THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11

Just picked up my copy of the 2010-11 The Hockey News Yearbook.  Aside from having a smiling Phil Kessel on its cover with the headline, "Phill Kessel: At Long Last, Toronto Has Hope," the prediction is for the Bruins to finish third in the East with the following assessement: "Thanks to impressive depth at all positions, the B's will shake off last year's playoff choke job to win the Northeast."  (The Caps and Pens are seen as 1-2, respectively.) 

One intangible sighted for putting team toughness and fortitude under a microscope this year is the heat the club received for not immediately addressing the Cooke hit and the failure to beat Philly after taking the 3-0 lead in the series and Game 7.  The team needs more of a "killer instinct."

With the changes made by the likes of TB, Thrashers and Philly, where do you all think the Bruins will finish in the final Eastern Conference standings Saturday, April 9, 2011 after their last regular season game against Ottawa?  (The mag has the Flyers, NJ, Sabres, Lightning and Habs following the Bruins, in order, to round out the top eight and has Vancouver winning the Cup.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11

TB hasn't done anything major yet.  Simon Gagne, Brett Connolly, couple other smaller moves here and there, there not quite a contending team just yet.  Few more tweaks here and there and they're in.

Atlanta did nothing except add Byfuiglen, Eager, and Sopel. That's not going to make them contenders, even if Ramsay is their coach.

Philly has sh*t goaltending, unless they manage to get Niemi.  They'll make the playoffs, and maybe they'll get past the first round, but offense and defense can only get you so far (just ask Washington).  You need goaltending.

Side Note: Penguins will probly finish in the 3-5 range, but will dominate the playoffs.  That's just how they operate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

What store did you buy it at. I went to some stores and they do not have it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11:
    [QUOTE]What store did you buy it at. I went to some stores and they do not have it.
    Posted by stinkman[/QUOTE]

It wasn't easy to find.  I kept going to the local variety store, Mac's Convenience, across the street for the last couple of weeks with no luck.  I saw other mags like THE FAN 590 2010-11 NHL Preview & Fantasy Guide. Finally, I spotted a pile of them on the magazine rack near the other sports publications this past Sunday and went straight to the predictions. 

When you get yours, be ready for the headline "Hungry Hearts Wanted: After a tepid season and epic playoff choke, the Bruins need to prove they've still got growl."  Just about sums it up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

"Hungry Hearts Wanted: After a tepid season and epic playoff choke, the Bruins need to prove they've still got growl." 

Glad to see someone else agrees

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]"Hungry Hearts Wanted: After a tepid season and epic playoff choke, the Bruins need to prove they've still got growl."  Glad to see someone else agrees
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

The "X Factor," according to the same assessment was yes, injuries (Savard, Lucic, Ference, Stuart, Chara's finger; Krejci in the playoffs) were a major factor, but the opinion remains the Bruins "simply didn't want it enough."  We did see some games that fit that description. 

Probably led to the club chugging out of the gate, setting the tone for the year to come.  Mix in those injuries and we fans watched a team that never seemed to get going consistently in the regular season, at least. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

For the Bruins, it does come down to "Hungry Hearts". But CJ needs to get with it also, as in adjusting to situations within the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

We have a subscription here for the Hockey news so we have had the issue for a couple of weeks. The first thing I noticed was two years in a row the cover featured a player with a Leaf jersey on. Not Blackhawks or Ovie, or Crosby just another 29th place loser from Toronto. That just drives me up the wall that a team can be so useless yet the Hockey news uses a player from the Leafs to represent there annual prediction mag. They predict the Canucks to go all the way so why not use someone from that team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

[QUOTE]TB hasn't done anything major yet.  Simon Gagne, Brett Connolly, couple other smaller moves here and there, there not quite a contending team just yet.  Few more tweaks here and there and they're in. Atlanta did nothing except add Byfuiglen, Eager, and Sopel. That's not going to make them contenders, even if Ramsay is their coach. Philly has sh*t goaltending, unless they manage to get Niemi.  They'll make the playoffs, and maybe they'll get past the first round, but offense and defense can only get you so far (just ask Washington).  You need goaltending. Side Note: Penguins will probly finish in the 3-5 range, but will dominate the playoffs.  That's just how they operate.
    Posted by beantowngm15[/QUOTE]

sure pens will dominate in the post season just like they did this past season

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11 : sure pens will dominate in the post season just like they did this past season
    Posted by bruins8[/QUOTE]

Lol, not exactly like this season (Philly got on a lucky streak), but you know what I mean

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah I don't think I would want to see phat Phil on the cover either. I think with Chara, Lucic, Stuart, Thornton, Boychuk, Ference and McQuaid the Bruins can be tough when they need to be. Problem is the Bruins couldn't score last year so if PC tried to go tougher like Waddell or Slats you don't get what you really need which is some finesse snipers hopefully Sequin and Horton fill that roll I think they will.

