THN's Adam Proteau picks Boston to finish second in the EC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

THN's Adam Proteau picks Boston to finish second in the EC

He picks Washington first, Boston second:

"I know, I know, the Bruins were a big-time letdown for many people last year. But have a gander at their depth – especially at forward – and tell me they shouldn’t be favored to win the Northeast Division and challenge for top spot in the East. They’ve got so many talented players with something to prove – most notably, Nathan Horton, Tyler Seguin, Marc Savard, Milan Lucic and both Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask – that the pressure on any one player shouldn’t be a problem."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/35016-Screen-Shots-Eastern-Conference-predictions.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: THN's Adam Proteau picks Boston to finish second in the EC

The Sabres lose Lydman (Ducks) and Tallinder (Devils) replace them with Morrison and Leopold ? I say the Sabres will be on the outside looking in because if Miller misses anytime the Sabres are cooked even with Ryan all year their defense has taken a step back. Can't put all of the success on Miller plus the Sabres forwards still are small.

Allot of NHL preview predictions have the Lightning in the playoffs this year I don't see it with Ellis and Smith in net. Tampa will score allot and will need too but I still believe their goaltending will ultimately fail.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I would be happy for 3rd in the Conference. We have a shot for 2nd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: THN's Adam Proteau picks Boston to finish second in the EC:
    [QUOTE]The Sabres lose Lydman (Ducks) and Tallinder (Devils) replace them with Morrison and Leopold ? I say the Sabres will be on the outside looking in because if Miller misses anytime the Sabres are cooked even with Ryan all year their defense has taken a step back. Can't put all of the success on Miller plus the Sabres forwards still are small. Allot of NHL preview predictions have the Lightning in the playoffs this year I don't see it with Ellis and Smith in net. Tampa will score allot and will need too but I still believe their goaltending will ultimately fail.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

It's the Yzerman effect. Many in the sports media are bedazzled by the big names. I don't dispute that he's made some good moves, and they might challenge for a spot, but it's far from a given.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The Lightning scare me.  If Chicago can do it with average goaltending, any team can.  Tampa Bay has the same kind of team as Washington. They will not be an easy win again this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Duinne,

Pitt has a solid nucleus and will rebound...I also like the Sens to start strong.  Even Atlanta has improved drastically.  The Flyers also will be better than last year and boost the best D-core possibly in the league. In the East you can bank on Pitt and Washington.  After that its a crap shoot.  The great thing about the B's is that their offense can't be any worse.  So right from there we should improve on last yrs numbers.  I don't see a top 2 finish.  I see us in the middle tier grouping with Ottawa/Tampa/Montreal.  I see NJ/Philly ahead of us at this point.  As for Buffalo...i have learned to never cancel them out...yrs I thought they would stink and they end up near the top.  They have a kid in Myers that is an absolute gem...throw in the best goalie on earth and they have a chance each and every night. 

Should be fun to watch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Shupe, how do you see us anywhere near Montreal ? We will be top 5 at the very worst and Montreal will be lucky to see the playoffs this year. They just got rid of the one guy that got them into the playoffs and kept a goalie that was supposed to be great 3 years ago but isn't. I'd be surprised if Montreal was within 15 points of Boston at seasons end.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Shupe, how do you see us anywhere near Montreal ? We will be top 5 at the very worst and Montreal will be lucky to see the playoffs this year. They just got rid of the one guy that got them into the playoffs and kept a goalie that was supposed to be great 3 years ago but isn't. I'd be surprised if Montreal was within 15 points of Boston at seasons end.
    Posted by Reilly24[/QUOTE]

Montreal was hurt by injuries last year as well and could improve, if Price finally plays to his potential. Buffalo hasn't gotten any better, and unless Miller repeats his great year, I don't see them doing that well. I have no faith in the Sens' goaltending. If the Bruins play to their potential, they win the division and finished in the top five in the conference.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Reilly,

As Duinne pointed out the Habs were hit by injuries as well.  They also had a bunch of guys that never played together.  They got hot at the right time, bought into the system and had a hot goalie.  Price just signed a short term deal and will be playing for his next contract. 

