Versteeg to Leafs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Versteeg to Leafs

for Victor Stalberg and 2 others... seems pretty cheap price.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Re: Versteeg to Leafs

Stalberg has potential.  We'll see how Versteeg does with the Leafs!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

That stinks.. Versteeg definitely will help the Leafs. I wish we had him... Oh wait... We did! Silly F'ing me! Yell

Stalberg is big and skates like the wind. He'll likely flourish with Chicago. Pretty good deal for both teams. Chicago gets more cap room and an excellent player in Stalberg. Toronto gets a player who is more to Burke's liking and can put up points.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs:
    that doesn't scare me. let's see how does when he's not surrounded by loads of talent.
    Posted by BopGun9

X2! He essentially makes up Ponikarovsky's contribution (VERY similar goals/points totals), although Alexei had 61pts in 08-09 which is more than Versteeg has ever had. Plus, add in the fact that Versteeg had FAR MORE superior players to give him the puck/set him up. IMO, worst case (for us bruins fans) is that he matches what Ponikarovsky gave them last year and in years prior...which is nothing to keep yourself up at night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Another undersized wing who makes horrible defensive mistakes for Toronto....I think Chicago did great in this trade...Stalberg has got some upside....Leaf fans are pissed...check TSN.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Why do you, Leaf fans, torment me thus ?

I don't like your team anymore, and want nothing more than to see you fail so we can pick up Herring Choker, Sean Courterier, in the 2011 draft...

I was a Leafs' fan for the first eight years of my life before I knew any better...

Do what you must to improve your lousy stinkin' 29th place team, but I don't really  want to hear about it...

Capiche ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Why do you, Leaf fans, torment me thus ? I don't like your team anymore, and want nothing more than to see you fail so we can pick up Herring Choker, Sean Courterier, in the 2011 draft... I was a Leafs' fan for the first eight years of my life before I knew any better... Do what you must to improve your lousy stinkin' 29th place team, but I don't really  want to hear about it... Capiche ?
    Posted by RMiller87

I really want Couturier as well

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Tuuka idk what you're talking about Versteeg is good in his own end. 

I like this trade for Burke, Versteeg is a proven 20 goal scorer and he's young. Stalberg is the same age and while he's still developing I think Versteeg is the better bet. You can call him undersized but Toronto needs scoring and Versteeg is a good 2nd line option for them right now. Paradis was the first 2009 first round pick that was traded, and he was traded to the Leafs for an underperforming 2006 first rounder in Jiri Tlusty. Didomenico looked decent but I'm not sure what his upside is.

Burke has a penchant for surprising trades and this is another one. Given what Chicago got for Byfuglien who's had less success in the regular season. This doesn't give Burke as much prospect depth to make another move, but given this deal I think he's got a good shot at it. 

I think someone who would be great for Toronto (obviously I don't want them to get him) would be Brad Richards. He's coming off a 91 point season, but he's got a $7.8 million cap hit and Tom Hicks is selling the team, so he may look to getting cheaper if the price is right in a trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Burke sends two former sixth round picks and a former first round pick that he got for underachieving Jiri Tlusty for a 20 goal scorer.

To the people who are saying Toronto got the short end:  If Versteeg were a Bruin, would you be happy with the trade?

I'd be upside down mad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

If Burke is trying to find a linemate for Kessel . . . . Kessel's not good in the corners, Versteeg's not good in the corners as he's smallish . . . . Leafs didn't really improve that much here. Stalberg has some serious speed, and looks like he could be a 20 goal scorer just like Versteeg.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

the make believes take a step sideways. 'steeg had way better icemates in chitown.

2011 draft lookin good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You guys crack me up.  Your glasses are so fogged with the gas from next year's draft that you can't see that the Leafs just traded spare parts for a top six forward with a reasonable contract.

How many posts on here have been crying over the trade that sent Versteeg to Chicago?  How many were hoping for his return to Boston?  Now that he's on the Leafs, he's a smallish, defensive liability who doesn't play well in the corners.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I guess we'll see how Versteeg does on a lousy bottom dwelling NHL team now...

Can an undersized forward like that play on the top line of any NHL club without the benefit of a Toews, Kane, and Byfuglien to constantly draw the opposition's top defenders ?

I think not...

I'd have to say that the heat is going to be off Chiarelli for dealing Versteeg for awhile now...

