Things to like about Horton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky. Show eyeinthesky's posts

Things to like about Horton

This guy can score, will be used in shootouts, is big (6'2" 229) , high talent (3rd overrall), and is not a total pushover.  He is a true first line winger.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoN13dW6tCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75K89JzhXhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz3TkEMwJvo&feature=related

second goal is nasty

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Re: Things to like about Horton

Big - yes, high draftpick in 2003 - yes...

Never lived up to prior expectations - has been described as soft, inconsistent and even lazy, at times...

Sounds Ryder-esque ! 

20 goals last year...  22 goals the season before that...

65th in NHL scoring with 57 points last season - tied with Matt Stajan...

A "true first line winger" depending on what your definition of a "true first line winger" is...

"No heartbeat," said one Bruins' player...

Also, not worth giving up a first round pick in my opinion...

PC overpaid again !

Less points in his six seasons in the NHL than Michael Ryder has had in his six seasons in the NHL...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Analysis of first video...

Horton takes the double minor and Kaleta gets nothing...

Forgot one point...

Has reputation for easily losing his temper and costing his team too...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank710. Show Frank710's posts

In Response to Re: Things to like about Horton:
    Less points in his six seasons in the NHL than Michael Ryder has had in his six seasons in the NHL...
    Posted by RMiller87

Horton: Games 422  Goals 142  Assists 153  Points 295  Points/Game=.699 

Ryder: Games 470  Goals 144  Assists 149  Points 293  Points/Game=.623

Also, Horton is a career +27 as opposed to Ryder's career +7.  Keep in mind Ryder has been on better teams too (made playoffs 5 of 6 seasons, Panthers haven't made the playoffs in about 10 years).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Well that second goal shows alot of speed,,,Im impressed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky. Show eyeinthesky's posts

Sounds Ryder-esque !  20 goals last year...  22 goals the season before that... 65th in NHL scoring with 57 points last season - tied with Matt Stajan...
    Also, not worth giving up a first round pick in my opinion...

To say he tied with matt stajan is overlooking the facts.  57 points each, Yes

But, Horton did it in 65 games, Stajan played all 82.  Horton has been a leader on the Panthers, for no other reason than his success on ice. 

As for the "not worth giving up a first round pick" Yes I would have liked to keep it or package other less-valuable picks instead, but you have to give up someting to get something.  Wideman is not worth Horton at all.  Horton was a #3 overrall pick that has first line contributions in the nhl.  Are you saying Mcllrath or whatever D we would have chosen with that pick will have that kind of impact?

I would trade an unknown 15th overrall pick for the proven #3 every day of the week if I were that fortunate.  Especially since he will contribute NOW, which is important if you ever want to see the B's win a cup.  I don't wanna wait a few seasons to be back in contention, this guy will have better numbers than Kessel this year, No Doubt

And if you think Ryder and Horton are of equal talent, skill, and contributions, you will change your mind once you see them on the same ice.  Guaranteed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

He finishes his chances.  That alone sets him apart from the rest of our top scorers.  idn how many breakaways Sturm and Paille blew last season, but it was somewhere in the range of what-the-fck-is-wrong-with-you and are-you-fcking-kidding-me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Bim, good use of wit to drive the point home.  Completely agree.

Is the fact that Horton is a center by trade mean that he'll at least be defensively conscious?  Im thinking that because Centers are asked to do more in their own zone, a converted center is generally more of a two-way player than a lifelong wing.

Any truth to that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Here is a blurb about Horton from the 2003 draft.  I know this is dated, but I thought it was a quick/interesting read.  

Nathan Horton, C
    Ht: 6-2   Wt: 201   Born: 5/29/85 
    2002-03 with Oshawa (OHL): 54 GP, 33 G, 35 A, 68 PTS, 111 PIM
    NHL Central Scouting Rank: 4th among North American skaters

Jumped one spot to finish the season as NHL Central Scouting's fourth-ranked North American skater. He could go even higher on draft day because of his impressive size -- 6-2 and 203 pounds. When he takes advantage of his combination of size, speed and strength, he's "a very hard player to defend against," according to one scout. Also plays a responsible game in his own zone and was among the Ontario Hockey League leaders with five short-handed goals. OHL coaches voted him third-most dangerous player around the net. Some scouts question his consistency, although others consider him an above-average all-around talent. His junior coach, Oshawa's George Burnette, described him as "very unselfish and team-oriented." "The thing I like best about Nathan is that it's never about him," Burnette said. "He's the type of player that really makes coaching fun."

