What can we expect in the upcoming season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from janasie36. Show janasie36's posts

Wow I have got to get me some of this JJ kool aid that people drink before every season.

Unfortunately for people with a brain is that the Bruins are an average team. They have many holes and have old shaky goaltending.

Horrible ownership combined with horrible cap management by PC spells out more of the same for next season.

They will be fortunate to get the 8 seed and even more fortunate to actually win a playoff round something they have not done in 10 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from janasie36. Show janasie36's posts

"bad refereeing in the first 2 games cost us that series last spring."

Spoken like a true sheep. And I'm the one without a clue?

The Bruins got thier doors blown off the first 2 games especially the first one. Blaming the referees is the naive ill-informed homer excuse.

Thomas is 35 now and Manny hasn't had a full healthy season since 2003-04 and you say they are going to be "solid" yeah ok.

Savard is the Bruins most talented player and unfortuantely the most soft. When can you even remember him fighting and checking for a loose puck in the corner.

Chara is the most inconsistent player on the team. He plays awsome for 2 games and then takes the next 5 games off. He also has stretches where he plays soft. Remember him being too scared to fight Laroque 2 times in the same game! Chara is great when he wants to play but unfortunately he plays like a euro weenie 50% of the time.

Like I said until some of these fools are off the books this team is going nowhere and fast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveGir. Show DaveGir's posts

[Quote]
    Chara is the most inconsistent player on the team. He plays awsome for 2 games and then takes the next 5 games off. He also has stretches where he plays soft. Remember him being too scared to fight Laroque 2 times in the same game! Chara is great when he wants to play but unfortunately he plays like a euro weenie 50% of the time.

Like I said until some of these fools are off the books this team is going nowhere and fast.
    [/Quote]

In no way do you want one of your good players sitting in the box because he's fighting cement heads. Kudos to Chara for not falling for the bait.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

hopefully bergeron will have some protection.

the b's dropped the mitts alot more. looking forward to those philly games!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from janasie36. Show janasie36's posts

Sorry but in the playoffs every player needs to be a grinder and a scrapper, Savard is more worried about his makeup then putting it all on the line to win. This team is not built for the playoffs. Simple as that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from blndmn22. Show blndmn22's posts

Great post RayBaz - nothing wrong with some solid insight and tempered enthusiasm. I agrre this can be a very good team this season. We shall see.
    Typical post janasie36 - no insight whatsoever and unbridled negativity. One and done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

savard plays with passion and grit. takes a hit to make a play and that is toughness .... end of story. i would take a lineup of savards as the guy is paid a reasonable salary for nhl standards and produces well over a point per game in his last three seasons. he took a bad rap early on in his career but the guy is older and sees the big picture now. he now plays a solid team game and is hungry to be part of a winning team.

05-06 - 28g, 69a = 97 pts in 82 gms played
    06-07 - 22g, 74a = 96pts in 82 gms played
    07-08 - 15g, 63a = 78pts in 74 gms played

if you actually watched Savy play in 07-08 there is no way you can call this guy soft. a bruin through and through and he can play mindgames with the opposition too..kind of like kenny the rat. i love the way this guy plays and hope he retires a bruin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BleacherReport. Show BleacherReport's posts

Savard cant even spell grit, all you dopey sheep are the same. Your pie in the sky optimists in September and pathetic excuse makers come April.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachparker. Show coachparker's posts

Bruins will finish 10th in the east this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from daPope. Show daPope's posts

Savard and Gretzky in the same post...now that's rich.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

the hit stat tells you if a player is tough? intersting logic. the hit stat is a joke. you rattle the glass and that is counted as a hit. savy takes a ton of hits to make quality plays and that makes him tough.

soft was craig janney. watched a 91 retro game (B's/Habs playoffs) and this guy was allergic to the corners of the rink. savvy takes a beating and still makes plays. calling him soft is a stretch.

"ahhh I know you can fight....but it's our witts that make us men"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

I'll throw it out there....

