Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ignaceontario. Show ignaceontario's posts

Re: Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year?

In Response to Re: Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year? : Where was the proof that Thomas was going to do all that suff when the Bruins brought him over from Finland as stop gap measure when realistically he was, at the time a long shot to even have an extended carrer in the NHL as a back up?
    Posted by FP4877[/QUOTE]

i think the 2 years at 10 would have been fine if tim would have refused biron could have helped rask out

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Thomas has been one of the better goalies in the league for the past 3-4 years, and one of the best over the last 2. He's earned his keep from this contract, and doesn't show any signs of not being able to live up to the money. You can look at goalies like Biron and Khabibulin as they fell apart and reclaimed their careers in their twilight years, and they've had an injury history before coming back.
    Right now it looks like a great deal, and it could be that he plays solid all 4 years. It's also possible he falls apart in September and never reclaims the magic.
    As for the duration of the contract while I'm not a fan of the 4th year, people are stupid to think he would not have gotten a 4th or even 5th year if he hit the market, with Khabibulin being a prime example of goalies over 35 who can get a long term contract.
    In summation, Thomas is worth $5 million, end of discussion on that point. As for the duration, wait and see. I think people will be surprised at how long he can be competitive for, given that he hasn't had as much wear and tear as most goalies his age.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

The situations are nowhere near the same.

The Bruins had no prospects in North America, there was no way any free agent was signing here for less than a kings ransom, and the Bruins had nothing but picks to trade to get someone.

Right now there are some quality free agents, and they do have a proven #1 goalie, and they could probably lure someone like Auld back here for two years and 2.25 a year to be backup without a problem. Rask has never had success at a pro level, Thomas won a championship in Europe.

Second, if you toss aside a proven goalie in the NHL for purely cash reasons, especially one who is well liked by the team, capable and a two time all star it makes it harder to bring free agents in in the future (See the majority of the Sinden Era.) and what pressing need could have been filled with the two million differene between say Thomas and Roloson that would also have made up the difference in quality between the two? Roloson's a solid goalie, Thomas is a very good goalie. Roloson is also older than Thomas. Biron is comparable, but has a lot more miles on him and it's of note that good as he is no one has signed him yet. He could end up in the KHL next year.

Sorry, if you don't think Thomas is worth what he's getting you aren't paying attention.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year? : Where was the proof that Thomas was going to do all that suff when the Bruins brought him over from Finland as stop gap measure when realistically he was, at the time a long shot to even have an extended carrer in the NHL as a back up?
    Posted by FP4877[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

[QUOTE]The situations are nowhere near the same. The Bruins had no prospects in North America, there was no way any free agent was signing here for less than a kings ransom, and the Bruins had nothing but picks to trade to get someone. Right now there are some quality free agents, and they do have a proven #1 goalie, and they could probably lure someone like Auld back here for two years and 2.25 a year to be backup without a problem. Rask has never had success at a pro level, Thomas won a championship in Europe. Second, if you toss aside a proven goalie in the NHL for purely cash reasons, especially one who is well liked by the team, capable and a two time all star it makes it harder to bring free agents in in the future (See the majority of the Sinden Era.) and what pressing need could have been filled with the two million differene between say Thomas and Roloson that would also have made up the difference in quality between the two? Roloson's a solid goalie, Thomas is a very good goalie. Roloson is also older than Thomas. Biron is comparable, but has a lot more miles on him and it's of note that good as he is no one has signed him yet. He could end up in the KHL next year. Sorry, if you don't think Thomas is worth what he's getting you aren't paying attention. In Response to Re: Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year? :
    Posted by bandgbleeder[/QUOTE]

Whoa there cowboy. I bet I am just as big a Tim Thomas fan as you and I have no problem with his contract as he has more than deserved it. My point was simply that an unproven goalie in the NHL can put up super numbers when they get their shot like Thomas. Many in the hockey world think that Rask is one of the best goalies not in the NHL and if I recall correctly he was the best goalie in last year's Bruins training camp. Keep them both and Bruins fans should be beaming that we got a quality starter in Thomas and a wicked goalie prospect trying to take Thomas' job and who any GM would love to have in the fold because of his potential to hit the big numbers. Sorry if I hit a nerve and I'm always pay attention when it comes to the Bruins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Sorry, the topic is a hot button. Certain individuals actually believe there are more than a dozen better goalies in the NHL. I've gotten in the habit of slapping them down hard.

