The Flyer Model

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

The Flyer Model

It's only been one game, but the Bruins need to do something about how terrible Hunwick is. We can't do it all year, but in my opinion, we need to rely on our top 4 like the Flyers did and then, also like the Flyers, add some depth to our D.

Chara-Boychuk
    Seidenberg- Stuart
    -----------------------
    Ferrence- Bartkowski
    McQuaid

It's actually ridiculous how much Ference and Hunwick screw up in their 10-13 minutes of ice time. Hunwick is completely unable to defend against NHL-caliber forwards and Ference is really only useful against small forwards and blocking shots. I think Ference might be better without having to cover for the massive liability that is Hunwick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Re: The Flyer Model

Also, why is Stuart always in the bottom pairing? Does anyone on this board believe that McQuaid, Bartkowski, Ference, or Hunwick are better than him at this point?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

we need wideman back

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: The Flyer Model:
    [QUOTE]Also, why is Stuart always in the bottom pairing? Does anyone on this board believe that McQuaid, Bartkowski, Ference, or Hunwick are better than him at this point?
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

It could be because Stuart isn't running at 100% yet. I think the B's value Stuart more than that. Then again, maybe it's Staurt who's the only one not a robot to the system.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Flyers haven't won since 1975-76

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I never understood why they let a character guy like Hnidy go.  He wasnt a top 4.  But he was a nice 5-6 dman.  Same applies for Montedor.  Not flashy.  But came to work everynight.  Ference was a brutal signing for that money.  LOTS of better options for that money. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]Flyers haven't won since 1975-76
    Posted by Canadianfan6[/QUOTE]
    I was really referring to their run last year when they relied heavily (and in the finals, almost exclusively) on Pronger, Timmonen, Cobourn and Carle. Then this offseason they brought in O'Donnell and Mesjaros (sorry for spelling).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Its beyond me why we are paying Sides 3.25 million. PC blew it on that. Its so frustarting to see JJ finally open the bank & have PC blow it on a guy that was almost out of the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]I never understood why they let a character guy like Hnidy go.  He wasnt a top 4.  But he was a nice 5-6 dman.  Same applies for Montedor.  Not flashy.  But came to work everynight.  Ference was a brutal signing for that money.  LOTS of better options for that money. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

For Ference money, we could have Hnidy, Montador, and a #7 d-man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoonieMcKutchins. Show BoonieMcKutchins's posts

[QUOTE]Also, why is Stuart always in the bottom pairing? Does anyone on this board believe that McQuaid, Bartkowski, Ference, or Hunwick are better than him at this point?

Stuart should be the freaking Captain, not Lurchy McChara

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]we need wideman back
    Posted by bruins8[/QUOTE]

wow !  does this mean you don't like Horton ?
    If the Bruins had Horton last season they woulod have won at least another 10 games. All those one goal games with no real sniper.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Flyer Model : I was really referring to their run last year when they relied heavily (and in the finals, almost exclusively) on Pronger, Timmonen, Cobourn and Carle. Then this offseason they brought in O'Donnell and Mesjaros (sorry for spelling).

And they lost.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I never understood why they let a character guy like Hnidy go.  He wasnt a top 4.  But he was a nice 5-6 dman.  Same applies for Montedor.  Not flashy.  But came to work everynight.  Ference was a brutal signing for that money.  LOTS of better options for that money. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Dang, Shupe!  What happened to you?  You used to have quality posts.  Montador was 100% awful.  His play makes Hunwick look like Lidstrom.

Hnidy was a slow moving, small impact d-man would could only crack the Top 4 on any NHL team if there was a plane crash.

Ference is fine.  He makes (comparatively speaking) average money and can play Top 4.  The problem with him is his injuries, not his skills.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

NAS:

- The flyers may have lost, but made it to the finals, by shunning their useless bottom pairing. Also note that I included in the "Flyer model" adding depth defense.

- Hnidy and Montador were very well respected in the locker room and brought veteran leadership. On the other hand, Ference caused at least some dissension in the room last year and was replaced as team rep by Stuart. Hunwick is useless defensively. I'd have no issue using Montador as a 6-7 with only 8-10 minutes per game while leaning on the top 4.

- Also, Shupe clearly states that he doesn't think Hnidy or Montador were top 4, so there's really no reason for you to say that they aren't. He agrees with you on that but still feels they had a useful role to play on the team. Ference is not a #4 just because he can play there. Hunwick's been in the 4-spot, but it doesn't look like he deserves that spot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NOT- no way Ference should have been signed for that money.  He has done nothing to deserve that contract. That is Willie Mitchell money and he isnt near him in talent or leadership.
     And I didnt say Hnidy or Mont should be in the top 4.  But as a 5-6 both were pretty solid and cheap. 
    I know you know your stuff so I am not gonna mention the cap.  Actually I am.  Ference should not have been signed when we have young guys waiting to get in there.  Our top 4 are good.   Go cheap and let a kid play in that spot.  Ference won't play 40 games this year is my prediction. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]NAS: - The flyers may have lost, but made it to the finals, by shunning their useless bottom pairing. Also note that I included in the "Flyer model" adding depth defense. - Hnidy and Montador were very well respected in the locker room and brought veteran leadership. On the other hand, Ference caused at least some dissension in the room last year and was replaced as team rep by Stuart. Hunwick is useless defensively. I'd have no issue using Montador as a 6-7 with only 8-10 minutes per game while leaning on the top 4. - Also, Shupe clearly states that he doesn't think Hnidy or Montador were top 4, so there's really no reason for you to say that they aren't. He agrees with you on that but still feels they had a useful role to play on the team. Ference is not a #4 just because he can play there. Hunwick's been in the 4-spot, but it doesn't look like he deserves that spot.