Boston is in the mid-pack mix all year, but doesn't score enough goals and finished 2 points out of the playoffs in 9th.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Why do people get the impression that the Bruins are going to be worse?
    The kid's are one years older and are experienced and i'm sure that Claude's system is second nature to them by now so there won't be no learnining curve atmosphere. Patrice is back, although not knowing what your going to get from him due to the injury he is still a threat on the ice, one you did not have last year. You got Ryder who i think can rebound and score 25+. Chuck Kobasew is also back who missed the last 5 weeks including playoffs with a foot injury. Look for Kessel and Lucic to have somewhat of breakout years. Not to mention you will have a healthy combo of respetable veteran goalies. The Bruins will be just fine and saying that they will finish out of a playoff spot is not logical. I think the magic number for wins will be 45, that can pretty much get you in. They had 41 last season whats not to think they can squeeze an extra 4?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

The B's can surly contend, they just have to avoid injuries and have a few guys (shaffer 2nd 1/2 Tohmas ect) and i could see a 4-6th finish with a chance to win a round

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

It's not that they're going to be "worse", Xenimus...it's that I think they overachieved last year, and weren't in a financial position to make themselves rise above the pack. People like to look at how "if the Bruins had just beaten Montreal 3 times in the regular season, they'd have finished 2nd" or whatever, but the reverse is just as true--they barely made the playoffs, and the East is a massive logjam between 5th and 10th place. I just don't think that the talent is enough to have these guys be any more than a mid-pack team, and a couple of those teams will finish on the outside looking in. I think Boston could well be one of them, and the mentality that the Bruins are now far above that seems silly.

To use a comparison, I see the same thing with the Montreal Canadiens....while I see them as a definite playoff team, the idea that they win the East again seems foolhardy. They, too, added some players (Tanguay is a great add) but I think they overachieved big time last year and despite they (like Boston) having young guys who are expected to improve, overachieveing teams like them usually end up coming back to earth. I think Montreal will finish below a lot of fans expectations (and their fans have some similar reason for optomism as Boston's).

Boston's foundation is strong. Once they have cap room (read: July 2009) they can be in a position to make the moves that will truly make them a playoff lock. I just don't think they're anything more than mediocre this year, and may well finish just outside looking in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HamiltonBulldog. Show HamiltonBulldog's posts

1 Step forward 2 steps back, That is how the Boston Bruins operate so i'm not expecting anything from them as usual

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoldOnBlack. Show GoldOnBlack's posts

getting back to the OP what we can expect from this years bruins is that they will play hard, have their ups and downs like any other season but probably play better than last season especially against the habs. they are a working mans team (read:blue collar) so they will put up a fight, i even believe they will finally make it past the first round of the playoffs if all goes well (no serious injuries, etc) but in the end we will not win the cup, i`m not dillusional. im expecting some exciting hockey from the bruins this season and chances are theyll putout a great product for us. GO B`s

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

If grit is throwing sucker punches over Keith Crowders shoulder, then the Rat had it!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

His nickname was the rat for christ sakes. Doesn't that tell you something about how the guy played?

He was a quality player ....yes.
    He wa also a cheap shot artist and a s**t disturber.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Good debate JW5150FL-2:

Your Clarke/Rat comparison is a good one. You make a good point but Yes, I would put Clarke and the Rat in the same group of s**t disturbers and cheap shot artists.

Clarke stands alone when it comes to A-holes of the NHL. He played tough thanks to the muscle surrounding him and I'd even argue the Rat was braver as he started crap with fewer reinforcments riding shot gun with him (at least during his B's days).

All that said, I think every team in the league would take todays Savy as well. Different eras and different ways to display toughness. You can't just go around clubbing a players ankle to pieces (ala Clarke) and claim to be tough. Today, a tough player is the one who can mentally overcome adversity. Take a hit to make a good play as apposed to the easy and safer play. Being disciplined and not rataliating to a cheap shot is tough. Recognizing you can play hurt and being hurt is different than being injured. To me, in todays game this is what makes you tough. Bettman's gay NHL aside, you just can't do the things Clarke and Kenny used to do.

Sections
Shortcuts