And as long as Rask shows he can bring it this year in the NHL while playing limited time I'll be very happy to see him. But going to backup roll, or even a split is going to be a change for him. Going from playing forty to sixty games to twenty to thirty and only once or twice a month is gonna be hard, not to mention the difference in talent level betwen the A and the N.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year? : Whoa there cowboy. I bet I am just as big a Tim Thomas fan as you and I have no problem with his contract as he has more than deserved it. My point was simply that an unproven goalie in the NHL can put up super numbers when they get their shot like Thomas. Many in the hockey world think that Rask is one of the best goalies not in the NHL and if I recall correctly he was the best goalie in last year's Bruins training camp. Keep them both and Bruins fans should be beaming that we got a quality starter in Thomas and a wicked goalie prospect trying to take Thomas' job and who any GM would love to have in the fold because of his potential to hit the big numbers. Sorry if I hit a nerve and I'm always pay attention when it comes to the Bruins.
    Posted by FP4877[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

rask wont see much action so he might as well sit out or demand trade like all the other prospective bruins goalers who can't compete with timmy thomas so they go running away lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThePhantomGourmet. Show ThePhantomGourmet's posts

And with Rask on the bench, the Bruins won't have to worry about playoff hockey cutting into their summer golf time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonfan4ever2010. Show Bostonfan4ever2010's posts

Re: Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year? - resurrected for all who KNEW he was a terrible signing all along

A hot summer day nothing going at work so I thought I would research who knew what when....  I am sure you will recognize yourselves enjoy!  I happened to think it was a good signing at the time.  At the time I was admittedly lacking in understanding the CBA nuances.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

You're wrong about Thomas, Chocolab.  He's had 4 (FOUR) consecutive very good-excellent regular seasons, the first of which led outgoing GM O'C to make one of the best moves he ever made in signing Thomas to a 3-year deal at cheap money.  Thomas is also one of the true leaders on the team; he's in fantastic shape year-round, his work ethic may only be matched by Chara's and being a late bloomer with not as many NHL games under his belt as most other 13-year veterans means he's not as worn down as most other 35-year-old goalies.  When their teammates see Vezina and Norris trophy winners working harder than anyone else, what kind of an effect does that have on the entire club?  Chiarelli was definitely not bidding against himself.  Several NHL clubs would have been happy to pay Thomas $5 million per year for 4 years.  Don't believe me?  Check out all the free agent goalie signings of the past week.  Thomas is better than ALL of them.  Paying guys too much?  How much do you think other clubs would have paid Chara?  At least the same amount as Chiarelli paid him.  Wideman's getting exactly what he should...check our defenseman salary list from the NHLPA.  Or would you rather play Harry Sinden-Hardball, frustrate the player and his teammates beyond belief and wind up with a team of malcontents and low morale?  THEN what you say about B's management Chocolab?   Not to mention you risk losing a player you'd much prefer to keep.  Puck-moving, mobile defensemen don't grow on trees; Wideman's among NHL league leaders in points, plus/minus and minutes played.  Like Chara, Wideman ain't perfect, but relative to other NHL defensemen?  It would be difficult to do much better.  And, as a GM, that IS the crux of the matter .    Murray was untradeable the last year he played (too much salary, declining offense, soft defensively), then he got hurt.  There was nothing Chiarelli or any other GM could have done in that situation.  At the time, Schaefor for Donovan was a more than reasonable trade to make.  Donovan added little offense whileplaying decent D here, but Schaefer averages approx. a 1/2-point per game for his career, while also playing a good 2-way game, so why not make that deal?  It looked good on paper, but EVERY GM makes moves that don't work out.  As things tirned out, both Scaefer and Donovan were waived last season, but most other NHL GM's and scouts wouldn't have predicted that to happen a couple of years ago.   You're quick to complain, how about commenting about all of the good things Chiarelli has done as GM?  He's made many more good moves than bad, which is of coourse the mark of successful NHL general managers.  From last place to second overall in 3 seasons and you're whining about Chiarelli?  Get a grip. 
    Posted by BruinsCountry

1.  35 yr old goalies break down no matter whether they play in Sweden, NHL, KHL, or Beer Leagues. U dont give out contracts that take a goalie to age 40, unless its Brodeur or Roy.
    2. PC didn't sign Chara anyway.
    3. Any success this team has had seems to be in spite of him, not b/c of it. Rask trade (Before PC), Bergeron (BPC), Krejci (BPC), Chara (signed by Gordon).
    4. Last place to 2nd? Any team can do that in todays NHL.
    5. Bottom line- no Eastern Conf finals or Cups, bad cap magmt, bad trades (Seguin was pure luck), no creativity (i.e see Lou L. in NJ), prob too friendly w/ players (no one fears him like Sinden). He's had 5 yrs to get it done and he didn't!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

You guys who continually knock Thomas are as ignorant as the Francona bashers on the Sox forum.  Let's not give him any credit for winning the Vezina or having such a stellar GAA and Save percentage the past couple yrs.  He can make 100 spectacular saves and steal 5 games but the only time the bashers chime in is when he gives up a softy.
    Posted by siestafiesta

True story pink hatters, get back in the closet and wait for the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

You guys who continually knock Thomas are as ignorant as the Francona bashers on the Sox forum.  Let's not give him any credit for winning the Vezina or having such a stellar GAA and Save percentage the past couple yrs.  He can make 100 spectacular saves and steal 5 games but the only time the bashers chime in is when he gives up a softy.

way to simplify things chocolab.  Why does the team even need 18 skaters when their result lays solely with the goalie as you make it seem.  GAA and standings have as much to do with the overall team as it does with the goalie.  Look up Thomas' save percentage the last couple yrs and tell me how many goalies in the NHL's can match his.

