The Top 6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Re: The Top 6

Werent the B's also the worst ranked offense in the league, or at least right near the bottom?

When you play the trap of course your defensive #'s are going to rank high....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I like what Bhanlon's got:

Chara Boychuk

Ference Seidenberg

Stuart Hunwick

Pros:
    - Balanced; each pairing has at least one tough as nails defender and a guy who can move the puck
    - Allows Julien to balance ice time among his d and keep a well rested top 6
    - Each line is capable of producing offense
    - With the possible exception of Hunwick, all of the top 6 are physically strong players (compared to other NHLers)

Cons:
    - No real star tandem, though having Chara out there helps
    - Real susceptible to injury; one injury and the whole thing falls apart, unless the injury is to Hunwick; could be hard to develop chemistry
    - Boychuk is not a number 2; he might be able to play that role with Chara, but he isn't a top-2 guy in the NHL (yet)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: The Top 6:
    What is this, Name that Tune?  Is Jim Perry lurking? The problem with a Boychuk/Hunwick pairing would be that neither of them could read a Large Print copy of Curious George and the Man with the Yellow Hat, though Boychuk could probably hit it into next week. The Bruins have three veteran D - Chara, Seidenberg, Ference. (Stuart is sort of a veteran, but not really, because he still gets credit for "potential" as in "he has offensive potential that hasn't been tapped yet".)  Chara is a first-pairing vet.  Seidenberg is a second pairing vet.  Ference is a third-pairing vet. The Bruins have three developing D - Stuart, Boychuk, Hunwick.  Unlike the vets, you don't know what line these three should end up on yet - that's part of the point.  Stuart is the most polished and still could be a top shutdown guy.  Boychuk has the best tool physically, but...toolbox?  Hunwick has shown signs that he's more than what he usually seems, but not as often as you'd want.  The trick is to pair these guys off to get the most out of them because the vets should slot based on track record.  That means I wouldn't put Seidenberg with Chara on a regular basis. Ultimately, I can live with this D, but the key for me is Stuart.  If he plays like a top 3/4 D, the group is fine.  If he plays like a 4/5, there could be trouble.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Really liked this approach to looking at the B's defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Werent the B's also the worst ranked offense in the league, or at least right near the bottom? When you play the trap of course your defensive #'s are going to rank high....
    Posted by yep123

Correct!  Saved time in typing!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Top 2 are excellent -
    Stuart-Boychuk, good-
    Ference - Hunwick - Trouble ... get rid of Hunwick who is terrible and soft, not a good combo. Let lone wolf play with Ference, that should be acceptable for the # 3 pairing.

Hey Drewski, can you give the pacifism and the whole new style of hockey crap a break already? Ghandi ain't winning $$hit in the NHL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhanlon156. Show bhanlon156's posts

5 teams that have a better "six": Philly: Pronger, Timmonen, Carle, Coburn, Mezaros, O'Donnell/Walker Chicago: Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjalmarsson, Scott, Boynton Calgary: Bouwmeister, Regher, Giordano, White, Sarich, Pardy Detroit: Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Ericsson, Kronwall, Kindl Vancouver: Hamhuis, Ballard, Edler, Ehrhoff, Bieksa, Salo Not exhaustive by any means.  Fewer question marks about each of these groups, though, with the possible exception of Calgary.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I would add:
    Nashville: Weber, Suter, Parent, Grebeshkov, Bouillon, Klein
    Pittsburgh: Letang, Orpik, Martin, Michalek, McKee, Goligoski
    Possibly also:
    Anaheim
    St. Louis
    San Jose

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The D is fine.

Chara was number 2 in mins many a game to Wideman and he needs to up his time to tops in league, from 6th in time per game in 2009 to 12th last year with almost a min less. Give the big man big mins.

Seid is paid as # 2  play him like it.

Boych was #10 in playoffs, #2 for Bos, the time when players step it up if they can and it looks like Boych can.

Stuart plays physical and physical while injured, has a liking for pain me thinks.

Ference will never score 20 but is solid, if not injured and
    Hunwick played more this year if he can just get his O going.

The 6 are fine and the O plays defensive and if the O can get something going Offensively then the D will also contribute more. A slick skating D would be nice, but there is no money.

