Trade Chara? No way...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

Trade Chara? No way...

I've been reading these boards for 3 weeks and I haven't seen one good reason to trade Chara besides "cap hit". Can someone please give me some good reasons? Keep in mind, he had a broken pinky since November.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

Re: Trade Chara? No way...

I like what you could still get in return for the guy - presumably. I don't like the Bruins chances of resigning him. I doubt they win the cup this year, so get what you can for him, which I would think would be a bundle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way...:
    I like what you could still get in return for the guy - presumably. I don't  like the Bruins chances of resigning him. I doubt they win the cup this year, so get what you can for him, which I would think would be a bundle.
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

The Bruins don't have any true number 1 d-men. Boychuck and Seidenberg are good when they play with Chara. What kind of big intimidating d-man can you get in return? I think if he was healthy and could hit and fight and shoot, intimidation would have played a big factor in home games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

No trade clause.

They'll re-sign him. He'll take a Savvy-like contract and retire a Bruin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : The Bruins don't have any true number 1 d-men. Boychuck and Seidenberg are good when they play with Chara. What kind of big intimidating d-man can you get in return? I think if he was healthy and could hit and fight and shoot, intimidation would have played a big factor in home games.
    Posted by BlackandGold24

Considering the value many of these people put on draft picks (trade Bergeron for the #4?), Johnny Boychuk ($4yr/10M?), Rask (Trade Thomas?), and other riduculous things batted around here, many of the posters here might not have been watching hockey for very long.  Therefore, they might not know what it's like to be missing a #1 defenseman, therefore, they severely undervalue Chara.

Trading him is not going to happen.   The idea is not stupid for many reasons...it's stupid for every reason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : The Bruins don't have any true number 1 d-men. Boychuck and Seidenberg are good when they play with Chara. What kind of big intimidating d-man can you get in return? I think if he was healthy and could hit and fight and shoot, intimidation would have played a big factor in home games.
    Posted by BlackandGold24

Perhaps you are right, but he just doesn't seem to be as physical as his size would dictate. On top of it he comes out of too many corner battles without the puck. I don't say he must go, I'd be fine with stripping him of the "C", but my feeling is that this is his last year in Boston either way. Let's not forget that Pitt won the cup with a top pair of Scuderi & Gill, Detroit the year before with the "big, intimidating" pairing of Lidstrom and Rafalski. (yes I know that is a stud pairing - but not big nor physically intimidating). The point is there isn't just one D-corp profile that wins cups. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Perhaps you are right, but he just doesn't seem to be as physical as his size would dictate. On top of it he comes out of too many corner battles without the puck. I don't say he must go, I'd be fine with stripping him of the "C", but my feeling is that this is his last year in Boston either way. Let's not forget that Pitt won the cup with a top pair of Scuderi & Gill, Detroit the year before with the "big, intimidating" pairing of Lidstrom and Rafalski. (yes I know that is a stud pairing - but not big nor physically intimidating). The point is there isn't just one D-corp profile that wins cups. 
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

LOL. Try going into a corner sometime with Chara and see how you fare. Or just go down to the glass sometime at the Garden and watch him close up.  He's the most intimidating defenseman in the NHL.

And you'd be fine with stripping him of his captaincy? I suppose you know better than guys like Aaron Ward and Shawn Thornton, who have called him a great captain. As Ward said, he leads by example - nobody works harder and plays through more than Chara.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : LOL. Try going into a corner sometime with Chara and see how you fare. Or just go down to the glass sometime at the Garden and watch him close up.  He's the most intimidating defenseman in the NHL. And you'd be fine with stripping him of his captaincy? I suppose you know better than guys like Aaron Ward and Shawn Thornton, who have called him a great captain. As Ward said, he leads by example - nobody works harder and plays through more than Chara.
    Posted by duinne

Great - this convinces me all the more that they could get a bundle for him. Ward's not on the team and half the people on this board didn't want Thornton resigned (I'm not one of them); those players' opinions are irrelevant, as is mine. There are definitely D-men I would take before Chara, so at $7.5 I would hope that he at least doesn't get a raise. Putting that much of a premium in one player just starts stripping the team of balance, in my opinion

