Top 10 most skilled players TSN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN

In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN:[QUOTE]The skills are: Skating, speed, puckhandling, passing, shooting, and checking. Period. There is nothing else involved. When comparing all the players under this criteria, Orr comes out on top in each category. If he doesn't you are letting other factors into your consideration.Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

^This!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : I never stated that if a career is longer then the player is better.  That's something that you created from something I posted and then went on a big rant about.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

The intent was not to go on a so called rant or to suggest that you created something out of nothing . It was just expressing my opinion on how I think a career should be measured at . I thought I was being cordial enough with you but if you want to go back to how we communicated before than so be it . If you want to post like a pr#ck then you know I can too ( and I will ). It's your choice .

Again I will repeat this . You misinterpreted the intentions of my post. It wasn't meant as an attack on you. I agree with most of your posts but does it have to be everything for us to get along ? I didn't have the same views as you on this and I think you overreacted to what I posted.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : The intent was not to go on a so called rant or to suggest that you created something out of nothing . It was just expressing my opinion on how I think a career should be measured at . I thought I was being cordial enough with you but if you want to go back to how we communicated before than so be it . If you want to post like a pr#ck then you know I can too ( and I will ). It's your choice . Again I will repeat this . You misinterpreted the intentions of my post. It wasn't meant as an attack on you. I agree with most of your posts but does it have to be everything for us to get along ? I didn't have the same views as you on this and I think you overreacted to what I posted.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Yes, you must agree with NAS as he is the smartest person EVER and is never wrong. To disagree s to offend. A legend in his own mind you might say.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : In Edmonton, he had one Mark Messier to help him, don't forget. And they won 4 Cups. After leaving Edmonton:  Gretzky - zero Cups; Messier - 2. Do you call that domination?
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

hockey is a team oriented sport, one player does not win a championship alone, gretzky 2857 points 1st all time.

Gordie Howe 1850 points

54% margin from first to second, you find me a desparity like that any where else in sports and we'll tak..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]There is too much name-calling in this post. We don't need it. As I said before, this post has me agitated. Everyone is running off on different tangents. The post says "skilled", not "best ever", not "most points", not "who played the longest". The skills are: Skating, speed, puckhandling, passing, shooting, and checking. Period. There is nothing else involved. When comparing all the players under this criteria, Orr comes out on top in each category. If he doesn't you are letting other factors into your consideration.

your wrong, clearly there are other things invovled sorry your agitated that not everyone will just concede to your opinion but if you look at your catagories and say these are the only catagories that define a players talent I would argue there are other guys who will be ahead of all 3 in some, I would argue gretzky might not be in the top 10 in any.. So according to your theory hes not even in the top 10 most talented players in history now?  Or at some point is it ok to look at numbers and realize this guy simply has to be one of the best ever, if not the best regardless of how he did it?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : what a a#$hole!
    Posted by petermind[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sometimes for sure. Posts some good stuff too, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : your wrong, clearly there are other things invovled sorry your agitated that not everyone will just concede to your opinion but if you look at your catagories and say these are the only catagories that define a players talent I would argue there are other guys who will be ahead of all 3 in some, I would argue gretzky might not be in the top 10 in any.. So according to your theory hes not even in the top 10 most talented players in history now?  Or at some point is it ok to look at numbers and realize this guy simply has to be one of the best ever, if not the best regardless of how he did it?
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Here we go again with the "most points" and "best ever".

The most skilled player doesn't always score the most points, just like the most skilled actor doesn't always win the Oscar. The most skilled musician doesn't sell the most records and so an and so on.

Do we get it yet or not?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : Here we go again with the "most points" and "best ever". The most skilled player doesn't always score the most points, just like the most skilled actor doesn't always win the Oscar. The most skilled musician doesn't sell the most records and so an and so on. Do we get it yet or not?

I dont think you do, you can not put up the points that gretzky did with out being one of the most skilled players in the history of the league, i dont think anyone is going to argue that aside from you, and yet based on your catagories, he would only be in the top 10 in one of those I am guessing, and if you work out some point system as to how each measures up, he would not be in the top 10.

So like i said there is more to it then just your 5-6 catagories.. Do you really want to say gretkzy based on his talent level is not even in the top 10-20 players in terms  of "talent" in the history of the league? cause that is the arguement you are making.

