Trade Chara & go young?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Trade Chara & go young?

I like Chara, really I do. Alot. But I am convinced that this team is not even close to winning a cup and don't have the cap fexibility to add the neccessary pieces (Note the plural there) and not enough impact coming from the minors in the next season or two (or 3). The Bs are not winning a cup with him in the next couple of years o I think it's worth seeing what some teams might give for the big man. The Bs might be able to pry some great young talent from some other organization that believes it is one impact player away from contending for the cup. This frees up over 7 million next year.

Yes, I am saying rebuild. Keep your best youngsters, (Bergeron, Krejci, Rask, Lucic, Wheeler, Colborne, etc.) add to it with the Chara trade and the Toronto picks (along with our own) and watch the development over the next 2-3 years. Providing the Bs hit on the higher draft picks this team could be making a run at Lord Stanley's spitoon instead of languishing on the fringe from time to time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Re: Trade Chara & go young?

Trade chara? That would take sand bagging to a new level.
    The bruins are a couple of players away from being contenders and you suggest they start over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espo72. Show Espo72's posts

A couple of players from being contenders? Unless those players are Crosby and Ove, we're no where near. Walktheline, I think you're on to something there. Like I said in another post, Chara looks like the reincarnation of Hal Gill this year. His effort in the Ottawa game yesterday was pathetic to say the least so why not see what's out there in a trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

In the next 10 games if they continue to fall more below he 8th seed I wouldnt mind seeing a total fire sale Chara, Thomas, Savy, Sturm, any vets, Thomas and Chara and Savy would be worth a lot of young talent be it picks or prospects. Make Tuuka the starter. I dont wana see a chara or elite player traded if all we get back is a bag of pucks like we got for bourque and thorton.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

The worst thing that ever happened to Chara was winning the Norris.  Now he thinks he is Nicklas Lidstrom, instead of playing like a beast.  Watch teams run at him now, he doesn't intimidate anyone. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nflpasser. Show nflpasser's posts

CoolLet the bruins drop out of the 8th spot.  Then they won't have to trade anyone.  Maybe if their really lucky they will get 2 top ten picks.  With the talent they have right now in a couple of years the'll have lord Stanley in their pocket.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I agree with walktheline.  I know Chara is a good player probably just having a bad year but if you can get a you D or 2 or a young promising D that can play right away and a promising offensive guy i would do it.  I think Chara is a bit slow for the New NHL and i have previously said on another group on facebook that the Bruins would never win a playoff round if Chara is their top defensemen.  Of course the Bs have won a round last year but the Habs had their AHL team on they ice.  Does that really counts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

We can trade Chara and Wideman to PHX. for  D men Vandermeer,Yandle and 2nd pick

Boychuk Morris
    Vandermeer Yandle
    Hunwick Stuart
    Mcquaid

Then go pick Whitney from CAR. for Ryder
    Healthy Bruins Line Up after the Break
    Lucic Savard  Whitney
    Wheels Krejci Satan
    Paille Berg. Rechhi
    Thornton Begin Bitz

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJJustSell. Show JJJustSell's posts

couldn't agree more...not a captain not a leader...surely if this traded thornton there is no reason why Lig Lurch is not tradeable

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Only on here do I read or here that the bruins should drop everything and start over....LOL
    Thank God PC isn't as trigger happy as some of the poster on here or the bruins would be rebuilding 2 or 3 times a year.
    Some changes need to be made, (drop some dead weight) and bring in some offence. But moving the leaques top shut down D man who's good for 45-50 points is not the answer. Signing him to a multy year deal would be a good start.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

You can't pay 7.5 mill for an underachieving Dman, and expect to have cap room for elite offensive players. This team is screwed because of big contracts that have been poorly distributed. Almost 12 Mill for 2 dmen?

Chara 7.5
    Wideman 4
    Ryder 4
    Bergeron yes Bergeron almost 6 next year (4 Mill would be acceptable)

22 MILLION FOR WHAT??? Malikn and Crosby get 3 mill less than that -

If you want to restructure, then these are the contracts that need to be addressed...If not, don't expect any dramatic changes any time soon because due to these commitments there's no room for flexibilty 

nice job pete!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

chara is at an age where a contract could be signed for say 6 or7 years and the last couple at a half mil. or so and that would bring the cap hit much lower (see Savard).

