Trade Kessel and Ference for one of these defensemen listed plus draft picks/prospects

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mightyvanwhalen. Show mightyvanwhalen's posts

Trade Kessel and Ference for one of these defensemen listed plus draft picks/prospects

It's going to be impossible to sign kessel unless he agrees to something in the 2.633-2.783 range.
    That number being what would be left over if u trade kobasew for draft picks/prospects.
    It would also be leaving a cushion of 850,000-1 million, which every team needs for in-season flexibility.

I would be shocked if kessel signed for something that low. I'd love it if he did, maybe on the promise that he will get his payday next season when they don't re-sign savard, but i highly doubt it would happen.

So that leaves a game of chicken in which the B's dare a team to sign kessel to an offer sheet that the b's have no possibility to match.

Maybe no team plays the game and one month into the season, kessel does take 2.633-2.783. It will still be tough to re-sign kessel next year with all the FA's that the B's will have even if/when they don't re-sign savard, especially with the salary cap expected to be lower.

PC should take action and get another defenseman to replace the inconsistent and often-injured ference and take some draft picks NOW for kessel rather than waiting/hoping someone signs him to an offer sheet thus giving the B's draft picks. Take control of the situation because the B's don't know if someone will actually bite.

Here's a list of 5 guys, if you have other D-men that would be suitable please add them to the list. Keep in mind that by trading ference (1.4 mil cap hit) you would be 2.7 mil under the cap and therefore would only have 1.7-1.85 that you could afford on the player the B's get in return in order to leave 850,000-1 mil under the cap.

Radek Martinek   1.5     2yrs. ufa nyi  32 right 6'1 203 

Daniel Girardi     1.55   1yr.   rfa  nyr  25 right 6'2 208

Zbynek Michalek 1.25   1yr.   ufa  phx 26 right 6'1 200

Carlo Colaiacovo 1.283 1yr.   ufa  stl  26 left   6'1 200

Jack Johnson      1.425 2yrs.  rfa  lak  22 left   6'1 225

Also, maybe one of these teams would be willing to take on

Patrick Eaves (B's haven't completed buyout yet) as well to either buyout or send to the AHL for the next 2 years aka "The Schaefer."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from marcosturminating. Show marcosturminating's posts

Re: Trade Kessel and Ference for one of these defensemen listed plus draft picks/prospects

is this serious?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: Trade Kessel and Ference for one of these defensemen listed plus draft picks/prospects

The Bruins D is pretty set now. It might be nice to get an experienced seventh defenseman, but there's not really a need.

The D will look something like:
    Chara/Hunwick
    Morris/Wideman
    Stuart/Ference
    Boychuck

In Response to Trade Kessel and Ference for one of these defensemen listed plus draft picks/prospects:
    [QUOTE]It's going to be impossible to sign kessel unless he agrees to something in the 2.633-2.783 range. That number being what would be left over if u trade kobasew for draft picks/prospects. It would also be leaving a cushion of 850,000-1 million, which every team needs for in-season flexibility. I would be shocked if kessel signed for something that low. I'd love it if he did, maybe on the promise that he will get his payday next season when they don't re-sign savard, but i highly doubt it would happen. So that leaves a game of chicken in which the B's dare a team to sign kessel to an offer sheet that the b's have no possibility to match. Maybe no team plays the game and one month into the season, kessel does take 2.633-2.783. It will still be tough to re-sign kessel next year with all the FA's that the B's will have even if/when they don't re-sign savard, especially with the salary cap expected to be lower. PC should take action and get another defenseman to replace the inconsistent and often-injured ference and take some draft picks NOW for kessel rather than waiting/hoping someone signs him to an offer sheet thus giving the B's draft picks. Take control of the situation because the B's don't know if someone will actually bite. Here's a list of 5 guys, if you have other D-men that would be suitable please add them to the list. Keep in mind that by trading ference (1.4 mil cap hit) you would be 2.7 mil under the cap and therefore would only have 1.7-1.85 that you could afford on the player the B's get in return in order to leave 850,000-1 mil under the cap. Radek Martinek   1.5     2yrs. ufa nyi  32 right 6'1 203  Daniel Girardi     1.55   1yr.   rfa  nyr  25 right 6'2 208 Zbynek Michalek 1.25   1yr.   ufa  phx 26 right 6'1 200 Carlo Colaiacovo 1.283 1yr.   ufa  stl  26 left   6'1 200 Jack Johnson      1.425 2yrs.  rfa  lak  22 left   6'1 225 Also, maybe one of these teams would be willing to take on Patrick Eaves (B's haven't completed buyout yet) as well to either buyout or send to the AHL for the next 2 years aka "The Schaefer."
    Posted by mightyvanwhalen[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mightyvanwhalen. Show mightyvanwhalen's posts

um...yeah...
    there's the belief that there's not enough money for kessel even if kobasew is moved AND even if the B's offered him everything remaining under the cap (which wouldn't happen anyway).