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Great - this convinces me all the more that they could get a bundle for him. Ward's not on the team and half the people on this board didn't want Thornton resigned (I'm not one of them); those players' opinions are irrelevant, as is mine. There are definitely D-men I would take before Chara, so at $7.5 I would hope that he at least doesn't get a raise. Putting that much of a premium in one player just starts stripping the team of balance, in my opinion
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

Who would you prefer over Chara?  From that list, are any of them available?  Are any going to become available?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Considering the value many of these people put on draft picks (trade Bergeron for the #4?), Johnny Boychuk ($4yr/10M?), Rask (Trade Thomas?), and other riduculous things batted around here, many of the posters here might not have been watching hockey for very long.  Therefore, they might not know what it's like to be missing a #1 defenseman, therefore, they severely undervalue Chara. Trading him is not going to happen.   The idea is not stupid for many reasons...it's stupid for every reason.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Same thing I always say about these trade talks, everybody and anybody is worth trading

depending on what you get for them.

What if.

Pens say Crosby for Chara straight up.
    Ovie for Chara straight up.

Not going to happen, but you get my point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Chara's style of play is dictated by his partner.  With Ward he had someone communicative and responsible...that allowed Chara many more freedoms to be physical or aggressive.  The circus that partnered him this year constantly made him change his game...he was forced to be too responsible...always covering someone else's a$s.  

You don't trade elite D-man.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Great - this convinces me all the more that they could get a bundle for him. Ward's not on the team and half the people on this board didn't want Thornton resigned (I'm not one of them); those players' opinions are irrelevant, as is mine. There are definitely D-men I would take before Chara, so at $7.5 I would hope that he at least doesn't get a raise. Putting that much of a premium in one player just starts stripping the team of balance, in my opinion
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

Like who?

And I'm sorry, if you don't value the opinions of Ward and Thornton, two of the most stand-up, non-bullcrap guys in the NHL, I don't know what to tell you. Ward spent two years in the locker room with Chara, and if he says Chara is a great captain, (especially with the flat-out conviction he spoke with - it was during a radio interview), I don't hesitate for one moment to believe him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Perhaps you are right, but he just doesn't seem to be as physical as his size would dictate. On top of it he comes out of too many corner battles without the puck. I don't say he must go, I'd be fine with stripping him of the "C", but my feeling is that this is his last year in Boston either way. Let's not forget that Pitt won the cup with a top pair of Scuderi & Gill, Detroit the year before with the "big, intimidating" pairing of Lidstrom and Rafalski. (yes I know that is a stud pairing - but not big nor physically intimidating). The point is there isn't just one D-corp profile that wins cups. 
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

Not Gill, Gonchar.  Big difference.

The #1 defenseman on a team doesn't need to be an intimidator, but he does have to be a game changer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Like who? And I'm sorry, if you don't value the opinions of Ward and Thornton, two of the most stand-up, non-bullcrap guys in the NHL, I don't know what to tell you. Ward spent two years in the locker room with Chara, and if he says Chara is a great captain, (especially with the flat-out conviction he spoke with - it was during a radio interview), I don't hesitate for one moment to believe him.
    Posted by duinne

Look, I love Ward and always have. Give me 6 of him on D and we can probably win. But he was jettisoned by the best NHL coach in history, and for whatever reason (possibly that it's getting late) I'm not remembering who was important enough for the Bruins to give up Ward. All of that said, keep in mind he is a player. As great a lockerroom presence as he is he isn't in the position of talent or role evaluator yet. Eventually maybe, but I'll reserve judgment until he is.

NAS - I'm thinking almost anyone in the NHL is available when you put up a Chara for discussion. Given that he is at $7.5 and may be unsignable without handicapping your team I think it is worth discussing. Again, by no means do I think it is something that must be done (I will reserve such statements for Wideman). If they aren't a serious contender at the deadline though...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Look, I love Ward and always have. Give me 6 of him on D and we can probably win. But he was jettisoned by the best NHL coach in history, and for whatever reason (possibly that it's getting late) I'm not remembering who was important enough for the Bruins to give up Ward. All of that said, keep in mind he is a player. As great a lockerroom presence as he is he isn't in the position of talent or role evaluator yet. Eventually maybe, but I'll reserve judgment until he is. NAS - I'm thinking almost anyone in the NHL is available when you put up a Chara for discussion. Given that he is at $7.5 and may be unsignable without handicapping your team I think it is worth discussing. Again, by no means do I think it is something that must be done (I will reserve such statements for Wideman). If they aren't a serious contender at the deadline though...
    Posted by BlazeTrailer

