Trading Wideman, I say no.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maf559. Show maf559's posts

Trading Wideman, I say no.

Okay yes, everyone wants to deal this guy for his regular season woes, but heres my take. Don't do it. He bombed this year, no doubt about it. BUT. Is his contract worth it for the playoffs? 26 Career playoff games, all with the bruins. In those 26 games hes posted 18 points of 1 goal and 17 assists.  18 Points in 26 games aint so shabby for a defenseman.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

Re: Trading Wideman, I say no.

In Response to Trading Wideman, I say no.:
    Okay yes, everyone wants to deal this guy for his regular season woes, but heres my take. Don't do it. He bombed this year, no doubt about it. BUT. Is his contract worth it for the playoffs? 26 Career playoff games, all with the bruins. In those 26 games hes posted 18 points of 1 goal and 17 assists.  18 Points in 26 games aint so shabby for a defenseman.
    Posted by maf559
    You're conveniently leaving out the goals scored against the Bruins that he's responsible for. And no, a couple goals and handful of assist are not worth 3.5 million. It's thinking like that that won't allow the Bruins to sign Stuart, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Sobotka etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maf559. Show maf559's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Wideman, I say no.:
    In Response to Trading Wideman, I say no. : You're conveniently leaving out the goals scored against the Bruins that he's responsible for. And no, a couple goals and handful of assist are not worth 3.5 million. It's thinking like that that won't allow the Bruins to sign Stuart, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Sobotka etc.
    Posted by notrolls

did i mention hes a +4 in those 26 playoff games? seidenbergs been gone since he got here. theres no way hell resign here since hes going to get a 4 mil a year offer from some rebuilding club. boychuk is playing well but still cant demand a big contract and same goes for sobotka(who I think will be dealt if were drafting seguin, no need for this many centers on one team). Stuarts not going anywhere since hes an RFA and hes got future captain written all over him. PC makes dumb moves but he aint that dumb. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Wideman, I say no. : did i mention hes a +4 in those 26 playoff games? seidenbergs been gone since he got here. theres no way hell resign here since hes going to get a 4 mil a year offer from some rebuilding club. boychuk is playing well but still cant demand a big contract and same goes for sobotka(who I think will be dealt if were drafting seguin, no need for this many centers on one team). Stuarts not going anywhere since hes an RFA and hes got future captain written all over him. PC makes dumb moves but he aint that dumb. 
    Posted by maf559
    PC would have been able to give Seidenberg that 4 million if he hadn't overpaid Wideman and Ference. Boychuks value goes up every game. He might not demand a huge contract, but the Bruins don't have much $$ to play with, especially after they pay Stuart. I wouldn't mind Wideman falling all over the place for around 1.5 million a year, but what he's making now is a joke. Bruins need as much cap space as they can get to retain some key players and to pay the upcoming players. It's going to be at the point where every dollar counts, and having players like Wideman, Ryder and Thomas eating up a HUGE portion of the cap is gonna bite the team in the azz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I am all for trading Wideman this offseason. Hopefully Wideman's playoff point production has given him some value to some teams.  I still don't understand the Ferrence signing.  I never really liked that guys game, he was an upcoming UFA I was looking forward to leaving.  I'd love to see Seidenberg get re-signed, though I doubt it will happen, if it does someone defintely has to go, and that soemone is Wideman.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

If keeping Wideman prevents Chiarelli from resigning Stuart, Seidenberg, and Boychuk, then trade him.  I'd rather see them try to move Ryder (if that's even possible) and keep all 4 defensemen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

If keeping Wideman prevents Chiarelli from resigning Stuart, Seidenberg, and Boychuk, then trade him.  I'd rather see them try to move Ryder (if that's even possible) and keep all 4 defensemen.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

I don't think ryder is going anywhere. We need the right handed shot, he plays well with Krejci, he's under contract. Why are you trying to trade Ryder? Who do you want to replace him with?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Wideman, I say no. : I don't think ryder is going anywhere. We need the right handed shot, he plays well with Krejci, he's under contract. Why are you trying to trade Ryder? Who do you want to replace him with?
    Posted by OlsonicCreations
    I would trade Ryder because that 4 million dollars could help out with signing Seidenberg (maybe), Boychuk, Sobotka. Ryder has basically been invisible all season. His handful of good games this post season doesn't warrant the money he's making. Same thing with Thomas, they're gonna have a 6 million dollar backup goalie. That's ridiculous! If they can somehow find a team just willing to take him and his contract it would help the Bruins cap out big time. Then replace him with one of the many free agent goalies out there. Auld comes to mind, and he could be had for around 1 million.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Wideman, I say no. : I don't think ryder is going anywhere. We need the right handed shot, he plays well with Krejci, he's under contract. Why are you trying to trade Ryder? Who do you want to replace him with?
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

Are you serious?  You trade Ryder because he makes $4,000,000 and puts up mediocre numbers (18-15-33 in 82games this year).  Yes, that's right.  He played every single game this year and only managed 33 points!  Ryder is an unreliable winger who occasionally gets hot; not good enough to be costing the Bruins so much.

