The real problem with Juliens system

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

The real problem with Juliens system

The center always has to be the third man back and can't attack the net. Why is that a problem you ask? Because Savard, Krejci, and Bergeron are the 3 most talented forwards on the team. They should be attacking the net and look to pass or shoot for goal scoring opportunities. Instead the other teams defensemen focus on keeping the B's wingers on the outside and give the B's less quality shots knowing the center for the B's is already going towards his own net after a shot. Julien only opens it up when the B's are down and the game is decided.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Re: The real problem with Juliens system

You are 100% correct - and the sad truth is that it won't change as long as he remains in Boston...I'm already concerned about how his overly defensive and conservative demands may suffocate the natural talents of players like Hall or Seguin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

Last year Juliens system proves it works they did score 274 goals and allowed 190 against +84. Not just an excuse but injuries played a large roll on this years team. Juliens system also requires heart and effort which was lacking in a big way this year. I would put more blame on the players than Julien and his system, he is not the 1 one the ice playing the game its the players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

lucicfan, don't try to use logic to argue against stupidity, it only makes it worse

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Heart and effort, half the team played injured, can't get any more heart than that. Effort was taken away, with system, players had to stay within it and the rest of the players could not make up for lost players and new defined roles and lines.

Loss of speed in Kess, hurt more than people will admit, but cj's rolling the 4th line was just sheer stupidity. Immediately after a goal putting them out, down in the third, he puts them out, not enough scoring lets promote them to the first line, not just this year but last year too. You take a 4th line player and play him on the 1st line and he is not good enough to bring back the next year. Our top line could have been Begin Pail and pj, had pc signed him.WOW

Having the best d in the NHL is something to want and scream for but to make it the only quality of your team, to sacrifice any offence just so it can be known that your system is the best defensive in the league is just arrogant stupidity. Cj's arrogance screamed again when he promoted Pail to top line, then brought Whit in for the playoffs, D at all costs, above all else. That else happened and we suffered an uninspired season with a fold in the playoffs.

No cj doesn't play but he controls the players and who plays and that was limited by injuries, yes, but good coaches get past it and he did not do that. his grade for this season is an utter failure. He better learn by his mistakes, better than his track record or our next 5 years with him are going to be insufferable.

He has figured the d, he has to fire the pp and O guy(Ward) and get that to the next level to compete at the same level as the D. This draft will help but he needs to understand that you play your best players more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

GOAT Why did it work last year?? Cause we rolled 4 lines and wore down other teams and basically had 3 scoring lines and that can be very hard to contain. Confidence was a major issue with this team this year, they were doing to much thinking instead of just reacting. last year they could be down by 2 going into the 3rd period and come back and win. this year if they were down by 2 they were usually lifeless. I did not expect them to win the Cup this year but I did expect them to finish off Philly. Julien is definately part of the blame he can be stubborn and overly defensive but that is his structure. The guy I blame more is Mr. Ward he works the O.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Not very often were they down going into the 3rd last year, their record was off the charts last year when leading and they did a lot of that.

When do you roll 4 lines, when the game is under control or out of control. That did not happen this year most games won and lost were of the 1 goal variety. Not many teams have their 4th line playing 10 or mins a game, nor are they the best players on your pk. If you want to use them on the pk, then your top line should get the shift after the pk not your 4th line, which cj did all year long.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: The real problem with Juliens system:
    GOAT Why did it work last year?? Cause we rolled 4 lines and wore down other teams and basically had 3 scoring lines and that can be very hard to contain. Confidence was a major issue with this team this year, they were doing to much thinking instead of just reacting. last year they could be down by 2 going into the 3rd period and come back and win. this year if they were down by 2 they were usually lifeless. I did not expect them to win the Cup this year but I did expect them to finish off Philly. Julien is definately part of the blame he can be stubborn and overly defensive but that is his structure. The guy I blame more is Mr. Ward he works the O.
    Posted by lucicfan

It didn't "work last year"  unless losing to Carolina in rd 2 is how you judge success. The canes came with the 2 man forecheck, and that was that.
    You know like Philly did. And he did the same thing in NJ, which is why he was gone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

It did't seem to be a problem for our offense last year or in the first period vs the Flyers.  Every system can work as long as everyone buys into it and executes it well!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

IS JULIEN

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: The real problem with Juliens system:
    It did't seem to be a problem for our offense last year or in the first period vs the Flyers.  Every system can work as long as everyone buys into it and executes it well!!
    Posted by lucaooo

It became a problem last year, Cj thought there was a switch that could be turned on and off to go from O to d to O, it worked for a good part of season but the other teams adjusted and cj was unable to adapt to them adapting, he still hasn't figured it out.

The Phi coach called a time out in  7th game when down by 3 and reminded them what their game plan was and Bos weaknesses and to get to exploiting it. He then did an interview between periods and said we are going to win this game.

Cj just went into his sputtering and lip quivering because the game once again became too difficile for him to understand. We had a 3 goal lead and he went defensive to see how he could throw it away.
    He kept Rask in for all 4 losses, Rask did not have what he had against Buf and should have had a night off, it sure as he** has worked for Mon and Halak and the change should have been made a lot sooner. Rask won game 3 and went in the tank and needed a break to get his head back in it, his ave was 3.59 and save % was .874. Not too many series going to be won that way. Cj was too busy quivering and missed the last half of the series.

