THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11

In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11:
    In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11 : Injuries seemingly only to happen to the Bruins!  Me thinks the issue is greater. Inexperience, overconfidence, and lack of fortitude doomed the Bs early in the season.  Seemingly, these same characteristics were came true in the playoffs.  Injuries ok, but let us not fathom 3-0 lead in games and in the 7th game as simply anatomical.  Let the thought be rising to the occasion, or better yet lack of depth as the reasons for failure. 29 teams fail, but injuries are not the only reason.  
    Posted by islamorada

We often think such things as injuries only happen to the Bruins, but other teams suffer as well. As I've noted before, I saw more than one post-playoff article two years ago blaming the Red Wings' loss to the Penguins on Pavel Datsyuk's broken foot. And speaking of the Red Wings, they struggled a good chunk of last year and worried for a time about not making the playoffs because of - you guessed it - injuries.

Nothing is simple, of course. It wasn't simply injuries, though injuries can have a domino effect, often robbing a team of confidence and self-assurance. I wouldn't say it was overconfidence that hurt them in the playoffs, especially in Game 7; I think it was actually the opposite, that they doubted themselves and started expecting the worst to happen, and it did.

If you didn't see it, some interesting comments from Tuukka Rask on the playoffs, their aftereffect and the upcoming season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nhl/columns/story?columnist=murphy_james&id=5506890

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks Duinne, I have been to Sweden so many times and to Finland as well.  The passive culture is very evident once you get off of the jet. I can totally agree with Rask and how he wants to escape the negative aspects of the "epic"? loss.  Me thinks he will rebound to win significant number of games, Thomas will also be up to form and the tandem will be formidable considering the goaltending tandems in the rest of the conference, bar Buffalo.  The nature of the comment "doubted themselves and started expecting the worst to happen, and it did" makes the me think the same would be true if Krejci was not hurt.  One player does not make a team nor does the loss of one player mean success.  All is forgiven if the Bs can be healthy and use the past experience to play and execute when it is necessary, ie. the playoffs.  Coaching is key in keeping tempo in proper perspective during the season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Thanks Duinne, I have been to Sweden so many times and to Finland as well.  The passive culture is very evident once you get off of the jet. I can totally agree with Rask and how he wants to escape the negative aspects of the "epic"? loss.  Me thinks he will rebound to win significant number of games, Thomas will also be up to form and the tandem will be formidable considering the goaltending tandems in the rest of the conference, bar Buffalo.  The nature of the comment "doubted themselves and started expecting the worst to happen, and it did" makes the me think the same would be true if Krejci was not hurt.  One player does not make a team nor does the loss of one player mean success.  All is forgiven if the Bs can be healthy and use the past experience to play and execute when it is necessary, ie. the playoffs.  Coaching is key in keeping tempo in proper perspective during the season. 
    Posted by islamorada

I definitely agree that the loss of one player isn't that much of a factor. The problem was, of course, was that Krejci was simply the final, cumulative blow. If Marc Savard and Mark Stuart and Vladimir Sobotka and Andrew Ference had been perfectly healthy, if Sturm and Seidenberg had been able to play, Krejci's injury would not have been as much of a factor. Krejci was simply the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Would the pairing of Seidenberg and Chara been more effective against the Flyers forwards than Chara and an NHL rookie (Boychuk)? Would the defense have been better without McQuaid skating significant minutes, and instead a healthy Stuart? Would Satan have continued to score with Krejci as his   centerman, rather than a half-there Savard's? Would the forecheckers have been more effective against Philly if Sobotka wasn't playing with a bum shoulder?

Even so, they were hanging tough against the Flyers; they could very easily have won games four or six or even seven (game five was a washout), given one fewer hit post or bad bounce. Could Krejci have made a difference in three one-goal games, one of which went to OT? I think so.

Anyway, it's water under the bridge, and something, as Rask said, to be used as an object lesson. When the playoffs began, I had no expectations: My main hope was that Rask would get the experience he needed for next year. Looks like he's taken the lessons to heart.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I guess Philly's injuries don't count...nobody blows a 3-0 series lead, and 3-0 lead in game 7 due to "injuries". Only a non competitor could make such a ridiculous fictional statement...total nonsense. Get some new excuse material, that one has been used for the last 2 seasons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

Thank you for posting the Rask article, duinne.  His levelheadedness, if there is such a word, came through in his words.  It doesn't seem like he allows himself to ride any emotional highs or lows.  Perhaps, this is the "passivity" islamorada spoke of earlier. 

