WBCN is shutting down and is becoming "The Sports Hub" - Bruins sign contract to be on FM radio

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

WBCN is shutting down and is becoming "The Sports Hub" - Bruins sign contract to be on FM radio

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. So WBCN is shutting down:

"CBS, 'BCN's owner, is moving Mix 98.5 to 104.1, WBCN's frequency, and starting a new, all-sports station--apparently to be dubbed the Sports Hub, and to carry the call letters WBZ-FM--at Mix's spot on the dial."

So WBCN will now be 98.5 Sports Hub with Mix moving to Mix 104.1

So what does this mean for the Bruins??

Today the Bruins extended their contract with CBS radio and will now be broadcasting on 98.5FM.

"This new FM sports station - the only FM station of its kind in the Boston marketplace - will serve as the radio home of the Boston Bruins beginning in the 2009-10 season and the New England Patriots of the NFL beginning with their 2009 season."

Source

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Re: WBCN is shutting down and is becoming "The Sports Hub" - Bruins sign contract to be on FM radio

The station switch is bad for me because I live in Pennsylvania. I could get WBZ here loud and clear and I got listen to most of the Bruins games. I won't be able to get them now with a PA station broadcasting on that same frequency

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: WBCN is shutting down and is becoming "The Sports Hub" - Bruins sign contract to be on FM radio

Great point Lordy. That was the first thought that pop into my head when I heard this. Hopefully the new bosses at Sports Hub Radio, will recognize the fact that  a lot of Bruins fans relied on BZ's strong signal to listen to the games. Hopefully they will increase their signal strength.

But on a lighter note, BCN was a great radio station and will be sorely missed!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hditch. Show hditch's posts

In Response to Re: WBCN is shutting down and is becoming "The Sports Hub" - Bruins sign contract to be on FM radio:
    [QUOTE]The station switch is bad for me because I live in Pennsylvania. I could get WBZ here loud and clear and I got listen to most of the Bruins games. I won't be able to get them now with a PA station broadcasting on that same frequency
    Posted by lordy4[/QUOTE]

Time to get with the times and Get DirecTv lordy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I Live in Canada and you could get the old radio station from Ontario to Newfoundland. It is great when you are on the road and can still get the games. We are behind the times up here as well Lordy 4, we still do not have Direct Tv up here at all and definitely do not have it in our cars nor our sheds which would be a requirement.
     I also use to turn it on when the Bruins were playing either the Sens or Habs as due to Blackouts you have to listen to their garbage announcers, Dean Brown, Greg Millen, Pierre McGuire etc.

Listening to the station since b4 Orr, will miss it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

The Bruins organization has made a very big mistake in going to FM and away from WBZ AM because they now loose Millions of fans that listened to them as i did in Niagara Falls, Ontario and in NFNY. In the early 70's when I was in the army in Virginia I could get the Bruins games and this is not fair to all the Bruins fans who live in areas who will not be able to get games anymore. It is quite obvious that the Bruins marketing people did not take this into concideration when they made this move and millions of out of the way fans will not hear the games anymore. This is a horendous move by the Bruins and they should KEEP WBZ am as well. It was amazing how strong the signal was from WBZ am and now the Bruins will loose those who can no longer recieve them, someone better come up with a better plan or KEEP WBZ am.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wildyellow1. Show wildyellow1's posts

This is interesting, not one of the articles I read mentioned anything about a weaker signal and thus losing fans. I think journalism has gone the same route as corporate...dumb.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In this instance, it turns out that corporate's not so dumb.  As is always the case, it's all about advertising dollars.  Though the B's audience on WBZ-AM was much larger than it will be on FM, that larger audience did not translate into appreciable ad sales from national advertisers.  B's ads are mainly sold to local retail businesses, as well as some regional and national accounts, but it's Greater Boston area ad dollars that rule the day in the end. 

When I lived in DC in the early 70's, it was wonderful to be able to listen to the Bruins on WBZ with Fred Cusick.  Bob Wilson had done the games on WBZ, but went to KMOX in St. Louis to do the Blues games for a few years, enabling Fred Cusick to return to WBZ for a couple of seasons prior to replacing Don Earle (ugh!) at WSBK-TV38.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: WBCN is shutting down and is becoming "The Sports Hub" - Bruins sign contract to be on FM radio:
    [QUOTE]Great point Lordy. That was the first thought that pop into my head when I heard this. Hopefully the new bosses at Sports Hub Radio, will recognize the fact that  a lot of Bruins fans relied on BZ's strong signal to listen to the games. Hopefully they will increase their signal strength.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

They'd have to get permission from the FCC to increase their signal strength. While it's not out of the question, I doubt that this is in the cards.

Not being on WBZ is a major step down for the Bruins. I wonder what the Bruins Radio Network will look like as far as affiliate stations are concerned. I don't think there were too many here in Maine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

I get the NHL Center Ice package, but that doesn't do me any good when I'm not at home or if the Bruins are playing the Penguins (don't get Pens games, but still get them blacked out on Center Ice). I enjoyed being able to listen to the Bruins in the car on WBZ or while at a high school game. That isn't going to happen anymore. The games will be on XM, but I don't have that and currently can't fit it into my budget. This move is bad for Bruins fans that don't live in the Boston area 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

Don't all these radio stations broadcast on the internet now anyway? If so, it won't matter. Just listen online no matter where you are.

Sections
Shortcuts