we could have offerred more for dion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ignaceontario. Show ignaceontario's posts

we could have offerred more for dion

the leafs got dion on for nothing wonder why petey wasn't sniffing around f@ck

ryder and wideman and sobotka and thornton deal done

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Re: we could have offerred more for dion

you mean we could have overpaid for him even more than the Leafs did?!

You mean WE could have locked up another 6.5million on the cap for the next FOUR years for a player thattore the league up in his rookie season, just to watch him decline steadily each year afterwards?

WE could have inherited the locker room problem and questionable work ethic that led to a majority of his own Flames fans calling for him to be traded?

Do you have any clue who he is other than a big name? Why on earth would you want to give up even MORE than Toronto did?!

PC should the PRAISED for not taking that on...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

rask, lucic, Krejci and Zack Hamill would have gotten the deal won.

um, that was sarcasm.

why would you want another defenseman when this team needs scoring?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Well said Dave.  When you have no place to go but up you can take a chance on a player like Dion.  When you have a good young core there is no way you can take that chance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Not only that, but Flames gave him up for cap reasons.  Stajan and Hagman are UFA's at the end of the year, Mayers can be brought out, and White is an RFA. Meanwhile they cleared off 6.5 for each of the next 3 years.

Ryder = 4 mill next year
    Wideman = 4mill next two years

So tby "dumping salary" they wouldinfactbe paying1.5 million MORE next year!

Honestly, do you even think before posting, or just throw out names of players you are unhappy with?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

More like Sturm (30 goal scorer, similar to Hagman), Wideman (similar to White), someone better than Ryder that is comparable to Stajan, and maybe Begin, Thornton wouldn't replace Mayers as he is not as gifted offensively.

First of all, Phaneuf is garbage.  His numbers have dropped and he really isn't that great defensively and can't make an outlet pass to save his life.  He is not needed on this team.  PC knows this and realizes that he would have had to give up too much of his already disappointing offense to get him.

It is apparent that this trade will not help the Leafs, at least for this year.  Maybe next year when they can also focus on rebuilding their offense.  Either way, if PC made this trade, people would soon see how brutal Phaneuf is... unless all you care about is big hits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I watch enough Dion out west here in Alberta, that I'm glad he's not a Bruin. He's not the same player everyone thinks he is. There was a reason Calgary traded him away, he's not playing like a 6 mill / yr guy. Don't need him in black & gold.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Thank you Stuke!  I get to watch him on Sportsnet West all the time too.  Just brutal.  I can't stand him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Calgary didn't do the trade because of cap reasons, they did it because their team was slumping so badly and they needed a jolt. I believe Boumeester has a no-trade clause, if I'm correct, which was why he wasn't moved. Robyn Regehr is more of a defensive defenseman, and they get the bonus of offense and defense with White taking Phaneuf's role.
    They're probably going to resign Stajan since they're trying to move Olli Jokinen. Hagman is under contract for two more years after this one. Phaneuf, while he still has tremendous potential, is able to be traded because of Calgary's depth on defense and needs on offense.
    I don't see how Calgary gave up Phaneuf for cap reasons, they've got their core and the majority of their roster in place for at least next season and they can give Rene Bourque his raise when Jokinen leaves. Mikael Backlund is getting some time up now, and has the skill to step into the second line center role next season, maybe the first line if he shows he can handle the responsibilities. 

While we probably could've given them a decent package  (figure Sturm, Boychuk, Paille and maybe a prospect) and maybe they would've accepted it, maybe they wouldnt've but as much as I like Phaneuf I don't see how we could've kept him with us while keeping Chara, even if Chara took a pay cut come time for his next contract.

