Thornton vs flyers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochesternybruinfan. Show rochesternybruinfan's posts

Thornton vs flyers?

Just thinking..can u really sit Thornton against the flyers? As we know, the flyers have alot of toughness, dirtyness, whatever u want to call it, in their lineup. I'm not sure, but i think we need Thornton in there. If Stuart were playing we might have gotten away without Thornton but without him i think we need all the toughness we can get.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Re: Thornton vs flyers?

Yes you really can.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

I keep saying I would personally sit Begin. I know he take faceoffs and kills penalties but his decision making is terrible and he can't skate. I'd leave Thornton in but we'll see Saturday I guess.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

every line needs a physical presence.

lucic krechji satan
    sabotka savard ryder
    sturm bergeron recci
    paille wheeler thornton/begin

we sure could use stuart now is right!

gauranteed to get ruff! philadelphia punks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Someone has to sit. It's not going to be a defenceman. Take your pick. Thorton or Begin. I don't know which one, but I do know it will be one of these two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 54BLITZER. Show 54BLITZER's posts

i would sit wheeler!!!!! i believe BLAKE IS GOING TO BE A RESTRICTED FREE AGENT ALL SUMMER INTO TRAINING CAMP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Especially vs. Phliars, I'd sit the non-physical Wheeler. 

This will be a physical series, but it'll likely reflect playoff trend since "the new NHL" went into effect (2006), i.e. very few actual fights.  Bettman has gotten his way, and in so doing has bred a huge part of the passion out of hockey.  It'll still be good, maybe even very good, but it won't be as good as it could be.  And that's a damn shame.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Report from practice at Ristuccia this morning, it looks like Thornton will be in the press box, as he skated with the Black Aces in practice today.  Lines look like this:

Sturm - Bergeron - Recchi

Lucic - Krejci - Satan

Paille - Savard - Ryder

Wheeler - Sobotka - Begin

Chara - Boychuk

Hunwick - Wideman

Ference - McQuaid

Rask
    Thomas

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Wheeler needs to sit.  Him or Sturm.  You can't bench Thornton, he's one of the few Bruins that actually brings a consistent physical presence.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton vs flyers?:
    Report from practice at Ristuccia this morning, it looks like Thornton will be in the press box, as he skated with the Black Aces in practice today.  Lines look like this: Sturm - Bergeron - Recchi Lucic - Krejci - Satan Paille - Savard - Ryder Wheeler - Sobotka - Begin Chara - Boychuk Hunwick - Wideman Ference - McQuaid Rask Thomas
    Posted by beantowngm15

Not comfortable with ST watching -- Flyers licking chops. Wheeler and/or Sturm need a wakeup call (a la Kessel last year).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Carcillo handed Thorton with ease...if Chara and Lucic can't win our battles we are in trouble...Thorton sits!  Begin is a super pest...has a role and will tangle with guys like Richards...Thortons role is enforcer...well we don't need that with Lucic and Chara in there...no I don't want either out of the game...but these fights won't happen in close games...and Asham and Carcillo were skating away from that against the Devils...
    We don't need Thorton...winning games is more important than winning fights...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Sit Wheeler, this is a bad match-up for his "Sandy Moger-style" of play.  If the B's get past the Flyers, sit Thornton against the Pens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Crowls,

Wheeler can contribute...Thornton can't...what advantage does having Thorton in the lineup bring? I truly can't think of any...our team is already starved for goals...we need at least to have guys with some offensive ability...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Sit Wheeler, this is a bad match-up for his "Sandy Moger-style" of play.  If the B's get past the Flyers, sit Thornton against the Pens.
    Posted by Crowls2424

LOL! One more year with Blake for me though.....

Sandy
    1995-9626Boston BruinsNHL 5224-1 

Blake
    2008-0922Boston BruinsNHL 80000         
    2009-1023Boston BruinsNHL 6022-4

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wheeler was throwing his weight around correct but against a very small Sabre team minus Myers. If the usual Blake shows up timid  vs. a very physical Flyers he'll need to sit. Julien will not hesitate if Weeker falls back into his bad habits.

