Thomas injury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Thomas injury

I can't recall the date his injury was diagnosed. Can anybody help me with this.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Re: Thomas injury

I cant give you an exact date, but it was announced within a week after game 7 vs philly, which was 5-14-10. He had surgery the 21st, so Im guessing the 17th of may.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas injury:
    [QUOTE]I cant give you an exact date, but it was announced within a week after game 7 vs philly, which was 5-14-10. He had surgery the 21st, so Im guessing the 17th of may.
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE] The only reason I'm asking is this would be significant to when his play dropped off. Thanks SCO,
    I'm sure NAS will find a way to dump on what were talking about. LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

yes im sure NAS will, i for one had no idea until after the series was over, which im sure was the point. imagine the nonsense thrown at Rask if pilly Realized TT was broken?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]yes im sure NAS will, i for one had no idea until after the series was over, which im sure was the point. imagine the nonsense thrown at Rask if pilly Realized TT was broken?
    Posted by BruinsNumber4[/QUOTE]

It does explain why Julien didn't go to Thomas when Rask needed help. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2010/05/23/thomas_has_hip_surgery/

This is the link to the story on his surgery.  The key line is "it was suspected for a while.  He sucked it up."  (I'm sure someone will edit this to just He sucked).

Point one, then, is that Thomas was playing with the injury for some time.  Probably most if not all of the stretch drive and maybe earlier.  I've never seen a date or incident cited as the likely cause of the injury.  Most of what I've seen - and what I know of bad hips - is that it was likely wear and tear exacerbated by something relatively banal.

Point two though is from the story by Fluto some time in July.  Thomas refuses to discuss the connection between the drop in his play and the injury.  Even if you're a TT guy, you have to admit he wasn't as good last year as the year before.  He did more scrambling, let his emotions get the better of him repeatedly, and lost more rebounds than he had.  Those were the three gargoyles on his shoulder when he first joined the Bruins full-time, and it looked like he'd tamed them two years ago.  Time to dig out his training notes.  And good for him not to blame the injury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas injury : It does explain why Julien didn't go to Thomas when Rask needed help. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

It does offer an explanation, but is not definitive.

Anothe explanation is that Julien is a bad coach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

If your looking for excuses as to why the Tank's play dropped from his vezina year, you can't discount his parents health issues.  Many of us want to think that professional athletes are robots and that stressors off the ice should have no bearing on their play.  However that is simply not the case.  Joey Votto of the Cincinnati Reds lost his father a couple of years ago and struggled so much he had to go on the DL and take a stint in the minors.  He received help and is now challenging for the NL MVP and triple crown.  Between his hand, hip, and his parents, it should be no surprise last year was a struggle for Timmy.  A new year awaits, it will be fun to see how things play out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Votto's father died last year, I think.  It would be great if Thomas has a year like the one Votto's had.  What makes this more interesting is that Thomas's struggles last year were more mental and emotional than physical.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Votto's father died last year, I think.  It would be great if Thomas has a year like the one Votto's had.  What makes this more interesting is that Thomas's struggles last year were more mental and emotional than physical.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Very speculative, sir.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Extrapolating from Votto's experience?  Yes.  Definitely very speculative.  The stuff about Thomas's performance issues being more mental and emotional?  I didn't put that into context the way I usually do because I've written it a few times, but the main things I saw last year that made TT look more like the guy who first arrived from Finland than the guy who won the Vezina were a tendency to get too "high" and overplay saves and then to over-think rather than stick to his training.  He won his Vezina in part because he tamped down his issues with puck control by being "quieter" and doing more with positioning. You also didn't see him leave the net wide open to slash Hartnell the way he did in the outdoor game in his Vezina year, and that's the sort of emotional selfishness you saw plenty of last year.

I may still be guilty of seeing a duck bill and a beaver tail and assuming there's a platypus, but Thomas sure looked like a guy whose focus had taken a hit from something other than thinking about the Olympics.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas injury : It does offer an explanation, but is not definitive. Anothe explanation is that Julien is a bad coach.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

That was my assessment at the time.  Well, bad coaching anyway.  Like him or not he is a good coach.  Maybe not great, but good.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The difference between Joey Votto and Tim Thomas is there not the same person so to say "However that is simply not the case" that would be assuming or putting words into Thomas's mouth or mind! People handle adversity and death in their families differently. To compare Votto to Thomas and say Thomas can't use that as an excuse is total BS their two different people.

If Thomas doesn't use the injury or death in his family as an excuse, which I know he won't, that's fine with me. 

Sections
Shortcuts