As for Phaneuf's talent yea he's having an off season but he still got 47 points last year, but he still has 10 goals, plays 23 minutes a night (he would be handling more but with Calgary's depth on D they don't want to overwork him) and he brings a brand of nastiness that Burke loves and that has defined the better Bruins teams in the franchise's history. And I don't see how somebody who's garbage can put up a plus 3 rating if his team is failing and he had a -11 last season when he got the 47 points. 
    But if we're calling underachieving players garbage can we say Wideman and Ryder stink so bad that they're getting health code violations, because compared to them Phaneuf looks like a god. 
    Plus only a few people are saying this helps Toronto immediately. Losing the immediate offense they did in this trade helps bury them for the rest of the season, which is great news for us. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

DaveCarr:

Leafs are 2nd LAST and dropping!!!!!  They were going nowhere and Stajan/White/Mayers were gone at the end of the season.  Hagman is a good scorer and will help Calgary but Toronto went from 'hopeless' to 'hope'.  Phaneuf may fizzle out but at 24 it is worth the gamble.  Leafs gave away pieces of a broken puzzle.  Aulie is going to be an NHL defenceman in 1-2 years at 6'6 and still growing.  This was a jolt for Calgary who are deep in defenceman and wanted to clear cap space.

BadHab is right though regarding the Bruins.  They need scoring; not more defencemen (except maybe Fowler!)  Although looking at the Phaneuf hits on You Tube he sure looks like a Bruin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

Phaneuf is going to be so wired against New Jersey that he will spend the whole game in the penalty box trying to take player's heads off to impress Wison and Burke because that's how the are playing him in the media. Komersarek did the same thing in first few games and basically cost the Leafs points by always being in penalty trouble. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Phaneuf gets a suspension against the Devils. The Devils know what he is going to do and they will take advantage by taunting him and watch him lose it and at the same time hope that no one gets killed inthe process.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

dion p is not worth that much money he is very overated

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanJohnthan. Show StanJohnthan's posts

Yea we could have but the Trade talk would've have started and ended with Krecji. Because the main focal point for Calgary  was a center man. 

.  Stajan and Hagman are UFA's at the end of the year
    And for this point I believe Hagman is signed for 2 more years at 3 million per yr.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

TO gets Calgary's sloppy seconds.

Just think Dion will get to play Avery more this year.

Anyone with passion would love to see this guy in a B's uniform in the playoffs.TT wouldn't have to take a penalty, shiite would be dealt with that isn't getting dealt with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

StanJohnthan is correct! Colbourne is my guess then Krecji.  Phanuef is a Bruins like player but not a leader.  "Loose cannon" in the mold of Carcillo in Philadelphia. No to $6.5 til 2014.  I will stick with Chara, he hopefully will not demand the contract hit of $7.5 million like in his current contract.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

Phaneuf  was shipped out of Calgary because he was taking 90% of the oxygen in the dressing room nobody could stand him.  It is also the reason why he didn't make the Canadian Olympic squad.  I'm glad he's not a Bruins. you don't need a guy like that in Boston. 
    The Bruins need to get a natural  goal scorer period.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

ccoul, you are correct. I heard this before the trade. His teamates couldn't wait to get him out of the dressing room. No way I want him on the Bruins. OFFENCE, OFFENCE, OFFENCE is what we need.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

FP4877 - Its practically a given that a newly-traded player's best game is always his first one because of the reasons you outlined earlier.  Remember PK's initial game?  He was flying, he had, what was it, 10 shots and he scored, too.  Yeah, Phaneuf will be amped to justify his aquisition.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

I heard something intersting today from Doug Mcclean on sportsnet.He kind off likened this trade to the Thornton trade where O'connell traded Thornton to San Jose, but never let other gm,s know that Thornton was even on the market.An anonomous gm said he wished he knew Phanueh was even being shopped, would have offered a lot more.I suspect this is a short term fix for Calgary with expiring contracts coming back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsdel1. Show bsdel1's posts

Why does anyone think that Sturm, Ryder, Wideman, Paille, et al.. would bring anything of value in return. These are either older players who will never get any better than they are right now or players with very un-cap-friendly contracts. The B's assets are as follows; Multiple first and second round picks, several young NHLers(Krejci, Wheeler, Boychuk), Tuuka Rask, and maybe Marc Savard because his contract is back loaded. AND THAT'S IT!!! If you wont part with any of those you cant acquire anything that will help.

