a. the bruins always give up a lot of outside shots. and b. he always gives up second chances.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Oh one more thing. The shots TT has faced? He's given up one shot more per game on average 28-27. So TT second chances aren't so relevant to your argument either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

DrCC, i think the year that the bruins will be in the best position to the win the cup is the year after next year, or maybe even next year, because we will have an elite goalie at 1.25, and hopefully a big time player at 800K
    Posted by pbergeron37

Possibly, but that is a lot of eggs to put in one basket during the offseason.  At the trade deadline?  Certainly. 
    Yet if you build the team to the cap counting on those salaries, you can quickly find yourself in the kind of do-or-explode situation the Backhawks are in.  I suppose if Chiarelli really plans things carefully, it could work out.  That is tricky business though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas : okay i prove you wrong on the price/mason comparison and you just completely ignore it and say, well what has he done. I'll tell you what hes done, hes shut down everyone, EVERYONE, hes relieved Thomas 6 times and kept the Bs in the game every single time. Hes really only had one or two bad games the entire season, against tampa giving up five and Montreal giving up 4. But what has he done down the stretch when every bruin said that it was like every game was game 7? 2 against carolina, 1 against buffalo, 3 against washington in OT, and if that first goal was not called a goal then your looking at a 2-1 victory, 1,1,0,0. Those were his goals against for his last 7 games. Hes led the league in GAA and save % with a depleted team playing in front of him, hes done it with poise, and hasn't shown one sign of faltering. What has Thomas done? Hes had ONE GOOD YEAR. ONE....JUST ONE. Guess what that one great year he had was in front of the best team defense the NHL has seen since NJ was in their prime. 07-08 was decent. but his GAA was around 2.5, it wasn't by any means dominant. Thomas has been beaten by a rookie. He has let in weak goals time and time again, and hurt the teams breakout with his inability to control a rebound. He is the second best goalie on this team, and hes getting paid like hes elite....hes gotta go
    Posted by pbergeron37

BTW I also didn't ignore your Price/Mason comparison. You didn't prove Jack. Out of the 3 goalies Rask/Price/Mason? Who has won what?  I was the one that has FACTS to base my argument. Price & Mason have won the things I said. You're claming Rask has had more success then them based on what? Your opinion!

Your opinion has prejudice. And prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from success7777. Show success7777's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas : Proven what though? Was has he proven? You have TT bags packed already & the kid hasn't done a dam thing yet? As I said if Rask can get the B's beyond the 2nd rd. I said I'll be willing to trade TT & his contract. Until then we'll agree to disagree. You think Rask is the next Marty Brodeur. I think Rask has great potential to be an all-star. However, I am not ready to give him the reins of this team yet. We have a proven #1 goalie who had an off year. I say we keep him until we know Rask is as advertised. Until that time there's other money we can get rid of before we get rid of a Vezina, Jennings, Roger Crozier, 2 time All-star & a goalie with the best play-off Save percentage in the history of the franchise! So, don't bother arguing about anything else. I'll be just as bullheaded as you on this. You & you're young mind isn't going change it.
    Posted by nitemare-38

Not sure if you're really watching the games, but Rask is technically sound compared to TT's unorthodox style.  Numbers don't really lie here.  Its not like TT has won anything other than some personal hardware last year fighting for his hockey life.....so unless the B's win the cup, I don't know if any goalie has done much in Boston of late.

Btw, I am not reading anything from the Boston beat writers about the draft lottery which I think they are badly dropping the ball here.  How is this possible??  If anyone truly believes the B's have a chance of winning the cup this year, they are delusionary.  The only chance the B's can win is adding by free agency, trading with combination of good drafting.......BEATWRITERS DROPPING THE BALL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

nitemare, you want facts, read my old posts. FACT, you were using Mason and Price as examples of goalies that imploded after great rookie campaigns. FACT, neither one of those goalies had much time in the AHL. Combined they had 15 regular season games to Tuukkas 102. FACT, both of those goalies were thrust into starting roles while Rask has SLOWLY been developed, so he can handle the stress of a starting goaltenders role in the NHL. You want facts, I got them for you, apparently you just refused to read them.
    Posted by pbergeron37

