Top 10 most skilled players TSN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN

never seen orr live, did see mario and to this day he was the most skilled...everyone always talks how gretzky 92 goal record will never be broke well lemiuex wouldve broken that maybe 2 times   1st in 1992-93 he had 69 goals in just 60 games  and 2nd in 1988-89 he had 85 goals in 76 games (199 total pts)  wouldve been very close my friends 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN:
    [QUOTE]never seen orr live, did see mario and to this day he was the most skilled...everyone always talks how gretzky 92 goal record will never be broke well lemiuex wouldve broken that maybe 2 times   1st in 1992-93 he had 69 goals in just 60 games  and 2nd in 1988-89 he had 85 goals in 76 games (199 total pts)  wouldve been very close my friends 
    Posted by bruins8[/QUOTE]

I get your point, but I think there's a big difference between what happened and what should've happened, it is what it is...

I gotta go Orr or Gretzky and I pick Orr...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

It's difficult to compare players from different eras but I think its Orr by a nose over the Great One and Super Mario.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

<groan />

I've listed particular skills that Orr had that I have not seen since zillions of time already.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

When a player redefines the way a position is played for generations to come long after him as Bobby Orr did, then he, IMO, is the most skilled of all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]When a player redefines the way a position is played for generations to come long after him as Bobby Orr did, then he, IMO, is the most skilled of all.
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario[/QUOTE]

If this were true, would Ron Hextall tie for first?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

that list isn't the "top 10 greatest players of all time," its the most talented, and I think that TSN did an excellent job with that list. Mario deserves to be at the top, and I don't think there is anyone really close to him in terms of talent. This wasn't about controlling the game in all three zones, it was about speed, creative moves, and quick wrist shots. Notice that Kovalev was fourth on the list, and I don't think he would ever be accused of controlling the game in all three zones.

Now, on the whole Orr vs Gretzky thing. I get that Orr revolutionized his position, and it is valid that he controlled the game in all ways possible, but if Gretzky never scored a goal in his career he would still have the record for career points. He also has the career record for goals, and points per game. His intelligence on the ice is just so unparalleled that I can't really think that anyone can say that he wasn't the greatest player of all time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Put 5 Orrs on the ice against 5 Gretzkys or Marios - guess who wins every time?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peanator. Show Peanator's posts

[QUOTE]Put 5 Orrs on the ice against 5 Gretzkys or Marios - guess who wins every time?
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

Yes ! And with 5 Orrs, we don't need to have a goalie !  : )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Does this really matter ?

Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky are all long retired.

Crosby is the most skilled player in the game today

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : If this were true, would Ron Hextall tie for first?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

No.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : If this were true, would Ron Hextall tie for first?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Ron Hextall was just a Billy Smith wannabe if you ask me.

In reality, he couldn't have carried Smith's jockstrap though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Does this really matter ? Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky are all long retired. Crosby is the most skilled player in the game today
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

Two of the players on the list are still playing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianBruin. Show CanadianBruin's posts

NOT-A-SHOT you are a deusch bag

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

crosby is not as good as lemiuex, lemiuex was the most skilled player in nhl history, i once saw him go 1 on 1 with ray bourque (in his prime) and go by him clean only time i ever seen 77 get beat 1 0n 1....you can argue orr, gretzky, lemiuex whos #1 but 1 game for the cup id take 66 he was tall and dominate rare breed...what a pleasure to watch if injuries didnt take there toll he couldve broken every gretzky mark

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : Two of the players on the list are still playing. http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip332775#clip332775
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Rhetorical question.

What relevance does individual skill have in a team game ?

Alexei Kovalev might be one of the most individually talented players that I have ever seen.

Team player ?

Orr was the best ever, of course.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I still say...

1. If it were possible to have all these guys on the ice, at the same time, and at their prime, the only time Bobby Orr would not have the puck is when he didn't want it or needed a bit of a rest.

2. If you had a power play unit put together with these guys, Bobby Orr would be the one directing play and commanding the action.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]NOT-A-SHOT you are a deusch bag
    Posted by CanadianBruin[/QUOTE]

He is well aware of this fact ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

One more thought...

If Bobby Orr had played as a forward, how many scoring titles would he have won? Many.

If Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Gordie or Jesus Christ had played as a defenseman, how many scoring titles would they have won? NONE!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

One final thought....

Bobby Orr did all this on one leg. Imagine if his knees were not a problem? His career was finished at 26, and missed games totalling another two years. So technically, he played to 24.

Add up the totals of the Lemieux, Gretzky etc. to age 24, and see how they pale in comparison to The Greatest One Ever.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]crosby is not as good as lemiuex, lemiuex was the most skilled player in nhl history, i once saw him go 1 on 1 with ray bourque (in his prime) and go by him clean only time i ever seen 77 get beat 1 0n 1....you can argue orr, gretzky, lemiuex whos #1 but 1 game for the cup id take 66 he was tall and dominate rare breed...what a pleasure to watch if injuries didnt take there toll he couldve broken every gretzky mark
    Posted by bruins8[/QUOTE]

I believe everyone has seen that goal, but it wasn't #77 who got beat.  It was #7.

Mario had plenty of chances to score 50 in 39 games.  He failed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NOT-A-SHOT you are a deusch bag
    Posted by CanadianBruin[/QUOTE]

The fact that you can't spell a common word doesn't do much much to support your opinion.

LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE] Now, on the whole Orr vs Gretzky thing. I get that Orr revolutionized his position, and it is valid that he controlled the game in all ways possible, but if Gretzky never scored a goal in his career he would still have the record for career points. He also has the career record for goals, and points per game. His intelligence on the ice is just so unparalleled that I can't really think that anyone can say that he wasn't the greatest player of all time.
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

Orr was the Greatest Skater Ever To play

Mario was the most Naturally Gifted to ever play

And Gretzky was the Smartest to ever play

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

I like what rockett7 comment was that to me sums it up but overall Orr was a natural, he was smart and compare skating he was faster. Bobby was not a whiner like the Great One but had injury whoes like Super Mario. Orr can kill a penalty by himself back in the seventies if he was around today it would be more difficult to hold on to the puck as long Orr did. If he would of not been shorten in his career who knows what feats he could of completed. Hockey has change since the Orr days but Orr was the one who change hockey to what is today. if Gretzky and Lemieux were playing in the seventies with their style and talent who knows what they could of done. The holds and clutch and grabs were more fair game back then which probably would of slow down the two. This will always be a conversation and debate till the I'm gone. Who knows 20 years from now what hockey will be like?????????? hopefully I will be retired and be able to see future hockey.

(1) Bobby Orr
    (2) Super Mario
    (3) The Great One

Sections
Shortcuts