the QUESTION are the bruins near or far?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: the QUESTION are the bruins near or far?

My point to all this is. If wheeler, ryder, hunwick had at least shown a better consistency in the playoffs like wideman did compared to the regular season, losing krecji and  having an injury prone up D might not of been so noticable. Its all hindsight but one could argue that, the depth the Bs had last year wasnt there this year either, its pretty sad when management had no faith in any of the callups who sat and watched in pain like we did lol.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: the QUESTION are the bruins near or far?:
    My point to all this is. If wheeler, ryder, hunwick had at least shown a better consistency in the playoffs like wideman did compared to the regular season, losing krecji and  having an injury prone up D might not of been so noticable. Its all hindsight but one could argue that, the depth the Bs had last year wasnt there this year either, its pretty sad when management had no faith in any of the callups who sat and watched in pain like we did lol.
    Posted by wallydouglas

I thought Ryder and Wheeler were very consistent.  The problem was that they were consistently terrible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Objectively; I think the Bruins have a lot of potential to join the elite teams but you have to temper that with some facts. 1.  Bruins barely made the playoffs this year and were offensively challenged the entire year, even when Savard, Lucic, Sturm and Krecji were in the lineup.  Bergeron, one of my favorite Bruins, pretty much was a non-factor in the playoffs from what I saw.  Pronger outplayed Chara big time in the Flyer series playing at least as much if not more minutes (Flyers basically went with 4 defenceman). 2. Rask was unbelievable in many games, probably hit a wall in the Flyer series.  Can he repeat next year?  I think he can, but they'll need that to be sure. 3. Offensively challenged and starting next year WITHOUT their top scorer (Sturm), Krecji coming off of wrist surgery, Chara coming off of 'pinky' surgery, Lucic coming back from high-ankle sprain, Savard coming off of another concussion, Stuart coming off of serious injury and no significant offensive acquisition as of yet. 4. #1 pick will be great and there's a number of young players waiting to make the big team, but Providence didn't have a great season and you can't expect a rookie(s) to become your offensive catalyst in their 1st year. I think the Bruins have to be better then they showed last year and you can't base next season on what they did in the playoffs.  They stars aligned well for them.  They were a good match for a mediocre Buffalo team that rode Miller's coattails. Yes, they were up 3-0 on the Flyers, but they were fortunate to be win at least 1 of those games (if not two).  When it came to crunch time they couldn't match Flyers grit and intensity. You look at the Black Hawks, for example, and the Bruins have no one that matches up to their core i.e. Duncan, Toews and Kane.  Flyers top 6 forwards are signficantly better then the Bruins, Washington will back with their team in tact and some very good younger players joining the big team.  Pittsburg will be back. I think Carolina will return to an impact team if Staal and Ward stay healthy. PC has a lot of cards to play.  If the Bruins are to be a contender I think he needs to make some bold moves (perhaps package some of the draft picks, not the #2 pick, add a player(s) to acquire some missing pieces). If the Bruins go thru the draft, make their selections, but not try and upgrade their top-6 forwards for next year, I think they will continue to be Tier 2 IMHO. They have a lot of potential in the coming 2-3 years with their picks.  Lets see how CJ handles the team next year.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

enjoy reading all of the posts on this thread, and find myself agreeing with about everyone.  One minute I think we're close, the next I don't.  Base on what we've seen over the last year and a half, I think "close' might be a little optimistic.  Not a big believer, in the "picks" bringing us over the hump next year, and hope expectation is reasonable.  Hall/Seguin should really break out in year 2 or 3.
    Reasonable to believe though, even with the current roster, this team should be better next year in the regular season.  Who know's when it comes to the playoffs.  For whatever reason, a lot of Bruins had an off year.  With a few intelligent tweaks, and a little luck(assuming we haven't used up too much regarding our playoff opponents over the last 2 years), the B's could go a little deeper.
    A little concerned about long term, as the core could be used up, by the time our youth hits full stride.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Close.

The Bruins need two and half things.
    1) A good scoring winger.
    2) A team a-hole who can tell the locker room what's up and where to pull their heads from and still be respected by his teammates.
    2.5) Timely health.

Bruins were a better team than the Flyers, with zero confidence, and inopportune health problems.

In Response to the QUESTION are the bruins near or far?:
    the flyers smoked new jersey 4-1 the smoked the habnots 3 shutouts they barely squeaked out of a 7 game series with bruins 5 real close games 2 overtimes, 2 blowouts 1 by us 1 by them. so do the b's just need  a little more?? do we have enough as is? consider siedenberg did not play a second, savard just barely got in, we lost krejci in game 3 and game was 4 4-3 philly in ot. remember that pass from bergeron to recchi with like 26 secs left to tie it? SO ARE WE CLOSE OR FAR?? WELL?
    Posted by paulbking

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

I think they're close.
    Am I the only one who thinks Game 7, 3-0, tactics should have been "Let's get more goals" instead of 'let's protect our lead'? It seems every time they try to do that, they get smoked.
    It's behind us. Sorry for the sour grapes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

health and seguin or hall to become kessel and this team has a real chance..anything or anyone else is just gravy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

health and seguin or hall to become kessel and this team has a real chance..anything or anyone else is just gravy...
    Posted by bruins8