I don't care about how many games he's played in minors. My argument is you telling the B's to trade away a # 1 goalie in Thomas for a 22/23 yr old kid (like yourself) that hasn't won anything. You contradict yourself! You say TT had one good season! Well isn't all that Rask has to his credit? SO FAR! Carey Price won an AHL championship after his Jr year was done & then came up & had a decent yr in for the Scabs! Then he basically shite the bed in the play-offs! Carey Price was/is supposedly technically sound too. Mason came off a World Jr & A Calder trophy win. Another so called technically sound goalie- who didn't do it in the play-offs. Playing 102 AHL game isn't reason to trade your #1 goalie because of a rough season & gamble on a 22 yr old because he's has 102 AHL games under his belt & 50 NHL games & 0 play-offs. That's my arguement. If Rask turns into another Andy Moog 81 vs Mon, Dryden in 71, Richard Brodeur in 82, Hasek & Brodeur in 94. Then we can talk about about moving Thomas. Until that time comes you can stick however many AHL games you want in my face. It doesn't change anything. Rask hasn't won anything....YET!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas : Not sure if you're really watching the games, but Rask is technically sound compared to TT's unorthodox style.  Numbers don't really lie here.  Its not like TT has won anything other than some personal hardware last year fighting for his hockey life.....so unless the B's win the cup, I don't know if any goalie has done much in Boston of late. Btw, I am not reading anything from the Boston beat writers about the draft lottery which I think they are badly dropping the ball here.  How is this possible??  If anyone truly believes the B's have a chance of winning the cup this year, they are delusionary.  The only chance the B's can win is adding by free agency, trading with combination of good drafting.......BEATWRITERS DROPPING THE BALL.
    Posted by success7777

I ahven't missed a game this year. Thank You very much. I'm not saying the B's will win the cup, but how much have you watched in the past? It's not delusionary to have hope & faith. Remember the 71 Canadiens? How about the 1980 US Oylmpic team? Upsets happen all the time in sports. Picking longshots isn't delusionary in sports. Delusionary is thinking you can get stubborn Axses to change their mind! Even when they contradict themselves & use facts that have no bearing on the subject.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Rask is the future but Thomas is far from being a has-been. In fact, it would not surprise me to see Tim get a game or two in the playoffs. Yes, I'd prefer him at 3-3.5M a season but that can't happen so why dwell on it? Timmy will be given every opportunity to show he deserves playing time in camp. Rask will not be handed the #1 spot. Neither goalie is going to spend 65 games sitting on the bench next season. I think this is more of an issue on this board than it is in the B's front office. The B's will need a competent goalie to play alongside Rask as he continues to develop. Thomas is going to be the guy. I believe that if the right offer came along the B's would part with Thomas if he waived his NTC. But I don't think the B's wil activelyl shop him. I'm more than comfortable with tandem of Thomas and Rask next season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Rask is the future but Thomas is far from being a has-been. In fact, it would not surprise me to see Tim get a game or two in the playoffs. Yes, I'd prefer him at 3-3.5M a season but that can't happen so why dwell on it? Timmy will be given every opportunity to show he deserves playing time in camp. Rask will not be handed the #1 spot. Neither goalie is going to spend 65 games sitting on the bench next season. I think this is more of an issue on this board than it is in the B's front office. The B's will need a competent goalie to play alongside Rask as he continues to develop. Thomas is going to be the guy. I believe that if the right offer came along the B's would part with Thomas if he waived his NTC. But I don't think the B's wil activelyl shop him. I'm more than comfortable with tandem of Thomas and Rask next season.
    Posted by BruWingFan

Thank You! That's exactly what I've been saying.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]okay, right you are, none of this warrants trading away your number one goalie, but I'm not suggesting that we trade Rask, I'm suggesting we trade our back up, who has been out played by a Rookie, who, throught his professional career has shown nothing but dominance (he is finishing up his 3rd professional year). You sir, are truly blind if you cannot see that Rask is our number one goalie, the goalie of the future, and the present. Thomas, aside from the odd game here and there, has not played well this year, and if your watching the games thats pretty hard to miss, there is a very good reason why he is on the bench right now.
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE
    Now you're just being obtuse! Just forget it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

You have to trade Thomas next year before the regular season starts before he loses his value in the market. He is still considered fresh off winning the venzina award and was unlucky to catch an injury. Not that old for a goalie just yet.

So we get some value back from trading him (i think he won't mind giving up his no trade claus since he wants to play) and also can have money to sign rask.

Rask is worth (At this pt and pending playoff performance) easily 5 million per year. If he does well this playoffs it would be a good risk to sign him to a 5 year 5 million dollar extension.

Also you can blame PC all you want that he overpaid for Timmy but the guy has had a couple of solid seasons with the b's and finally won the venzina last year. Some goalies not as good already get 6 million a year.