so the B's more than likely would love for a team to sign kessel to an offer sheet, so the B's can get their plethora of draft picks.

but it's most likely not going to happen.

the B's should take the bull by the horn and get their draft picks/prospects through a trade and at the same time further upgrade at D by replacing ference.

and why not explore whether someone would take on eaves....the B's took him on, so maybe another team would too.

i was also looking to hear others thoughts on the 5 D-men i named as replacements for ference and other suggestions that would fit within the parameters the B's would be working with in such a scenario.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mightyvanwhalen. Show mightyvanwhalen's posts

i hear ya bandg on the d being pretty much set....
    but i still dont like seeing ference out on the ice even if he's on the third pairing and as much as i want to see boychuk succeed, he's an unknown right now and with ference's propensity for getting injured the last 2 seasons, he'll most likely be playing.

AND either kessel settles for small money which seems unlikely or he holds out, so why not make the move to get the draft picks NOW and at the same time get someone in return that could replace ference. Plus if kessel does re-sign, it more than likely will be for one season and it will be tough to fit him in next season as well.

with the core right now i'd probably have the D set with a left and right shot:
    Chara Wideman
    Hunwick Morris
    Stuart Ference (leftie but usually the guy to play the opposite side)
    Boychuk

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

I would like Kessel and Eaves for Johnson and a high pick, maybe include a pick of your own for a 1st

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Kobasew Ference & Soderberg for Alexander Edler  Ryder for Jim Slater & #2..... lucic savard kessel....sturm bergeron bitz.....recchi krejci wheeler....begin slater thornton........chara wideman...edler morris...stuart hunwick........bring me the cup!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

& the cap would be ......minus approx 2.5 4.0 & 1.6= 8 mill  add 3.25 .85 & Kessel at 4 mill=8 mill   waalaa!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

dkrejci, Your trade makes a whole lot of sense and I would do that one in a heartbeat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Kobasew Ference & Soderberg for Alexander Edler  Ryder for Jim Slater & #2.....                                       
    Posted by pucman[/QUOTE]

Trade 50 goals get back 10?
    Ryder for Slater are you insane, alittle too close to the fumes?

DKrejci46
    I would like Kessel and Eaves for Johnson and a high pick, maybe include a pick of your own for a 1st ...

We have D, we will have to trade a D for a D now and Goals for Goals.

Trading Kessel or letting some other team sign him would be a total loss. It would have to be atrade for a player to replace his 36 to 50 goals and he is 21.  There are no goal scorers available that we could afford other than Kessel and he has to get more than Krejci, definitely as much, will not be signing for less. 

Too allow him to go and sign big for draft picks or traded for a D and a prospect is 2 steps back and we need to be going forward.  Not all drafts or prospects are ever useful, most are not. Trading 36 goals for possibly some goals next year or the year after or after or after... just does not make sense.

We need to keep the goal scorers that can score big to win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguy67. Show bostonguy67's posts

Kessel isn't going anywhere.  Kobesaw will be dealt for a 2nd round pick and Kessel, if he doesn't want to lose a year of playing time, will sign for ~ $3 million leaving the B's with a little cap room (very little).  I still think PC should be getting a little criticism here for his handling of the cap situation....

Thank God the Derek Morris signing is for only one year...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I still don't know why people want to have Jack Johnson's love-child.  Frankly, I'd rather let Kessel sit than deal him for Johnson.  And I'll keep beating this drum, too - the value of picks is much different now than it has been in the past.  You won't see LA trade for Kessel AND take on Eaves's salary as a favour to PC AND give up a high pick.  You won't see a team give up a 2 for Kobasew.  Any team that needs a Kobasew-type player will wait until the Bruins are squeezed either by an offer sheet to Kessel or injuries or other needs and then offer a 4 or a mid-range prospect.  Are Chucky and his cap-friendly contract worth a 2nd rounder?  Absolutely.  I'd bet there are only a handful of 2nd rounders each year who turn out to be better than Chucky.  But some of them are Lucic and Krejci and Bergeron, so teams aren't likely to just toss that pick around.

As for the list of possible D, I don't see anyone on that list who is definitively better than Andrew Ference.  Sorry.  A 32yr old who only makes $1.5 should tell you all you need to know about Martinek.   Colaiacovo isn't made out of glass - he's made out of that break-away glass they used to use for bar fights in Westerns.  Michalek and Girardi are 20+ minute guys on brutal teams, so it's hard to gauge whether they'd be better on a good team or exposed.

The longer this goes on, the more I think the Kessel stalemate goes deep into the season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

seriously 1,000 to 1 that kobasew can fetch a second rounder

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

I like this idea vanwhalen, but here's my thoughts:

Martinek - don't know anything about, which isn't good at age 32. No need to include Ference, or actually, maybe Ference straight up. No way for both.

Girardi - Could be had for Kessel straight up with a throw-in D prospect.

Michalek - PHX is going to hold onto this guy like their balls unless they get a top D prospect in return. Ference is not that. PHX has a ton of high-end forward prospects - they don't need to spend money they don't have on Kessel.