Both series he was out coached, Lav whined to the refs every time he was upset and the next thing you know what he was asking for was called. Cj needed to point out that every time they went near Prong he was holding and interfering, Mon already has and he has more mins in 3 games than the previous 12 of the playoffs, Bos had 1 PP with Prong off, Mon already has 4. Cj hasn't mastered the whine to get a call , maybe he gave up when we couldn't score on them.

Doesn't matter he was outcoached by a guy who got his break here, his career is better than what we have seen here since he left.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

Juliens system would work if his three best offensive players were wingers but there not. He has'nt adjusted to suit his team. Who would you rather have trying to score Paille, Thornton, Wheeler, Satan(who could'nt even get a deal from the team he helped win a championship, although he he did play well for the B's considering it was a hope and prayer) or Savard, Bergeron, Krejci?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

And to answer lucicfan it worked that year because the team had a very good goal scorer named Kessel who played the wing. Thanks for proving my point. And your numbers are off but I will let that slide, get your facts straight for future posts.   
    z - Boston 8253191011629-6-624-13-4274196+788-2-0Won 1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

And Kordic, I bet Roman Hamrlik is wishing he was after that beatdown by Hartnell. A typical frog.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The B's weren't that good last year.  Despite winning the conference, they played pretty much with the consistency as this year, post Christmas 08.  When that's understood, it pretty much boils down to the fact that the team is just slightly better than the league average, or they have strategic problems.  We can't logically forget injury, as that's a reason, but not "the" reason.  When the D became more involved in the overall game(mid March-early May) the team performed to expectation.  Not outstanding, but to expectation.  Remember, it's been a long time, since this team faced an elite team in the playoffs.  Why did that change after getting a 2 game lead on Philly? 
    What this poster feels is obvious, is that Julians leadership, and tactical abilities need to be scrutinized as much as anything else.  Throwing the players, or the assistants under a bus, just seems illogical to me.  There's plenty of blame to go around.  If the coach stays, I hope he understands his game has to change a bit too. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

When two Stanley Cup winning GMs (Bob Gainey and Lou Lam) have previously given Julien and his systems their version of a pink slip, one has to wonder, "why?" 

I think that we just saw why.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

last year,last year,last year....geez take a look at last year in the whole....the bruins were 40-15 at 1 point & then didnt play 500 hockey the rest of the year....it was just like game 7....come out flying, score 3 goals & then the flyers score 1...waalaa lets play on our heels & let them take it to us...thats JC,s system...circle the wagons & back in on the goalie....always resorts to that in a blink of any kind of adversity....the sharks came into boston last year feb 12,the bruins were the top of the league & the sharks blew boston out!....from then on they were not very good....way to up & down for me to say JC is a good coach

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Couple of things that definitely frustrate me is the Bruins get a draw in the offensive zone Julien throws the 4th line over the boards BRILLIANT!

Tied, down a goal or up 1 goal within 5minutes of the end of any period Julien has the 4th line out there freakin drives me crazy! PC fails in his evaluation of Claude to this degree.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Can someone name another coach who would have seriously put Byron Bitz on the first line. That just shows what he believes are valuable traits in a hockey player. The man is defensive to a fault and is so set in his ways that he won't ever change. It doesn't work, it never has... that's not opinoin - it's a fact.
    Philly had aggression and emotion on their side...we had caution and the "system" on our side. Get it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I get it...

What coach would put Whitfield in for Krejci when he had the choice of Marchand or Hamill ?

This guy seems rather unidimensional on his emphasis about defense...  

The real irony is that the Bruins still had real trouble holding onto a lead all season as they again showed in Game #7 against Philly...

I am not sure that Claude sees the real value for offensive players, agitators or aggressors... 

Look at the Blackhawks this year...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kordic. Show Kordic's posts

First: 12/28/2009
    Last: 5/21/2010

And Kordic, I bet Roman Hamrlik is wishing he was after that beatdown by Hartnell. A typical frog. 

Hamrlik is czech,supertard...
    and yeah he take one beating for the team...
    unlike the B's... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

Kordic, I don't care where he was born if he's on the Canadiens he's a frog and the Canadiens can meet the B's on the golf course in a week. I should of called him a turtle like the rest of past and present Canadiens, Komisarek, O'Byrne, Lapierre, and Latendresse. You must be proud of seeing your teams players kiss other teams feet. I guess it's better than the groin region their probably going for.    

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

chef you had 1 statement in there that probably says it all "they couldnt impose there will on philly" why? for the first 15 mins they were....when philly scored that 1 goal i can hear JC,s words verbatum "ok boys,lets settle back, play good sound defensive hockey,were still up by 2, our chances will come to us" ......as my boy wensink said "the flyers played with aggression & emotion" the bruins played afraid to let up the next goal, not score it....sorry my man that is the coach....the b,s chances came & gone for 2010 & bottomline it stinks!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Julien's system requires speedy wingers or ones who can hold the puck against the boards well. We had barely of those type of players last year and loss of kessel hurt.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

The OP has a good point. The talent on this team is at pivot and the guys with the scoring chances are on the wings. That equals little offense. I think the system works but the personnel /talent is wrong. This system is for a team strong at wing. The Bruins did well in scoring chances and shots this past season but they couldn't score coz the wings were so weak in ability.

Even without injuries they need a major boost of talent on the wings if they are to succeed with this system.

Sections
Shortcuts