Three's Company in Beantown (Goalie Duel)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Boston GM Peter Chiarelli has a lot of justifying to do when he picks his starting goalie for the 08-09 season. Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez are pencilled into the two big club slots but it's the youngster expected to backstop Providence that has been turning heads.

Tuukka Rask had his first preseason game against the Islanders on tuesday, losing 2-1, but allowing only 2 goals on 38 shots. He followed that up with a win in Detroit tonight weathering a late offensive storm where he clearly saved the win for his squad. He Started in place of Manny Fernandez who injured his thumb in warmup. Rask finished the game with 23 saves, including a last minute pointblank shot by Marian Hossa. The Finnish phenom, who was a first round pick several years ago, was picked up in the deal with Toronto that sent Calder Cup winner Andrew Raycroft to the Toronto Maple Leafs (Maurice's biggest mistake in Toronto). He took Boston's AHL affiliate Providence to the playoffs last season after finishing the regular season in first place, but is expected to spend one more year in the minors devloping his game. Boston has had bad luck rushing young goalies--last time it resulted in disaster: See Hannu Toivonen. This time they wanted to play patiently, and it meant going the opposite route of teams like the Montreal Canadiennes who thrived off of their decision to promote rookie youngster Carey Price as the team's #1.

One must imagine that management does not want to repeat past mistakes. With 4 million dollars tied up in Manny Fernandez, Boston would like for Manny to become the consistent backstop they have lacked since the days of Andy Moog. Fact of the matter is, Manny hasnt even played in a year, and so far since coming off of surgery he has been a rusty shadow of his former Jennings Trophy winning self. It's still far too early to give up on Fernandez at this stage, but given Thomas' excellent play last season, it seems to me that a successful GM with strong scouting would have let Timmy carry the torch last year and pencilled in the rookie phenom for this season; thus eliminating the Fernandez trade altogether. Last but not least we come to All-Star goaltender Timothy Thomas. Thomas gives it all, you have to give him that. He's a man who might never shed his 'flip-flop' style image, and yet has the determination to lead the NHL in GAA and save percentage throughout parts of last season. Due to his inconsistency Thomas should be pegged as a 1a goalie. If he can get back to where he was last year he should be able to push Fernandez for the starting role. The part that worries me most is that he looked like a minor goalie when I watched him play Detroit in Halifax this week. Mind you it was his first game, but Timmy let in two soft shots that made me wince in embarrassment.

If Rask continues his strong play to the end of preseason I cant imagine how Chiarelli will be able to sleep at night. It's a major stitch in his plans if his junior goalie is outplaying his NHL starters. It's still too early to jump the gun, but watch closely as pre-season wraps up because you might see something surprising happen with Boston's goaltending roster.

For more Bruins stuff: rinktorink.blogspot.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucic007. Show lucic007's posts

I agree with most of what you said. Rask is playing very well. MOST likely he'll get brought up if and when Manny or Timmy goes down. Both are injury prone. Rask might steal the show. Its a very real possibility.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MRELD. Show MRELD's posts

Rask is prone to letting in too many soft goals, like he did here last year in the playoffs. Team defense made him look better than I thought he was. Maybe he got better over the summer, time will tell. HE choked in the playoffs against Portland. Let's not give him the "keys to the car" just yet. Let him earn it down here first. I need to see more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Goaltending has been one of this franchises major curses since they traded away Anyd Moog! In the past 15 years they haven't had a solid #1 and they always seem to have a "Young phenom" goalie coming soon, and that guy always seems to fizzle out!

Ranford (second time around)
    Dafoe
    Casey
    Raycroft
    Hannu T
    Carey
    Thomas

Just a short list of the Moog Curse!

I think Rask is showing he deserves a shot, BUT what do you do with Manny and Timmy? Both are in contract years so at least one will be traded before the season ends. There is no way PC lets either walk away without getting something in return like at least a 3-4 round pick.

I think on opening night you will see Manny in Timmy in Boston and Rask in Providence with a Car with its motor running waiting to bring him to Boston before Christmas!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinfan01. Show bruinfan01's posts

[Quote]Rask is prone to letting in too many soft goals, like he did here last year in the playoffs. Team defense made him look better than I thought he was. Maybe he got better over the summer, time will tell. HE choked in the playoffs against Portland. Let's not give him the "keys to the car" just yet. Let him earn it down here first. I need to see more.[/Quote]

the same can be said about the flopping fool, timmy thomas. he's already let in tons of soft goals in the pre-season and it'll only get worse during the regular season. if rask is ready, maybe we can unload thomas on some unsuspecting gm and go from there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

And what about John Blue!!!!!!!!???????????

I was actually one of the first people to start the BLLLLLLUUUUUUEEEEEEEE chant when he played in Providence!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigshow2208. Show bigshow2208's posts

i saw blaine lacher in a bar not to long ago. cant believe he is a former 7th player winner. looked more like barney from the simpson

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Lacher...He's still alive! LOL! Just kidding!

I still remember a game against the Whalers (the year he actually played well) when he totally robbed one of the Whalers on a breakaway with and unbeleiveable blocker save! One of the best saves I have ever seen. Does anyone else remember that?