What decides who should be in a shootout

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crlsnjnn. Show crlsnjnn's posts

What decides who should be in a shootout

Does anyone know what goes into the decision over who should be in a shootout?  Some of the players do not have very good shootout stats and I can't figure out why the coaches would put them in.  It seems to me that if there's players on the team who have great shootout percentages, they should always be the ones who go into the shootouts, but it doesn't seem to happen that way. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: What decides who should be in a shootout

In Response to What decides who should be in a shootout:
    Does anyone know what goes into the decision over who should be in a shootout?  Some of the players do not have very good shootout stats and I can't figure out why the coaches would put them in.  It seems to me that if there's players on the team who have great shootout percentages, they should always be the ones who go into the shootouts, but it doesn't seem to happen that way. 
    Posted by crlsnjnn

Percentages are low on the list of priorities. Generally the top consideration is who's been shooting well in practice lately (they work on game-condition shootouts). Coaches might also go with a hot hand from that particular game, or if someone absolutely owns a particular goalie, but that's a lesser priority. 

Marc Savard was tapped by Julien to take shootouts this year, even though historically his percentages are low. Savard said Julien called him into his office in the preseason and asked if he had a problem with shootouts, because they'd like to use him. Savard said no problem, he'd welcome the challenge, and if you recall he scored a beauty before he was hurt. I'm sure he'll step back in when he returns.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SIMPSON6386. Show SIMPSON6386's posts

Posted by crlsnjnn

i assume they go with the "hot hand"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

if your name is blake wheeler, you are in the shootout

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I would bet that part of the equation is the cross section of where the shooters shoot and where the goalies let them in.

So for instance if you know that Sobotka is always shooting about a foot off the ice stick side and that J. Hiller let's in 1/4th of his goals there, he's more likely to get the call than say Recchi who shoots and scores more to the top corners of the net.

Posted by crlsnjnn

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from theobama. Show theobama's posts

It depends on the goalie they are going against. It depends on who is hot. It depends on who is home/away or shooting first/second.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ogie. Show Ogie's posts

The work on it in practice in a competitive environment and they keep percentages as well...not just in the games.

Sections
Shortcuts