Versteeg to Leafs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Versteeg to Leafs

In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs:
    In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs : You catch on fast ! Personally, I think that the Leafs gave up too early on Stalberg.  He looked like he had a lot of potential. I also don't see how Versteeg is any upgrade on Ponikarovsky. The Leafs likely took a step backwards today. Good news for us, Black and Gold fans, though.
    Posted by RMiller87

You have pointed out on many occasion that the Leafs were the second worst team in hockey last season.  If Stalberg had any potential, shouldn't he have played more than 40 games for them?  The former sixth round pick, who went undrafted for one or two years before, couldn't even crack that awful Leafs team.

Go Chicago!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hahahaha -- Just checked the reaction of the LeafBots on the Mop and Pail and as usual, they think that the Leafs won today's deal... By the way, the two "other" players that Jurke gave up in this deal besides Stahlberg... Philippe Paradis - a first round draft pick... Chris Didomenico - scored 95 pts. for the Saint John Sea Dogs of the QJMHL a mere few years ago... Don't mess with a guy named Bowman to try to get even with the Bruins, Jurke...  
    Posted by RMiller87

According to you, Dave Tallon was the brains behind the Chicago Cup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs : You have pointed out on many occasion that the Leafs were the second worst team in hockey last season.  If Stalberg had any potential, shouldn't he have played more than 40 games for them?  The former sixth round pick, who went undrafted for one or two years before, couldn't even crack that awful Leafs team. Go Chicago!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

The Leafs were the NHL's second worst hockey team last season.

But Stahlberg was one of their bright spots...

I was always surprised by how big and fast this 24 year old kid was...

You also left out the part of Didomenico breaking his femur in 2009...

Once he recovers from that, who knows how good that this kid will be...

And, of course, Paradis is a first round draftpick...

Leafs get their known entity in Versteeg, but at what price ?

The first overall pick in 2011 is still well within reach for the Bruins, methinks...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs : According to you, Dave Tallon was the brains behind the Chicago Cup.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

That would be Dale Tallon, actually !

Yes, he was largely the architect of the Stanley Cup winning, Chicago Blackhawks.

But Stan Bowman has his old man working with him now.

Don't you know this stuff ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs : The Leafs were the NHL's second worst hockey team last season. But Stahlberg was one of their bright spots... I was always surprised by how big and fast this 24 year old kid was... You also left out the part of Didomenico breaking his femur in 2009... Once he recovers from that, who knows how good that this kid will be... And, of course, Paradis is a first round draftpick... Leafs get their known entity in Versteeg, but at what price ? The first overall pick in 2011 is still well within reach for the Bruins, methinks...
    Posted by RMiller87

I certainly hope you are correct.  I would be thrilled if Toronto had to watch the B's draft second then first while being frustrated with Kessel.  I truly do not think that's going to happen, and I think this deal pushes the pick down a bit further, but I guess we'll just watch and see how it all plays out.  You think they might be in the bottom five, I think they'll be in the top 16.

I wish the season started tomorrow!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs : That would be Dale Tallon, actually ! Yes, he was largely the architect of the Stanley Cup winning, Chicago Blackhawks. But Stan Bowman has his old man working with him now. Don't you know this stuff ?
    Posted by RMiller87

I get his first name wrong often.  No idea why.

Yeah, I know a little about the Bowman family. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

In Response to Re: Versteeg to Leafs : I get his first name wrong often.  No idea why. Yeah, I know a little about the Bowman family. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Everyone thinks that they know the Bowmans, but I don't think that they really do.

Scotty Bowman was an enigma and a tyrant !

