Think Burke would take Wheeler?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77Fan. Show 77Fan's posts

Think Burke would take Wheeler?

Honestly, what are we keeping him for? Yes he can make some nice plays now and again, but aside from that... I don't know.
    Burke seems to be the "for the moment" kind of GM (like all Toronto GMs) and has no interest in building for the future. I know we can't get anymore picks from them (thank you very much), but they do have a couple of youngsters who might fit in.
    I know Blake would probably enjoy being with Kessel again, and maybe a role that demanded more of him would do him some good.
    Your thoughts? Maybe Edmonton? Who would be a good trading partner?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Think Burke would take Wheeler?

Im a bit leary on ridding of a young guy who for some reason in year 2 has played poorly. Is it the fact that maybe all yr being shuffled around on lines due to injuries, is it a focus thing ? Hes a big left winger that I thinks will bounce back and be better that his 1st year. His pk is very good, hes being turned into a role player and maybe thats whats wrong. Maybe he needs some sitting time..Again I hate to see him leave when we all know he has great potential.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

One more year for Wheeler.  I keep saying it, remember Boyes.  I had given up on him and then look what happened.  Or maybe like I've said before, maybe he might never come out of it without a change of scenery.  What does Toronto have that we would want?  Seriously.  Wideman has lots of faults, but I find him relatively comparable to Kaberle, true Kaberle is better, but we're talking the same ball park.  I like their rookie (or near rookie) defenseman Gunnarson.  I wouldn't want any of their goalies, not Phaneuf certainly not Komiserak (he is a disease), Kessel is irrelevant because they wouldn't give him up.

So maybe trade Wheeler, but I don't see the Leafs as a destination.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

It is tough. There are days I say trade him for a bag of pucks. But you hate giving up on the possible upside he shows (very occasionally). He's just one of those that you have to give him time. I say 2 more years. If not, someone will pony up to take a chance. Maybe a 3rd rounder, or someone else's Wheeler.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Oh, and Burkie ain't trading with the Bruins unless he thinks that he is fleecing them. He can't afford another bad trade within his division. Rask wasn't his doing, but that probably annoys him and the leafs more than the Kessel trade. At least Kessel is producing. Like him or not, 30 goals is not bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

Yeah, Wheeler is 23, 2 years into his NHL career and solid points and plus/minus.

YearTeamLeagueGPGAPTS+/-PPGPPASHGSHAGWGPIMShotsPCTHits
    2009-10BostonNHL82182038-4351125315911.3270
    2008-09BostonNHL8121244536322134615014.00-
    Give him a bit more time. 

And I don't think Burke will be doing much business of any circumstance with Boston for awhile; he gave up a lot of future potential for Kessel. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wboi92287. Show wboi92287's posts

I say get rid of him. Got plenty of talent in Providence that can match his output or do even better. For some reason I think he is gonna ask for a lot of money this offseason, money that does not reflect his awful play. Besides he is a big kid and is clueless when it comes to hitting people.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Agreed.  I could be wrong but I've seen enough of Wheeler to be willing to move on.  He'll probably want something around 3 mill.  I checked out nhlnumbers.com and Wheelers cap hit this year is listed at 2.8 because of bonus's.  That's already too much for him and I doubt he'll accept a pay cut.  Let the offer sheet come (still not sure they will) or trade him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

In Response to Re: Think Burke would take Wheeler?:
    Yeah, Wheeler is 23, 2 years into his NHL career and solid points and plus/minus. Year Team League GP G A PTS +/- PPG PPA SHG SHA GWG PIM Shots PCT Hits 2009-10 Boston NHL 82 18 20 38 -4 3 5 1 1 2 53 159 11.32 70 2008-09 Boston NHL 81 21 24 45 36 3 2 2 1 3 46 150 14.00 - Give him a bit more time.  And I don't think Burke will be doing much business of any circumstance with Boston for awhile; he gave up a lot of future potential for Kessel. 
    Posted by wil39

That's a crazy stat. A point drop of 7 translates into a a +/- drop off of 40! Shows how much the offence has struggled!

I think he's still finding his game. His style has changed a lot just this year. The start of the year he'd float in off the wing and try to beat guys with skill, then around about the winter classic he was going to the net and getting in shooting lanes. Lately he's been more physical, forechecking a lot more and almost looking like he may fight.

He's started to remind me a lot of Byron Bitz the last few weeks. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing Surprised

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

One more year for Wheeler.  I keep saying it, remember Boyes.  I had given up on him and then look what happened.  Or maybe like I've said before, maybe he might never come out of it without a change of scenery. 
    Posted by BadHabitude

pretty good analysis. Wheeler's future i don't think is set in stone. What is clear is that he is 6'5 220, has great stick handing and skating skills, and he is playing  4th line wing on a team that is desperate for wings. Sadly, it is where he belongs at this point. The annoying part is, when he is demoted, he shows more effort when he is on the ice. He turns in on, for whatever reason, when he feels like he has something to prove.

Kessel behaves like Wheeler,  they play like they are entitled to their ice-time and only when they are deprived of it do they raise their level--as if to prove someone wrong for doubting them.

It's mind boggling that a kid with that much skill is just trying to do as little as possible to go through the motions and not get called out for it. I mean, why is he even working harder now that he is a 4th liner? So he can go back to gliding through the neutral zone and offensive zone like he's wayne gretzky? Kid needs to earn it and he hasn't.

