There goes the bruins season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Re: There goes the bruins season

In Response to Re: There goes the bruins season:
    [QUOTE]And when I say "defensive minded" up there, I should also mention that he was a -43 playing in the AHL... Terrible injury to have, but this guy likely didn't belong in the NHL in the first place... Amazing that Julien stuck with him so long in the Flyers' series when he had no hits, no shots, no goals and didn't do much else in many of the games that he played in... Have to wonder what Julien was thinking ?
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

As I remember, Whitfield had one breakaway in that series.  He also checked competently.  Didn't make any glaring mistakes. Used on penalty kill too.   I think coach wanted to play it safe, rather than use Marchand , who is penalty prone.  We were up by 3 games at that point.  Whitfield had good stats in Prov. 

Also, as I remember. Marchand was injured at that time.  

Some of you guys seem to need to dump on some player all the time.  Why don't you save your dumping for where it belongs? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you're using AHL stats to decide who the better offensive threat is, it would have been Marchand, but only by .11 points per game last year.  If you figure that's 1 point every ten games, then ask youself how often a Marchand penalty  - or a rookie mistake, or a simple lack of maturity - might cost you a goal.  I'd have to think Whitfield would look a little more palatable to a coach.  You're probably up in net goals with TW.  There are other reasons to want Marchand in over Whitfield, but offense v. defense isn't really one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]What's with all these "good Saskatchewan boy" comments on the TSN site commentary anyways ? What kind of homer writes something like that especially when that country's biggest claim to fame is being mentioned in a Proclaimers' song : "I can tell the difference between margarine and butter. I can say Saskatchewan without starting to stutter." Who gives a f*** where the guy is from ?

Quick geography lesson . Saskatchewan is as much of a country as Massachusetts is . Claim to fame in hockey ,Gordie Howe " good Saskatchewan boy". TSN is not in the country of Saskatchewan but it is in Canada so that might explain the comments you speak of regarding one of their native sons. Try ESPN for Massachusetts comments. They're just as proud of their 'country' as you are of yours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Many years ago, he stiffed the B's because he wanted more money.  Then he turned into nothing more than an AHL callup.

See ya, Whitfield.  You never made it.  You weren't good enough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

[QUOTE]What's with all these "good Saskatchewan boy" comments on the TSN site commentary anyways ? What kind of homer writes something like that especially when that country's biggest claim to fame is being mentioned in a Proclaimers' song : "I can tell the difference between margarine and butter. I can say Saskatchewan without starting to stutter." Who gives a f*** where the guy is from ?

Not sure I can say Massachusetts without stuttering...but I know Saskatchewan is not a country.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Uh yah as someone mentioned $550,000 off the books goodbye!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]If you're using AHL stats to decide who the better offensive threat is, it would have been Marchand, but only by .11 points per game last year.  If you figure that's 1 point every ten games, then ask youself how often a Marchand penalty  - or a rookie mistake, or a simple lack of maturity - might cost you a goal.  I'd have to think Whitfield would look a little more palatable to a coach.  You're probably up in net goals with TW.  There are other reasons to want Marchand in over Whitfield, but offense v. defense isn't really one.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Thank you for bringing some sense to the table, everyone seems so in love with marchand and talks about all the "offense" he brings while failing to notice his 0g 1a in 20 games..

Upside, thats the one thing marchand has at this point that whitfield doesn't, and I a would guess in the next season/ season and  a half he gets some chances this year with the club, but ultimately will get passed on the depth chart..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

March does bring O, he may not have been on the board last year, but he will be. He brings excitement and panache, when he is on the ice you know something is going to happen, a goal , a chance, whatever, he just brings up the excitement level in the game.

Yes March takes pens, but he also draws just as many, this is not an issue for me, you know he is in every shift and not floating.  He is a player that has amped up in every level when the game is on the line.  He was best player in A last year and should have been the 1st call every time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from janesie22. Show janesie22's posts

To belittle a individual because he doesn't have huge numbers is a sad commentary. Trent Whitfield may lose a year of his career that goes to supporting himself, family members and whatever else he has going on his life. Most of us would give up the desk jobs we do every day to be a journeyman pro athlete so to wax poetic on the backs of a grinding mucker is pathetic. It's an old line, but maybe Mr. Whitfield can come to your cubicle and sign your keyboard or go to your construction site and sign your workboots.
     Janesie

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: There goes the bruins season : Not sure I can say Massachusetts without stuttering...but I know Saskatchewan is not a country.
    Posted by number08[/QUOTE]

Well, there you go...

