The Truth about Montreal: Economically Depressed and Repressed City

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

The Truth about Montreal: Economically Depressed and Repressed City

Has morality and class gone down the drain in Montreal? Oh wait! I am from there, and well... yes, it has.

The most conspicuous thing missing in this city is class. The economic situation is hitting the whole world now, but Montreal has been destitute for so long now (ever since bank of Montreal moved to Toronto--not a joke) that virtually half the city is on welfare (have stats to prove it but will not bother) and the other half pay about 40% of their salary to the government as income tax.

Sure, we have great bars and plenty of alcoholics to contribute to the night life, but there is a strong sense of underachievement in the city. The Habs were one of the few things people could turn to in order to convince themselves that some things about this city are not mediocre. A people needs that as much as it needs role models. (Not a great job done by the habs on that count, given that their history includes purse-snatching and associating with drug dealers--hearings to be held for at least 4 of the players after the playoffs are over, which should be soon).

So don't count on Habs fans giving up on their team any time soon. It's all they've got left, for many of them. This leads many to form irrational beliefs about the ability of the team.

I feel sorry for them sometimes. But most of the time, it's hard to do, since I came out of this same city and opted to get a life. Of course, I had to leave the city in order to do it.

It's nice to be able to speak freely here, given that 3 Bruins fans were booted off hfboards.com (by moderator "
    Blind Gardien") yesterday for saying things like "the Habs would probably lose to Boston even if Markov were not injured because they lost in the reg season even while he was healthy". (This is not an exaggeration: A fellow Bruins fan was booted for saying this, and I was booted for pointing out that this action violated America's right to free expression, which Quebec has a pretty long history of suppressing).

BruinsUnite.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucic007. Show lucic007's posts

Re: The Truth about Montreal: Economically Depressed and Repressed City

Montreals going DOWN.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

wow, excellent post. Definately sheds a new light on montreal for me. I feel bad for them now.

Too bad about the forum moderators, its infuriating at times when free-speech is repressed.

IMO say anything you want as long as it isn't spam and you give other people a chance to speak too

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Re: BruinsUnite

Interesting post BruinsUnite.  I'd have to say I enjoy all of your posts.  Also, if that you in the picture, I enjoy that as well!  I take it your in Montreal, if so, are you lucky enough to be going to games 3 or 4?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HermesConrad. Show HermesConrad's posts

Wow, crazy stuff there. Last time I was in Montreal I actually thought it was quite a cool city...but that was 1995. Maybe things changed? Sounds like the team is all a lot of people have left to cling to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Hey Hermes.  You've got to be a Futurama fan yeah?  "You can't give up hope because it's hopeless, you have to hope even more and cover your ears and go 'blah, blah, blah."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HermesConrad. Show HermesConrad's posts

Hey elosias....looks like I made a buddy, haha. But yeah, I LOVE Futurama!!!! What's not to love?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

I actually have all the seasons, and movies on DVD.  I'm 31 and watch a cartoon, lol.  But I hear you, there's a Fry in all of us, or maybe a Morbo or Bender (and every now and then some Zapp). 

Good news everyone... B's in 4!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

To all you guys:

Thanks for taking a moment to learn about the city. As much as I hate it, I must admit that it can be a lot of fun.

Now everything I said is true, but I don't think it's an excuse to become an underachiever. I left the city, speak English as a first language, and had to work hard to do it. So I have no pity for those who take the easy road. That's part of the reason why I love the Bruins.

The Bs work hard, and they play with soul. Last year in the playoffs, we saw evidence that no one is too big an underdog to win. They could have taken it. But I was the first to admit that the best team (at the time) won. It's about competition (Savvy knows about this; Timmy too--they never give up). Of course, I also predicted they'd kick as s in 2008/09, since they clearly showed signs of turning over a HUGE new leaf.

Hard work.

Has the city down downhill since 1995? It's been a steady decline, yes. We even lost the Grand Prix.

elosias: thanks man :)
    I was going to make it to game 3, but instead, I opted to let my brother go to the game with his wife as I watch the game on his big screen with his kids, who are Bruins-crazed and a blast to watch hockey with. The 5-yr-old knows more about hockey than I do! As I see it, I got the long end of the stick. Hockey's a family thing with us.

I actually almost got into a fight with a 16-ish year-old male habs fan last time I went to the Bell Center, and would rather not see that stuff. (You can't always freely get up and cheer for your team, even when they score, without hearing offensive remarks from a habs fan sitting behind you.) I prefer to watch games in Boston.

Olsonic: "Definitely sheds a new light on montreal for me. I feel bad for them now." Thanks a lot. take the fun out of our victory! But seriously, I feel badly for the fans, but they've got a lot to learn. It's hard to learn to think like a winner when you're used to losing, and it's hard to understand how to deal with loss when your team has never quite sucked as hard as the habs presently do, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

too bad Montreal is a great fun Party city. I used to go there alot when my 2 cousins went to Plattsburgh St.

