US Olympic hockey camp and who's going to play for us

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

US Olympic hockey camp and who's going to play for us

Good article by Dupont on the orientation camp:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2009/08/20/us_hockey_camp_was_just_an_ice_breaker_for_olympics/

Do we have a good chance against the heavy hitters like Canada, Russia and Sweden ?

I love the fact that a UMass alum Jonathan Quick is in the mix for goaltender.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

Re: US Olympic hockey camp and who's going to play for us

USA will take the gold no questions about it and thomas will be the starter and mvp it wont matter who they play they will take gold i say canada comes in 4th place. thomas has dominated at every level he has ever played at so this will be no different.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from T00fresh. Show T00fresh's posts

USA has an outside shot at medalling but no chance at gold. canada and russia are clearly the most talented teams. the US doesn't have nearly the depth or the scoring ability as the top nations and their defense is overated. the way the tournament is set up means one great game by thomas could be enough to put them in medal contention, but i don't see a gold.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Ryan-Miller-vs-Tim-Thomas-Who-saves-USA-Hockey;_ylt=Arhz3bMsvERml7D6zApG_ZV7vLYF?urn=nhl,183845

Who's it gonna be starting in goal ? The debate has already started on yahoo.com.

Looks like Ryan Miller has the edge so far, 53% to 47% over Tim Thomas.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1Goalie30. Show 1Goalie30's posts

I think Miller will be the starter for Team USA. His level of play is "slightly" higher then TT's. I wish TT luck but it is going to be a tough battle for the position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from T00fresh. Show T00fresh's posts

In Response to Re: US Olympic hockey camp and who's going to play for us:
    [QUOTE]http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Ryan-Miller-vs-Tim-Thomas-Who-saves-USA-Hockey;_ylt=Arhz3bMsvERml7D6zApG_ZV7vLYF?urn=nhl ,183845 Who's it gonna be starting in goal ? The debate has already started on yahoo.com. Looks like Ryan Miller has the edge so far, 53% to 47% over Tim Thomas.
    Posted by ksp1957[/QUOTE]

each of the three goalies (thomas, miller, and whoever else makes the team) will probably start a prelim game and then when the games actually mean something wilson will probably go with the hot hand

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

selfishly I want Thomas to have a nice 3 week vacation in Vancouver opening the bench door as backup.  Let Miller start, wouldnt you want Thomas nice and fresh for the stretch run?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If the USA wins it would be "Miracle on Ice II". It should go Gold - Canada Silver -Russia (In a very good Gold Medal game I would even say OT) Bronze - Sweden (PJ beats TT in the last shootout goal). Lots of excitement

USA will play Valiantly but all for not. I hate to say it but the US will be over matched by Russia and Canada. Both those teams are just loaded with super talent. I'm going to watch and rout loudly for the US but I just don't see it.

Mike Eruzione isn't gonna come walkin through that door! But it should still be some awesome hockey to watch. Smaller rinks do favor the North Americans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I can only really see it if either Miller or Thomas (and I agree that they'll likely split the prelim games with the hotter of the two going into the medal round) can pull a Hasek, and steal the tournament the way Hasek did in 1998, when a completely outmatched Czech team was able to dominate the medal round on Hasek's back.

For the Canadians, especially since it's on home ice, nothing but gold will suffice, and as such they'll be unbelievably fired up, and even harder to play against than usual.

In an embarassing piece of history, Canada is the only Olympic host nation to NOT win at least one gold medal in an Olympics they were putting on, and they actually pulled this feat off TWICE! (Calgary in 88 and Montreal in 76)

That streak will end in Vancouver (some predictions have Canada actually winning the overall medal count) but to most Canadians they'd be happy with just two gold medals, as long as they're both in hockey.

The only  way I see Canada not winning is that instead of the pressure being a benefit to them (like it was for the US in 1980) that it's too much for them to handle and they crumble under it.

For American hockey fans, I think the better shot at a gold medal is from the women. Their team right now is the strongest it has been since Granato left.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeremyCJohnson. Show JeremyCJohnson's posts

Canada's going to win the gold. No question - don't know why we're even talking about it.

And Lucic is going to make the Canadian team in order to add a physical presence. Imagine how jacked up he'll be - back playing in front of his home town of Vancouver - at the Olympics - with a Team Canada jersey on his back. And we thought he was a monster on the ice in Boston...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

As a Canadian, I wish I shared your confidence, but if you look at the top ranked teams in the IIHF rankings right now, it simply isn't that easy.
    Any of the top six have legitimate shots at the gold.

It's important to remember that Canada is not the top ranked country at the moment - Russia is.
    While Canada has greater depth than any other country, that doesn't really matter when you consider that you can only dress 23 players.