You would be able to replace him with pretty much any average FA forward. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Seidenberg is a UFA that will get pretty good offers.  He'd be a fool to sign before he hits the open market.  Hopefully he's not a money guy.

Boychuk is most likely going to be a UFA so the same goes for him.

Stuart is only an RFA but will need a raise.  Same with Sobotka.

For a team that has already commited 45.5+ million on 12 guys, you can see where salary will need to be cleared.  Ryder is a top candidate because he doesn't have an NTC and he's playing below expectations.  Wideman would be a close 2nd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

1. 3.5 MM is not a lot for a number 2-4 d-man in this league. Stuart is our number 2 and should get 4MM on a 5-6 year deal (what I would like to have Stu locked up for). Seidenberg gets 3.5MM for 3-4 years. Boychuck gets 2.1MM for 2 years. Chara will sign an extension on or shortly after July 1: 7 years/28 MM frontloaded (takes him to 40 years, but likely will retire, or not since he's a health freak).

D will look like:
    Chara (7.5/4MM)  Seidenberg (3.5MM)

Stuart (4 MM)    Wideman (3.5)

Boychuk (2.1MM)  Hunwick/Ferrence/McQuaid/Rookie

Total: 17.1-20.1 MM

2. Dennis Wideman has been tremendous in the playoffs. He is not a perfect player, but I am pretty sure he's been in on a number of key plays that went in the Bruins' favor.

3. Wideman struggled during the regular season, but that does not detract from number 2.

4. Wideman has something like 20 points in 26 playoff games. I will gladly take a playoff performer who is a regular season dud over the opposite.

5. Puck-moving d-men are not easy to replace.

6. Ferrence should be moved if anyone. Bruins probably won' t bring back Seidenberg given what they've done since his injury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Seidenberg is a UFA that will get pretty good offers.  He'd be a fool to sign before he hits the open market.  Hopefully he's not a money guy. Boychuk is most likely going to be a UFA so the same goes for him. Stuart is only an RFA but will need a raise.  Same with Sobotka. For a team that has already commited 45.5+ million on 12 guys, you can see where salary will need to be cleared.  Ryder is a top candidate because he doesn't have an NTC and he's playing below expectations.  Wideman would be a close 2nd.
    Posted by Raskman

Boychuk is an RFA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrolls. Show notrolls's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Wideman, I say no. : Boychuk is an RFA.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan
    Boychuk didn't play enough games, so he became a UFA.
    Wideman is NOT a #2 or even a #3 Dman. He is right now due to injury, but the guy is a HUGE liability in his own end.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I think you guys are giving Wideman way too much credit as well for his playoff point production so far.  Yes, he has a good amount of assists, but how many of those assists were  a direct result of a great pass by Wideman?  A couple?  He just has happened to luck out and a routine pass became an assist for Wideman because of some nice plays and lucky bounces shortly after he touched the puck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Wideman, I say no. : Boychuk is an RFA.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

I'm tired of explaining it.  Basically we have to make the final playing a lot of games for him to remain a RFA.  Something like 15 more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I think you guys are giving Wideman way too much credit as well for his playoff point production so far.  Yes, he has a good amount of assists, but how many of those assists were  a direct result of a great pass by Wideman?  A couple?  He just has happened to luck out and a routine pass became an assist for Wideman because of some nice plays and lucky bounces shortly after he touched the puck.
    Posted by abra-cadaver

If I am giving him too much credit, this is exactly the amount of credit the average fan on this board gives him: none.

Your second sentence is an absolute joke: "He just happened to luck out and a routine pass became an assist...." 

I'm not saying Wideman's perfect, but how do you think Julien and Ramsey (the best defensive coaching duo in the league) justify in their minds playing a player with those deficiencies? I guess your answer is "routine passes [that become] assists." I'll take it.

To analogize between players, for all those Kessel fans out there who say we should have accepted his huge contract demands, lack of defensive ability, and general lack of respect for his teammates, how come we cannot accept Wideman for what he is: a serviceable defender who can move the puck really really well when he's on his game. At least Wideman tries, wants to be here, is a respected teammate, and clearly has the mental wherewithal to deal with the pressures of a big market.

