the QUESTION are the bruins near or far?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

the QUESTION are the bruins near or far?

the flyers smoked new jersey 4-1
    the smoked the habnots 3 shutouts
    they barely squeaked out of a 7 game series with bruins 5 real close games 2 overtimes, 2 blowouts 1 by us 1 by them.
    so do the b's just need  a little more?? do we have enough as is? consider siedenberg did not play a second, savard just barely got in, we lost krejci in game 3 and game was 4 4-3 philly in ot. remember that pass from bergeron to recchi with like 26 secs left to tie it? SO ARE WE CLOSE OR FAR?? WELL?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

Re: the QUESTION are the bruins near or far?

bs need health and they would be playing foer the cup now  so to answer your question the bs are very close

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

In Response to Re: the QUESTION are the bruins near or far?:
    bs need health and they would be playing foer the cup now  so to answer your question the bs are very close
    Posted by bruins8
    Then keep most of our players add all the draft picks to the pot and resign staurt and siedenberg, dump satan though give a kid the shot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

A legit goal scoring winger is essential.  I don't expect the #2 pick to show up and score 35, so in order to go the distance next season, they're going to need to go shopping.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

While I like Seguin...I firmly believe that if the B's get Hall he'll pot 25+ as a rookie.  I think they're close.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

We're getting there, but just need some of our prospects, and draft picks of this year's draft, to get more experience. We'll be a power in the East for the next decade or so.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

While I like Seguin...I firmly believe that if the B's get Hall he'll pot 25+ as a rookie.  I think they're close.
    Posted by TuukkainNet
    i think edmonton will take seguin. and i think hall with savard or bergeron or krejci will be on his way to becoming a legend in boston i think he could get 35 if he played pp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

does everyone not see the young bruins krejci, lucic, wheels, stuart, bergeron, rask, etc, are all growing still...and the painful loses will teach them even more going forward...add more youngsters in colborune, hamill, caron, sodenberg, seguin etc and a solid core of vets chara, recchi, seindberg, ference, savard, etc etc and 2 very capable goalies the bs are on their way to great things to come...i see it...the way we lost the last 3 years will turn out to be a blessing....it doesnt happen overnight....it may not happen next year...it could, but the pieces are coming together nicely and soon there will be no stopping them... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Some good posts and points here. A bit of tinkering is in order. We're close. Ryder gone, Sturm gone, Wheeler back only if cheap, add a legitimate scoring winger, Krecji, Looch & Savvy all healthy all year, an improved D (Seids, Manchuk, Stuart healthy), Hall or Seguin...we could be playing this time next year. Definitely possible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

does everyone not see the young bruins krejci, lucic, wheels, stuart, bergeron, rask, etc, are all growing still...and the painful loses will teach them even more going forward...add more youngsters in colborune, hamill, caron, sodenberg, seguin etc and a solid core of vets chara, recchi, seindberg, ference, savard, etc etc and 2 very capable goalies the bs are on their way to great things to come...i see it...the way we lost the last 3 years will turn out to be a blessing....it doesnt happen overnight....it may not happen next year...it could, but the pieces are coming together nicely and soon there will be no stopping them... 
    Posted by bruins8

I agree with you bruins8, Rask and others are going to get better and better these next few years which in turn will make the Bruins better. Its unfortunate that they blew it 2 years in a row but adding a couple of consistent scorers and they will be one of the teams to beat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

all the bs need is 2 be healthy...the lack of scoring was mainly because of constant injuries to key players...and just dumb luck...they were scoring fine in the playoffs..and wouldve beaten phily just w krejci..not to mention seindberg and sturm and savy and stuy at 50%...sure they could use a 30 goal guy..anyteam could but this team w kids in the system and of course this draft is gonna be a real good hockey team...savy and lucic healthy will make a huge difference....checking lines wont be on krejci so much and it opens up so much more ice for other players other team top d pair would be off krejci line also..plus chemistry very important  savy-lucic-seguin/hall    krejci-ryder-wheeler  bergy rex sturm (someone else until dec) all about chemistry 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bs need to some addition by addition and some addition by subtraction. Need to get rid of Thomas, and Ryder, and add a scoring winger.Posted by pbergeron37

