They are playing awesome, one of the hottest teams in hockey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

They are playing awesome, one of the hottest teams in hockey

I've noticed this statement frequently on this board and no one challenges it?

These statements have been made about the Leafs.

The Leafs get Phaneuf and play 2 good games and lose one, and they are playing awesome?  They are one of the hottest teams in hockey?

Not a pom pom waver, but if I made that statement about the Bruins after;
    Having a 3-0 game and losing it in OT aginst the Devils
    Then a 5-0 win

I would be laughed and ridiculed right out of this forum.

So tell me, why are so many predicting the Leafs to get hot, might make the playoffs, the Islanders will finish last.

FACT they are in last place in the division.
    FACT they traded away 2 of there top scorers.
    FACT in their favor they got a goalie
    FACT in their favor they got a defenseman

Now all of a sudden everybody is afraid of the Leafs?

Please explain how the Leafs got so good so fast and why everybody says things like they are famous for pouring it on at the end of the season and all this?

Again - even if the Bruins even got Kovalchuk, then blew a 3-0 lead and won one, would there be gushing optimism on this board.

Really people, what is this all about?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: They are playing awesome, one of the hottest teams in hockey

I really don't get this. 

Other teams are capable of anything as long as it is mathematically possible. 

The Bruins are not.

Why?  Past history?  The Leafs haven't been to the finals since 66-67 when they last won a cup. 43 years.  In that time the Bruins have won 2 cups and have been to the finals 4 times.

This year people are talking about the Leafs making the playoffs and are being taken seriously.  They would be a jump of 12 points from where they are now.  If the Bruins did that - that would put them in 4-5 place in the division.

If I were to say the Bruins will finish 4th in the division this year, how many would buy into that?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolftears. Show wolftears's posts

Another Leafs thread you start where you are talking to yourself. Talk about being obsessed!

Would you give it up already it is REALLY annoying. Go post on a Leafs board!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think the Leafs are going to make the playoffs but if the Bruins don't start playing better and/or PC doesn't do something there is that possibility that the Leafs could catch the Bruins. Slight but possible not laughing but Giguere could get hot they made a very hot team look ordinary, Sorry

That Toronto pick could end up being 6-9 instead of 1-3. I have to admit the Leafs have looked good as of late and the Bruins are underachieving. I still think Boston will get into the dance I'm not changing my mind and niether are the Leafs but that precious pick could just end up at 6-9.

I'm Evaluating LoL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

After the Leafs play SJ on Monday, they only have 22 games left. Take away the Islanders and the Leafs are 10 points behind the next team. The teams that they are chasing would have to tank the rest of the year and the Leafs would have to go on a tear. This is not happening. Also, Carolina is hot and will not end up behind Toronto. The Toronto pick will end up being between 2-4.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

It seem's like 1st or 3rd is the spot to have, based on history.  Also, the record shows that after 2 or 3 consecutive years of retaining the spot, it goes to a lower ranked team the next year.

1995 - Los Angeles   7th to 3rd
              Ottawa retained 1st overall
    1996 - Ottawa
    1997 - Boston
    1998 - Tampa Bay    3rd to 1st*
    1999 - Chicago        8th to 4th
              Tampa Bay retained 1st overall
    2000 - NY Islanders  5th to 1st
    2001 - Atlanta          3rd to 1st
    2002 - Florida          3rd to 1st
    2003 - Florida          4th to 1st
    2004 - Washington   3rd to 1st
    2005 - Pittsburgh                
    2006 - St. Louis
    2007 - Chicago        5th to 1st
    2008 - Tampa Bay
    2009 - Islanders

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Leafs are going nowhere fast. I suspect they'll get back to their regular season losing performance shortly. They seem to hold some curse over the Senators.......that I'll never understand (or try to!).

The Leafs......4 yrs. without a post season appearance............something even Bruins fans haven't had to suffer in recent memory.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

BadHab:

Who's saying that the Leafs are the hottest team in the league?

They are playing well, but hardly awesome or best in the League.  Phaneuf trade has really helped stabilize the defence and the the PK and PP.

They will be hard pressed to get out of the bottom 5 - too big a hole to get out of with 20 games left.  I think they have a small chance given some teams will start to sell and go in the tank e.g. Columbus, Oilers, Hurricane (if they trade Whitney), Islanders are going down fast, Atlanta will go further down without Kovalchuk.

Only good thing is that they are playing well and the kids are up and playing well.  Kessel has been on a tear and playing well after that 14 game slump.