I think they have a good mix of both grinders, finesse and players that don't take any guff from anyone. Hnidy, Axelsson, Begin, Kobasew and Ward players like that of the past 2 years needed to be replaced with younger legs plus a little more skill. Boychuk, Paille, Campbell, Recchi and Siedenberg will make the Bruins better than the 08', 09' and '10 Bruins versions more skill and younger. Yep Recchin ball makes Begin and Kobasew look old!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

My cover featured Marion Gaborik. Maybe it's regional covers?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]We have a subscription here for the Hockey news so we have had the issue for a couple of weeks. The first thing I noticed was two years in a row the cover featured a player with a Leaf jersey on. Not Blackhawks or Ovie, or Crosby just another 29th place loser from Toronto. That just drives me up the wall that a team can be so useless yet the Hockey news uses a player from the Leafs to represent there annual prediction mag. They predict the Canucks to go all the way so why not use someone from that team.
    Posted by Reilly24[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, Reilly!  Last year it was Luke Schenn as the coverboy.  I think the headline was "Buckle Up, Toronto!  The Bay Street Bullies Are Here!"  Not sour grapes but a bit Leaf-centric, to be sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]My cover featured Marion Gaborik. Maybe it's regional covers?
    Posted by BlackandGold24[/QUOTE]

Thanks B & G 24!  Never thought of that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup you are correct!  I am a subscriber and my yearbook has Miller and a pic of Chara.  The caption down at the bottom states "Why things are looking up in Boston".  Anything goes on the predictions.  Common sense would dictate the Bs will better next year without the injury list.  As for the epic loss, don't agree with the epic, but the Bs had an opportunity and did not seize the day.  The team has talent nonetheless as compared to the others.  TB is overrated and Carolina is underrated in my comparative predictions.  The Vancouver prediction could be true but it will not be a long playoff run for the Canucks with the Sedin twins. Now if Peter Forsberg was on the team, well, the situation would be different.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Now that makes sence. Just another reason why living in Leaf land is soo brutal. Strangers walk up to you and say "how bout them Leafs" as if everyone in Southern Ontario is a Leaf fan. Makes me barf ! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11 : Yup you are correct!  I am a subscriber and my yearbook has Miller and a pic of Chara.  The caption down at the bottom states "Why things are looking up in Boston".  Anything goes on the predictions.  Common sense would dictate the Bs will better next year without the injury list.  As for the epic loss, don't agree with the epic, but the Bs had an opportunity and did not seize the day.  The team has talent nonetheless as compared to the others.  TB is overrated and Carolina is underrated in my comparative predictions.  The Vancouver prediction could be true but it will not be a long playoff run for the Canucks with the Sedin twins. Now if Peter Forsberg was on the team, well, the situation would be different.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    Could not agree more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm never very impressed with the Hockey News previews.  For one thing, it comes out way too soon, with tons of free agents still unsigned and before training camp developments, so the predictions are kind of a shot in the dark.  They seem pretty sloppy too, I remember last year they had Matt Lashoff penciled in as a top six d-man on the B's, months after he had been traded to Tampa. 

The written information is usually pretty hackneyed and recycled too (Chara is a big force on the blue line, Datsyuk is a great two-way forward, goal-tending is critical, ...etc).  I think TSN does a much better job with the season previews.  I wouldn't waste the money on another Hockey New preview.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Really interested in the Leafs of course, THN believes that they will rise to 12th behind the added offense of Versteeg and Armstrong.

And they look for improved goaltending from Jonas and JS Giguerre - who they must think is getting younger.  And gee, maybe Jonas's heart won't explode.

Hey, maybe they might move out of the cellar and gyp us out of a #1 overall pick, but not for the reasons they cite.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Really interested in the Leafs of course, THN believes that they will rise to 12th behind the added offense of Versteeg and Armstrong. And they look for improved goaltending from Jonas and JS Giguerre - who they must think is getting younger.  And gee, maybe Jonas's heart won't explode. Hey, maybe they might move out of the cellar and gyp us out of a #1 overall pick, but not for the reasons they cite.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Ah, hope springs eternal in Toronto, BadHab.  Just like it does every year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11 : Ah, hope springs eternal in Toronto, BadHab.  Just like it does every year.
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario[/QUOTE]

I want a top 5 pick like nobody's business.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]We have a subscription here for the Hockey news so we have had the issue for a couple of weeks. The first thing I noticed was two years in a row the cover featured a player with a Leaf jersey on. Not Blackhawks or Ovie, or Crosby just another 29th place loser from Toronto. That just drives me up the wall that a team can be so useless yet the Hockey news uses a player from the Leafs to represent there annual prediction mag. They predict the Canucks to go all the way so why not use someone from that team.
    Posted by Reilly24[/QUOTE]

The Hockey News has different covers for different areas of the hockey world according to where you live. Some years in their advertising they show all the different players they have on the cover. I too live in the Toronto area and had the luxury of seeing Phil Kessel when it arrived in the mail.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

To get back to the predictions, if they stay healthy, the Bruins should win the division and finish in the top four in the conference, which is what's important. Winning the conference is irrelevant and can be counterproductive.

Play well as a team, learn your lessons, stay healthy and peak for the playoffs. That should be the goal.

That said, THN does come out too early with this stuff. I know people are jonesing for hockey, but it's difficult to get in-depth with precise predictions (which is something of an oxymoron anyway) when many teams' rosters aren't even set yet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Looking at the THN prediction of Leafs finishing 12th in the East, and as much as I'd like for them to finish at or near the bottom, I think they are probably right.

Their goaltending has improved, their defense seems fairly solid and they have upgraded their wingers. The only thing holding them back is the centre position - they have no-one of any consequence, and that will hold them back from advancing further up the standings.

Hopefully, they'll get off to a slow start and the media will start turning up the heat of the frying pan and discombobulate all the players...and they finish last overall.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11 :   As for the epic loss, don't agree with the epic, but the Bs had an opportunity and did not seize the day.    
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

3 teams in hockey history have blown 3-0 leads, the Bruins becoming one of them.

Pretty epic.

Sections
Shortcuts