What do you guys do when you're not posting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: What do you guys do when you're not posting?

Shaun:  The best way to get a paid part time writing gig is to volunteer at a credibe site (read:  not Bleacher Report).  You can use the site to show off your skills, which can lead to a paying position.

Hockeyguy0818:  I appreciate it.  There are some really good hockey minds here that offer many different perspectives on the game.  We are lucky enough to see the Bruins through the eyes of the younger fans, the older fans, the Boston based fans and the fans from elsewhere.  We're also very lucky to have some great members from Canada here who can elaborate on the CHL players and other members right in Toronto who can give us a perspective on the game that we just can't get around here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

NAS: Which sites would you suggest?  I can presumably write in many topics, hockey, wide range of history, literature.  I've also thought of starting my own blog and putting it out there myself.

I appreciate analytical points of view from these posts also.  There are, believe it or not, many things that one can account for in any argument, including that of the Bruins. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The CC is for Computational Chemistry.  No, not a very creative screen name.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Good thing we don't have to write our real names.
    I won't say where I'm from although some of you might have picked up (or of course the members I met).  Words gets around and I can get scolded for speaking truth on some hockey matters. 
    I manage a department that is built to beat internet pricing on airfares for a major Travel agency that covers the Eastern coast from Florida to Canada.
    Hence my frequent travels to Boston and catch games.
    I speak and write 4 different languages (due to my job) Spanish, Italian, French and yes English (as well as I could)
    This is how I got to meet and deal with a bunch of players as Brodeur, Souray and Gagne.
    We mostly shoot a different type of sh_it as that is the last thing they want to talk about,  hockey, when they're away from that environment. 
    I'm reading all these posts today and I'm really really impressed with all of you here. It kind of answers many question on some of you characters , in a good way.
    My brother (member here) , Godson,  my wife , daughter, dad are all Bruin fans and some us go back to the late 60's bleeding Black n Gold.
    My joy of the Red Sox winning one of their first in so many years will not compare with the Bruins winning a cup .  Just thinking about it ... All I have to say Niagara falls. 
    Cheers mates off for some beers !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

Hey, good thread. Haven't posted in awhile but this was a good read.

I'm basically trading my own cash these days after working in capital markets for the past 20 years.

I'm one of the proud Bruins fans here in Montreal.

Nice to put some background to many of the posters who are here on a usual basis.

I am looking forward to the season.

NAS, read a thread earlier by you that I hadn't seen by anyone and was great...how lucky are the B's to have the goal tending "problems" we have.

Good to see the B's fan net casts far and wide.

Let's have a few more friendly posts before we start chewing each other out come October!

Go the Broons!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I'm a grade 5 teacher up here in Toronto, presently, an inner-city school in Etobicoke and have been cultivating legions of young minds to become devotees of our Bruins for the last 13 years.  You can be sure each student I've been fortunate enough to teach knows which team I follow. 

Kids have given me such gifts as Bruin coffee cups, Bruin caps, even hand-made Bruin birthday cards.  I never wait for February to inform the children of the club's long history of having black players wear the jersey. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: What do you guys do when you're not posting?:
    The CC is for Computational Chemistry.  No, not a very creative screen name.
    Posted by DrCC

Do enjoy your commentary when you do post!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Another academic here ... second year PhD student at a large east coast university studying blogs of all things. We examine a variety of things, including the tipping points for nastiness in Internet forums, why people post to these places, the economics behind blogs and stuff. I also study companies such as the NY Times and get a chuckle when people here start complaining about the quality of reporting and whatnot ...

Been gone a loooong time.

well I think I have everyone beat.  I am finishing my MA in classical studies, meaning I can translate dead languages. Latin and ancient Greek.  I also have done a little of archaeology, but I am more strictly of a history/language person.  I can also speak German, and I suppose the in my meantime the Bruins fill the void of me wishing I were living in Europe.  Will get there someday, hopefully soon.  I write on the side also, but that is more for myself. Hey NAS, how can i get a part-time writing gig? errare humanum est.
    Posted by shaunk