He's mellowed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Who was the better player last year ? Versteeg . Some of that was because of who he played with. Who looks like the more talented player ? Stalberg. But playing with a stronger/weaker team may or may not change both players stats in opposite ways . As of now I give the win to Burke for what's on paper but I reserve the right to change my vote once they get on the ice with their new teammates. Burke has stated he wanted to get better immediately. I think he has done that but who knows how it will work out in the long run ? Stay tuned . 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

NotBrianBurke

Ya that's right #Leafs Nation. I got Versteeg for ya. You're welcome! And I'm just warming up. I work well when I'm sober!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

I could be wrong, but wasn't Versteeg 3rd line with the Hawks? No one thinks he might be in for more production getting bumped up a line?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

With Byfuglien and Versteeg gone from Chicago they have taken a step back in the grit and toughness department this will hurt them in the playoffs next year. Bowman has got to make some moves in free agency now. I have to believe this is a win, win for both teams.

It certainly doesn't take the Laffs out of the base automatically or make them a ton better but I do like Versteeg. I say Burke is not done but I also think that a top ten is still with in reach no matter what well because there the Laffs.

PS. Chowda I see you've caught onto "NotBrianBurke" good stuff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And John Madden and Adam Burish are heading to free agency as well. More grit and toughness loss for Bowman and the Hawks. Chicago is still going to be good but losing these players will hurt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

With Byfuglien and Versteeg gone from Chicago they have taken a step back in the grit and toughness department this will hurt them in the playoffs next year. Bowman has got to make some moves in free agency now. I have to believe this is a win, win for both teams. It certainly doesn't take the Laffs out of the base automatically or make them a ton better but I do like Versteeg. I say Burke is not done but I also think that a top ten is still with in reach no matter what well because there the Laffs. PS. Chowda I see you've caught onto "NotBrianBurke" good stuff.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Yes I picked it up from someone on this board and enjoyed Not BB's comments ever since. Saved as one of my Favorites.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

I agree with NAS Versteeg is a top six forward but what I can't figure out here is why so many posters care what the leafs do?. The Horton trade will be a good trade for the Bruins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I agree with NAS Versteeg is a top six forward but what I can't figure out here is why so many posters care what the leafs do?. The Horton trade will be a good trade for the Bruins.
    Posted by john6345

Are you serious ? Can't tell if your being sarcastic or not...The Bruins hold the Leafs 2011 #1 draft pick is why...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Good deal for both teams.

Stalberg will do very well surrounded by better players in Chicago.

Versteeg was a runner-up to Calder, consecutive 20 goal seasons, a good PK player (I think he had 11 shorthanded points), and made all-rookie team.

Other players will not see the light of day in the NHL.

Versteeg's offensive production is simliar to Poni, but he's better 2-way player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Wonder if this trade will prompt the B's to dangle the Leaf's #1 pick for 2011 to someone in return for an impact player, with the thinking being that Versteeg is enough to get the Leafs out of the cellar next year and so the pick won't be as high/valuable?

Of course, any potential trading partner would be aware of that as well.

Wish we could get players like Versteeg. (Oh yeah, that's right..........PC liked Brian Bochenski better.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

trytobearit you might remember that trade was in the works before PC got the job, he was relying heavily on his scouts for that one. guys, i'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't see this trade as a win for the leafs is just kidding themselves.
    Posted by pbergeron37

highly unlikely.. he was traded in Feb...

you think they discussed swapping 2 minor league players for 5 plus months?

I agree on the other part, typically, whoever gets the best player out of the deal wins the trade..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Wonder if this trade will prompt the B's to dangle the Leaf's #1 pick for 2011 to someone in return for an impact player, with the thinking being that Versteeg is enough to get the Leafs out of the cellar next year and so the pick won't be as high/valuable? Of course, any potential trading partner would be aware of that as well. Wish we could get players like Versteeg. (Oh yeah, that's right..........PC liked Brian Bochenski better.)
    Posted by TryToBearIt

Well, I was being somewhat facetious but the fact is the trade did happen on PC's watch and he has to man up for it. I do agree with you that Versteeg is an impact player and the Leafs are suddenly looking a lot more formidable now, and I'm afraid that #1 pick won't yield quite as much for B;'s next year.

Can we at least agree that the Bruins MUST KEEP SAVARD?