Apparently, this Saskatchewan place isn't even a country...

Why the h-e-double hockey sticks was this Whitfield guy even brought up to the Bruins' roster in the Flyers' series...

He was absolutely useless !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Trent Whitfield's NHL stats last year:

GP    G    A    P
    16    0    1    1

Brad Marchand's NHL stats last year:

GP    G    A    P
    20    0    1    1

Yup, Brad Marchand really earned those call ups over Whitfield.  All of his boneheaded penalties and such definitely helped the team out.  And that offense!  Wow!

Whitfield puts in a solid effort.  He may not be the best player on the ice but he is not a liability.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: There goes the bruins season : As I remember, Whitfield had one breakaway in that series.  He also checked competently.  Didn't make any glaring mistakes. Used on penalty kill too.   I think coach wanted to play it safe, rather than use Marchand , who is penalty prone.  We were up by 3 games at that point.  Whitfield had good stats in Prov.  Also, as I remember. Marchand was injured at that time.   Some of you guys seem to need to dump on some player all the time.  Why don't you save your dumping for where it belongs? 
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

I was looking for a video on the net of Whitfield's weak wrister directly into Leighton's chest...

Oddly enough, I could not find one...

You think it might be on a instuctional video on what not to do on a breakaway in Game 6 of a playoff series...

He hit someone in the playoffs ?

I don't recall that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Trent Whitfield was a -43 in the AHL in his career...

See ya', Whitfield...

Hope you put some of that cash away for a rainy day, man ! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]Trent Whitfield's NHL stats last year: GP    G    A    P 16    0    1    1 Brad Marchand's NHL stats last year: GP    G    A    P 20    0    1    1 Yup, Brad Marchand really earned those call ups over Whitfield.  All of his boneheaded penalties and such definitely helped the team out.  And that offense!  Wow! Whitfield puts in a solid effort.  He may not be the best player on the ice but he is not a liability.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan[/QUOTE]

Here`s the more appropriate comparison :

Brad Marchand`s AHL playoffs stats :

16 - 7 - 8 - 15 (2008-2009)

Trent Whitfield`s AHL playoffs stats :

7- 2 - 1 - 3 (2008-2009 )

Anyone who doesn`t think that Julien picked the wrong guy in the playoffs is a homer from the East Elbow, Flatlands...

But it`s a dry cold !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In fact, if any of you, dummies, actually knew anything about hockey, you would have seen that choosing Whitfield over Marchand typifies everything that is wrong with Julien as a head coach...

Safe, conservative, uninspiring, not offensively minded, sticks with players who are ineffective...

Oh, do I need to say it again...

3-0, 3-0, uh-oh ! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: There goes the bruins season : Here`s the more appropriate comparison : Brad Marchand`s AHL playoffs stats : 16 - 7 - 8 - 15 (2008-2009) Trent Whitfield`s AHL playoffs stats : 7- 2 - 1 - 3 (2008-2009 ) Anyone who doesn`t think that Julien picked the wrong guy in the playoffs is a homer from the East Elbow, Flatlands... But it`s a dry cold !

You forgot about this stat:

Trent Whitfield: 7 GP, 0 PIM

Brad Marchand: 16GP, 26PIM

That extra penalty/game (a little less) would have been helpful for sure.

Marchand was not going to be any kind of a savior for the Bruins in the playoffs.  He would have had no real impact except for being a defensive liability.  This is why Whitfield was put in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

[QUOTE]In fact, if any of you, dummies, actually knew anything about hockey, you would have seen that choosing Whitfield over Marchand typifies everything that is wrong with Julien as a head coach... Safe, conservative, uninspiring, not offensively minded, sticks with players who are ineffective... Oh, do I need to say it again... 3-0, 3-0, uh-oh ! 

I agree that Marchand should have been in the lineup instead of Whitfield although it wouldn't have made a difference IMO with the final outcome based on that. But I find it kind of ironic that someone who called Saskatchewan a country is calling other posters 'dummies'. WOW ! LMFAO ! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Apparently, I have said something that has offended the... ummm...  Saskatchewhiners here...