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I'm a steam engineer here in the Canadian Rockies in Jasper, Alberta. Being here for 30yrs. Played 14yr commercial hockey here with far far too many Habs fans around here. I work 12hr shifts so I have access to a computer at work and get to post while working. Shhhhhh !!! I've only posted for a short time here but I have come to look foword to getting information that, really, you can't find any where else. There are some very thoughtful posters here and I've come to look forward to many regular posters. Thanks to all for posting. And to all the troll posters, I hope the Habs finish last, again !!!!   Go B's Go !!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Another academic here ... second year PhD student at a large east coast university studying blogs of all things. We examine a variety of things, including the tipping points for nastiness in Internet forums, why people post to these places, the economics behind blogs and stuff. I also study companies such as the NY Times and get a chuckle when people here start complaining about the quality of reporting and whatnot ... Been gone a loooong time. In Response to Re: What do you guys do when you're not posting? :
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

oh yeah?!?! you want to make something of it, pal?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

I stick pins in my Mike Richards doll!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Is a proud dad of 3 daughters,, 2 married.. one just finished college.( that just makes me an old man)..  Bruins fan since the mid 60s when my older bro and dad ( when he was alive) got me hooked on the B'swatching TV38 on a B&WTV with loop antenna.. must've been 80 ghosts on the ice....Biker and member of Fire and Iron M/C..expecting first grandson due November...  Nothing amazing to state here.. just a wee bit of what I do when not posting.. Oh yeah.. almost got killed the other day when I fell off a horse.. thank god the wallmart greeter saw me and unplugged it...LOL. ( obviously an old goof too..LOL)... pleasantly  surprised at what a  decent thread this is...( at least till mine..) Go B's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Another academic here ... second year PhD student at a large east coast university studying blogs of all things. We examine a variety of things, including the tipping points for nastiness in Internet forums, why people post to these places, the economics behind blogs and stuff. I also study companies such as the NY Times and get a chuckle when people here start complaining about the quality of reporting and whatnot ... Been gone a loooong time. In Response to Re: What do you guys do when you're not posting? :
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

Nice research topics, should make a general ( Consilence, E.O. Wilson) connection to the driver's rage on the highways.  In those worlds, one can give no care to civility as long as you have the wheel in your own little world, or keyboard if you will.  Oddly enough not facing the person.  Some on here love to speak in nasty remarks as if the world prior to the 1960s did not exist.  Now there was a period of cynicism and satirical commentary straight on without the medium disconnect.  Oh well, I have to young daughters who can deal with that change in communication.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Is a proud dad of 3 daughters,, 2 married.. one just finished college.( that just makes me an old man)..  Bruins fan since the mid 60s when my older bro and dad ( when he was alive) got me hooked on the B'swatching TV38 on a B&WTV with loop antenna.. must've been 80 ghosts on the ice....Biker and member of Fire and Iron M/C..expecting first grandson due November...  Nothing amazing to state here.. just a wee bit of what I do when not posting.. Oh yeah.. almost got killed the other day when I fell off a horse.. thank god the wallmart greeter saw me and unplugged it...LOL. ( obviously an old goof too..LOL)... pleasantly  surprised at what a  decent thread this is...( at least till mine..) Go B's
    Posted by SupportLocal81

Nice to see your post!  Been a long time!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone has wonderful stories.  Mine is simple:  I'm a writer.  People love to blast me for having so much time, but the truth is, I spend 12+ hours a day with my laptop on my lap.  Checking in here doesn't really pull me away for long.  Some of you have probably read my work in the past, but I've been retired from sports writing for a few years.  My latest project is based on hockey, commissioned by a company, and should be done in about 12 months.  If I was to delete my account here, of course, I'd be done in eight.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

NAS, I write a similar amount . The hard thing to explain to my friends is that when I'm staring out the window I'm actually working.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: What do you guys do when you're not posting? : NAS, I write a similar amount . The hard thing to explain to my friends is that when I'm staring out the window I'm actually working.
    Posted by Davidorr

It really is funny, David.  I spend a lot of time walking my dog during the day.  One of my neighbors asked me if I had a job.  I responded, 'Sort of', and just kept going.  The truth is, I never stop working, but instead am always thinking, "What happens next?"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Everyone has wonderful stories.  Mine is simple:  I'm a writer.  People love to blast me for having so much time, but the truth is, I spend 12+ hours a day with my laptop on my lap.  Checking in here doesn't really pull me away for long.  Some of you have probably read my work in the past, but I've been retired from sports writing for a few years.  My latest project is based on hockey, commissioned by a company, and should be done in about 12 months.  If I was to delete my account here, of course, I'd be done in eight.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

NAS, got a title yet?  Fiction or non?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