Montador and Hnidy??
    Wow.
    I was happy to have Hnidy on the Sabers in the playoffs, he helped us more by playing for them then he did when he played for us v. Carolina.

Montador?  Playoffs Carolina, Montador winds up for a slapper and someone comes out to block it by hitting the deck.  Montador bangs it right into the guy, that happened at least twice.  On odd occasions (very odd actually) when someone tries to block MY SLAP SHOT by doing that, my eyes light up.  I'm not the best stick handler in the world, but it is sooo easy to step around someone flat on the ice sliding toward you.

Utterly, completely beyond me that someone in the NHL had his head down so bad he didn't step around someone trying to block his shot, not once, but twice??

Really.  Montador and Hnidy.  Oh the humanity!  Lord save us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Well, what you see is what you get, they are going to roll them pretty much how they have been. I don't think they are ever going to willingly put more of a load on Chara anyways. They can't have him playing 30+ every night, and I'm not as big on Seidenberg as many here. Hunwick and Ference are fine with me at 5-6. If Hunwick plays his way off the team, well that is on him. McQ and Bartkowski knocking = a good motivator.

The Sherriff of Nothingham and Monty? Thanks but no thanks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Let's be clear: Hnidy and Montador aren't going to turn this team around, but I'd rather have those two at around $1.7 million than Ference at $2.2. Those guys were veteran presences and were very well liked by their teammates. If Upshall ran Rask with Hnidy or Montador on the ice, I guarantee more would have happened than the pat on the shoulder Ference mustered up.  We lost a significant amount of team grit when those two left. Ference adds very little to this team. He may not be the error machine that Hunwick is, but there really isn't much value added in his game. He takes up some minutes, but that's about it. His breakout passes are decent, his speed is average, he doesn't have a great shot, he's pretty poor at defending big forwards, and he's injury prone. My main point is that the Bruins should rely way more on their top 4 than worry about giving any meaningful minutes to Ference and Hunwick (combined 3.6 million cap hit).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

seobrien, I agree, we can't have Chara playing 30+ minutes a night. His minutes are fine, but we need to give more to Stuart, Boychuk, and Seidenberg. I'd also like to see McQuaid in there against slower teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Some stats:

Regular season, last year:
    Flyers top 4D: 23:20 M/G  (77.8% of all ice time)
    Bottom     2D: 14:03
    Bruins top 4D: 23:00        (76.7%)
    Bottom     2D: 16:37

Playoffs:
    Flyers top 4D: 26:40       (88.9%)
    Bottom     2D:  8:34
    Bruins top 4D: 25:34       (85.2%)
    Bottom     2D: 13:15

Looks like the teams have a similar philosophies, only the Bruins started out a little less top-heavy, and went a little less extreme in the playoffs (Hunwick and Boychuk being in the top 4 may have had something to do with that).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Flyer Model : Montador and Hnidy?? Wow. I was happy to have Hnidy on the Sabers in the playoffs, he helped us more by playing for them then he did when he played for us v. Carolina. Montador?  Playoffs Carolina, Montador winds up for a slapper and someone comes out to block it by hitting the deck.  Montador bangs it right into the guy, that happened at least twice.  On odd occasions (very odd actually) when someone tries to block MY SLAP SHOT by doing that, my eyes light up.  I'm not the best stick handler in the world, but it is sooo easy to step around someone flat on the ice sliding toward you. Utterly, completely beyond me that someone in the NHL had his head down so bad he didn't step around someone trying to block his shot, not once, but twice?? Really.  Montador and Hnidy.  Oh the humanity!  Lord save us.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Montador also fed Eric Staal a perfect one-timer pass for a game winning goal in the Carolina series.His brutal turnover was a large part of why the Bruins eventually lost that series.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I have no problems with them shortening the bench in the playoffs (if needed), but it is a long season and I think they need use all the players available to them unless there become some huge issues.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

where's Garry Galley when you need him?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

From today's article:

"Perhaps the only strain Julien placed [in sunday's game against Phoenix] was on Zdeno Chara, who logged 29:13 of ice time Sunday as the Bruins leaned on their top two defense pairings. Last season, Chara averaged 25:22 of ice time per game, 12th-most in the league."