Wideman and Ryder are the dead weight I was talking about, and bergerons cap hit is under 5 mil. (who cares what he's pocketing) I agree to high for the production, but after the major concussion it's probably a miracle he is even playing.
     I enjoy reading your posts JW, but comparing 4 salary's to 2 is a little pointless don't you think?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Unfortunately pauly, you can't just "drop some dead weight" in today's NHL.
    And you and chara's mother are the only two people who believe he is the league's top shut down D man. Keep him if you can resign him after next year for a reasonable amount, otherwise he will bring more in value than he will ever provide in his next contract.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

I agree with trading him  Last year all went well.  This year the injury bug has hit big time.  

trade chara and g young.  keep all the draft picks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

maybe in todays NHL & salary cap BS over 7 mill is just to much to pay anybody besides a bonafide superstar.....chara from the redline in is a terrific defenseman his job night after night is to shutdown the others teams best people....maybe the hardest job on the team & he does it quite well....the B,s do have a low goals against cause of this & the defensive system that is sacrifice offense for defense....i think there are others on the team that could be dealt without much of a burp then chara.....but if it helps the team,helps the cap issue & you get great value for him,oh well....chara as a capt is a failure or his restraints that CJ have put on him have pared his ability to react as a capt should

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINS. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINS's posts

if ever the BRUINS trade Chara they better get an elite player for him, here is the results of a survey conducted in Montreal about a month ago for the most intimidating player in the NHL

no.1  Milan
    no.2  Zdeno
    no.3  Pronger

Chara for Kovalchuk ok

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Yeh all hype about Chara...Whitney made him look like a fool tonight, and it's not the first time this year-Del Zotto and there were others...Sorry, but for 7.5 and the "C' on his jersey you should be getting better return on that kind of investment. If he wasn't 6'9" he be getting half as much dollars -

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

If you get a promising young D who is already playing plus a pick or something i personally would go for it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

If your going to make 7 mill a season, then you have to earn that salary. Again, like I asked about Wideman, is Chara hurt too ? He's playing sleepy, dopey and most likely sneezy, all at the same time. He seems disinterested. Is this the coach's fault ? Something has to change.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

I love the B's, but I think its time to really start rebuilding. Look at teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago. They traded all the Vets for picks and prospects and look at them now. Yes it took 3 or 4 years, but thats part of the deal. If we can trade Chara. Morris, Wideman for other younger Defensemen + picks this year and next. Trade Sturm, Thomas after you tell them they are no longer in the plans and their playing time is going to be reduced they will agree to waive the no trade clauses. Also Trade Ryder, Bitz, Thornton ( I do like him, Just think we need a younger, Taller and a real goon.) So heres my list of players to trade:

Chara
    Morris
    Wideman
    Thomas
    Sturm
    Ryder
    Thomas
    Begin
    Recchi
    Hunwick
    Ference

I think by trading these players the B's could get a very good bunch of players that are young but will compete every night. Also we get lots of salary cap space. Yes lots of you will not want this to happen but its the way i feel. I mean with this team we have now and some small pieces we might get thru trades, it still wont be enought to make us cup contenders. I say this cause others teams out there Like Chicago Pittsburgh, Washington San Jose will do whatever it takes to get that one piece they need to make it. When Boston always just makes the small piece trades to make us happy.

Sorry guys but its the way i feel at this moment. Also my opinion

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

pauly1
    "chara is at an age where a contract could be signed for say 6 or7 years" "(see Savard)"

Until what age do you think a hockey player can perform??? Chara 32 will have 34 years old at the end of his current contract. And he`s already beginning to slow down. And you want to sign him for another 6 or 7 years. Oh boy! 

Here a call from the earth planet. You hear me ?
    The average age of NHL players is 28.5 years old. Thus at his best at about 29-30. The two last year in part because of his experience. That is to say, he starts to slow down in speed at 27 years old.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Chara has one more year to go on his contract.  If the B's don't intend to re-sign him and because the current season is obviously lost, I agree with WalkTheLine.  Trading Chara wouldn't mean blowing up the Bruins.  It would mean they're committing to getting a few more good young players here.

Pauly, sometimes you make tons of sense, but other times..."The bruins are a couple of players away from being contenders...".  How do you define "couple"?

My definition?  The B's are 2-3 forwards and 2-3 defensemen away from being a legit Top-4 Cup contender.  Rask and Thomas are fine, with Rask likely taking over as #1 sometime next season and Thomas then being traded.  Yes, plenty of clubs would like to have him.

Sections
Shortcuts