Welcome to America, Yuri!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Welcome to America, Yuri!

According to capgeek.com, the Bruins have signed Russian defenseman Yuri Alexandrov to a two-year, two-way contract.

Woo Hoo!

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1769

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Welcome to America, Yuri!

In Response to Re: Welcome to America, Yuri!:
    In Response to Welcome to America, Yuri! : AWESOME, if he turns out to be as good as some think he can be, it means we an move a d man to clear up some cap room and get a draft pick
    Posted by pbergeron37

Well, I wouldn't go selling the farm yet. ;-) He is a solid prospect, certainly, but he's still very young, underweight, and will need to adjust to the North American game.  I would guess he'll be in Providence for most of this coming year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I am excited to see this kid in camp.  He is already a veteran of a couple of KHL seasons and will be 22 next month.  Here is hoping that he is as solid as they say (can't be worse than Wideman, Hunwick or Ference).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I have never seen him played but it seems like everyone likes this guys.  I'd love to see some video.  Can't find much on youtube!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cool another Carl Yetiberg! We know of Yuri but because he's been hiding up in the Russian wilderness we don't quite know if he can play but after we've shaved him taken the pick ax out of his hands and thrown him out there with the rest of the young guns we'll see.

This is definitely good on both fronts. Me thinks Carl and Yuri see something here in Boston and it's time to give it a whirl. This is good because we need more size and youth in the lineup.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Cool another Carl Yetiberg! We know of Yuri but because he's been hiding up in the Russian wilderness we don't quite know if he can play but after we've shaved him taken the pick ax out of his hands and thrown him out there with the rest of the young guns we'll see. This is definitely good on both fronts. Me thinks Carl and Yuri see something here in Boston and it's time to give it a whirl. This is good because we need more size and youth in the lineup.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

He was at rookie camp last summer. He didn't join the Bruins this past season because he was in the final year of his KHL contract, not because he had no interest in the NHL or that he was playing the prima dona. Signing a two-way contract shows he's serious about earning his way, IMHO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Word is he would have been top four pair last year...before the great season he had in the KHL.  I agree that when you see how light he is the first thought is he needs to bulk up, but this kid is supposed to be a smooth skating, cerebral, puck mover.  Let's hope he is everything he is projected to be....if so he'll give us even more options at the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to America, Yuri! : He was at rookie camp last summer. He didn't join the Bruins this past season because he was in the final year of his KHL contract, not because he had no interest in the NHL or that he was playing the prima dona. Signing a two-way contract shows he's serious about earning his way, IMHO.Posted by duinne

I need to put :SARCASM: at the end of some of my paragraphs. I'm elated that both of dees too utes are on there way! Man I tell yah PBruins fans down at the Dunk are sure in for a fun season with all the speed they'll have on there team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

sooooooooo.... chara, wideman, hunwick signed.  i hate ferrence but
    were signing boychuck i think 1.5 mil 1 yr to make sure its no fluke.
    and we all want seidenberg right?  i would offer him 2.75 for 1 yr or 7mil for 3 yrs and were does that leave m stuart??? this russian guy sounds like he's ready

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Word is he would have been top four pair last year...before the great season he had in the KHL.  I agree that when you see how light he is the first thought is he needs to bulk up, but this kid is supposed to be a smooth skating, cerebral, puck mover.  Let's hope he is everything he is projected to be....if so he'll give us even more options at the draft.
    Posted by TuukkainNet

Word from whom? A top four pair? In the NHL? At 21? LOL. No.

Look, he's a good skater, a puck-mover, and appears to be a pretty smart kid. He's undoubtedly talented, and the sky could be the limit for him. But the KHL is a long, long way from the NHL. For one thing, it's nowhere near as physical - heck, it's nowhere near as physical as the AHL. And Alexandrov, to put it mildly, needs to add some bulk. And learn the North American game, and adjust to life in North America, which Tuukka Rask can attest isn't easy.