Maybe that's why he chose this organization in the first place. He said all kinds of great things about how Boston was going in the right direction blah blah blah. In retrospect, i think it was attractive to Wheeler because he would never have to take ownership of the team if it struggled--there would be plenty of blame to go around (less pressure). So many times in the season we could have used a more determined Wheeler, and the kid just doesn't seem to wanna step up. Its like he feels that he can play his way and everyone else will just have to deal with it because he's Blake Wheeler.

News flash Blake: You're coming up on three years into the league and you're on the 4th line. You're not that good now, and even if you do bust your rear end from here on out you will have shaved a significant amount of time off your peak production years. How much longer are you willing to wait? What are you even waiting for?

(I should note, he's been good on the PK, which is a solid contribution.. I just don't think being a special teams player was what we all had in mind when we added Wheeler, former #5 overall pick to the squad)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I say wait a while on Wheeler. Lots of new faces will be seen the next few years on the Bruins forward lines (Colborne, Caron, Hall/Seguin). Maybe he clicks with them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

/my guess is he gets a 2 year deal, maybe 3, at about 1.85 per.//

This is what he should get and hope your right PB37! Wheeler and his agent have a history of asking for more. We all know and have complained about PC overpaying and at multiple years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Enough with all the negative crap--- The Bruins are up 2-0 and all some of you bozos can do is complain about Wheeler, Wideman or whoever.  You guys would complain about Bobby Orr for amusement if you could.  Enjoy the fact that with 2 more wins the Bruins will be 1 of only 4 teams left standing.

How long will it take before you guys are bitchin about Hall or Seguin having a bad game for the Bruins?  Most of you all need to get some patience!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

JYaso, this thread was about Wheeler, not about the awesome run the bruins are on.

I, like other people, am not one dimensional. We don't just have one gear, 100% love or 100% hate. People are complex, we are capable of looking at different issues critically.

I love the Bruins and support the team (which is filled with likeable players). Wheeler, however, detracts from the efforts of the team that I cheer for. So I have the right to criticize

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

There is a time and a place for critisism--- this is not the time--- enjoy the moment!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Wasn't Wheeler one of our better shootout guys? For a defensive team that plays a lot of tight games, I think you need a guy like this. But he is also a big body capable of banging it out (if he wanted to, not that he ever does!) I like that he is not afraid to try and attack the goal by putting a move on the D (puck seems to get away from him a lot, but he's the only Bruin trying this regularly.) He's young. I bet he will be a 20+ goal scorer for years to come. What is all that worth? I'd sign him to something like a 6-year 10 million deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

I say try to keep him for next season (possibly a one year deal) and see if his play picks up. If he doesn't, trade him at the deadline. I'm hoping it's a sophomore slump. The kid has a lot of raw talent, but I get the feeling none of the coaches are working with him on developing the skills he has. They're focused on positioning and playing defensive hockey rather than teaching the kid how to use his body to get to the scoring areas and unleash his shot. He seems to have taken shooting lessons from Ryder this season, constantly shooting into the goalie's chest. Make him shoot buckets and buckets of pucks into the top two corners of the goal in full stride. Too soon to give up on him.

If they were going to get rid of him, they should have traded him to Phoenix for Mueller straight up. Phoenix drafted Wheeler originally, and they were trying to get rid of Mueller, maybe they would have wanted Wheeler back. He would have fit into Tippet's defensive system easily. Mueller was lighting it up in Colorado before getting injured. We could have used him here on the PP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

If PC is smart he will offer 1.5 million a year for 3 years or take whatever picks he gets from the team that signs him. I would like to see what Marchand, Caron, Soderberg or Hamill could do next year. I only saw Hamill in that one game but I thought he was impressive and I thought Marchand was a little snakebit in his spot duty. I would love to see Marchand on the 4th line next year, it would be cheap and he's a scrapper, perfect fit.  All Marchand would have to do is score about 8 goals in a full season and he would be an upgrade over the rest of our 4th line players. Does anyone else think he could score 8 goals over a full season?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Next season will be Wheeler's 3rd season. And you can bet the Bruins will be wanting him to produce. If not, I don't think Mr.Wheeler will be a Bruin past trade deadline. If he's packaged up at this years draft, I will be mildly suprized, but not shocked. I will of coarse, hope that the Bruins traded fairly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelyone. Show Steelyone's posts

JYaso, this thread was about Wheeler, not about the awesome run the bruins are on. I, like other people, aren't one dimensional. We don't just have one gear, 100% love or 100% hate. People are complex, we are capable of looking at different issues critically. I love the Bruins and support the team (which is filled with likeable players). Wheeler, however, detracts from the efforts of the team that I cheer for. So I have the right to criticize
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelyone. Show Steelyone's posts

I aren't one dimensional ?  Nice verbage.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

did anyone on the bruins tear it up this regular season? i have a feeling wheeler,s goin to pump in a few goals by the end of this seris & will be in good graces again

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparky1313. Show sparky1313's posts

You guys are ready to give up on him and replace him with players that have the same "possibilities" that he was labeled with 3 years ago. Have patients! Brad Boyes remember? He will not get a big contract because of his output and we need what he brings with the PK. Sign him and trade him at the deadline if the young guns look good enogh.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

blake & # 2 to edmonton for #1.

this guy has flashes, but its almost a guarantee turnover in the offensive zone. he is way too big to be a perimeter player, he needs to go to the net more.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

6 MILL 2 YEARS

OR  HE IS GONE

Sections
Shortcuts