(sorry to bring up the "s" word yet again.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The Leafs are adding a better player now but Stalberg has potential, even though they are the same age Stalb is bigger and faster and his development has been slower but he looked really good against Bos lat year and his preseason looked well when with the youngsters that stayed in the minors, his is a speed game.

Versteeg lovers, he was paid 3+M last year and this for same production as Wheeler who we paid 800K. Wheeler haters look at his salary because Wheel will get close to this, but i prefer Wheeler by far.

I do not know why ye want Vers back, he would only become hated as all but 3-4 players are, no matter their talent. This never ceases to amaze me, Wide was extremely brutal at times, but we are not a better team without him he had a lot of upsides too, his salary was his downfall. Ryder Sturm are in same category, they are not front liners but have been used as such and are paid as high end 2nd liners but are not consistent enough for salaries, are they good players, yes they are, I like their play but they are not meant to carry the team and that is what is expected of them with their salaries.

Wheeler and Luc will fall into this category if they don't step up to their new salaries, whatever Wheels will be.

Our problem was Horton(or any scorer) was added after season ended as opposed to at deadline last year, his production would have helped take the load off of above mentioned players and the rest of the team as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

The Leafs are adding a better player now but Stalberg has potential, even though they are the same age Stalb is bigger and faster and his development has been slower but he looked really good against Bos lat year and his preseason looked well when with the youngsters that stayed in the minors, his is a speed game. Versteeg lovers, he was paid 3+M last year and this for same production as Wheeler who we paid 800K. Wheeler haters look at his salary because Wheel will get close to this, but i prefer Wheeler by far. I do not know why ye want Vers back, he would only become hated as all but 3-4 players are, no matter their talent. This never ceases to amaze me, Wide was extremely brutal at times, but we are not a better team without him he had a lot of upsides too, his salary was his downfall. Ryder Sturm are in same category, they are not front liners but have been used as such and are paid as high end 2nd liners but are not consistent enough for salaries, are they good players, yes they are, I like their play but they are not meant to carry the team and that is what is expected of them with their salaries. Wheeler and Luc will fall into this category if they don't step up to their new salaries, whatever Wheels will be. Our problem was Horton(or any scorer) was added after season ended as opposed to at deadline last year, his production would have helped take the load off of above mentioned players and the rest of the team as well.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

I think that's a fair assessment regarding Stalberg vs Veersteg.

Stalberg is one of those guys that could really turn into something or become another Blake type player, looks impressive skating in circules but not really accomplishing anything. 

I liked Stalberg,but I think I'll like Veersteg more because he brings a bit more of a complete game.

The Leaf PK was horrid last year and he'll help there.  Can play all three positions and the PP as well as the PK. I think he has 4 GWGs last year playing on the 3rd line.

Scoring 20 on the 3rd line means he should be a solid 20-25 goal scorer, playing on the 2nd line and the Leafs need more consistent scoring.

Stalberg could do that or even exceed that in time as he learns to use his natural ability.

This isn't an impact trade, to be sure, but I think the Leafs did okay on this deal.

Now they need a centerman with some size.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I like Versteeg, but there is no way that he takes a 29th placed team and makes them into a playoff contender especially when he only barely replaces Ponikarovsky's lost offensive output... 

The Leafs had by far the worst penalty kill in the League last season...

One guy cannot make that big a difference there...

Stahlberg was also better than most are giving him credit for...

But at the end of the day, this is a non-impact trade for the most part, and the Leafs will see the status quo next year...

Meaning that the 2011 Leaf pick will likely be another lottery pick for the Bruins. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

And... no... overpaying a 29 point scorer, Colby Armstrong, isn't going to help your team either.... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No one is suggesting that Versteeg, by himself, make this team a playoff team.  It can't be denied that the team is better with Versteeg than a possible contributor in Stalberg and two throw away players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Unless Stahlberg actually turns out to be a better player than Versteeg which is entirely possible...

Take a guy off a bad team and put him on a good team...

Take a guy off a good team and put him on a bad team...

It's an interesting experiment...

Let's watch this one unfold next season, and revisit it at a later date...

Sections
Shortcuts