Hello, Sean Courterier or Adam Larrson in 2011 !  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

NAS :

You crack me up too....

You are such a Leaf blower !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

NAS, all I said was that he essentially replaces the production of Alexei Ponikarovsky. They finished with the 2nd worst record in the NHL last year and traded AP near the end of the season...no doubt Versteeg has talent and I'll admit it'd have been nice for him to come back, but all he does statistically is replace a guy (literally) that had very similar production on the 2nd worst NHL team. No doubt if and when they trade Kaberle for another top 6 forward they will then be improved.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Versteeg is a very nice pick up.....assuming good health, he can handle Toronto, he can play with a lesser team around him.

This is deal is definitely not good news for Bruins fans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Versteeg in 2009-2010 (on a good team) - 44 pts.

Ponikarovsky in 2009-2010 (on a lousy team) - 41 pts. in 61 games.

Of course, Ponikarovsky added another 9 pts with a good team too to make it 50 pts. on the season...

Leaf fans are the only fans that can celebrate another step backwards...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Versteeg in 2009-2010 (on a good team) - 44 pts. Ponikarovsky in 2009-2010 (on a lousy team) - 41 pts. in 61 games. Of course, Ponikarovsky added another 9 pts with a good team too to make it 50 pts. on the season... Leaf fans are the only fans that can celebrate another step backwards...
    Posted by RMiller87

My point exactly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

I think that we'd be happy if we traded some prospects and added Versteeg.

Where's Bochenski anyway?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Brandon Bochenski is with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Why do you ask ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I think that we'd be happy if we traded some prospects and added Versteeg. Where's Bochenski anyway?
    Posted by mattymcgee55

The point that some of us are making is that the Leafs lost Ponikarovsky last season who contributed more offensively to the Leafs than Versteeg did for the Hawks so it's a relatively inconsequential trade for the Leafs from the Bruin fans' perspective...

The No.1 overall pick in 2011 is still well within reach...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I guess we'll see how Versteeg does on a lousy bottom dwelling NHL team now... Can an undersized forward like that play on the top line of any NHL club without the benefit of a Toews, Kane, and Byfuglien to constantly draw the opposition's top defenders ? I think not... I'd have to say that the heat is going to be off Chiarelli for dealing Versteeg for awhile now... Hello, Sean Courterier or Adam Larrson in 2011 !  
    Posted by RMiller87

You take Chiarelli to the woodshed time and time again for the Versteeg trade.    After the Horton trade, you couldn't say enough about Tallon, and how he picked Chiarelli's pocket in the Versteeg deal.  Now that he's been traded to the Leafs, Versteeg is an undersized forward that cannot perform without all-stars.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs : You take Chiarelli to the woodshed time and time again for the Versteeg trade.    After the Horton trade, you couldn't say enough about Tallon, and how he picked Chiarelli's pocket in the Versteeg deal.  Now that he's been traded to the Leafs, Versteeg is an undersized forward that cannot perform without all-stars.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You catch on fast !

Personally, I think that the Leafs gave up too early on Stalberg.  He looked like he had a lot of potential.

I also don't see how Versteeg is any upgrade on Ponikarovsky.

The Leafs likely took a step backwards today.

Good news for us, Black and Gold fans, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Hahahaha -- Just checked the reaction of the LeafBots on the Mop and Pail and as usual, they think that the Leafs won today's deal...

By the way, the two "other" players that Jurke gave up in this deal besides Stahlberg...

Philippe Paradis - a first round draft pick...

Chris Didomenico - scored 95 pts. for the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QJMHL a mere few years ago...

Don't mess with a guy named Bowman to try to get even with the Bruins, Jurke...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hahahaha -- Just checked the reaction of the LeafBots on the Mop and Pail and as usual, they think that the Leafs won today's deal... By the way, the two "other" players that Jurke gave up in this deal besides Stahlberg... Philippe Paradis - a first round draft pick... Chris Didomenico - scored 95 pts. for the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QJMHL a mere few years ago... Don't mess with a guy named Bowman to try to get even with the Bruins, Jurke...  
    Posted by RMiller87

I can certainly appreciate the spin you put on it, but I don't think you actually believe what you post.  Didomenico is a former 6th round pick who just finished his fifth year in the Q.  A 21 year old prospect who hasn't left the CHL yet?  Big things ahead!

Sections
Shortcuts