Interesting that bruins fans get kicked off hfboards.com for saying something as simple as that. Kinda reminds of Lapierre not getting anything for hitting Kessel in game 1 and now Lucic will get suspended.

Defenite disparity with both situations. By the way cool stuff on bruinsunite.com I could watch the Bergy Gorges fight all day long!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HermesConrad. Show HermesConrad's posts

BruinsUnite Wrote:[QUOTE]Now everything I said is true, but I don't think it's an excuse to become an underachiever. I left the city, speak English as a first language, and had to work hard to do it. So I have no pity for those who take the easy road. That's part of the reason why I love the Bruins. The Bs work hard, and they play with soul. Last year in the playoffs, we saw evidence that no one is too big an underdog to win. They could have taken it. But I was the first to admit that the best team (at the time) won. It's about competition (Savvy knows about this; Timmy too--they never give up). Of course, I also predicted they'd kick as s in 2008/09, since they clearly showed signs of turning over a HUGE new leaf. Hard work.[/QUOTE]
    Wow...you're cool. Now that that's out of the way, I think it could actually be narrowed down to one game in particular of last year's playoffs when the B's turned over the new leaf: Game 6. If ever there was a game when Boston worked incredibly hard to overcome adversity, this was the one. They just NEVER quit. I looked at my wife and said later, "I think this coming season is gonna be incredible based on this game." That was the turning point. And didn't you just love the look on Sturm's face after he scored the game-winner? Just raw grit, determination, and fire in his soul!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

LMAO,
    So so so true Unite.  Get ready you will get a bunch of Montrealers freaking out anytime soon ...LOL...
    I do think Montreal is a great city but yes it's been on a decline ever since 1976 and their seperatist movement. Really too bad.  I think the decline has stopped a little cause how low can you go. 
    Right now all they have is their Habs along with their complexe that they should win the cup ever year.
    This complexe goes even further then just hockey as they feel they live in the best city in world, have the best looking girls, have the best bars HECK everything is the best up in Montreal !
    Again, I do enjoy Montreal as I would enjoy Toronto or even Boston . Just don't like people trying to stuff down my throat how Montreal is the best city in the world etc..
    Good post but get ready for the attacks. Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Yeah, I've been riding the high of game 6 for a while.  I still have it on my DVR and watch it every now and again, like 'adult entertainment' (wouldn't let me say p*rn) or something, lol.  Sturms face is burnt into my memory, and that's my one qualm about this year... he's not there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]Game 6. If ever there was a game when Boston worked incredibly hard to overcome adversity, this was the one. They just NEVER quit. I looked at my wife and said later, "I think this coming season is gonna be incredible based on this game." That was the turning point. And didn't you just love the look on Sturm's face after he scored the game-winner? Just raw grit, determination, and fire in his soul!
    Posted by HermesConrad[/QUOTE]

BINGO. I confess having watched that replay a few too many times... but the point is clear. We have a team of fighters on our hands. 'Heart & Soul'.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]get ready for the attacks. 
    Posted by HabsHaterBRPC[/QUOTE]

Hey--freedom of speech, man! But luckily, I also have the freedom to ignore them...

ps.
     Elosias: Nobody's going to forget what Sturm did for us. I think we all miss him, the freaking German! Luv ya Marco ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HermesConrad. Show HermesConrad's posts

[QUOTE]BINGO. I confess having watched that replay a few too many times... but the point is clear. We have a team of fighters on our hands. 'Heart & Soul'.
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]
    I would be willing to wager that elosias and I have watched that replay " a few too many times" as well. It's just too awesome, lol.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I am  huge Bruins fan living in Montreal just out of college at UVM, and I must say that this is the greatest place to live in the world. There is never a day during the winter where I can't find a pick up game of hockey to play at a local outdoor rink. The food and the nightlife are great, there are 1000's of restaurants to choose from. There is great hockey talk. The rent is dirt cheap, and I make a great wage for a computer company which allows me to save money. The banks aren't crashing and things are looking on the up up here. God bless having dual citizenship, I never want to move back to the states. TSN has hockey highlights round the clock and I never have to hear or watch those fools at ESPN. Don't feel too sorry for Montreal, feel sorry for the states

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from montreal24stanleycup. Show montreal24stanleycup's posts

.................. .. BOSTON 5UCKS BOSTON 5UCKS
    ........... BOSTON 5UCKS BOSTON 5UCKS BOSTON 5UCKS
    ..... BOSTON 5UCKS... BOSTON..........5UCKS .. BOSTON 5UCKS
    ... BOSTON 5UCKS..... BOSTON......... 5UCKS ...... BOSTON 5UCKS
    . BOSTON 5UCKS....... BOSTON......... 5UCKS
    BOSTON 5UCKS......... BOSTON......... 5UCKS
    BOSTON 5UCKS.............. BOSTON 5UCKS.........
    BOSTON 5UCKS......... BOSTON......... 5UCKS
    . BOSTON 5UCKS....... BOSTON......... 5UCKS
    ... BOSTON 5UCKS..... BOSTON......... 5UCKS ..... BOSTON 5UCKS
    ..... BOSTON 5UCKS... BOSTON......... 5UCKS ... BOSTON 5UCKS
    ........... BOSTON 5UCKS BOSTON 5UCKS BOSTON 5UCKS
    ..................... BOSTON 5UCKS BOSTON 5UCKS

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[QUOTE] TSN has hockey highlights round the clock and I never have to hear or watch those fools at ESPN. Don't feel too sorry for Montreal[/QUOTE]

I <3 Boston, but I completely agree with you. TSN is much much better.