Yes to ^This and it makes them very close. I will add that when PC gets the talent on wing with some youth injection Julien needs to be kept on a short leash he'll have no excuses if he loses a playoff series with healthy players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

all the bs need is 2 be healthy...the lack of scoring was mainly because of constant injuries to key players...and just dumb luck...they were scoring fine in the playoffs..and wouldve beaten phily just w krejci..not to mention seindberg and sturm and savy and stuy at 50%...sure they could use a 30 goal guy..anyteam could but this team w kids in the system and of course this draft is gonna be a real good hockey team...savy and lucic healthy will make a huge difference....checking lines wont be on krejci so much and it opens up so much more ice for other players other team top d pair would be off krejci line also..plus chemistry very important  savy-lucic-seguin/hall    krejci-ryder-wheeler  bergy rex sturm (someone else until dec) all about chemistry 
    Posted by bruins8
    that is dead on bruins8 when we lost our 1st line be it to losing kessel, injuries, whatever that did move all the best defensive players onto the krejci line which shut down wheeler and ryder,  we NEED a first line right wing or we will still struggle to score.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

The Bruins are so close to victory they can almost taste it. In 2008, one of the main reasons Detroit was the favorite was because Sidney Crosby had no experience. HE HAD TO LEARN TO LOSE BEFORE HE COULD BE ABLE TO WIN. And that is what we are looking at with these Bruins. You can blame PC all you want for not getting a scorer. The fact of the matter is, if he doesn't trade for Seidenburg, who knows if the Bruins even make the playoffs. Nobody expected him to get hurt. You can blame ownership if you so choose. The fact of the matter is, the did not go out on the ice and lose that series. You can blame it on Claude Julien if you want. The fact of the matter is, he pushed the boys as hard as they let him and the players let complacency set in after game 3. The Bruins have learned over the last three years of playoff exits and we must remember that they were one goal, one hit, one executed line change away from advancing for the first time in 18 years. Now we know the Bruins have what it takes and the core is set to have more playoff runs and a parade and a paddle boat ride on the Charles River is just out over the horizon and is within reach. So let's not worry about the bad, and be happy with the good. Settle down in October with your favorite Bruins paraphanelia and prepare for a solid 3-5 years of great Bruins hockey.Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

The Bruins are so close to victory they can almost taste it. In 2008, one of the main reasons Detroit was the favorite was because Sidney Crosby had no experience. HE HAD TO LEARN TO LOSE BEFORE HE COULD BE ABLE TO WIN. And that is what we are looking at with these Bruins. You can blame PC all you want for not getting a scorer. The fact of the matter is, if he doesn't trade for Seidenburg, who knows if the Bruins even make the playoffs. Nobody expected him to get hurt. You can blame ownership if you so choose. The fact of the matter is, the did not go out on the ice and lose that series. You can blame it on Claude Julien if you want. The fact of the matter is, he pushed the boys as hard as they let him and the players let complacency set in after game 3. The Bruins have learned over the last three years of playoff exits and we must remember that they were one goal, one hit, one executed line change away from advancing for the first time in 18 years. Now we know the Bruins have what it takes and the core is set to have more playoff runs and a parade and a paddle boat ride on the Charles River is just out over the horizon and is within reach. So let's not worry about the bad, and be happy with the good. Settle down in October with your favorite Bruins paraphanelia and prepare for a solid 3-5 years of great Bruins hockey.
    Posted by BlackandGold24

Please explain what the bruins learned this season agian? They loss to the habs in game 7 in 08, 09 thump the cains in game one and lose the series to an inferior team in game 7, and this season they are complacent all regular season and lose a series after being up 3 games to none and oh yea lose game 7 after taking a 3-0 lead.

Yup looks like they learned alot from the past seasons........

also claude will never learn you can't play not to lose as he preaches you need to play to win somehting he will never grasp

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

So close/near. One big tweak, a rook or a vet career year up front. Solid D, if Sedenberg resigns and they keep Stuart and Boychuck. Goal is strong. Hall or Seguin, hopefully will be they key.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

It's hard to stay healthy when you throw bodies in front of every shot... play more offense and this won't happen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

for the bruins to be near they need some young guys to step up, I think they have a good blend of veterans/young guys on the team.