As long as Cj doesn't always throw out the third pairing with the 4th line like he seemed to do last year with McQ and it seemed when pressed they did not have proper support. Opp knows to look for weaknesses because Cj does not give up many opportunities other than through his 4th line and their minutes. Players will play their games as long as the coach has them in it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Top 2 are excellent - Stuart-Boychuk, good- Ference - Hunwick - Trouble ... get rid of Hunwick who is terrible and soft, not a good combo. Let lone wolf play with Ference, that should be acceptable for the # 3 pairing. Hey Drewski, can you give the pacifism and the whole new style of hockey crap a break already? Ghandi ain't winning $$hit in the NHL.
    Posted by JWensink

Neither is Anderson Silva

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Top 2 are excellent - Stuart-Boychuk, good- Ference - Hunwick - Trouble ... get rid of Hunwick who is terrible and soft, not a good combo. Let lone wolf play with Ference, that should be acceptable for the # 3 pairing. Hey Drewski, can you give the pacifism and the whole new style of hockey crap a break already? Ghandi ain't winning $$hit in the NHL.
    Posted by JWensink

Im not saying that I dont enjoy a good hockey fight.  Or that S. Thornton should be off this team.

Im just saying that not every player on your team has to be willing to throw down.  You have your bodyguards (worht about 900K/yr), and you have your skill guys (worth 5-7M/yr).  I dont like the thinking that the 900K/yr guys are more valuable than the 5-7M/yr guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm really glad that this is all baloney talk and spuious content. Chara is not a no 1 defenseman. Almost half of the D's from BB's list are better . Chara is big and has a long stick, but he does get beat, and is not quick to recover. Seidenberg is there to cover up and provide a smoother breakout. Stuart should be a no 3/4, but, for whatever reasons he is still not stepping up his game and is a 5/6 pairing. Boychuck is also a 5/6 pairing, as is Ference, and Ference is just not big enough or fast enough. Hunwick has the speed, and hopefully will have added some confidence to level his game and make him a 3/4 pairing. CJ's system tries to fill all the holes with forwards, which limits the offensive capabilities, but does help reduce goals against. Unfortunately, CJ has signed an extension, and Houde et all are followers not leaders. The offensive talent is there if the game plan can measure up, and the defense improved in speed and breakout passing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: The Top 6 : Im not saying that I dont enjoy a good hockey fight.  Or that S. Thornton should be off this team. Im just saying that not every player on your team has to be willing to throw down.  You have your bodyguards (worht about 900K/yr), and you have your skill guys (worth 5-7M/yr).  I dont like the thinking that the 900K/yr guys are more valuable than the 5-7M/yr guys.
    Posted by Drewski5

I wouldn't put players into groups of "skill" or "bodyguards". You don't need to be a goon to be tough mentally and physically. Eventually it will always come down to which team is able to impose it's will on the other, and talent alone won't ever be enough. You can fight and compete without ever throwing a punch, there's a ton of cliches that are fitting. They're all pretty accurate. I think you might be missing the point, and seem to always equate physical play with fighting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

As the top 6 stands right now, I like the idea of Chara Boychuk, Seids Ference, Stuart Hunwick to spread out the talent. Idealy though, I would like to upgrade the top 6. When you upgrade something on a team, unless its a free agent signing you are downgrading another area. I think the Bs could really use a number 3 guy, so Seids, Chara, Stuart, and that guy could log about 48 minutes between them (22-26 each). I would look to downgrade the backup goalie position (salary purposes) and the collection of picks and prospects to improve the D.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Boych logged 26mins a game in playoffs on an every second day (Playoffs are very important) pace and Chara 28 mins so Seid and Stuart need 21 each to make those #'s and give Fer and Hunw 12mins each.

Downgrading the backup goalie would only save us 725K max from 1.25M to the minimum of 500K.

PB lay off the dumba**ss pills, your posts are becoming stagnant with your behind the back TT hatred.  Just give it a rest.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I like what Bhanlon's got: Chara Boychuk Ference Seidenberg Stuart Hunwick Pros: - Balanced; each pairing has at least one tough as nails defender and a guy who can move the puck - Allows Julien to balance ice time among his d and keep a well rested top 6 - Each line is capable of producing offense - With the possible exception of Hunwick, all of the top 6 are physically strong players (compared to other NHLers) Cons: - No real star tandem, though having Chara out there helps - Real susceptible to injury; one injury and the whole thing falls apart, unless the injury is to Hunwick; could be hard to develop chemistry - Boychuk is not a number 2; he might be able to play that role with Chara, but he isn't a top-2 guy in the NHL (yet)
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

The only thing about Hunw's grit is he always manages to level the little speedster guys that noone else seems to be able to light up with his speed and he can be solid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

But CJ will throw the 3rd D pairing out woth the 4th line because he has he and doesn't have Lou Lamoriello saying "Oh know you won't" this is where PC is a little passive.

