trade Wheeler for a water bottle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird8817. Show Bird8817's posts

trade Wheeler for a water bottle

This kid is useless he does not use his body to create, he is not that fast he seems not to bring it on a nightly basis but when he does he is average at best. There is a reason why Phoenix gave up on him after being the 5th pick overall in 2004 its time the B's give up on him too!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: trade Wheeler for a water bottle

Brilliant.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Phoenix didn't give up on him. They offered him a maximum entry-level contract, but he used a loophole in the CBA (since closed, I believe) to become an unrestricted free agent and sign with the Bruins. If you're going to dump on someone, at the very least get your facts straight.

He's 23 years old and has averaged 20 goals a season in his first two years. It's nowhere near time to "give up on him."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't believe the loophole has been closed.  It was hovering around Colborne like a big pink elephant in the room.  That's right - hovering pink elephants.  If a college player leaves college after two years, the team has until the following July 1 to sign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: trade Wheeler for a water bottle:
    I don't believe the loophole has been closed.  It was hovering around Colborne like a big pink elephant in the room.  That's right - hovering pink elephants.  If a college player leaves college after two years, the team has until the following July 1 to sign him.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I thought it was four years? That was what happend with Wheeler, anyway.

Hadn't heard anything about Colborne's elephants. ;-) I don't think there was ever any real fear he wasn't going to sign with Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Phoenix didn't give up on him. They offered him a maximum entry-level contract, but he used a loophole in the CBA (since closed, I believe) to become an unrestricted free agent and sign with the Bruins. If you're going to dump on someone, at the very least get your facts straight. He's 23 years old and has averaged 20 goals a season in his first two years. It's nowhere near time to "give up on him."
    Posted by duinne

It wasn't a maximum contract, but it was a lot of money.

""We offered Blake a contract which was both commensurate with his draft position"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pink Elephants and Water Bottles it must be summer. Long live Blake Wheeler I hope he's practicing his acceptance speech for comeback player of the year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I love when fans want to throw away a talent just like that.  Bruins got a 1st round pick for nada . 
    You know,  the same people that wanted him out if traded or signs somewhere else will be the ones jumping on PC on what a dumb move he did getting rid of Wheeler when he gets 30-35 goals somewhere else.
    Okay,  so he's big and doesn't use his body , so what !!!  Just because he's over 6ft it doesn't mean this guy must become the next Cam Neely. 
    He's not the easiest to push off the puck and he'll put up points . 
    If he wants 4m + and plays like last season .... then yes get rid of him !
    He's been a bargain right now and if true that he can get signed for up and around 2.5m I think he'll prove his worth.

When I look at Wheeler playing I have to admit at times I'll scream out " For the Love of God if you're that big and a great skater why can't you hit ??? "

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Pink Elephants and Water Bottles it must be summer. Long live Blake Wheeler I hope he's practicing his acceptance speech for comeback player of the year.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Yah, we are in the dog days of summer.  Get rid of Wheeler for a water bottle. 

And 500 posts about Lehtonen going to the KHL proves it's too hot outside and not enough hockey news inside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: trade Wheeler for a water bottle : I thought it was four years? That was what happend with Wheeler, anyway. Hadn't heard anything about Colborne's elephants. ;-) I don't think there was ever any real fear he wasn't going to sign with Boston.
    Posted by duinne

Here's how the loophole works: you hold a drafted player's rights for two years, but the NHL makes special provisions for different circumstances like NCAA regs that prohibit a player from signing a pro deal and continuing to play NCAA hockey or players who don't want to leave Europe or Russia right away - or can't due to military service commitments.  But two years is the baseline*.  For NCAA players, the rule is two years OR the first July 1 after they leave college - whichever is longer (i.e. you get your two years, but then there might be a gun to your head).  For Wheeler, that was 3 years (not 4).  Many players have pulled this stunt, though Wheeler's draft position may make him the highest draft pick to do it.

I wonder about it with every NCAA player drafted in the first round.  I remember reading one or two notes about Colborne's plans to leave Denver after two years vs. what the Bruins wanted him to do.  Never a clear conflict between the two, but just a hint of "I want to be a pro sooner rather than later...".  That can be enough.  It was with Kevyn Adams.  And Ben Clymer.  Just to pick on the instances where the Bruins lost high end guys.