Its a good luxury to have two venzina calibre goalies and to have a chance to trade one for some decent players in return

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

All of Thomas stats can be explained. Low career GAA, even alex auld had a low GAA in the Bs system. Save %? a ton of outside shots taht he gave up huge rebounds on, luckily thats where that defensive system kicked in, smothering those huge rebounds. He has been over rated the last few seasons, and I got laughed at when I said Rask would be the starter by the end of the season. I got laughed at when I said the Bs should trade the rights to Timmy elsewhere and sign Craig Anderson for around 1.5-2. Now everyone wants to get rid of him.
    Posted by pbergeron37

I'm one of the people who agrees with pb37.  I've always gotten grief in wanting to trade him before the entire rest of the league remembered why they never had an interest in him before.  Thomas has always been terribly overrated around here.  I always wanted them to upgrade "Vezina" or not. Thomas falling into the starting spot when Raycroft got hurt... then when Toivonen got hurt... then when Fernandez got hurt (yes, they went shopping for Fernandez to be #1) was NOT "solving" the Bruins' problem in goal.

Thomas had a fantasy season last year.  He had great numbers on a great team with great coaching and great defense.  He also had essentially the same numbers as Fernandez when Manny hurt his back.  You could easily have made the argument that Fernandez earned the spot on the All Star team that they gift-wrapped for Thomas.  Who beat Detroit? Oh yes, that was Fernandez.  The team always looked much more under control with Fernandez' professional style (just like this year with Rask) than during Timmy's Chinese Fire Drill act making everything look hard.  Then to complete it, all the elite goalies (Luongo, Brodeur, Miller, Nabokov, etc, etc) were hurt, had bad years, etc, making a joke of the 3 Vezina finalists (Backstrom, Mason and Tank) ALL of whom eventually lost their starting jobs at some point in 2010.  TT will always be one those "remember when they gave the Vezina to Tim Thomas??" OMG... stories.

However this year, TTs overplay, out of position, nightmares in OT/SO, terrible rebound control, etc showed up much worse on a shaky defensive B's team.  Interestingly, the TT fans who couldnt shut up about TT's stats last year dont have much to say about Rask leading the NHL in GAA and save %, behind a questionable D.  Shocking.

His story has always been very warm and fuzzy, and thats nice, but really, I can't sit through another season of Tim Thomas.  I also guarantee there are NOT 14 NHL GMs that are interested in him, just because his GAA was lower than their goalie's.  This guy has never been well-regarded by the league, for good reason.  They obviously arent Bruin Fanboys.

His contract will be tough to move, but the fact that he's old and simply not that good will be the biggest problem in moving him.  He would bring a Cup to Chicago or Washington?  Laughable.  Remember last year during his "vezina" season when he gave up that OT goal from center ice?  Think those Capitals' players are wanting that guy in there at playoff time, a terrible goal always waiting to happen?  I think not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

By the way, I have zero interest in this latest game of, "let's try to tear down Rask to make TT not look so bad" game.

While I love Tuuka's obvious talent, technical beauty (did you hear the Penguin announcers laughing at the style differences between TT and Rask last time they played?) and obvious bright future, I do not overrate Rask just because I can't stand to watch Thomas give up bad goals and overact easy saves any more.

Rask really has to mature, be more consistent, improve his puckhandling skills/decisions, and just continue to develop before I'm ready to call him a Cup contender or elite goaltender.  However, I'm more than happy to give him the keys to the car and let him develop.   It's for the good of the organization.

But when people on here try to criticize Rask in some lame attempt at defending the Aging Flopper, well, that's just weak.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Want to see who'll be willing to deal for Thomas?  Watch what happens in the upcoming playoffs.  Any true contender who went into the playoffs with suspect goaltending and winds up exiting the playoffs a a result of it...Washington, LA, Chicago, Phliars...would be a likely candidate to make a move for a recent Vezina winner like TT.  That's why PC re-signed TT; if he hadn't, someone else surely would have and we'd have gotten nothing in return.  Believe it or not, TT should be worth at least a good young player or prospect AND a #2 pick.

Of all the goalies mentioned by BruinFanInPenT ("...Vokoun, Chris Mason, Marty Turco, Nabokov, one of the Islander goalies..."), I think only Vokoun would have more appeal than TT.  Sharks will keep Nabby unless he flops in playoffs, Mason's been a disappointment in Nashville and St. L., Turco's been going steadily downhill in recent years, Roloson will be 41 next year and because Luongo's been downright scary-awful since the Olympics (he was also streaky-bad last season at times, but even moreso this year), I think Vancouver will keep Schneider this summer.  Up until this year, TT's had 4 steadily improving seasons; I'll bet one of those contenders with goalie as its missing piece will make a move for TT this summer or at the trade deadline.