Like it or not vision, intelligence, and production are also a measure of talent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I am a man of great loyalty, if nothing else. Therefore, the greatest hockey player of all time is Felix Potvin. Please do not attack me. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : I dont think you do, you can not put up the points that gretzky did with out being one of the most skilled players in the history of the league, i dont think anyone is going to argue that aside from you, and yet based on your catagories, he would only be in the top 10 in one of those I am guessing, and if you work out some point system as to how each measures up, he would not be in the top 10. So like i said there is more to it then just your 5-6 catagories.. Do you really want to say gretkzy based on his talent level is not even in the top 10-20 players in terms  of "talent" in the history of the league? cause that is the arguement you are making. Like it or not vision, intelligence, and production are also a measure of talent.

There it is: Gretzky not in the top 10. Therefore, not the most skilled.
    Vision and intelligence would be a sub-category of puckhandling. There is no category for production - that is a different matter altogether, and is based, for the most part, on the talent that surrounds a particular player. Better teammates, better production. Worse teammates, worse production.

In other words: If I'm the greatest passer in the world and have Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita as my linemates one year, and then have Daniel Paille and Blake Wheeler the next; which year do you think I'll lead the league in assists?

Does this make any sense?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : There it is: Gretzky not in the top 10. Therefore, not the most skilled. Vision and intelligence would be a sub-category of puckhandling. There is no category for production - that is a different matter altogether, and is based, for the most part, on the talent that surrounds a particular player. Better teammates, better production. Worse teammates, worse production. In other words: If I'm the greatest passer in the world and have Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita as my linemates one year, and then have Daniel Paille and Blake Wheeler the next; which year do you think I'll lead the league in assists? Does this make any sense?

Intelligence would not be a sub catagory of puck handling, and its starting to look like its not your strong point either.. so the most productive player in the history of sports is not even in the top ten in terms of talent in his own sport in your (please read this) opinion..  You don't seem to realize your not even talking about skill as much as physical ability.

You are failing to realize this is an unmeasurable quality that can not be quantified, but to think it exist independlty of statistical data is stupid. Tiger woods is the worlds be golfer, there is not even a close second, in terms of scoring average he is the leader (think points here) and yet in terms of driving accuracy, putting, driving distance, GIR etc..he isnt in the top spot in any.. so clearly he is not the most talented golfer?

And you realize this is a team sport, so maybe vision, and passing and intelligence,  should weigh far higher then say skating and shooting.. I mean you say Orr was a better passed then gretzky, and yet in gretz's best season he had 163A and in Orr's best season he only had 102?? 

Gretzky is clearly a more talented player then kessel, but I don't know that he would beat him in a game of one on one..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

and besides you highlighting the name gretzky and then half of a sentence? what does that even show??  since the first half of that sentence is basically saying "according to you"

Why don't you find some people to agree with you that gretzky isn't in the top 10 in the league in talent, based on your un measurable qualities, as well as people willing to go with oh yeah, and production doesnt carry any weight, and intelliegence is only a sub catagory..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]I am a man of great loyalty, if nothing else. Therefore, the greatest hockey player of all time is Felix Potvin. Please do not attack me. 
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

Loyalty is a good thing, man. You related to the Cat or something?
    He was a hell of a goalie in his prime.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : Yes, you must agree with NAS as he is the smartest person EVER and is never wrong. To disagree s to offend. A legend in his own mind you might say.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

Most mentioned in this thread:

Orr
    Lemieux
    Gretzky
    NAS

Nice!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]and besides you highlighting the name gretzky and then half of a sentence? what does that even show??  since the first half of that sentence is basically saying "according to you" Why don't you find some people to agree with you that gretzky isn't in the top 10 in the league in talent, based on your un measurable qualities, as well as people willing to go with oh yeah, and production doesnt carry any weight, and intelliegence is only a sub catagory..

In which of my posts did I rank Gretzky not in the top 10? Please let me know.

And I don't appreciate your inference on my intelligence. Thank your stars that you are a Bruin fan.

Don't try to convince me of anything about Gretzky. He is a Bruin hater. He conieved with the Edmonton journalists that voted for the MVP in 1990 not to give a first place vote to Ray Bourque so that Mark Messier would win. And that is what happened. There are other instances. He doesn't even like Bobby Orr, never mentions him at any events. Howe, yes; Orr, no.