*OK, I'm too tired to do the research here, but I believe it's actually one year that you have exclusive neg. rights but that can be extended for another year if you do...something.  But I can't remember what that something is.  It's simple enough that no one ever loses a drafted player after one year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

Nevermind firs Round pick it was a Top 5 Pick!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

So what happens if an arbitrator awards Wheeler over $3 million?  Either he is grossly overpaid based on his last 1.5 seasons of play, or the Bruins let him go.  Hopefully he signs for less than $2.5M before his arbitration hearing.  That way, if he continues to frustrate in Boston he will at least be tradeable. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I think we should trade him for a bag of pucks, that way if he turns into a productive player, this forum would draw many more negative posters. Just what we need....... more hindsight experts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I think Wheeler will get better at a rate similar to Joe Thornton's development curve.  Big guys just take longer to reach their potential.  Bruins should sign him for 2 more years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think Wheeler will get better at a rate similar to Joe Thornton's development curve.  Big guys just take longer to reach their potential.  Bruins should sign him for 2 more years.
    Posted by bim09

BIM,
    I am a big believer that big bodies take longer to develop, and wheeler stil can,I think the 3rd year is usually the mark for most players.. the first year is all about adjusting the 2nd year is all about learning and the 3rd year you should be putting it together..

Thornton though constantly improved 7pts, 41pts, and then 60, plus started as an 18 year old, by the time hehe turned 23 (wheelers age this upcoming season) he was in the midst of a 100 point season..

hopefully wheeler improves, but it wont be to that level (though I think thornton is a good comparison in syle of play) big body, a little on the soft side, not an emotional leader.. Wheeler will never pass like joe though..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

I'm not sure you can get a water bottle for him but maybe an empty cup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    Thornton though constantly improved 7pts, 41pts, and then 60, plus started as an 18 year old, by the time hehe turned 23 (wheelers age this upcoming season) he was in the midst of a 100 point season.. Posted by rolerhoky19

Which was kinda my point.  If Wheeler is a real talent, he'll light it up in the next couple of years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Bim,
    part of my point was as a 2nd year player wheeler showed no improvement, as well as being an older player he should have had an easier time adapting..  I think wheeler can still be a good player, but I don't think he will ever have the impact of thornton (i would say if he ever gets to 60-70points consistantly that would be immense) but I just dont see it.. This year though should be a sign of where things are going, if he turns it on, or does he stay the same??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Wheeler is young & has size....I believe his biggest hinderance is that he was a college player that had only played 40 games a year & he added 15 lbs since coming into the league....he is growing into his body as well as the tempo of the pro game & length of schedule, he is too talented to let slip away. 

Neely loves the kid, I trust his opinion on hockey players & assuming his thoughts are this kid is going to develop into a top winger on this team that can play all situations, also pretty nasty in the shootouts.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Way too early to quit on Wheeler. The same folks who want to run him out of town probably would have wanted to run Rick Middleton out of town after his first season: "We gave up Ken Hodge for this underachiever?"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Bird8817 ...you are a total waste...improve your hockey knoledges before posting on this board...what will you say after next season when Big Wheel will show 33 G and 27A for a total of 60 points ????   DUH ! ! ! !

Get lost ...

Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 (only if Big Wheel stays)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Bird8817 ...you are a total waste...improve your hockey knoledges before posting on this board...what will you say after next season when Big Wheel will show 33 G and 27A for a total of 60 points ????   DUH ! ! ! ! Get lost ... Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 (only if Big Wheel stays)
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Stanley,
    you really need to find away to let people have their own opinions and counter intelligently man. Nothing you ever say in support of wheeler is based on anything other then your a fan of his.  Your calling someone out for (correct) not knowing the whole history, and then counter with your projeted fantasy numbers..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dclandry. Show dclandry's posts

Let's not forget that Wheels put on a lot of pounds in the offseason last year, so once he figures out how to use those pounds it will make a big difference.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Let's not forget that Wheels put on a lot of pounds in the offseason last year, so once he figures out how to use those pounds it will make a big difference.
    Posted by dclandry

Maybe the extra weight was a hindrance. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-oviee. Show screw-cindy-and-oviee's posts

Much like bookboy Wheeler is a Pusssy