We also finally have a goaltender.  Gustavsson is not NHL ready and he blew the game against the Devils on Friday.  Leafs dominated for 57 minutes.  Thank god we got rid of Toskala.

D-line looks really good now but scoring will be a challenge (unless we play Ottawa a few more times.....LOL)

P.S.  Bruins looked really good against the Habs today.  I love it when the Habs lose.... Rask was incredible.  Bruins will make the playoffs....they have finally hit rock bottom and will start to make their way back up again...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

That's been in a few posts.  Also said that the Leafs were "breathing down the neck of the Bruins."

Look at the posts, a lot of pessimism, even tho 2 major things in this game in addition to the win.
    1) Rask is for real and has proven he is a #1.
    2) McQuaid has arrived.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

BadHab - Not to worry.  Folks were perhaps concerned with the Leafs maybe winning a couple here and there while our club, prior to today's win, showed no signs of pulling out of our tailspin.  8-10 points in the NHL is quite the gap with only so many games to go.  I, too, was hoping the Leafs would not inch closer to our guys as we want them to be at or as close to the league basement as possible, with all due respect to you, LRH.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Now the post topic could be true of any team winning a couple games in the New NHL. Got to hate shootout hockey!  Badhab you are one of the best of Bruins fans. I also enjoy the Toronto vistors, misery loves company!  Speaking of original six teams, I still want Chicago to lose this year! The Bruins and Toronto will win a cup before Chicago.  I know, no clue, but true!  Go Bruins! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Looking at the other threads there are a great many posts saying the Bruins will not make the playoffs.  The Bruins are 3 pts behind the Habs who are in 6th place and people are saying they won't make the playoffs.

Other than just negativity, what is the basis for that judgement?
    They aren't mathematically out of it.
    They have had a really bad losing streak, but they are still in it.
    They have arguably the best goaltending tandemn in the league.
    Other than Wideman, the defense is reasonably solid.
    Of course scoring has been pretty dismal.  Injuries are not an excuse, but you have to admit when you've had 3 important forwards hurt, it takes them a while to get back to mid season form, especially Lucic.

I just don't see how that kind of judgement can be made about any of the teams in the division in places 6-12.  Although the Islanders odds aren't good, I wouldn't count them totally out of it at this point.  Counting the Islanders, it's an 8 pt spread over places 6-12.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I have never felt as if the bruins were ever out of the playoff race.the only people who were either don't understand math or just want to be the first negative "fan"to say I told you the Bruins were no good.It is amazing how many on this site seem to want the bruins to lose.anyways the leafs have played more games than anyone but Habs and Jackets yet are still 10 points behind Bruins and Flyers for eighth.Hard to make up ground when the teams ahead have 3 games in hand.If the leafs make the playoffs I will be betting on them to win it all because it will take a miracle for that team to make playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Gotta ask, LRH - given that you seem way more sober than most Laff fans - you hang out here to get a break from the sine wave of idiocy that always surrounds the former St. Pats?  You know "Best team in hockey...but all the players couldn't play in Japan...but they rule!...except for the fact that they couldn't beat a tyke team".  Not that Bruins fans don't have the same deal going on, but the peaks and valleys (with a few exceptions) don't seem as stark.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Bruin fans are a funny lot sometimes.  I think Leaf fans have been known for being overly and unrealistically optimistic.

Bruin Fans, on the other hand, are the opposite.  They seem much more pessimistic.

There is no way the Bruins don't make the playoffs.  They have too good a team even with CJ coaching and they have hit rock bottom so they will be fine from this point on.

One thing I noticed in the Habs game is that when Krejcki (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong) went down, Savard was getting double-shifted and Bergy was playing more.  They are so much more effective when those 2 players get more playing time.  CJ running 4 lines equally is bogus.  Run your top guys more and leaf in the 4th line occassionally.   Lucic looked better, should at least be on the 3rd line (not the 4th).

Savard looked like the elite player he is in that game and I think it's because he was getting more ice time.

Rask is the real deal.  If you can only find a way to unload Thomas's contract (Bruins might have to eat some of his salary).  I wouldn't do it until next year though (possibly the off-season).

Bottom Line:  Leafs finish no higher that 5th lowest in the league and Bruins will get a lottery pick.  Bruins make the playoffs as the 6th or 7th seed (just avoid Washington at all costs). 

Most leaf fans I know are getting much happier with what Kessel can bring to the team both as a scorer and surprisingly a playmaker as well.  If the pick is middle of the pack next year, that I think the Leafs will be happy with the transaction over all.  If it's another lottery pick next year.....I don't want to think about that