After the read, I thought "Man, does Finland ever produce a lot of goalies."  Just wondering if anyone ever heard an explanation why there seems to be an on-going assembly line with Rask, Rinne of the Preds, Tampa's Kari Ramo, Antero Nittimaki, Kari Letonen of Dallas, former Hawk, Antti Niemi all in the league.  Isn't Kiprusoff also Finnish? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Thank you for posting the Rask article, duinne.  His levelheadedness, if there is such a word, came through in his words.  It doesn't seem like he allows himself to ride any emotional highs or lows.  Perhaps, this is the "passivity" islamorada spoke of earlier.  After the read, I thought "Man, does Finland ever produce a lot of goalies."  Just wondering if anyone ever heard an explanation why there seems to be an on-going assembly line with Rask, Rinne of the Preds, Tampa's Kari Ramo, Antero Nittimaki, Kari Letonen of Dallas, former Hawk, Antti Niemi all in the league.  Isn't Kiprusoff also Finnish? 
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario

Yes, Kiprusoff is a Finn as well. I'm not sure what it is; some have speculated that it's because the Finns have superb goalie coaching, but you have to think there's more to it than that. It reminds me of the superiority that the U.S. has in soccer goalies, though that's more easily explainable (standout athletes gravitating to the position, whereas in other countries it's the lesser players, and Americans  growing up more accustomed to using their hands in sports like basketball). Perhaps the best athletes in Finland all want to be goalies?  

Anyway, I agree about Tuukka's attitude. Though he's famous for his milk-crate tantrum, that was an (admittedly funny) aberration. You want a goalie who doesn't get too high or too low, and that appears to be Rask's M.O.

Now if he could just bulk up that skinny frame... ;-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

predictions are like smoke in the air, always changing. Right on, that Kreji's injury was the straw that broke the back, since it coinsided with Gagne coming back. But, more directly, it led to mish mosh lines for the B's especially since Savard was only half of his capability, and players like Bergeron and Recchi were worn out. Just go to a rink and skate full out for 6 or 7 days if you can make it. Most will pack it in after 3 or 4 days since the energy output in skating hard is so demanding. The reason behind rolling 4 lines is to balance and conserve energy, although, at times, CJ seems fails to react to opportunities and just keeps rolling. Do not know how anyone can judge Ramsey as incompetent. Just look at Boston's defense, when limited by injuries, and Dudley's perspective.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

predictions are like smoke in the air, always changing. Right on, that Kreji's injury was the straw that broke the back, since it coinsided with Gagne coming back. But, more directly, it led to mish mosh lines for the B's especially since Savard was only half of his capability, and players like Bergeron and Recchi were worn out. Just go to a rink and skate full out for 6 or 7 days if you can make it. Most will pack it in after 3 or 4 days since the energy output in skating hard is so demanding. The reason behind rolling 4 lines is to balance and conserve energy, although, at times, CJ seems fails to react to opportunities and just keeps rolling. Do not know how anyone can judge Ramsey as incompetent. Just look at Boston's defense, when limited by injuries, and Dudley's perspective.
    Posted by Bogie6

Ramsey's a very good coach. I'll be very interested to see what he does with Atlanta. I went to see the Bruins play the Thrashers last season and was struck by what a Chinese Fire Drill they were on the ice. They always seemed to be going in a thousand different directions - no cohesiveness or structure at all. There was (and is) some talent on that team, and they should have (could have) been a lot better than that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Seeing that this post is about the Hockey News has anyone seen the newest one with Bergeron on the cover. There is a four page article and some good pics. In the team News & Views Boston gets the bigger spread too. This is truly a mag for Bruin fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Seeing that this post is about the Hockey News has anyone seen the newest one with Bergeron on the cover. There is a four page article and some good pics. In the team News & Views Boston gets the bigger spread too. This is truly a mag for Bruin fans.
    Posted by Reilly24

I saw a photo of it on the THN web site (great cover). Is it out now? Did you see it in stores?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11 : I saw a photo of it on the THN web site (great cover). Is it out now? Did you see it in stores?
    Posted by duinne

I am a subscriber (my son really) and we got it in the mail on Friday. Alot of it is about the playoff collapse but it does have a positive spin on it. Lots of Bruins stuff. Any Bruin fan would be glad to get it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11 : I am a subscriber (my son really) and we got it in the mail on Friday. Alot of it is about the playoff collapse but it does have a positive spin on it. Lots of Bruins stuff. Any Bruin fan would be glad to get it. 
    Posted by Reilly24

Thanks! I'll look for it at Barnes and Noble this Saturday. :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: THE HOCKEY NEWS PREDICTIONS FOR 2010-11 : Yes, Kiprusoff is a Finn as well. I'm not sure what it is; some have speculated that it's because the Finns have superb goalie coaching, but you have to think there's more to it than that. It reminds me of the superiority that the U.S. has in soccer goalies, though that's more easily explainable (standout athletes gravitating to the position, whereas in other countries it's the lesser players, and Americans  growing up more accustomed to using their hands in sports like basketball). Perhaps the best athletes in Finland all want to be goalies?   Anyway, I agree about Tuukka's attitude. Though he's famous for his milk-crate tantrum, that was an (admittedly funny) aberration. You want a goalie who doesn't get too high or too low, and that appears to be Rask's M.O. Now if he could just bulk up that skinny frame... ;-)
    Posted by duinne

Although his name may sound Swedish in origin, I just read that the Wild's Niklas Backstrom was born in Helsinki, Finland.  Chalk up another one from the Finnsh Goalie Factory, duinne

Sections
Shortcuts