Interesting that "some scouts question his consistency" as that observation continues to follow him.  You have to like just about everything else that was said about him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2003/06/19/prospect_capsules/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

He was chosen #3 in probably the strongest draft of all time. A new scenerio could change him from being an unhappy player, and thus not reaching full potential, to a happy player who does reach his full potential. Sounds like he's happy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Big - yes, high draftpick in 2003 - yes... Never lived up to prior expectations - has been described as soft, inconsistent and even lazy, at times... Sounds Ryder-esque !  20 goals last year...  22 goals the season before that... 65th in NHL scoring with 57 points last season - tied with Matt Stajan... A "true first line winger" depending on what your definition of a "true first line winger" is... "No heartbeat," said one Bruins' player... Also, not worth giving up a first round pick in my opinion... PC overpaid again ! Less points in his six seasons in the NHL than Michael Ryder has had in his six seasons in the NHL...
    Posted by RMiller87

If he can score 20 goals and be reasonably responsible defensively it will be a steal in my opinion.Florida is stuck with Wideman ,the Florida D just dramatically took a nosedive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Compare his first four years in the league and Phil Kessel's....its pretty comparable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Here is a blurb about Horton from the 2003 draft.  I know this is dated, but I thought it was a quick/interesting read.   Nathan Horton, C Ht: 6-2   Wt: 201   Born: 5/29/85  2002-03 with Oshawa (OHL): 54 GP, 33 G, 35 A, 68 PTS, 111 PIM NHL Central Scouting Rank: 4th among North American skaters Jumped one spot to finish the season as NHL Central Scouting's fourth-ranked North American skater. He could go even higher on draft day because of his impressive size -- 6-2 and 203 pounds. When he takes advantage of his combination of size, speed and strength, he's "a very hard player to defend against," according to one scout. Also plays a responsible game in his own zone and was among the Ontario Hockey League leaders with five short-handed goals. OHL coaches voted him third-most dangerous player around the net. Some scouts question his consistency, although others consider him an above-average all-around talent. His junior coach, Oshawa's George Burnette, described him as "very unselfish and team-oriented." "The thing I like best about Nathan is that it's never about him," Burnette said. "He's the type of player that really makes coaching fun." Interesting that "some scouts question his consistency" as that observation continues to follow him.  You have to like just about everything else that was said about him. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2003/06/19/prospect_capsules/
    Posted by Crowls2424

This was 7 years ago...

I could get out Alexander Daigle's draft information, and it would be equally meaningless...

As for those predicting the demise of the Panthers' defense on this thread, I don't think so...

Tallon and the Panthers will likely pick up Fowler or Gormley in this upcoming draft, and then we'll see how good Wideman can be with a decent defensive partner...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Things to like about Horton : Horton: Games 422  Goals 142  Assists 153  Points 295  Points/Game=.699  Ryder: Games 470  Goals 144  Assists 149  Points 293  Points/Game=.623 Also, Horton is a career +27 as opposed to Ryder's career +7.  Keep in mind Ryder has been on better teams too (made playoffs 5 of 6 seasons, Panthers haven't made the playoffs in about 10 years).
    Posted by Frank710

Factor in Michael Ryder's playoff scoring, and he has 319 pts in those six seasons compared to Horton's 295 pts over a similar time span in the NHL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

In Response to Re: Things to like about Horton : This was 7 years ago... I could get out Alexander Daigle's draft information, and it would be equally meaningless... As for those predicting the demise of the Panthers' defense on this thread, I don't think so... Tallon and the Panthers will likely pick up Fowler or Gormley in this upcoming draft, and then we'll see how good Wideman can be with a decent defensive partner...
    Posted by RMiller87

he already sated it was just for interesting reading and obviously old, and the panthers D comment was a dig at wideman not some grand point about the panthers. relax!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