PS --- I will be the first to say it..... 4+ Million per year for Milan Lucic is the WORST Contract in the NHL !! I love the B's as much as anyone and I love the big bodychecks too but he will never provide the skills necessary (other than fighting) to warrant that salary!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

PS --- I will be the first to say it..... 4+ Million per year for Milan Lucic is the WORST Contract in the NHL !! I love the B's as much as anyone and I love the big bodychecks too but he will never provide the skills necessary (other than fighting) to warrant that salary!

Are you serious?  This thread is about the worst contract in the league 6.6 million per season for Dion.  Yet Ian f%%kin White has better stats this season. 

How do you know what Lucic will become did you look in you crystal ball?  It bugs me when people state their opinion as fact.  Do you think Vancouver would have traded Cam and a first round pick to us for Barry Pederson if they had known what Cam would turn into.  Milan is still developing as a player when that development stops then we will know what we have.  UNTIL THEN IT IS ALL JUST SPECULATION.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

ignaceontario, the point I was making is that they gave up 6.5 mill in salary in Dion, 1.5 next year to Sjostrom. That's 8mill next year.

In Hagman, they have to pay 3 mill next year. The Flames can walk away from the other three if they wish. 2 via UFA, 1 via RFA and even get something back in return. Of course, they have the option to resign White, and that's up to them, but for now, they are onlyobligated to pay out 3 mill next year as opposed to 8.

It's all about flexibity.

Not that I'm saying that was the only reason Calgary made the trade, but it's the reason they made the trade that they did instead of a 1-1 trade for a goal scorer or something like that. They took the players that they did so they havemore flexibity in the offseason. Making the trade you suggested at the start of this thread would have done the exact opposite, and given them players that are performing evenworse that Dion was. It makes no sense for the Flames to accept that trade

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

What do you think people would try to do to Marc Savard if Lucic wasn't out there. Lucic is feared in this league and not only for fighting for hard forchecking and hitting, he does have the skills and Neely will show him how to get the best of them. 

I remember I was watching TSN last year and they were talking about Cal Clutterbuck and all his hits, then they got into Lucic and his hits and how devasting they can be. All 4 of the panel guys claim Lucic is the biggest threat to workplace safety in the NHL. they also said that if you like him now wait till he is 25 or so, he's only 21 man geez he's only gonna get better.

do you like my name??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazybsfan04. Show crazybsfan04's posts

i'd prefer to have visnovsky's scoring on the b's right now than phanuef's bone-headed hits (much like ovechkin's this year as well! very questionable.)so let's move on from phanuef, trade wideman and ryder, and bring in visnovsky and tkachuk and let's make a serious run at the cup baby!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

People who hate Toronto's side of the deal have different reasons, neither which really make sense. I do think it could very well end up like the Thornton deal.
    Stajan is a second line player at best. Do people actually think Ian White is young?? He's older than Phaneuf for crying out loud. Hagman is a decent veteran but the cap hit wasn't helping Toronto. Mayers was just a cap equalizer. All of Toronto's players have experienced the benefit of more playing time than their skill permits, which also helped pad their points.
    As far as the future cap decision goes, Calgary made this trade to get cap relief. It's true, you don't trade a potential franchise defenseman for junk because it's a lot of junk, you trade to get money free. If they don't trade Jokinen for Kotalik and they let Jokinen walk they could be in line to give Kovalchuk an offer should he become an unrestricted free agent.
    Do I think the Bruins could've given a better offer for Phaneuf? Maybe. It all depends on what Calgary would've wanted from us, which could've been Wideman for his offensive potential, they would've probably paired him up with Marc Giordano who could cover him sometimes when he made stupid positioning errors and got caught off guard. I don't think Phaneuf would've fit in well with Chara here, just as he didn't with Boumeester. With those kinds of big defenseman who take up the spotlight you can't have more than one a team, otherwise things will clash. People blame Phaneuf for the locker room issues but he wasn't the one who signed Boumeester or brought in Sutter to ruin the team. 

As for trading for Wideman and Ryder if somebody will take them straight up I'd love it, but the odds on that happening are the same odds I have at winning mega millions later tonight.