In Response to Re: What do you guys do when you're not posting? : CarolinaClamMan,  I worked my way through college digging clams on the south shore for a commercial dealer. Great hours, great money, great tan but definitely the most physically taxing job I've had to date. Bent over up to your knees in mud for five hours, and the winters were brutal. Those were the days...
    Posted by Davidorr

David,  Yah,. I started out that way, raking and tonging wild stock.  But now I grow the clams under nets--  much easier!!  I just pull the nets back and scoop them up.   Each clam is worth 25 cents, so it's kind of like picking up your quarters from the floor after winning the slot machine jackpot.  I can harvest 2000 in about an hour.  Then there's grading and bagging which takes twice as long.  Plus maintenance of the nets-- always the rays, crabs, drums, bonnet sharks, all trying to get underneath and munch those clams.  It's a blast!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from squeef. Show squeef's posts

I'm an electrician and i also play hockey a few nights a week, drink beers with my friends and i am a proud new dad! it is surprisingly tough to find a good amount of bruins baby clothes i was really bummed to find that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: What do you guys do when you're not posting? : NAS, got a title yet?  Fiction or non?
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

It's non-fiction/historical.  Tons of research to do.  The subject matter is an idea that I came up with, so I'm keeping it under wraps for fear of having it stolen.  Even the people/players I'm interviewing don't know the full scope of the project.

Someday it'll come out...hopefully.  This is my second attempt at writing a book.  The first once hit the discard pile as one with a very, very similar subject hit the shelves when I was about 75% done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I sell estimatic proprietary technology software to very tired, very grumpy, beat up by insurance companies Auto Body Shop/Collision Repair owners and Ins. adjusters hence my addiction and reliance on my best buddy in the whole wide world Jameson!

Thanks for the props ClamMan backatcha! BookBoy I would have guessed that at some point you did some teaching as you have done some schooling on this site.

PS. BlueFox awesome one liner LMAO!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

No, but I could tell you any number of reasons (scientifically tested of course by my colleagues) why you'd like to throw down.

Hey, I wonder what the heck Stanley does for a living. Does anyone remember the Simpsons episode in which Homer adds a lot of weight, wears the moomoo (sp?) and then has that toy peck out commands on a nuclear computer? Yeah, that comes to mind.

In Response to Re: What do you guys do when you're not posting? : oh yeah?!?! you want to make something of it, pal?!?!
    Posted by BadHabitude

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I constantly think about the Bruins and hockey.  For work, I am a middle-manager in a large Fortune 500 Company in the Northeast.  The money is amazing, the freedom is not.

I love the other Boston sports teams, Sox, Pats, Celts; but nothing measures up to the B's.

I am a 10-year season-ticket waiting list member for the Pats.

I enjoy premium cigars, included in my 500 ct humidor.  Montecristo (White) and Ashton (Double Magnum) if you are planning a party for me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Posted by SupportLocal81

Welcome back, Nice post!!
     I am a navigation officer on a ship and I've been working all over the world. I do a lot of posting from the bridge of the ship. (Not while I'm Navigating!! Haha) I work 28 days on and 28 days off so that gives me 6 months of the year to do whatever the "puck" I want!! 

I have 2 girls who are also Bruin fans and my youngest LOVES Michael Ryder, she wears #73 on her jersey and my oldest wears #24 (O'Reilly...she picked it!!). I play hockey when I'm home and help coach the local Atom boys team and the girls under 12 team...silver medal in the provincials last season!!!  Gold this year!!

I also ride, so between raising a family and spending time at the rink I get on the bike as much as I can and help support local charities. I also play guitar and cut the grass when I get a chance!!!  Hahaha  Respect!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Good topic David.  Who knew we had such an interesting convergence of people and places from all over North America? 

For most of my career I've worked in advertising, marketing and public relations.  Along the way, I've been lucky enough to be involved in hockey at various levels...NHL, AHL, and the low-low minors...as either a full-time employee, media member or volunteer. 

Have had jobs both in and out of hockey but have usually found a way to stay involved when not working directly in our favorite sport.  Am also a big fan of U.S. college hockey.  Though it was table-top hockey that got me started in the early '60's, Bobby Orr is literally THE reason I became such a hockey nut.  I grew up in greater Boston and now live in New Hampshire, but have lived and worked in several U.S. cities the past 36 years, and have traveled to Canada (Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto) a few times.  Between pro and college, am fortunate to attend about 60 live games per year.  Do most of my posting here at night.

Sections
Shortcuts