On a 23 man rosster Russia is as talented, if not more so, than Canada. Can any country put together a line that compares with Kovalchuk, Malkin and Ovechkin?

Their greatest weakness is goaltending (coversely this is the greatest strength of the States, Finland and Canada). If the Russian defence can compensate for Bryzgalov or Nabokov, then they could easily take gold. (Assuming that Khabibulin is still injury plagued).

The Finns have potentially dominant goaltending in Kipper if he's at full form, and they're not exactly weak up front. If Kipper isn't up to snuff, they have Backstrom, Nittymaki and Lehtonen.

The Swedes unlike the other countries are more dependent on a particular system, or sort of mish-mash of the trap and fire-wagon hockey. How well does it work? They're the reigning Olympic champs.

The Czechs may be the odd team out of the top ranked grouping, but their defence can be down right frightening. Kaberle, Zidlicky, Hamrlik, Michalek, Kubina, Kuba, - they aren't all superstars, but they are gritty, nasty, and could punish the opposing teams into submission.

Like I said, I'd love to see Canada win this, but the competition is WAY too deep to call it a lock.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

sorry but the winner is a lock.  a lock for the USA. the americans are to fast and to young and to deep for the canadiens or the russians and as for goaltending, well USA has a big edge

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

kanes, you are a meathead if you think the americans are deeper than team canada.  Im pulling for the US but on paper canada is superior, as are the swedes.  As for goalies USA: Miller, Thomas, Dipietro (?)  Canada: Luongo, Brodeur, Fleury - which set would you rather have?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

[QUOTE]kanes, you are a meathead if you think the americans are deeper than team canada.  Im pulling for the US but on paper canada is superior, as are the swedes.  As for goalies USA: Miller, Thomas, Dipietro (?)  Canada: Luongo, Brodeur, Fleury - which set would you rather have?
    Posted by grego84[/QUOTE]

if your from the USA you have to cheer for the USA team but the best part of that deal is the USA will take the gold metal. get your jerseys and start boasting its a lock my friends lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Kane's you're right, they may in fact get the 'metal', but they are certainly no lock to get the medal.

Like I said six teams have a legitmate shot, with Russia and Canada having to be the favourites - for the States it all depends on how the keepers play. Their defence, likely  Brian Rafalski, Suter, Mike Komisarek, Paul Martin, the  two Johnsons and Ryan Whitney as number seven doesn't stack up, and neither does a foward crew that will depend on Parise, Modano, Bobby Ryan, Kessell, Dustin Brown, Patrick Kane, David Backes, David Booth, Scott Gomez, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Paul Stastny.

like I said, the US has a shot, and I wouldn't mind seeing them win, but your declaration is completely unrealistic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE] In an embarassing piece of history, Canada is the only Olympic host nation to NOT win at least one gold medal in an Olympics they were putting on, and they actually pulled this feat off TWICE! (Calgary in 88 and Montreal in 76) That streak will end in Vancouver Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Sorry Red75 Montreal 76 were the summer Olympics. The winter Olympics in 1976 were held in Innsbruck, Austria and oddly enough Canada did not play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]Canada's going to win the gold. No question - don't know why we're even talking about it.... Posted by JeremyCJohnson[/QUOTE]

We'll have this conversation because Russia and Sweden are always a threat. Canada will not win it going away home ice, depth or Yzerman not inviting Savard.
    Russia will always have it's say when it comes to International Hockey Competition.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Sweden wont be a true threat this season. And USA, seriously? C'monn, Im all for national pride...but to say it lightly, too young, enjoy competing for 3rd, 4th.

Canada and Russia will be monsters this year, and play for the Gold, not a single doubt in my mind. The winner---that's a toss up. Ill say Canada...only due to the emotion of playing on our grounds.

"Can any country put together a line that compares with Kovalchuk, Malkin and Ovechkin?" -red75   = Crosby, Iginla and Heatley is as close as it gets.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: US Olympic hockey camp and who's going to play for us : Sorry Red75 Montreal 76 were the summer Olympics. The winter Olympics in 1976 were held in Innsbruck, Austria and oddly enough Canada did not play.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I know they were the summer Olympics, I was talking about the Olympics as a whole (And Innsbruck as an aside, was part of our hockey boycott)

My point was that Canada is the only host nation of an Olympics not to win a gold medal in any event. That includes the Winter Games (Calgary) and the Summer Games (Montreal) I wasn't being hockey specific or winter sports specific. Canada is the only host nation ever, in either winter or summer to be shut out, and Canada pulled that trick twice.

That streak will end this time around with Canada having a shot at winning overall - but most Canucks won't care as long they get double hockey gold.

Sections
Shortcuts