In Response to Re: Things to like about Horton : Factor in Michael Ryder's playoff scoring, and he has 319 pts in those six seasons compared to Horton's 295 pts over a similar time span in the NHL.
    Posted by RMiller87

right, considering Horton had how much chance to add playoff points in florida????? o wait thats right, nice try padding stats to make Ryder look better. I dont think Horton will be the second coming but im pretty excited about it. this was a solid move. im glad the B's finally parted with a pick to bring help now, not a hope for help in years to come.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank710. Show Frank710's posts

In Response to Re: Things to like about Horton : Factor in Michael Ryder's playoff scoring, and he has 319 pts in those six seasons compared to Horton's 295 pts over a similar time span in the NHL.
    Posted by RMiller87

Ryder has played more regular season games than Horton in their six seasons and scored fewer points.  How does adding in Ryder's playoff points when Horton hasn't appeared in a playoff game help your argument?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by RMiller87

Wow, that's a stretch.  It's not even a stretch, it's just incorrect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Horton has a lot of talent, but he has never lived up to it. He has never been consistent. His work ethic has not been great. It  better change or this trade is going to be a bad one. He needs a good kick in the rear. If Julien/Neely can motivate him, it may prove to be a good move. Right now, I'm a little upset about giving up the #15 pick. If Horton gets his act together, has a better attitude and scores a bunch of goals, I'll change my mind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Things to like about Horton : Wow, that's a stretch.  It's not even a stretch, it's just incorrect.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

How's that a stretch ?

Both Ryder and Horton have played six seasons...

Ryder has 293 regular season points and 26 playoff points for a total of 319 pts, and Horton has 295 regular season points...

Listen...  The only good reason that I can see for giving up the #15 pick to acquire Horton is to keep him out of the hands of the Blue and White Burkinator...

Let's all make sure that we're on board in seeing that this guy has no chance at improving his team's chances next season... 

I don't really want that guy foiling our shot at another lottery pick in 2011... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Things to like about Horton : How's that a stretch ? Both Ryder and Horton have played six seasons... Ryder has 293 regular season points and 26 playoff points for a total of 319 pts, and Horton has 295 regular season points... Listen...  The only good reason that I can see for giving up the #15 pick to acquire Horton is to keep him out of the hands of the Blue and White Burkinator... Let's all make sure that we're on board in seeing that this guy has no chance at improving his team's chances next season...  I don't really want that guy foiling our shot at another lottery pick in 2011... 
    Posted by RMiller87

I'm not sure if you're at the bar tonight, or if you've just gone off the deep end due to this trade, but it's 100% retarded/stupid/ridiculous/asinine/silly/foolish to use Ryder's playoffs stats to judge him as a player against Horton, who's teams have been so bad, he's never been to the playoffs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

My original comment was "Less points in his [Horton's] six seasons in the NHL than Michael Ryder has had in his six seasons in the NHL..."

Nevertheless, please keep tryin' to disprove that statement of fact...

I find that "interesting." 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In fact, Ryder had 30 goals twice in his career while Horton has only managed this accomplishment once...

Booth and Weiss are also likely stronger linemates than who Ryder has generally played with over his career...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In fact, Ryder had 30 goals twice in his career while Horton has only managed this accomplishment once... Booth and Weiss are also likely stronger linemates than who Ryder has generally played with over his career...
    Posted by RMiller87

In '07-08, Ryder played with Koivu (56 points) and Higgins (52 points) for most of the season.  Magic Mike put up 31 points.

In '07-08, Horton played with David Booth (40 points) and Stephen Weiss (42 points).  Horton posted 62.

For the past two years, Horton has been playing with Weiss as a center.  Ryder has been playing with Krejci.

I'll say Ryder has had better linemates.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

That's looking only at one single season, NAS...

You still haven't disproven my original comment on this thread that seems to trouble you so much...

Nathan Horton has less points in his six seasons in the NHL than Michael Ryder has in his six seasons in the NHL.

Keep trying...

Sections
Shortcuts