Because Chiarelli is a conservative GM, the most likely scenario this summer is that they will make no impact type moves, sign most of their own UFA/RFA's and draft hall or seguin.  

That alone should move them up from a 6 seed to a home seed in the playoffs next season.

not far, but not close either.  middle of the pack still.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

As a fairly objective voice, I'd say the Bruins aren't all too close yet.  The lack of scoring combined with the injuries during both the season and the playoffs showed that this team/organization does not have the depth to overcome either of them.  They need more scoring and they need more depth all around.  The high draft picks they have may help in the coming couple of seasons, but it would be foolish to think that an 18 year-old or two will be the "answer" or "savior" to this team in just a season or two.  Most 18 year-olds aren't ready either physically or mentally for the rigors of an entire NHL season and patience will be the operative word over the next two or three seasons till these guys settle in and develop.  Also, there is the chance that there might be some residual organization fall out to having collapsed in such dubious fashion that it could, possibly, set the club back some in terms of confidence and/or development.  One thought that keeps recurring to me is how Bruins fans have such confidence in Bergeron, but, perhaps, fail to recall his concussion issue.  One or two more serious hits and this guy's career could be done.  That might be a real tough thing to recover from should it occur.

My thought earlier this year was that the Bruins won't be a serious Cup contender till at least 2013 or 2014 if all goes well for the club (draft picks mature, they get the core more stablized, etc.) and I stand by that assessment.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

The B's aren't close! Unfortunately.  The stars aligned this year in the playoffs and they couldn't close a 3 -0 series lead (still makes me sick).

Lets face it, next year the Penguins and Capitals will be back and more determined than ever. You throw in the Fyers, Habs, Sabres and Sens as teams that will be fighting for the playoffs and the Bruins will agains be a lower seed.

Its just the way it is, they had their chance and messed it up big time.

I think in a couple years, when Hall or Seguin mature to NHL capable levels, the Bruins might start being a consistent top tier force for years like NJ, Red Wings, Pens, Blackhawks....etc..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Objectively; I think the Bruins have a lot of potential to join the elite teams but you have to temper that with some facts.

1.  Bruins barely made the playoffs this year and were offensively challenged the entire year, even when Savard, Lucic, Sturm and Krecji were in the lineup.  Bergeron, one of my favorite Bruins, pretty much was a non-factor in the playoffs from what I saw.  Pronger outplayed Chara big time in the Flyer series playing at least as much if not more minutes (Flyers basically went with 4 defenceman).
    2. Rask was unbelievable in many games, probably hit a wall in the Flyer series.  Can he repeat next year?  I think he can, but they'll need that to be sure.
    3. Offensively challenged and starting next year WITHOUT their top scorer (Sturm), Krecji coming off of wrist surgery, Chara coming off of 'pinky' surgery, Lucic coming back from high-ankle sprain, Savard coming off of another concussion, Stuart coming off of serious injury and no significant offensive acquisition as of yet.
    4. #1 pick will be great and there's a number of young players waiting to make the big team, but Providence didn't have a great season and you can't expect a rookie(s) to become your offensive catalyst in their 1st year.

I think the Bruins have to be better then they showed last year and you can't base next season on what they did in the playoffs.  They stars aligned well for them.  They were a good match for a mediocre Buffalo team that rode Miller's coattails. Yes, they were up 3-0 on the Flyers, but they were fortunate to be win at least 1 of those games (if not two).  When it came to crunch time they couldn't match Flyers grit and intensity.

You look at the Black Hawks, for example, and the Bruins have no one that matches up to their core i.e. Duncan, Toews and Kane.  Flyers top 6 forwards are signficantly better then the Bruins, Washington will back with their team in tact and some very good younger players joining the big team.  Pittsburg will be back.
    I think Carolina will return to an impact team if Staal and Ward stay healthy.

PC has a lot of cards to play.  If the Bruins are to be a contender I think he needs to make some bold moves (perhaps package some of the draft picks, not the #2 pick, add a player(s) to acquire some missing pieces).