Hunwick and Ference must not play together or the Bruins will get burned just like when Julien throws the 4th line over the boards when Boston is about to take a faceoff in the offensive zone. Laviolette out coached Julien in several of these instances.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

But CJ will throw the 3rd D pairing out woth the 4th line because he has he and doesn't have Lou Lamoriello saying "Oh know you won't" this is where PC is a little passive. Hunwick and Ference must not play together or the Bruins will get burned just like when Julien throws the 4th line over the boards when Boston is about to take a faceoff in the offensive zone. Laviolette out coached Julien in several of these instances.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

You know it is nice to know someone else sees what I see.  CJ is functional to a point, then it is the law of diminishing returns.  With Ramsey gone we will see the real CJ, the challenge of being offensive without the defensive positioning.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The only team with a better D has to be obviously NJ.

Boston's O with no O and less puck possession, and Cj's style of dump the puck and giveup puck possession causes the most strain on the D.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The Top 6 : Thank you sir for the laugh. First off, Boychuk is too unproven, I would much rather he have some time to develop at the NHL level. Now on to the real hilarity of your post. You really think that there is a ghost of a chance that without injury or a disaster of a training camp, that Thomas is the starter? When the bruins needed wins at the end of the season, what happened? They stuck Thomas on the bench. Don't expect anything different to happen. What part of that was TT hatred. To improve your team you trade from positions of strength to aid positions at which the team is think or weak. I love Savard but if we got something good for him I would be all for it because we have 3 skill centers, with 2 more on the way. So we trade our 5 million dollar BACKUP goalie, get a 1 million goalie, and free up 4 million in cap room to strengthen our team in other areas....get it yet? I don't like Tim Thomas, no argument here, but there was nothing in my post to suggest that....what kind of pills were you selling again?
    Posted by pbergeron37

It is very possible for Thomas to emerge from training camp as the starter.  Your post is misguided and incorrect, but not surprising.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

with boychuk bein a up & comer I would have chara or seidenberg with him to further develop his convidence & game, he is a much needed Dman for the B,s to round out the unit....ference & hunwick together are a recipe for disaster even though i think ference if healthy is a pretty decent Dman...with this bein said how about chara-ference  seidenberg-boychuk  stuart-hunwick...you wonder about minutes logged with any combo that isnt top 4 D together.....honestly they could use a 3-4 Dman to replace hunwick which is easier said then done, unless a rookie steps up & takes over

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

For those concerned about the structure of certain individuals on our defense, I have a simple solution. Toronto nets us a top 2 pick and we draft Adam Larsson.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: The Top 6 : Thank you sir for the laugh. First off, Boychuk is too unproven, I would much rather he have some time to develop at the NHL level. Now on to the real hilarity of your post. You really think that there is a ghost of a chance that without injury or a disaster of a training camp, that Thomas is the starter? When the bruins needed wins at the end of the season, what happened? They stuck Thomas on the bench. Don't expect anything different to happen. What part of that was TT hatred. To improve your team you trade from positions of strength to aid positions at which the team is think or weak. I love Savard but if we got something good for him I would be all for it because we have 3 skill centers, with 2 more on the way. So we trade our 5 million dollar BACKUP goalie, get a 1 million goalie, and free up 4 million in cap room to strengthen our team in other areas....get it yet? I don't like Tim Thomas, no argument here, but there was nothing in my post to suggest that....what kind of pills were you selling again?
    Posted by pbergeron37

LMFAO
    Too much time on my hands, too easy.
    Boych +10 in 51 games last year and played even in 13 playoff games over 26 mins a game, I would say he passed his trial by fire.

On TT, you mention in at least every second post, because you didn't say his name didn't mean you weren't talking about him, that is why I started to have some fun with you. If you don't think TT will battle for his position you are completely off the wall. Both goalies will get starts, Rask will not play 80 straight let alone 10 or even 5 straight to start the season. Cj will continue his platoon tradition.