Short leash PB37 very short leash from here on in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Crowls, Wheeler can contribute...Thornton can't...what advantage does having Thorton in the lineup bring? I truly can't think of any...our team is already starved for goals...we need at least to have guys with some offensive ability...
    Posted by shuperman

Wheels and Thorny had the same number of goals in the Buffalo series...0.  Wheels had 2 assists to Thorny's 0, however Wheels was a -4 VS Thorny's -2.  I really don't see all of the offense that we are getting from Wheels.  My point is that you need Thornton around to keep guys like Carcillo and Asham in check, I do not want to lose Chara to one of these idiots like we almost did in the Buffalo series.  Please don't suggest that because Wheels threw a couple of hits in game 6 that he is now a physical presence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tarpouch. Show tarpouch's posts

i would sit wheeler!!!!! i believe BLAKE IS GOING TO BE A RESTRICTED FREE AGENT ALL SUMMER INTO TRAINING CAMP.
    Posted by 54BLITZER

SIT WHEELER! He has been nothing all year. Against Philly you need phisical presents.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

crowls,

if one player is gonna be our entire eliment of physical play we are in trouble...teams buy into the physical game...being physical doesnt mean just fighting...Thorton offers no offense, he can only play on 5 on 5 situations...each round is a new round...

I personally see no need for our guys to fight...if the time comes they can drop em...but we need to win games...our team is built for this type of series...Lucic and Chara can easily handle things should they go south...it won't happen in 1-1 games...it will happen in a blowout or a game that is out of reach...and I have no problem with Chara taking on Pronger...I have problem with Lucic fighting either Asham or Carcillo in a game like this...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

crowls, if one player is gonna be our entire eliment of physical play we are in trouble...teams buy into the physical game...being physical doesnt mean just fighting...Thorton offers no offense, he can only play on 5 on 5 situations...each round is a new round... I personally see no need for our guys to fight...if the time comes they can drop em...but we need to win games...our team is built for this type of series...Lucic and Chara can easily handle things should they go south...it won't happen in 1-1 games...it will happen in a blowout or a game that is out of reach...and I have no problem with Chara taking on Pronger...I have problem with Lucic fighting either Asham or Carcillo in a game like this...
    Posted by shuperman

I agree to a point Shuperman.

But if Thorton sits, the flyers will focus on aggitating Lucic and Chara, along with cheap shots on just about everybody else  and try and draw them into fights.  That is where I think Thorton can be used so that the Bruins don't feel that either of these players have to get into fights and be off the ice for any extended period of time.  Thorton has to step up in his role as enforcer

I actually think Lucic should continue playing like he has and NOT fight (unless the game is essentially over).  He has been very effective in laying the hurt on with hits and working the boards and setting up scoring chances.   Lucic has had a lot of injuries this year and you don't want the kid to go down again because of having to think he needs to fight.

Even more the case with Chara.  Bruins need Chara's 25 or so minutes to win.

For me, I sit out Wheeler and selectively use Thorton.  This is going to be a very physical series, and unlike the Sabres, the Flyers will try and initiate a lot of hitting and goad Bruins into penalties.

P.S.  I'm going out on a limb and look for one of the lesser lights to have a great series.  I looking for Sobokta and his style of play to stand out against the flyers.

And remember you heard it here first.....LOL!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjstock. Show pjstock's posts

In Response to Thornton vs flyers?:  Julien is a Bafoon, of course he will sit Thornton, he almost cost the Bruins the Buffalo series, 1 minute left Buff 4- bruins 1 buff puts out goons , he puts out krejki's line, what happens Chara takes an Instergator for defending himself ,That should have been Thorntons line. u Need toughnees Philly very dirty. Do u expect anyone else to step up  NOT

Just thinking..can u really sit Thornton against the flyers? As we know, the flyers have alot of toughness, dirtyness, whatever u want to call it, in their lineup. I'm not sure, but i think we need Thornton in there. If Stuart were playing we might have gotten away without Thornton but without him i think we need all the toughness we can get.
    Posted by rochesternybruinfan

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Wheeler paired with Sobotka has been a very effective combination. He HAS been throwing his weight around, getting in front of the netiminder and contributing on the PK. Begin is also critical on the PK.