I'd rather they be themselves . No thankyou to being Kessel .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

cmon ok let me remove kessel and say let them bang in 36 then we are onto something

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

cmon ok let me remove kessel and say let them bang in 36 then we are onto something
    Posted by bruins8

let's say put them in the top 6 and have them play a good two way game and see what the goal totals are at the end of the year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

hall/seguin-savard-lucic   ryder-krejci-wheeler   recchi-bergeron-sturm  thornton-sobokta-anyone     chara-seinendberg  wideman-boychuk  stuart-ference  rask-thomas   if healthy will be top 3 in east and could win stanley cup....  the reemrgence of a savard line  takes opp checking line and top d pairs away from krejci line thus resulting in much better scoring chances..very good balance if this is the team..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

hall/seguin-savard-lucic   ryder-krejci-wheeler   recchi-bergeron-sturm  thornton-sobokta-anyone     chara-seinendberg  wideman-boychuk  stuart-ference  rask-thomas   if healthy will be top 3 in east and could win stanley cup....  the reemrgence of a savard line  takes opp checking line and top d pairs away from krejci line thus resulting in much better scoring chances..very good balance if this is the team..
    Posted by bruins8

i agree b's..but hall and lucic both r lft wings also don't want seguin on 1st line wing. also if sturm is out till nov or dec what then ? we need a right wing and a left wing and they have to be top end players. you look at phillys wings the blackhawks/  there loaded i think edmonton will take seguin and hall fills one hole. but we still need someone on savards right. what do you think?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

//I think the Bruins have to be better then they showed last year and you can't base next season on what they did in the playoffs.  They stars aligned well for them.  They were a good match for a mediocre Buffalo team that rode Miller's coattails. Yes, they were up 3-0 on the Flyers, but they were fortunate to be win at least 1 of those games (if not two)When it came to crunch time they couldn't match Flyers grit and intensity./

Disagree with the Bs being fortunate as in "they caught the Flyers knapping" sounds like an "IPOT" comment "the Bruins only win when other teams don't come to play" that's beneath you Book. You must have missed game 1 when the Bruins came out flying in the OT and dominated. The rest of the series addition then subtraction at the same time. The series should have been won in game 4 but Chara made a lazy play a crucial mistake in OT.

//You look at the Black Hawks, for example, and the Bruins have no one that matches up to their core i.e. Duncan, Toews and Kane.  Flyers top 6 forwards are signficantly better then the Bruins, Washington will back with their team in tact and some very good younger players joining the big team.  Pittsburg will be back.I think Carolina will return to an impact team if Staal and Ward stay healthy./

In order for PC to build teams like Wash., Pitt., Flyers and the Hawks you have to get top 5 picks 3 to 4 years in a row maybe even more to get those skilled players I for one would not like finishing last that many years in a row.

Can't change this but if the Bs were 100% healthy and the Flyers were a 100% healthy Defense and goaltending would have won the series Boston's is better. That is however a coulda would shoulda and couldn't find out unless the Bruins and Philly meet in the playoffs the next couple of years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

pretty close, they need some speed and scoring on wing to play with our fairly strong centers. staying healthy is always key but that's hard to plan.

they need more leadership from the office and in the locker room.

they need to ship some dead weight in people that are either over paid or under perform. the bruins right now have too much skill "in the bush" and not enough "in the hand" so to speak. *looks in direction of wheeler and ryder,

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

i believe with health they are very close if not there already! that being said who knows really....last june who wouldve predicted mtl-phi east final or even when playoffs began...all bs can do is position themselves as best as possible, play hard, and hope to get lucky...somthings are out of control...as we seen this season with krejci and in 2004 with joe t going down in a meanigless late season game vs wsh 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

i believe with health they are very close if not there already! that being said who knows really....last june who wouldve predicted mtl-phi east final or even when playoffs began...all bs can do is position themselves as best as possible, play hard, and hope to get lucky...somthings are out of control...as we seen this season with krejci and in 2004 with joe t going down in a meanigless late season game vs wsh 
    Posted by bruins8

See, this is what I don't want.  The attitude of let's be close and hope we get a bounce or two.  That sums up where the B's are now.  Their "A" game is competitive.  The overall skill level needs to increase (3rd and 4th lines).   Chia said in his post-mortem that there was more blood to be gotten from the stone.  You need the  stone to be oozing all the time, and gushing when you crank it up.  That's how Chicago is now.  Philly is struggling to keep up for 60 min.  B's struggled to keep up to Philly for 60 min.  We have a ways to go to be a legit top 4.   This year's draft sets us up well for the next decade.  I see good things in the future.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

IT HAS TO BE AND LETS HOPE AS NOONE CAN PREDICT INJURIES

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

Funny question...no Cup since 1972...38 years...no closer than 1973....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

only 1 team wins, the bruins are going to be if healthy one of the top 5 teams in the nhl...that guarentees nothing in the playoffs..injuries..luck, play a huge huge part...sometimes not fair but all we can do is hope they stay healthy and get some luck next spring..atleast they are in better position than alot of teams