And saying we will be a top 5 at worst is wrong.  Our leading scorer had 23 goals last year...we have brought in some nice pieces to help this...but bottom line is that we win games 3-2 and 2-1...most teams in the East can stay in any game and keep it close....so to say we are a lock for 5 and up is wrong....would you wager you house on that.  I know I wouldnt.

And like I said for Buffalo.  I have been wrong enough to know that any team in the East can make a run...we can likely cancel out Carolina/NYI at this point...but even the Leafs as bad as they are have a top rated defense and a bunch of energy forwards and a goalie that has won a cup.  I would take the leafs defense over our anyday. 

Lets wait and see...hopefully we can find some goals this year...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Yes I would wager my house on that Shupe, Boston WILL win the division. That's a guaranteed 3rd place.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

Traditionally (for the past 3 years anyway) The Hockey News (and I am a subscriber) is an attrocious source of information.  The news printed is dated, ill informed, and slanted to suit their agenda which kowtows to the official NHL position. It forms judgements that are not necessarily based on reality and firmly holds to those positions despite evidence to the contrary.

The last 3 years predictions re the Bruins are a case in point.

Year            B's Predicted finish           Actual B's Finish

2010            1st (East)                      6th
    2009            10th (east)                    1st
    2008            15th (east)                    8th

In 2008, the THN predicted accurately only 2 of the 8 playoff qualifiers.

I will give the THN credit for their "Draft Issue"  as they use the ISS Scouting ratings along side their own ratings and that keeps them fairly balanced. During the rest of the year, their reporting is questionable at best.

The unfortunate thing is that THN is regarded in Canada as an "authority" and is regularly quoted and represented on Hockey Broadcasts. When they get on a bandwagon - all reason goes out of the door. They love the Philadelphia, New York Ranger, Detriot (anything Yzerman) and Wasington franchises, are enamoured with Brian Burke and consider him the oracle of all things hockey (despite his nonexistant sucess in building a franchise - notwithstanding his Stanley Cup with LA which was largely built prior to his arrival). 

The writers used in their "team" reports in many cases are ill informed, and out of date and are not part of the normal main stream  media (Mike Loftus? - for Pete's sake). Loftus was still reporting the B's critical cap space  situation three weeks after Chiarelli said they had relief because of Sturm being on the LTIR - even as every contributor to this site was well aware. In summation, the THN is interesting for one (and only one) informed contributor  - Eric Duhatschek.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Can't count out Carolina, Ward and Cole,Staal healthy. I also like their first draft, Skinner with chemistry could light it up with Staal.  They also have 11M to play with.

Cj has done a lot for this team, but... can he take it further.  I am sick of competing, I want a dominating champion, there is nothing dominating in Cj's demeaner, it is time for a team attitude change and adjustment.

Rolling 4 is just stupixdo.

Get with the program, I don't want to hear this bs about being hard to play against, your sister is hard to play against, I want to hear aaah shiite not those f'n Bruins again.

B's top 3 with no major injuries and I don't mean Sturm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

1. New Jersey, 112 points- Ilya Kovalchuk, Henrik Tallinder, Anton Volchenkov, and Johan Hedberg. Brodeur wont have to play as many games and will be fresher for the playoffs. New coach John Maclean promises more of an up-tempo style, unlike past NJ teams. Barring injuries, I have them 1st in the east.

2. Boston, 105 points- I think the offense gets better. I don't think Rask has a sophomore slump, defense is same as usual, scoring is higher. The competetion in the division as a whole got weaker. I see them at 2nd

3. Washington, 103 points- These playoff frauds no longer play in a cupcake division. They won't be as good as last year, but they are still a good team. In the regular season that is. The new SJ Sharks

4. Philadelphia, 100 points- Possibly the best overall Defense in the league. good young players like Giroux, JVR, Carter, Richards, Zherdev. Can't ever count out a team with Pronger on it.