Thornton has been skating less than 10 minutes a game. It's the playoffs. Of course the Flyers will be hitting hard (as will the Bruins), but they'd be stupid to go out of their way to goon it up. They aren't stupid.

If the Bruins absolutely need someone to sacrifice five minutes to a fight, McQuaid is more than capable of doing the job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Thornton vs flyers? :  Julien is a Bafoon, of course he will sit Thornton, he almost cost the Bruins the Buffalo series, 1 minute left Buff 4- bruins 1 buff puts out goons , he puts out krejki's line, what happens Chara takes an Instergator for defending himself ,That should have been Thorntons line. u Need toughnees Philly very dirty. Do u expect anyone else to step up  NOT
    Posted by pjstock

If you learn how to spell, you might be taken more seriously.

If the Flyers are dumb enough to goon it up, great. The Bruins will gladly spend the series on the power play. They did that to great effect against Montreal last year.

BTW, that "Bafoon" led his sixth-ranked team past the third-ranked team, and is, you might recall, the defending Coach of the Year. And do you seriously think Gaustad slashing Chara (what difference did it make what line was on the ice? Does Chara need Thornton to defend him?) with two seconds left in a three-goal game almost cost the Bruins the series? Seriously?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheelhouse46. Show Wheelhouse46's posts

Carcillo handed Thorton with ease...if Chara and Lucic can't win our battles we are in trouble...Thorton sits!  Begin is a super pest...has a role and will tangle with guys like Richards...Thortons role is enforcer...well we don't need that with Lucic and Chara in there...no I don't want either out of the game...but these fights won't happen in close games...and Asham and Carcillo were skating away from that against the Devils... We don't need Thorton...winning games is more important than winning fights...
    Posted by shuperman

Exactly.

The important thing here is that they stay out of the box. The bruins are tough enough to play a hard, chippy series without thronton. Sure, wheeler and sturm dont score goals, but their speed, stick handling, pasing and forechecking skills are far superior to that of thorntons.

Lucic, chara maybe even mcquaid are enough for this series. Stay out of the box, draw some calls, hit them hard, and win.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Wheelhouse thank you for some common sense. Playoff hockey - you don't send out your "tough guy" and sit a skill guy who may not get on the score sheet in round 1, but directly made plays that lead to goals & scoring chances. This round we are facing the Waterboy.. not the '10-'11 Vezina winner. We need a player like Wheeler who does have skills vs. Thornton and his low minutes. I love Thornton, but Wheeler brings much more to the table.
    We are not a weak team, these boys can handle themselves! Philly will take penalties, we need our guys to be smarter and make them pay on the score sheet, playoffs isn't a time to "get even", its a time to put pts on the board and hurt them that way. Play tough, play smart - Win your battles.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Wheeler paired with Sobotka has been a very effective combination. He HAS been throwing his weight around, getting in front of the netiminder and contributing on the PK. Begin is also critical on the PK. Thornton has been skating less than 10 minutes a game. It's the playoffs. Of course the Flyers will be hitting hard (as will the Bruins), but they'd be stupid to go out of their way to goon it up. They aren't stupid. If the Bruins absolutely need someone to sacrifice five minutes to a fight, McQuaid is more than capable of doing the job.
    Posted by duinne

Good point on McQuaid, his being in the lineup helps police the Flyers.  I still don't see what you all see in Wheeler; VS Buffalo, 6GP-0G-2A-2pts with a -4.  So I guess you are concerned that he may not have the worst +/- on the team in the Flyers series?  Aren't we talking about the 4th line here anyway?  Just seems like Thornton will be more effective with 7-8 minutes per game in that 4th-line role.

Sections
Shortcuts