Yeah, Gretzky is a great player, just don't put me in the same room as him - and you too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

the question states most skilled  Mario Lemiuex hands down...big man with the most skill you probably will ever see

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

[QUOTE]Hahahahaha! This is funny stuff here.  I'm sure if I went to a Penguins forum, I'd see Lemieux at the top of all the posts there.  If I went to an Oilers board, all the votes would go to Gretzky, of course.  If I went to a Canadiens group, I'd see Rocket Richard (Guy LaFleur?) on top of the lists there.  A Red Wings group might have Gordie Howe or Yzerman leading the way.  And on and on and on and on.... Posted by BlueEyedGuy[/QUOTE]

o sure, because obviously you can only consider talking about Bobby Orr as the greatest Hockey player ever, when your on a Boston Bruins site. Not as if he has Accomplishments Recognized by non Bruin fans, real Homer stuff here, really.

You might have a point if this was a Patriots/Tom Brady thread etc, but some things rise above home town fandom, and Bobby Orr is one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

2 of my brothers, a Hab fan and a Ranger fan, and 3 other buddies 2 Habs and a Bruin fan, went to a Bruins exhibition game Sept 21, 1969 in Ottawa. It was a fight filled affair in which Wayne Maki(Stl Blues) hit Ted Green(Bruins) over the head with his stick, deemed as one of the most vicious attacks in league history.  The B's were shorthanded the 3rd period of which Orr played most of. The B's lost the game 5-0, Orr was named the first star.

All above noted, it was the sweetest thing in the world to watch, a preseason game played to the tempo that few stanley cup games ever have been. Orr ragged the puck all through the 3rd to steady standing O's on his play.

It is not a game talked about much and less than 10K, probably closer to 5k watched the game live, because it was a non televised preseason game in a non NHL rink. There is footage, I have yet to see the game televised and doubt that it ever will be, but it is a game despite the gore, that I wished I hadn't missed.

Had that been Gret or Lem, both would have been hurried to the dressing rooms since it meant nothing.  It meant something to the Bruins, it was the start of a season in which the B's stood together and went all the way to the cup and beat the St.Louis Blues(3rd straight year in finals) 4-0 with Orr scoring the winner and again being the Star, scoring the GWG and being named the MVP.

No player had ever had a complete season like it as a D scored 33G and 120 Points with 9G 20 Pts in 14 Playoff games.  He aslo had 125 minutes in penalties do not know the amount of fights but there were a few.  He completely dominated the preseason game, the season and playoffs and not just by scoring points. He scored more points more goals in other seasons but that was his defining season and no player has ever matched that season.

No way Grets or Lem were that player.

No name has ever been as awe inspiring when announced even...

#4 Bobby Orr!!!

THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : In which of my posts did I rank Gretzky not in the top 10? Please let me know. And I don't appreciate your inference on my intelligence. Thank your stars that you are a Bruin fan. Don't try to convince me of anything about Gretzky. He is a Bruin hater. He conieved with the Edmonton journalists that voted for the MVP in 1990 not to give a first place vote to Ray Bourque so that Mark Messier would win. And that is what happened. There are other instances. He doesn't even like Bobby Orr, never mentions him at any events. Howe, yes; Orr, no. Yeah, Gretzky is a great player, just don't put me in the same room as him - and you too.

You never said he wasnt, but using your measure of talent skating, shooting puck handling, passing etc.. I doubt based on the measures you listed  he would be in the top ten in terms of talent, especially since in your mind intelliegence is only a sub catagory of puck handling..

And your right I shouldnt have made the remark on your intelligence.  My point was if you use your defining catagories to establish skill, gretzky would not be in the top 10, and to think that the  player who dominated scoring the way he did could be outside the top ten (based on your catagories, which your getting upset that people are not adhering to and surrending that orr is the most talented player ever) is pretty absurd dont you think? i mean outside of passing I think its pretty easy to come up with atleast 10 players ahead of him in all of those catagories.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : Are you NAS & Bergeron married !?!? You three boneheads seem to agree on everything! You three deserve each other.
    Posted by petermind[/QUOTE]

Strickly as an observer of the words spouted on here, those three do not agree with each other.  Mostly disagree.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I stopped looking at that list after I saw Kovalev at 4...

That's absurd...

I understand he is very talented, but 4th most skilled player in the history of the NHL?

I bet even he'd laugh if he heard that...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : Most mentioned in this thread: Orr Lemieux Gretzky NAS Nice!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Three for all the right reasons while the last one for all the wrong.