I'm thrilled to death that he's signed, obviously, but I hate the notion that the kid's going to be an instant stud. He will be good, I have no doubt. But he's going to need time. Bruins fans will have to be patient with him. I hope to God they will.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to America, Yuri! : I need to put :SARCASM: at the end of some of my paragraphs. I'm elated that both of dees too utes are on there way! Man I tell yah PBruins fans down at the Dunk are sure in for a fun season with all the speed they'll have on there team.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I understood that you were being facetious, but the comparison to Sodeberg was inaccurate. Alexandrov has never been anything but up front with his intentions with the Bruins, as far as I can tell. He didn't come over earlier because his agent hadn't told him the Bruins wanted him to (I hope he changed agents); when they finally contacted him through a Russian-speaking coach he was thrilled to be invited to rookie camp.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to America, Yuri! : Word from whom? A top four pair? In the NHL? At 21? LOL. No. 
    Posted by duinne

Your right....I miss read a post on HF......The last thing I want to do is put added pressure on a prospect or for that matter rush them....Alexandrov does appear to be more ready then most though.

Yuri Alexandrov, D - Severstal Cherepovets (KHL)
    6'1, 179 pounds
    2nd round, 37th overall, 2006

While Boston’s NHL defensemen have not been overly impressive this season, Yuri Alexandrov’s play should help ease concern over the position. After suffering an injury that forced him to miss almost half of his team’s games last year, Alexandrov recovered nicely to have a positive end to the year, and his stellar play carried over into the 2009-10 season. He led all Severstal defensemen in time on ice with 19:43 per game, and he had the most points with 21 (6 goals and 15 assists). He also boasted the best plus/minus rating among defensemen with a +4, and that was on a non-playoff team. The key for Alexandrov’s development this year was staying healthy, and he did just that, playing in all 56 games. He has quickly emerged as one of the top young defensemen in the KHL with his ability to play in all situations, whether it be running a power play or simply playing a strong defensive game. Alexandrov has the upside of a top-four NHL defenseman someday fairly soon. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

He looked good at rookie camp last season.  I think his progress in the AHL will be instant and won't be long seeing him come up to the big league.
    2 way contract shows he wants to play in the NHL as some of you have already mentioned.
    Why hasn't it been posted on Bruins site or even here ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

He looked good at rookie camp last season.  I think his progress in the AHL will be instant and won't be long seeing him come up to the big league. 2 way contract shows he wants to play in the NHL as some of you have already mentioned. Why hasn't it been posted on Bruins site or even here ?
    Posted by BsLegion

Because they're slllllooowwww. This is being discussed all over the Intanet. Stuff only gets posted quickly on Boston.com when it's Dupont rushing to dump on somebody. And Bruins.com will only post it when it's "official."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to America, Yuri! : Your right....I miss read a post on HF......The last thing I want to do is put added pressure on a prospect or for that matter rush them....Alexandrov does appear to be more ready then most though. Yuri Alexandrov , D - Severstal Cherepovets (KHL) 6'1, 179 pounds 2nd round, 37th overall, 2006 While Boston’s NHL defensemen have not been overly impressive this season, Yuri Alexandrov’s play should help ease concern over the position. After suffering an injury that forced him to miss almost half of his team’s games last year, Alexandrov recovered nicely to have a positive end to the year, and his stellar play carried over into the 2009-10 season. He led all Severstal defensemen in time on ice with 19:43 per game, and he had the most points with 21 (6 goals and 15 assists). He also boasted the best plus/minus rating among defensemen with a +4, and that was on a non-playoff team. The key for Alexandrov’s development this year was staying healthy, and he did just that, playing in all 56 games. He has quickly emerged as one of the top young defensemen in the KHL with his ability to play in all situations, whether it be running a power play or simply playing a strong defensive game. Alexandrov has the upside of a top-four NHL defenseman someday fairly soon. 
    Posted by TuukkainNet

OUCH! You just took Duinne to school on that one!...LMAO!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Welcome to America, Yuri! : OUCH! You just took Duinne to school on that one!...LMAO!
    Posted by xenimus

Saying that I'm right is taking me to school?

We're pretty much saying the same thing -- Alexandrov is a very good prospect, with great potential, but he's a 22-year-old Russian kid coming to the U.S. for the first time who should not be expected to step into the Bruins' lineup, especially as a top-pairing defenseman!

