To end the deabte about B's not winning a cup in 35 years...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Since the Bruins last cup winning team (72-73) I counted that only about 14 teams have won the cup in the 35 year time period. With 30 current NHL teams that means that 1/2 the league has not won a cup in the same period as the Bruins...and yes I know not all 30 teams have been around for 35 years.

So Who hasn't won a cup in 35 years besides the Bruins?

Maple Leafs 40 years since
    Current Senators Never in 15 years
    Sabres Never in 38 years
    Capitals Never in 33 years
    Florida Never 13 years
    Atlanta Never in 8 years

Blackhawks been 47 years
    Nashville and Columbus never in like 8 years or so
    Blues Never in 40 years
    Wild -Never in 8 years
    Canucks Never in 38 years
    San Jose Never in 17 years
    Jets/Coyotes 28 years
    LA Kings Never in 40 years

NY Rangers 1 cup in 68 years

Finally, the almighty Montreal Canadiens have gone 11 years without a cup which ties them for the longest drought in their history.

So can we end this discussion...it's not easy (despite what the Red Wings do) to win a cup!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BleacherReport. Show BleacherReport's posts

That is a lazy argument, you can't make an argument like that, you have to do it based on ownership and how many years an ownership went Cupless.

Perfect example are the Bruins itself. Bruins won the Cup in 1972, Jacobs took over in 74-75 No Cup since, hardly a conincidence.

Same with the Red Sox, Patriots & Celtics and countless other teams with new ownerships taking over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymaniya. Show hockeymaniya's posts

Are you saying that all those teams that paulmend mentioned have only had 1 owner?  Also, paul: the Canadiens havent won the cup in 15 years; 1993 was the last cup they won, just wanted to make that point

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Of the teams that existed in 1972, Boston has actually fared better in the last 35 years than most. 8 of the 14 teams that year have never won the Cup, and Boston has made it to the finals more often than any of the non-winners.

California: Franchise folded. No Cup wins (0 Finals appearances)
    St. Louis: No Cup wins (0 Finals appearances)
    Toronto: No Cup wins (0 Finals appearance)
    LA Kings: No Cup wins (1 Finals appearance)
    Chicago: No Cup wins (1 Finals Appearance)
    Buffalo: no Cup wins (2 Finals Appearances)
    Vancouver: No Cup wins (2 Finals Appearances)

Boston: No Cup wins (5 Finals appearances)

NY Rangers: 1 Cup win (in 3 trips to the Finals)
    Pittsburgh: 2 Cup wins (in 3 trips to the Finals)
    Minnesota: 1 Cup win (in Dallas) in 4 trips to the Finals (2 Min / 2 Dal)
    NY Islanders: 4 cups (in 5 finals appearances)
    Detroit: 4 Cups (in 5 trips to the Finals)
    Montreal: 7 Cups (in 8 trips to the Finals)

It really could be a lot worse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[Quote]Chicago: No Cup wins (1 Finals Appearance)
    [/Quote]

Correction: 2 Finals appearances.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michwolverine. Show michwolverine's posts

[Quote]

It really could be a lot worse.

[/Quote]

What is worse then no Cup in 35 years? Oh yeah no Cup in 36 years which is what we can look forward to this year!

Your argument is like saying the 55th person to die on the Titanic had it worse then the 27th person to die on the Titanic. Both outcomes SUCK!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

MY point IS that everyone loves to say, Bruins haven't won a cup because of JJ or Sinden or whatever, but what about all the other teams listed? Who ownes the Leafs? Who ownes the Sabres? Who ownes the Blues? Etc Etc.

THE REASON THEY HAVEN'T WON A CUP IS BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T BEEN GOOD ENOUGH!!!

Like the Blackhawks weren't good enough or the Canucks, Sabres etc that made it to the finals and lost. The Bruins lost a cup to the Edmonton dynasty, lost another to a hot goalie in Randford. Lost at least 1 cup to Super Mario and cheap shot Ulfie.

I see a lot of people complaining about "losing" players because JJ is cheap... who are these players?

Guerin and Allison? They were WAYYYY overpaid by teams over-spending pre lockout. And who's to say the Bruins would have "won a cup" if they kept those 2?