Colaiacovo - Hahahahahaha. Perennial runner-up to Tim Connolly for least durable in the world. No. Way.

Johnson - See Phoenix. This is the most possible option for a deal with Kess & Ference, but there's no guarentee this guy's college success is going to translate into an all-star career. Other defensemen chosen 3rd overall: Brad Stuart, Mike Rathje, Aki Berg, Cam Barker.

Kessel demonstrated one of the top 3 wrist shots in the league last year - at age 21. It's r_tarded not to do everything possible to keep Kessel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

First off, it has been reported that Eaves is going to be bought out. If that happens, he becomes a free agent & can't be traded by the Bruins.

I like the idea of getting Johnson, but we would still have to shed some salary to get  him. His cap hit is $1.425 million. We have around $1.3 left and you want to leave some cap space to have flexibility in case of injuries.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

eaves has not yet been bought out, so shedding that salary would be enough

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-Bad-Bruins91. Show Big-Bad-Bruins91's posts

Not gonna happen folks.

I could see a Ference trade sometime this year, but Kessel will either play for the Bruins or sit this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Kessel and Ference for one of these defensemen listed plus draft picks/prospects:
    [QUOTE]eaves has not yet been bought out, so shedding that salary would be enough
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

That's what I don't understand. Why not just trade him for a 7th round pick or something, anything? Nobody else in the league wants to touch this guy? I guess not for his current price.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottgj. Show scottgj's posts

I'm not quick to think that Kessel may not get an offer.  Edmonton, if they don't get Heatley, may be willing and desperate enough to offer him money he can't refuse.  Players don't seem to want to go there and play but everyone has a price.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

I read in the articles about Eaves that he becomes a UFA if no one claims him on waivers, which they did not.   True?  Is he now a UFA?  If so, he has no trade value for us. Anyone can contract him. 

Now here's a question that bothers me--  In our current Kesssel situation, what is to prevent any team from throwing an offer sheet that would put us over the cap-- say 3 or 3.5 M?  Then, if Kessel is getting worried about his future and accepts, we would get very little in draft picks, a second or third I think, since it's based on salary level.

Our options would be (1)  to match and go over the cap, knowing that we can go over 10% but must trim it down to cap by season's open.  A bad situation!!!!  Or (2) to let him go and get the mediocre picks.

Please, someone, advise-- is this how it is? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazybsfan04. Show crazybsfan04's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Kessel and Ference for one of these defensemen listed plus draft picks/prospects:
    [QUOTE]dkrejci, Your trade makes a whole lot of sense and I would do that one in a heartbeat.
    Posted by Reilly24[/QUOTE]have u even seen jack johnson's stats?they're horrible! i honestly don't see what it is or why there's so much dam hype on this kid! he stinks! he's a bum! honestly!chiarelli would be dumb as hell to trade kessel for johnson,now here's a trade that makes a ton more sense that i'd do in a heartbeat trade bergy and kessel and a pick in exchange for
    either penner and cogliano or hemsky and cogliano. and trust me,contrary to what everyone believe's there would be at least 2-4 teams that would take bergy off our hands,because how he came back with so much passion and intensity after his second concussion and made a pretty good impact, i'd find it really hard to believe that at least a couple gm's out there wouldn't at least give him a look or a chance. really.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marcosturminating. Show marcosturminating's posts

[QUOTE]Kessel isn't going anywhere.  Kobesaw will be dealt for a 2nd round pick and Kessel, if he doesn't want to lose a year of playing time, will sign for ~ $3 million leaving the B's with a little cap room (very little).  I still think PC should be getting a little criticism here for his handling of the cap situation.... Thank God the Derek Morris signing is for only one year...
    Posted by bostonguy67[/QUOTE]

Where does the little cap room come from?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

You guys are putting way to much thought into this, LOL. Unless the B's trade 1 or 2 forwards to clear money, Kessel will not be a Bruin. Simple as that. Kessel is not going to sign for $2 or $3 million. If the B's dont make salary cap room. Look for the B's to trade him for a young player already signed to a contract, or draft picks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhsreddevil12. Show bhsreddevil12's posts

2 mil- no.. but Kessel might sign a one year deal for under 3. The FA market this year isn't generating high priced offers. He is coming off a good season but shoulder surgery. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a one year contract under or at 3 mil. But thats just MHO

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Nobobbyorr dont know where you got the 50 goals for 10 but my calulations are the B,s give up 49 goals 62 assists & get 54 & 61 in return Ryder 36  Kobasew 21 Ferrence 1.....Edler 10  Kessel 36  Slater 8 goals ....Edler gobbles up mins young big & fast .... Slater is alil fast SOB that kills penalties & would be a perfect 4th line center & also you get Atl,s 2nd pick  The cap is goin to be a tough thing to manage & somebodies goin to be gone  I haven,t done the age thing with these guys but im guessing at least 12 yrs difference   AHHHHHH  them fumes are sweet perfume! & yes i am insane!