My big fear is that the fans in this town, trying hard as hell to find a scapegoat ala Hal Gill (how'd he turn out by the way?), drove him to quietly ask for a trade and that is why we re-signed Ferrence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Wideman, I say no. : Boychuk didn't play enough games, so he became a UFA. Wideman is NOT a #2 or even a #3 Dman. He is right now due to injury, but the guy is a HUGE liability in his own end.
    Posted by notrolls

I won't say you're wrong, because I don't know for a fact, but what clause in his contract/the CBA allows this? Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have never heard of a contract or CBA provision whereby a player can get to free agency by playing fewer than a number of games. I thought it was 7-8 seasons of NHL service to UFA status or a certain number of games; never knew that by playing more games you'd forego a year of UFA status. Such a rule would even seem to encourage some anti-competitive behavior.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Trading Wideman, I say no. : I won't say you're wrong, because I don't know for a fact, but what clause in his contract/the CBA allows this? Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have never heard of a contract or CBA provision whereby a player can get to free agency by playing fewer  than a number of games. I thought it was 7-8 seasons of NHL service to UFA status or a certain number of games; never knew that by playing more games you'd forego a year of UFA status. Such a rule would even seem to encourage some anti-competitive behavior.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

Read the definition of a Group 6 UFA.  He's over 25 and played under 80 games in the NHL.  It's the same deal as last year.  He was a UFA then too.  Problem is that this year the secret is out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

Boychuk is an excellent player. Raskman is right; the secret is out. This guy is a stud D-man. He will get plenty of interest, unless all 29 other GMs are NOT watching the playoffs. The Bruins may have to be aggressive to keep him, but he's worth it. Sign Johnny B.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Siedenberg is a question mark.  Boychuck has lifted his game and respect to be considered Siedenberg's replacement.  Stuart on the other hand is one whose contract could be the same as Siedenberg is a big "if".  This fan likes Stuart's play and potential.  

Now Wideman is not going anywhere with that contract.  Could he be packaged with a draft pick? Yes. If no one sees how his game has been elevated during these playoffs then I am dumbfounded.  Wideman has his gaffes but he has been a steady influence in a defensive corps that has been decimated by injuries.  The Ference signing was a shock, consequently I am inclined to think he will be packaged in a deal before the draft.  I also think it might be a mistake.  

Overall, Wideman and Ryder will be important players next year or they will be used to garner more draft picks in 2012 onward before the trade deadline.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Here, copied and pasted from the CBA:

Group 6 Free Agents.

(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three

(3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i)

in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than

80 NHL Games, or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, has played less

than 28 NHL Games (for the purpose of this definition, a

goaltender must have played a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in

an NHL Game to register a game played). For the purposes of the

foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a Player aged

18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in eleven

(11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season

and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff

games, and games played in any European professional league,

while under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean

any season in which such Player plays in one or more Professional

Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor

league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any

European professional league, while under an SPC).

(ii) Any Group 6 Player shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become an

Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate

and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely

free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty

or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft

Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization

obligation of any kind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I think I will wait to see if this regular season was a fluke; then consider trading.  His play is much better than earlier in the season and no one was saying anything about his contract last year when he was a defensive wall and was scorring goals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainsausage. Show captainsausage's posts

Amazingly some continue to beat on this guy despite the team's success and some success from Wideman.  Yes, he makes mistakes, but he has been really good at getting the breakout going by lugging it up or making a good pass.  He has put up some points as well.  If he was as bad as some of you make him out to be, he wouldn't be getting near the ice time that he does.  I say give credit where credit is due, he has been very good in the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maf559. Show maf559's posts

Amazingly some continue to beat on this guy despite the team's success and some success from Wideman.  Yes, he makes mistakes, but he has been really good at getting the breakout going by lugging it up or making a good pass.  He has put up some points as well.  If he was as bad as some of you make him out to be, he wouldn't be getting near the ice time that he does.  I say give credit where credit is due, he has been very good in the playoffs.
    Posted by captainsausage

im stoked at the number of people who have gone an agreed with me. its not as many as are against me but i still think hes a career top 4 defenseman and id like the Bs to hang on to him and see how he plays next year. if hes still not playing well he can be a bad contract deadline deal for a team that just needs another puck moving dman. example being- brad stuart. serviceable dman thats overpaid but still teams went after him. low and behold the guy helped the wings go 2 cups and has been one of their top dmen this year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

as bad a wideman was this season - and it was brutal at times - he has turned his game around and is playing with confidence again.  just like he did most of last year.  if he continues to play well this post-season, he should feel pretty good about himself going into next year.  i'd keep him.  if backfires, you unload for what you can. 

but for now, i'd try to trade ryder first.  but if an appealing offer came in for wideman, PC would be foolish not to listen.  and i think he would.

Sections
Shortcuts