Ok...  Ok... I get it...

Trent Whitfield is a "good ole Saskatchewan boy," who "lives and dies for hockey," and is likely another Gordie Howe in the making being from Saskatchewan (which is only a Province -- not a country...)

Good gawd, I suppose that I'll have to start reading the Head-Smashed-in-Buffalo-Hump Times to be more politically correct in the future...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No "politically" - just "correct".  And I don't know what you do with your buffalo, and man, I don't wanna.

RMiller - you're arguments almost always have something to do with Junior Hockey, so, for your edification:

Trent Whifield's best WHL season: 65 games, 38 goals, 44 assists, 82 points.  That's 1.26 points per game.  Also took 97 pims that year, so he's no wallflower, and in case it needs to be said, WHL numbers are often harder to come by than QMJHL numbers just because the Quebec league is so much more wide open.  Whitfield also had two long playoff runs of more than a point/game production.  Marchand had three years of good playoffs, but only one that was as exceptional as his sophomore season in Val D'or.  Oh, and comparing that limited snapshot of 08-09 playoff stats is goofy considering Marchand was on good Providence team and Whitfield was on a middling Peoria team.  If you wanted to get a dig in on Whitfield, maybe point out that he's played for DNQ teams almost his entire career - though that will happen if you're trying to catch on to the tail of the NHL talent pool.

Marchand's best Jr. year (for comparison):  57 games, 33 goals, 47 assists, 80 points and 108 pims - good for 1.4ppg.

What this should tell you, as much as anything, is that Marchand is as likely to be Whitfield (offensively) as he is to be a significant offensive force in a playoff series.  And the one thing you know for sure is that he's more likely to make rookie mistakes.

So - I'm not president of the Whitfield fan club.  I'm much closer to NAS's sentiments re: a guy who tried to stick it to the Bruins for cash and found himself fighting to live up to his demands.  And I like Marchand because I think, if he can find a comfort zone in the NHL, he's got that opportunistic scorer's knack for being in the right place at the right time - a quality that isn't about skill or speed or even smarts as much as instinct and energy.  What this boils down to for me is, if you're sucking a corner of your Bruins blanky and lamenting that Whitfield dented Leighton's chest and not Marchand, or if you think Marchand was the guy who could have single-handedly prevented the Bruins from blowing a 3-0 lead in game 7, then you're living in a fantasy land where maritime crustaceans share the knowledge of ancient civilizations in drunken kitchen cailies where hockey players are given their mystical destinies.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Saskatchewan is a Province in the Country of Canada! Don't be so ignorant! That's what causes Canadians to go against the US! When people like you talk like we still live in igloo's!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Who did better in Peewee?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: There goes the bruins season : Saskatchewan is a Province in the Country of Canada! Don't be so ignorant! That's what causes Canadians to go against the US! When people like you talk like we still live in igloo's!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I know where Saskatchewan is, thanks...

Couple of sod houses there and a Mountie outpost...  No big deal...

I just hate homers that say this kid is a "good ole boy from" x where they "live and die with hockey" because Gordie Howe once came from there...

I bet that golf is actually now much more popular in Saskatchewan than hockey...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

And if you, girls, are so smart about this place called Saskatchewan...

What do they even call the people from there ?
    BC - British Columbians
    Alta - Albertans
    MB - Manitobans
    Ont - Ontarians
    QC - Quebecers
    NB - Herring Chokers
    NF - Newfoundlanders or Newfies
    PEI - Islanders
    NS - Bluenosers

I say that they should be called Flatlanders...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Who did better in Peewee?
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Whitfield's best PeeWee season he went 26-29-55 in 34 games - that is, 26 post-game pizzas, 29 post-game DQ sundaes, and 55 Big Gulps - generally two per pizza.

Marchand managed less pizza but more cod.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

But for what it's worth, it's interesting to compare a guy like Whitfield, who's getting ripped by extension when people say the coach is an idiot for playing him, and compare him to the kid people want to take his place.  Rookie credentials are based on "up-side" or the hope they can translate junior production to the NHL (very very rare for a junior plugger to become an NHL scoring whiz).  At one point, those aging veteran call-ups were rooks with potential.  It's a reminder that we should probably temper our outlook.

Sections
Shortcuts