I'm a huge Alexandrov fan, and I pretty much agree with everything in that scouting report; I've read several that are similar. But the notion that Bruins fans are expecting this kid to be an instant star gives me the willies, because as fans so often do, if he doesn't live up to their overblown expectations, they'll turn on the poor guy. Give him a chance to grow up a little. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

That is the best news since Savard made it back into the lineup. Seriously, I might have 4 defense-man jerseys to think about buying next year. Alexandrov, Stuart, Boychuck, Chara...

Although i generally have a 2 seasons played in Boston rule...

In Response to Welcome to America, Yuri!:
    According to capgeek.com, the Bruins have signed Russian defenseman Yuri Alexandrov to a two-year, two-way contract. Woo Hoo! http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1769
    Posted by duinne

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

IIRC he also led his team in ice time for defensemen. Not a bad trick at his age. 

In Response to Re: Welcome to America, Yuri! : He was at rookie camp last summer. He didn't join the Bruins this past season because he was in the final year of his KHL contract, not because he had no interest in the NHL or that he was playing the prima dona. Signing a two-way contract shows he's serious about earning his way, IMHO.
    Posted by duinne

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MRELD. Show MRELD's posts

I hope it's a fun year in Providence at the Dunk this year. No playoffs this year and too many stiffs on this team. We need something to get exicted for. How does Hershey do it every year? In the Calder Cup finals again...and again.....and again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

Well, the Globe finally reported it.

Nice to see this signing, Alexandrov certainly sounds like he has the potential to help out the blueline.   I would have preferred a 3 year contract to start...  but it's nice to see PC keep looking after little details like this one and keep on improving our depth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Yep! It's official.  Glad to see him locked up and ready to play in America.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Not that I think Alexandrov is going to be the next Pronger, but for physicality sake Yuri is listed at 2lbs heavier than Sobotka. And with the type of skating he has he can (hopefully while staying in position) throw similar cleanout hits to Phaneuf or Stuart who are bigger, but don't skate quite as well. 

In Response to Re: Welcome to America, Yuri! : Word from whom? A top four pair? In the NHL? At 21? LOL. No. Look, he's a good skater, a puck-mover, and appears to be a pretty smart kid. He's undoubtedly talented, and the sky could be the limit for him. But the KHL is a long, long way from the NHL. For one thing, it's nowhere near as physical - heck, it's nowhere near as physical as the AHL . And Alexandrov, to put it mildly, needs to add some bulk. And learn the North American game, and adjust to life in North America, which Tuukka Rask can attest isn't easy. I'm thrilled to death that he's signed, obviously, but I hate the notion that the kid's going to be an instant stud. He will be good, I have no doubt. But he's going to need time. Bruins fans will have to be patient with him. I hope to God they will.
    Posted by duinne

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

People focus way too much on his size....he's a mobile defenseman.  D-man don't have to be bone crushing physical to be effective.  That said, from all reports, he is not afraid to play a physical game and knows how to use what size he has.    

Talent Analysis

Scout 2: A dependable defenseman…shoots left…doesn’t have many weak spots…main area of improvement is his body mass and strength– he is very light…good top speed… skates well backwards …a technically sound skater…a strong leader (1988 born national team’s captain)...aggressive – likes to hit, likes the physical aspect of the game…a capable power play quarterback…dangerous as both a shooter and a passer…shot – not bad, good strong shot…solid first pass out of the zone…controls the puck well, modern two way defenseman…

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I like what I'm hearing. Duinne has some good points - let's give him time to adjust to NA, let him play in Providence for a bit, not expect too much too soon, not turn on him when he isn't being mentioned for the Norris by game three next year, and things should be alright in the long run. This kid sounds like he's really going to be a plus-player on our blueline. The Bruins have been talking for ages about adding a puckmoving D-man. Maybe we just did. Good move PC. Now sign Boychuk, Stuart & Seidenberg. Can't wait for October!!

GO BRUINS!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Just thought I would point out that Alexandrov weighs 5 less pounds then Nicklas Lidstrom and he's been pretty solid/durable.  

Sections
Shortcuts