5. Pittsburgh, 97 points- Crosby still doesn't have legit first line NHL wingers. Guys like Kunitz and Dupuis on the first line just don't cut it. Bottom 2 D pairing is very questionable. They will mis Gonchar's offense

6. Buffalo, 95 points- They still have guys like Miller, Myers, and Vanek. Definately a drop off from last year, but still a playoff team

7. Tampa, 94 points- One of the more improved teams in the East. I expect Hedman to have a great season, and Vinny to bounce back. Still a few pieces away from being a Legit Cup contender

8. Ottawa, 92 points- They seem to have a good coach in Clouston. Another team that can't be underestimated. Hopefully Kovalev and Michalek come back 100%. Goaltending is still shaky

9. Montreal
    10. Atlanta
    11. NYR
    12. Carolina
    13. NYI
    14. Toronto
    15. Florida

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE] Can't count out Carolina, Ward and Cole, Staal healthy.
    adjustment. Rolling 4 is just stupixdo. Get with the program
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

At least stop rolling the 4th line late in periods would be a good place start for that adjustment.

Carolina, Ward and Cole, Staal healthy ? They will contend for a playoff spot. Rutherford does a good job with the budget he is given for sure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

If  Skinner plays with Staal from get go, he will be rookie of year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

San,

You neat me to the punch.  IF Ward and Staal stay healthy.  Cole is a decent player but a season doesnt hinge on him.  If either Staal or Ward go down they are done.  In fact I will put Carolina in the basement of the Divison.  A goalie and a star center can only do so much.  They may hang in there but there are way too many teams that improved.   They werent one of them. 

sso- I think your projections are close.  But I see Pitt and Washtington on top.  Washington may slump in the playoffs, but this team actually got better this off season.  The addition of Carlson and Alzner is a huge plus.  They are also one of the younger teams in the league.  They will only get better if thats at all possible.

Pitt- it doesnt matter who Crosby plays with...lord you and I would score 20 on his line.  Kunitz is a good fit when healthy. Dupi is just a role player.  They are better than last year....they may miss Gonchar...but they added two very good pieces that are much more important than an aging Gonchar.  Their top 4 def are as good as any.

NJ- its hit or miss with that group.  Def is better...offense should be.  But Johnny Mac came from the same NJ system that shut teams down.  I would be shocked if they completely go all offense.  Parise and Kovy are a nice duo...they need to shed cap sapce.

Philly- I agree-  very good....very very good team and in my eyes the best def core in the league.  Lots of depth up front.  They could slide into the top 2.

Buff- agai, I never count them out but losing Myers partner is gonna hurt.  Might drop out on my list.

Tampa- depends on how the new coach does- lots of fire power...defense is better and up front they are stacked. 

Ottawa- underated but aging.  I see them making a deal at some point either trading Spezza or Fisher.  I just don't like the team chem there.  And their goaltending is always in question.  But as you said, very hard to play against.

Montreal- should be better point wise this year.  The team last year was thrown together and they had injuries.  I think Subban really helps the def core and they could surprise again.  They have 2 solid lines and decent def.  Price is playing for his next contract and they have a capible backup...they will bump Buffalo out in my mind.

Its really gonna be a tight race...can\t wait for it to start up

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Couple of points --

Carolina played very well at the end of last season and should contend for a playoff spot if - key if - Ward stays healthy. Back problems can be troublesome.

New Jersey still has salary to shed in the wake of the Kovalchuk signing. Let's see what they do.

The linked column is not the official Hockey News' predictions, just the opinion of one writer who works for the magazine. I'm pretty certain there are wildly varying opinions within their organization.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THN's Adam Proteau picks Boston to finish second in the EC : Montreal was hurt by injuries last year as well and could improve, if Price finally plays to his potential. Buffalo hasn't gotten any better, and unless Miller repeats his great year, I don't see them doing that well. I have no faith in the Sens' goaltending. If the Bruins play to their potential, they win the division and finished in the top five in the conference.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

You mean top4.  Barring no major injuries they win division and either finish 3rd or 2nd if they really come together offensively. 
    Coming from Proteau I can respect.
    Many are predicting Montreal not making the playoffs , I have to disagree, they'll surprise most;  Supan  (here's a guy Bruin fans will learn to hate ) coming in will give them an extra boost with offense coming from the back.  They have pretty good quick, hard working forwards but the big question mark remains Price. 
    Tampa while everyone is praising Steve Y I think they'll be the most improved from last season. Not saying they'll finish top5 ,  they will just be the most improved in the standings .  Good to see another team give the Caps a hard time and this is why I predicted the Pens to finish 1st overall in the conference. The Caps will lose points to Tampa this season.

Sections
Shortcuts