Okay, let's say they're all available.  Whom would you choose?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Okay, let's say they're all available.  Whom would you choose?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

How about Drew Doughty or Shea Weber?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Posted by BlazeTrailer
    Not as physical as his size would dictate???Is that a joke?Chara is the most intimidating physical presence in the league and the B's best player.I don't see him losing too many battles in the corner.Chara is not the problem with this team .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonyalbani89. Show anthonyalbani89's posts

He isn't going to be trade.............They overpaid him and thats a fact. We have to live with it. Don'e have to like it but live with. He will leave a BRUIN.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

I’m not saying Chara should be traded; I just want to point out a few of my 2010 lasting memories on Chara.

Chara’s game 7 record is now 0 in 5. 

This playoff year, in the Philly series Chara, the Bs captain did not get off a single shot in Games 4 or 5! ….. And that is with the Bs facing the history of losing a 3-0 series lead and key injuries at the forward slot limiting our ability for scoring chances!

Look, we can Chara had a Picky injury, but doesn’t that just sound a little funny for a hockey player and a team captain facing the history of blowing a 3-0 series lead???

It must make you wonder, doesn’t it---at least just a little?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarrenRyan9. Show DarrenRyan9's posts

if Anaheim offered you Bobby Ryan for Chara would anyone do it?

but saying that, im not a fan at all of trading Chara, brings way to much to this team....i believe they resign him this offseason to an extension

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

For the right package in return I would trade Chara and I don't think he will take a Bruin friendly contract to stay PC will over pay for his return for me that is anything over 5.5Mil.

Having said that PC would have to be blown away with the return it would have to be real good. Don't see it happening though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Chara? No way... : Considering the value many of these people put on draft picks (trade Bergeron for the #4?), Johnny Boychuk ($4yr/10M?), Rask (Trade Thomas?), and other riduculous things batted around here, many of the posters here might not have been watching hockey for very long.  Therefore, they might not know what it's like to be missing a #1 defenseman, therefore, they severely undervalue Chara. Trading him is not going to happen.   The idea is not stupid for many reasons...it's stupid for every reason.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot
    100% agree     not a shot if you trade chara you would kick off a whole new 3yr rebuild plan, its no accident a journey men d like siedenberg looked so good with chara and so did boychuck, remember all the young stiffs looking good with raymond...d sweeny, k maclarin, hall gill etc... keep chara get a rw to play with savy   compete with anybody

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hARRIS666. Show hARRIS666's posts

He's over rated, bloated contract, UFA next season...do it.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Thinking in terms of this year only, do the B's have a better chance at winning the cup with or without Chara ? Keep him !

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The captivating aspect of the draft/trade chatter is no one is going to have an answer on what will happen.  It is still entertaining.  The fact is Chara's and Bergeron's contract are going to be issues during the next season.  Now if I am a GM from another team I would ask about those players merely a result of those conditions.  The GMs will entertain discussions over those players but those discussions will be made over the telephone and not the media.  I think PC is not a gambler so those players will remain. I am convinced now the changes promised are going to be made by allowing younger players onto the team.  Recchi will be signed as a mentor. 

The trade rumors via the media are either one of two scenarios.  One the media generates interest by creating "news".  The other is the GMs leak trade options to generate possible trades (feelers).  Sometimes a combination of those poles of thinking.  

One thing is for sure, every year one GM makes a poor move, after all not every GM can be anointed the genius of the year.... last year's loser  probably was Burke, maybe Waddel.  

Lastly, the Chara captain issue is a "non issue".  On the ice the captain is the voice of the team.  Basically his play and communication with the officials.  In the locker room he is the calming factor.  Others will motivate!  The captain's leadership skills are not all inclusive to every player, coach, management team or fan for that matter.  Chara is a fine captain!