Knuble, Rolston, Nylander and Gonchar were all let go due to bad planning by MOC and co pre lockout...not because JJ was cheap. Also because of that first round Game 7 series loss to the Habs. Remember Big Joe gets hurt and registers Zero points in 7 games. Imagine if Joe T was healthy for that series. Bruins might have made the finals that year.

The funniest thing to me is this...people always say, "Bruins won't win while Jacobs ownes the team"! So if he sells the team they magically start winning cups every year!?!?  What happens if they start to win, does Jacobs visit the team and ask them to lose? Oh wait he must be a curse! Now that folks is the LAZY Excuse!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

If you only like a team because of Cup wins then why in the Lords name are you on this board or ever a Bruins fan in the first place? Thats what boggles my mind.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Mich, I didn't say it was good, you dope. I said that there are teams that have had been even less successful run over the last 35-or-so yars than the Bruins.

Saying that "things could be worse" isn't saying "Well, I'm happy with the way things are", nor is it accepting the lack of championships. It simply states that for all the hard times Bruins fans THINK they've had, I doubt many would trade places with Toronto, St. Louis or Chicago fans?

Would you? I didn't think so.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

i like it Revo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Of course that too many men on the ice penalty in 79, when we had the cup all but won, was JJ fault.  Why was he  down on the bench making sure we did not get a penalty.

This it is all JJ fault is just foolish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlkGold67. Show BlkGold67's posts

[Quote]

Of course that too many men on the ice penalty in 79, when we had the cup all but won, was JJ fault.  Why was he  down on the bench making sure we did not get a penalty.

This it is all JJ fault is just foolish.

[/Quote]

www.sittingduckassetprotection.com/images/bury-head-in-sand-cartoon-crop2.gif" alt="" />

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

No one is laughing at the Bruins anymore and I could name at least 7 teams that would trade places with us in a second....(Florida, Buffalo, Toronto, Atlanta, Columbus, NY Isles, LA Kings)!

If any team could be considered the "Laughing stock" of the league it would have to be the Florida Panthers, IMHO, and many of those other teams could easliy take over that spot long before the Bruins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I think you should add the canucks and the blues to you list Paul.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Yeah that would make 9! LOL! Thanks Orr!

Fact is after the won that game in Ottawa and clinched a playoff appearence I was so proud of this team. Then after that Game 6, I was more happy to still be a faithful Bruins fan than I had been in years! Let's hope we get more moments like that soon!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremontst. Show tremontst's posts

[Quote]Yeah that would make 9! LOL! Thanks Orr!

Fact is after the won that game in Ottawa and clinched a playoff appearence I was so proud of this team. Then after that Game 6, I was more happy to still be a faithful Bruins fan than I had been in years! Let's hope we get more moments like that soon![/Quote]

What a goddamn passive sheep you are wow!

Yay! another 8 seed! hip hip hooray!! I am beaming with pride!!! yaaayyyy!!!!

I bet you wish Bettman would bring back ties so both teams could feel good about themselves after the game.

Go back to watching youth soccer and bringing cut up orange slices for the kiddies instead of watching hockey please.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from guy0677. Show guy0677's posts

I cannot for the life of me understand the people that cannot separate 2008 from the late 1980's and early 1990's.  These are the teams that we "believe" were a player or two away from winning a championship and Jacobs was too cheap to spend the money on that premier forward that would have made the difference.  To me, that is a fair complaint.  Those teams were good enough to make it to the finals, but not good enough to win.  It bears pointing out that the Oilers would have been near impossible to beat no matter who the Bruins had though.  
    But let's wake up and see that in the salary cap era, it is a non-issue.  It doesn't matter if Jacobs or Henry owns the team right now.  They are spending to the cap.  I would like to see some of that money spent differently, but that isn't Jacobs!  The only really bad signing I see is Fernandez and I'm surprised they aren't buying him out.  They could have gone with Thomas and Auld and saved some money while Tukka got another year in Providence under his belt.  
    Arguing about Jacobs NOW is ignorant.  Get over it...it was 20 years ago.  I hated him too, but it is pointless now!
    [Quote]That is a lazy argument, you can't make an argument like that, you have to do it based on ownership and how many years an ownership went Cupless.

Perfect example are the Bruins itself. Bruins won the Cup in 1972, Jacobs took over in 74-75 No Cup since, hardly a conincidence.

Same with the Red Sox, Patriots & Celtics and countless other teams with new ownerships taking over.
    [/Quote]

Sections
Shortcuts