If the Bruins go thru the draft, make their selections, but not try and upgrade their top-6 forwards for next year, I think they will continue to be Tier 2 IMHO.

They have a lot of potential in the coming 2-3 years with their picks.  Lets see how CJ handles the team next year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The Bs did ok in the playoffs, they showed more consistency than the regular season, but had the same consistency when it came to injuries.
    If this team is gonna be(near), they need better cinsistency thruout the regular season that follows them in to the playoffs, Too many underacheivers this year in both the reg and playoffs. There (far) IMO

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

the bs were wout #2 dman #1 center a top 6 forward and their top center was 50% and top 4 dman was 50%  chara had a broken thumb and sobkata needed surgery on shoulder...yet they were in 2nd rd losing game 7 by 1 goal...this team is very close

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

The B's aren't close! Unfortunately.  The stars aligned this year in the playoffs and they couldn't close a 3 -0 series lead (still makes me sick). Lets face it, next year the Penguins and Capitals will be back and more determined than ever. You throw in the Fyers, Habs, Sabres and Sens as teams that will be fighting for the playoffs and the Bruins will agains be a lower seed. Its just the way it is, they had their chance and messed it up big time. I think in a couple years, when Hall or Seguin mature to NHL capable levels, the Bruins might start being a consistent top tier force for years like NJ, Red Wings, Pens, Blackhawks....etc..
    Posted by bluefox70

bluefox you do know if krejci alone was playing the bruins would be playing chi tonight in game 3...not to mention if savard, stuart were more than 50% or seindberg and sturm were in there...the phily series would have ended in 4 or 5 for sure...when healthy the bruins are the team to beat in the east  way more balance than anyone..in fact only wsh can match the bs top 3 lines when healthy..this yr they were constantly hurt..key players.losing the whole savard line for more than half the season allowed opponents to put their best dpair and checking line on the krejci line...this upcoming year that wont beable to happen therefor you will see the reemergence of 46-73-26  add that to 91-17-and hall/seguin  and 37-28-16 and thats 3 very good lines

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"They're close if they can stay healthy." = "They're far."

Staying healthy isn't really the point.  Guys will go down all year every year and twice as quickly in the playoffs.  You have to have the depth to compensate.  The Bruins have depth coming if Chiarelli doesn't do anything stupid like trade three prospects for a mid-level winger who "will score more goals than ever before playing with Savard!"  'Cause that didn't work for Ryder, and it didn't work for Sturm, and it didn't work for Satan....  They have a shot at creating a critical mass here where there's some really competitive churn under the top guys.  Savard, Krejci, Bergeron, Chara, Lucic, Rask and Hall/Seguin are all pretty secure (for next year at least) as key players.  Wideman (yeah yeah, but you and I both know he's not going anywhere) and Seidenberg (assuming he signs) are probably safe bets.  Beyond that, there's a mix of guys who need to prove themselves for a whole variety of reasons.  Vets like Ryder, Sturm, Satan, Thornton, Ference, Begin, even Recchi need to prove they still have something to offer a winning team - not just any team, but a team with aspirations.  Young guys like Wheeler and Sobotka, Hunwick and Boychuk and Stuart all need to show progress because the potential card is going to run out quickly at the first sign of regression.  Prospects need to be hungry and push for pro spots.

Before I'll really feel like they're close, they need to face tough choices about who to keep in Boston.  I need to see them send Colborne back to the A because that's the best path for his development even though he outplayed Wheeler and Ryder in camp.  I need to see them manage the decision to send either Alexandrov or McIlrath down even though both of them outplayed everyone but Chara.  That will convince me that there is NHL ready talent knocking at the door and looking for an injury to give them an opportunity.  Until that happens, part of me refuses to believe Colborne or Sauve or Caron is really a viable option. As fans, we tend to want to see the kids play because we know the warts on the vets.  That's just the romance of potential.  Right now, the Bruins are all flowers and chocolates and Meg Ryan movies with potential - but like most romance, that just leads to lots of fancy talk and very little real action.

Sections
Shortcuts