I expect Seg will be on your trade list next year after he misses signing your card.

On your last post, it is read carefully and read slowly or read careful and read slow, but you just stopped, what is it you want read carefully slow, go watch an old Reverend Jim episode on Taxi-What does a yellow light mean? Slow down. Whhaaaaattttt doooooooeeeeesss aaaaaa yellllloooooowww liiiiighttt meeeaaaaan? Slow down. Whhhhhaaaaaa...etc.etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The Top 6 : The only thing about Hunw's grit is he always manages to level the little speedster guys that noone else seems to be able to light up with his speed and he can be solid.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

What?  Hunwick is one of the worst defensemen I've seen when it comes to positioning.  He gets burned on the outside every game!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: The Top 6 : I wouldn't put players into groups of "skill" or "bodyguards". You don't need to be a goon to be tough mentally and physically. Eventually it will always come down to which team is able to impose it's will on the other, and talent alone won't ever be enough. You can fight and compete without ever throwing a punch, there's a ton of cliches that are fitting. They're all pretty accurate. I think you might be missing the point, and seem to always equate physical play with fighting.
    Posted by JWensink

solid.

But I would argue, that physicality alone is also never enough.  I would also argue that a team can win with some non-physical players (would you consider Gonchar and Malkin physical?) if the team has guys to compensate for this by bringing the physical play....I often refer to these guys as "body guards".  That might be a poor label; however, maybe "physicality compensators" would be a better choice?

While I agree that talent alone may not be enough, its one heck of a starting point.  Once you have the talent in place, it's not that hard to add the physicality.  Because the physical players (w/out touch) go relatively cheap on the open market (due to an abundance of supply), I think that its wise to first get the talent, and then surround it with the easier to find physical players.

On a side note, I dont like my talented guys being the most physical out there.  I dont believe that Joe Thornton is a "choke artist".  I think that he's too physical during the regular season, and by the playoffs, he's too dinged up to be Joe Thornton.  I think that Neely's career was shortened, because he too, was too physical.  There comes a time when you say to a superstar, we really dont want you playing this physical.  Its about business.  Why risk your 7M/year assets , when you can hire a 900K/yr guy to add the physicality?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Physicality.

Physicality.

Physicality.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Easy fellas.

TT will battle and get a chance to contribute because the B's appear to have little choice.  But the odds are better that Rask will outplay TT again.  Rask has the pedigree.  He has been the best of his class since he was a teenager.  He has dominated at the WJC.  He has played pro in Finland and the AHL prior to emerging as an NHL starter.  TT is another kind of story.  A great one non the less but very different.  Kudos to TT for even getting to the NHL nevermind excelling the way he has.  But he is 36 today and will be 37 by the time the 2011 Playoffs arrive.  IMO he isn't getting better and if his competition was not Rask we might be seeing a totally different scenario unfold.  TT has outplayed his competition in the past when you didn't think he could but he is not competing against the likes of Raycroft, Fernandez, Auld or Toivonen these days.  On older, less effective Thomas is competing against one of highest rated goalie prospects the Bruins have ever had and the bigger problem for TT is that Rask is no longer a prospect.  He is ready to be an NHL starting goalie.  No denying it.  Thankyou to the Leafs again! 

It't not a knock on TT.  It is what it is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]Physicality. Physicality. Physicality. x 10
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTe]

LOL, I cant stand Mike Ditka for the following reason.  Every game I've ever seen him analyze on TV, his solution for the losing team was : "they gotta get back to running the football."

Is it really that simple?  NO!

Rollerhockey is absolutely correct when he accuses me of undervaluing size.  He makes good points about the usefulness of having a big body to battle in front of your net.  But the thing is , 90% of the time I've watched a hockey post-game, the consensus among the announcers has been: "the losing team lost because they werent as physical." 

The simplicity irks me.  The more physical team doesnt win every game, and the most physical team doesnt win every cup.  The game is more complex than this (and if it wasnt, i wouldnt watch).

Now I dont mean to imply that I disdain the physicality in the NHL.  I love it.  But what I do hate, is how often I have to hear "we lost because they were more physical".  Its important , but there are other variables too.....like, oh i dont know, talent!