I despise ESPN

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]I am  huge Bruins fan living in Montreal just out of college at UVM, and I must say that this is the greatest place to live in the world. There is never a day during the winter where I can't find a pick up game of hockey to play at a local outdoor rink. The food and the nightlife are great, there are 1000's of restaurants to choose from. There is great hockey talk. The rent is dirt cheap, and I make a great wage for a computer company which allows me to save money. The banks aren't crashing and things are looking on the up up here. God bless having dual citizenship, I never want to move back to the states. TSN has hockey highlights round the clock and I never have to hear or watch those fools at ESPN. Don't feel too sorry for Montreal, feel sorry for the states
    Posted by crono420[/QUOTE]

Het Crono, wait 'til you've been out of school for a while and get back to us.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Let's see... American University (strike one), 420 in the screenname (strike two), defects to Canada (you're out).  Wow, I bet you protest military recruiters at UMV.  Stay there, you aren't missed. 

Didn't college teach you sentance structure?  Oh yeah, American university... almost forgot.  Did you mean you're a large person who is a Bruin's fan?

You're probably the computer guy who rigged the all-star balloting.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

crono420 ,   exactly what I was talking about.  You can get that in other cities in the States,  Boston for instance or what about Toronto.  That city is 10 times Montreal.  Everyone that lives in Montreal think it's the only city in the World.
    If Montreal is so great explain to me why the freakn' Canadian $$$ is so weak !

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dom77. Show dom77's posts

[QUOTE]Has morality and class gone down the drain in Montreal? Oh wait! I am from there, and well... yes, it has. The most conspicuous thing missing in this city is class. The economic situation is hitting the whole world now, but Montreal has been destitute for so long now (ever since bank of Montreal moved to Toronto--not a joke) that virtually half the city is on welfare (have stats to prove it but will not bother) and the other half pay about 40% of their salary to the government as income tax. Sure, we have great bars and plenty of alcoholics to contribute to the night life, but there is a strong sense of underachievement in the city. The Habs were one of the few things people could turn to in order to convince themselves that some things about this city are not mediocre. A people needs that as much as it needs role models. (Not a great job done by the habs on that count, given that their history includes purse-snatching and associating with drug dealers--hearings to be held for at least 4 of the players after the playoffs are over, which should be soon). So don't count on Habs fans giving up on their team any time soon. It's all they've got left, for many of them. This leads many to form irrational beliefs about the ability of the team. I feel sorry for them sometimes. But most of the time, it's hard to do, since I came out of this same city and opted to get a life. Of course, I had to leave the city in order to do it. It's nice to be able to speak freely here, given that 3 Bruins fans were booted off hfboards.com (by moderator " Blind Gardien ") yesterday for saying things like "the Habs would probably lose to Boston even if Markov were not injured because they lost in the reg season even while he was healthy". (This is not an exaggeration: A fellow Bruins fan was booted for saying this, and I was booted for pointing out that this action violated America's right to free expression, which Quebec has a pretty long history of suppressing). BruinsUnite.com
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

You know what is funny....... I just checked out the forum you mentioned and they are not taking any new registrationsLaughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see... American University (strike one), 420 in the screenname (strike two), defects to Canada (you're out).  Wow, I bet you protest military recruiters at UMV.  Stay there, you aren't missed.  Didn't college teach you sentance structure?  Oh yeah, American university... almost forgot.  Did you mean you're a large person who is a Bruin's fan? You're probably the computer guy who rigged the all-star balloting.
    Posted by elosias[/QUOTE]

You see, this is the reason I never want to move home. Arrogent, uncultured idiots are everywhere in the states. FYI, I am terrible with grammer, however I do not how to do HP server replication across a T1 private phone line. :). Its one of the many IT projects I am implemanting for my clients across this great nation. I hear many of my friends who gradutated with me in the states cannot get a job.:(

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

[QUOTE]crono420 ,   exactly what I was talking about.  You can get that in other cities in the States,  Boston for instance or what about Toronto.  That city is 10 times Montreal.  Everyone that lives in Montreal think it's the only city in the World. If Montreal is so great explain to me why the freakn' Canadian $$$ is so weak !  
    Posted by HabsHaterBRPC[/QUOTE]

I believe one year ago today the canadian dollar was worth more than the american dollar. I'm sure history will repeat itself, when it does, i am going to cash in with some American $$$. Until then I will continue to help grow Canada's economy