Posted by siestafiesta

Here's a perfect example of the typical Tim Thomas fan.

In his first post, he screams about TTs GAA.  When someone points out that TTs GAA really hasnt been all that good compared to others, he immediately goes off about how GAA doesnt mean anything.

Im a TT basher for sure, but mainly because I have never in my 40+ years of playing and coaching goalies, have I ever seen one player flat-out fool people like Tim Thomas.  The guy stuck around because every time the B's tried to use a real goalie, they got hurt or disappeared (Toivonen, Raycroft, Fernandez).  Everyone loves his fuzzy little "the little engine who could" story.  The fact is, he's always been a mediocre backup at best but he's one of those goalies who fools people who know nothing about goaltending because he makes EVERYTHING look hard.

Posters talk about his heart and battling and stuff.  Personally, Id rather have a goalie who doesnt give up goals from center ice in OT (Washington) or from behind the net (Pittsburgh) or for that matter, not talk to the Globe about how unimportant OT is when all he can do is look like an electrified flounder losing OT after OT.

Only pick on him after a softie?  NO goaltender in the NHL... NONE... give up unbelievable soft goals like this stiff, night after night. Even when he has a good game, he gives up a goal a mini mite could stop.  Sure, he makes circus saves... we get it... but his unprofessional style, overacting and mite league rebound control is humiliating as a fan.  I can't stand to watch this clown.

And if I hear about that fluke Vezina one more time.... in a league with Miller, Luongo, Brodeur, Lundqvist play... TT the Tank is nominated (unjustly) against 2 other stiffs who, like Thomas, lost their starting jobs by the following season's end.  An unbelievable joke award.

Timmy looked like quite the star while overacting the easiest saves and standing behind the best D in the NHL that year.... while putting up essentially the same stats as Fernandez (before he got hurt).... even then the team obviously played better with the calm Fernandez than when the Mexican Timmy Bean was jumping around.   What a shock that a raw but super talented kid beat him out a year later, mainly because he had a pro style instead of acting like a street hockey goalie.

$5M per for that aging, "never-was", broken down fraud was the worst contract ever.  I said it then and Ill scream it now... except now people know its true.  The rest of the NHL sure did.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

How can you say Rask is capable of filling the Vezina winners spot? You're saying he's gonna come in and lead the NHL in S% and GAA? He's going to be a goalie that goes out of the crease to drop idiots who take cheap shots at his defensemen? He's going to have a better total S% in shootouts than almost every goalie? He's gonna stand up and night after night turn away more than shots by both percetage and count than any one else? Really? Where's the proof? In Response to Re: Tim Thomas @ 5 mill a year? :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

Uh, he filled the "Vezina winner's spot"  last year when 1. TT lost his job by playing like he had his mask on backwards; and 2. Rask carried the team into the playoffs the final month.

Did you miss that part?

Speaking of missing last year, your second question about "is he gonna lead the NHL in sav % and GAA?"  DID he not actually do that last year as well??  Not sure if he finished second in one of them, but I think you get the point.  You are asking ridiculous questions about Rask... thats he's already accomplished.

If this is your idea of coming down hard on TT bashers, now I know why.  Your love for this guy blinds you into pure delusion.

One more... who's gonna come out of the crease and "drop idiots?'  Are you 12 years old? Do you think thats the goalie's function?  Really???  Did you start watching this game yesterday?  Do you think the 2 times he's hotdogged his team into being shorthanded by pulling that Sunday Night Beer League crap is actually valuable???

Incredible.  Tim Thomas fans are the essence of all things Pink Hat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Uh, Soxfan, you realize your arguing with year-old posts, right?
    I'm done arguing TT with you. It's a waste of time.
    When you mention Toivonen and Raycroft as "real" goalies, it makes me understand your lack of knowledge concerning the ability of goaltenders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I have to agree with one previously posted fact , TT makes EVERY save look hard . Every save is a big adventure , even dump ins . The only reason TT is always on the highlight of the night finalists is because he is so out of position after making a routine save and giving up a huge rebound he has to dive back to cover up a gaping open net . Sometimes he gets to them .