Turning a good regular season team into a good playoff team.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Turning a good regular season team into a good playoff team.

True in SJ and true here.  I'm glad PC realizes this.  Quote from today's article.

“What I did see in the playoffs was guys that were sacrificing their bodies. Every shift,’’ Chiarelli said. “We’re not at that point yet. I recognize that. It makes it more clear where we have to be.  But certainly it’s more clear now when you see every player on every one of their shifts, they’re going to sacrifice their body, blocking a shot or taking a check, whatever it is. That became very clear to me.’’

Think about that a little bit, makes you see this team in a whole different light.  PC's quote says to me that the underachievers in the playoffs are out of here.  I think he's talking about Kessel who will win a ton of regular season games for you, but he will never be a grit player, never.  I also think this says that Bitz and Lucic are here forever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Re: Turning a good regular season team into a good playoff team.

hmmm lets take a look at phil kessel's playoff numbers, keeping in mind that he played the majority of these games with a torn rotator cuff and all that jazz...

15 games 9 goals 6 assists 15 points...+8

yea, in the regular season you normally need to score goals to win but in the playoffs you don't right?

keep kessel if he will stay for the right price

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]hmmm lets take a look at phil kessel's playoff numbers, keeping in mind that he played the majority of these games with a torn rotator cuff and all that jazz... 15 games 9 goals 6 assists 15 points...+8 yea, in the regular season you normally need to score goals to win but in the playoffs you don't right? keep kessel if he will stay for the right price
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

My point is that a lot of his scoring regular season is in shoot out goals, where he wins lots of games for you, but how do his goals translate in the playoffs?  How many were GWG's? (I don't know).

I agree to keep him at the right price, but that's not going to happen.  It sounds to me like he wants Savard type money.

And again, the point of this post.  This team's regular season performance didn't create a team that went deep into the playoffs.  I think you need some bigger bodies for the playoffs and Bruins forwards are smallish.  I think you have to part ways with a few of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Okay,
    First off, shoot out goals do not count. Of his 36 regular season goals 0 of them came in the shoot out.
    Second: The point of your post was saying that Kessel isn't good in the playoffs, the point of my stats is that yes, he is indeed good in the playoffs. A 21 year old who is a point a game guy in the playoffs is a playoff success. I think perhaps the Bruins should hope to have healthier players (on the injury list, Ference, Hunwick, Krejci, Kessel, Savard, Recchi, Kobasew, Chara, Ward, Wideman) in their next post season. As we saw this year, the healthiest team won the cup, not the best team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]True in SJ and true here.  I'm glad PC realizes this.  Quote from today's article. “What I did see in the playoffs was guys that were sacrificing their bodies. Every shift,’’ Chiarelli said. “We’re not at that point yet. I recognize that. It makes it more clear where we have to be.  But certainly it’s more clear now when you see every player on every one of their shifts, they’re going to sacrifice their body, blocking a shot or taking a check, whatever it is. That became very clear to me.’’ Think about that a little bit, makes you see this team in a whole different light.  PC's quote says to me that the underachievers in the playoffs are out of here.  I think he's talking about Kessel who will win a ton of regular season games for you, but he will never be a grit player, never.  I also think this says that Bitz and Lucic are here forever.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    when are people going to realize that this mystical vision of the Boston Bruins died with the old Garden. Kessel played injured and his playoff stats are very good as posted. i guess guys like Guy Lafleur and Mike Bossy were window dressing when they won Stanley Cups

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let's not kid ourselves. It would be a big mistake to let Kessel get out of here.

He is a game breaker, and there are not many around in the NHL today, yesterday or tomorrow or any time. Why let him get away?

The Bruins will the Cup within the next 3 years if, and only if, Kessel and Lucic remain. Without them you can kiss the Cup goodbye for another forty years. Anyway you cut it, few of the present Bruins have the talent of Phil or the determination of Milan. Kessel and Lucic are the ones that will lead you to a Cup. Both must be in the mix.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]Let's not kid ourselves. It would be a big mistake to let Kessel get out of here. He is a game breaker, and there are not many around in the NHL today, yesterday or tomorrow or any time. Why let him get away? The Bruins will the Cup within the next 3 years if, and only if, Kessel and Lucic remain. Without them you can kiss the Cup goodbye for another forty years. Anyway you cut it, few of the present Bruins have the talent of Phil or the determination of Milan. Kessel and Lucic are the ones that will lead you to a Cup. Both must be in the mix.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    amen,case closed !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Here are the list of guys you should see improve
    Phil Kessel, David Krejci, Milan Lucic, Blake Wheeler (drastically), Patrice Bergeron, Wideman, Stuart, Hunwick, Bitz, Sobotka, possibly Ryder, Ference
    guys that will stay the same
    Savard, Recchi (I seriously think hes got more in the tank), Kobasew, possibly Ryder, Thornton, Chara, Thomas (we can only hope)
    expect them to get worse
    Ward, maybe Ference, and maybe Recchi

I really don't think all that many changes have to be made, keep and mind we currently have Sturm rostered

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

B's play excellent team defense, but their weak link is their defense corps.  They need an Orpik-type (as an opponent, I loathe him, but admit he'd look good in B's black and gold instead of Pittsburgh's), plus one more (hopefully big) mobile guy who's good with the puck (and Hunwick may well be that guy).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]B's play excellent team defense, but their weak link is their defense corps.  They need an Orpik-type (as an opponent, I loathe him, but admit he'd look good in B's black and gold instead of Pittsburgh's), plus one more (hopefully big) mobile guy who's good with the puck (and Hunwick may well be that guy).
    Posted by BruinsCountry[/QUOTE]
    very good points indeed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BatmanJWO. Show BatmanJWO's posts

[QUOTE]Let's not kid ourselves. It would be a big mistake to let Kessel get out of here. He is a game breaker, and there are not many around in the NHL today, yesterday or tomorrow or any time. Why let him get away? The Bruins will the Cup within the next 3 years if, and only if, Kessel and Lucic remain. Without them you can kiss the Cup goodbye for another forty years. Anyway you cut it, few of the present Bruins have the talent of Phil or the determination of Milan. Kessel and Lucic are the ones that will lead you to a Cup. Both must be in the mix.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I agree. We seem to forget that he's only 21! He's 6' 195lbs which doesn't make him Joe Thornton size. Grit can be taught. Just ask Doug Gilmour. Gilmour became gritty as he matured. They have to mature as a team. Hell, people were screaming for Bergeron to go and he was the best player in the Carolina series. He is just getting back into stride. I think the Bruins need to widdle around the cap. Kessel, if he is out for a payday, is gone. If he wants to win, he will still be in Boston.