What do you think of the NHL & the Olympics?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

What do you think of the NHL & the Olympics?

Are you all for letting the best play for their country?  Are you dead set against their participation, and think it should be amature only?

-OR-

Maybe a hybrid system that allows certain players, who have played less than a specified number of NHL games (i.e. AHLers, or other in-the-system players), to go.  Without interrupting the season schedule maybe?

Dunno, what does the Hub of Hockey think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Re: What do you think of the NHL & the Olympics?

On one hand, the Olympics should be for amatures.  On the other, only the best should be fielded in any event, whether it's badmiton or hockey.

During a particularly long whiskey binge, I had the pipe dream that...

'Hell yeah let's send the best, but I don't want it to affect my NHL action.  So let the minor leagers and the part timers have their two weeks of fame, and let the NHLers stay focused on the cup!'

I don't know the legalities, and CBA nonsense that would apply, but on the surface... why not?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoldOnBlack. Show GoldOnBlack's posts

I say we let ehm play because as a Canadian i wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to play for my country and win Gold at the highest international stage. As much as winning the cup would mean, IMO playing with your country's flag on your chest means so much more. I wouldnt take that away from our boys because they deserve it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Disk0thek. Show Disk0thek's posts

Amateurs!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coyotesfft. Show coyotesfft's posts

The Olympics totally messes up the NHL Season. I wish the Olympics occured after the NHL Season, but it doesn't.

If you polled the players and stated which would they rather do (win the cup or a gold medal), then the Stanley Cup would be the overwhelming winner. One Olympic injury could ruin a teams playoff run. It's just not worth it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

As a Canadian also, I remember dreaming about lifting that Stanley cup over my head. Never dreamed of winning any medals. If you bleed hockey it's all about the cup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoldOnBlack. Show GoldOnBlack's posts

Well if the cup was more important to the players why would they risk it all to play in the olympics? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

I understand the Cup is the dream of all.  But, for most, the call of king and country has an appeal like no other when it is made.  So I see the point GoldonBlack is making.  Winning the cup will get you laid for a summer, winning gold can get you on a figgin postage stamp!

Plus, you when the Cup with a team you might never play for again.  When you when gold, you are then part of an entire countries history.  Especially in Canada (of which I am not from) where you have a better chance statistically of winning the cup than winning gold.  Yeah, you can make it on one of 30 teams and play year after year.  But make it on one team, that plays only every four years, and have maybe 3 or 4 chances to win gold? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

Good question, and when i read it, i had a hard time figuring out my initial reaction. I look at baseball and see that the World Baseball Classic is an absolute annoyance. It has effectively ruined the season for dice k and had a negative impact on the early part of the season for pedroia (who also got injured) and youk. Since baseball wont make an appearance at London in 2012, i guess this has become the "highest" level of international play for the sport, but I would get rid of it in a heartbeat if it were up to me.

I personally love watching hockey at the Olympics (as well as other sports), and to be honest, that is the only "international competition" that I ever watch, unless you count Tennis Grandslams (Never watched the "World Championships" of anything). Luckily, the B's have never been adversely affected by an Olympic injury, but it would absolutely break my heart to see the B's lose out on a cup because of something like that, after all we've been through in the last 30 or so years. I think ultimately, the players should decide, and I think they want to play, so let them play.

BUT, i wouldn't be opposed to seeing a change to something like a Challenger's cup, where we pit North America against Russia et al. Because, lets face it, these are the two biggest markets for hockey players, and with all the tension about russians beginning to dominate the NHL, it might even garner a little animosity and could make for an interesting tourney. Make it after the playoffs are over of course. Could even do something like the all-stars of the NHL versus the all-stars of the KHL. OOOhhh that would def be good!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Good comments bruinsdiehard,

I personally think that the olympics are the greatest form of hockey. In fact, I will go further in saying that I think it is one of the best sporting events in the world.

There is something amazing about seeing the best players available competing on the same ice surface. Cananda vs Russia vs Sweeden vs the US vs Czechs... absolutely amazing that they can put together such balanced fantasy teams that have so much pride in their respective countries. It is only right that each nation brings their best players to justify that pride.

When I watch these games, I feel that the players are playing with passion. A special kind of passion that people can only feel when they are playing for the nation that they love and for the people that they grew up with.

There is a great history of international competition between countries in hockey, but we can only quantify the status of these rivalries every four years at the olympics. The rarity of this event and the unparalleled quality of play is what makes olympic hockey so special.

I don't put too much stock in the NHL to be honest. Yes, I love the Bruins and I care about the state of the NHL. But I find the Olympics to be hockey in its purest form. The NHL is just too diluted with mediocre teams, as watching Phoenix play Nashville does nothing for me over a long and boring regular season. It makes me sick when the players association tries to convince players NOT to attend such a pure event, it makes me resent professional sports and imagine what the world would be like if people no longer cared about the difference between 9 and 10 million dollars.

** I should also note one critical difference between the olympic game and the NHL.... THE LARGE ICE SURFACE! Watching the Olympics makes me dream about what it would be like if NHL games were played on olympic sized ice. The better skaters would be given more room, and the games could be more physical because the faster players would be given a considerable advantage with additional space that checking could be allowed back! IMAGINE THAT! physical play in hockey!!

People underestimate how critical this difference is, I would love to see it in the NHL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think if you were really to take a close look as to what means more, the Cup or Olympic Gold, the split would be along lines of Nationality.
    The Stanley Cup has a rich and storied history in Canada and the US. Every hockey player has dreamed of it at some point. It has always been the pinnacle of hockey in North America.

This is not the case in Europe. Mats Sundin, for example, said he grew up dreaming of Olympic gold.
    It has only been a little more than 20 years (less for the Russians) that European players have been a large part of the make up of the NHL. The vast, vast, vast majority of European hockey fans and players have never even seen the Cup, nor have they attened an NHL game.

For players who grew up in this environment, I am fairly certain that Olympic gold remains the ultimate achievement, while us Canadians and Americans still dream of Lord Stanley.

Either way, I think they should still play. I love my Bruins and I always will. But if say Lucic wins gold for Canada, and in doing so suffers and injury that helps the Bruins to get knocked out, I'll still be thrilled about that gold.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

May I just say that I usually abhor posting what I think is a serious thread, and then seeing the average morons on here post pure garbage and trash talk.  I appreciate the actual conversation, this is more interesting than I thought.

Regarding something Olsonic said about the ice surface.  I've never been a huge fan of the international ice, but I agree with what you said.  On the other hand, I don't like how it makes the D play in their own end.  Sometimes it looks like it's an end-to-end, set up your powerplay contest.  It takes all skill and no guts to get through the neutral zone.  You don't often see someone take a plastering hit to get the puck up ice.

I'd rather have the guts than the skill on display.  The ice surface is fine for the Olympics, but I personally think that the NHL surface breeds a inherantly nastier game, which I like.  The bigger it is, the more like soccer (which is to say: pure third world llama sh&t) it is.

I'd like the international play more if A) get rid of no touch icing, B) let 'em fight.  Anybody see 2008's two Finaland vs. USA games? (If you did, you remember it for sure.) 

And while I'm on that, run the clock the other way, it's just plain annoying.

P.S. I'll watch Phoenix @ Nashville, but I'm sick like that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

hmmm... amatures - that's something you saw on adult only web sites.

NO pros in the Olympics.  The Olympics should be the top event for amateurs.

99.9% of the players in the world won't get a chance to even play in the league where they play for that big silver cup.

At least give another .1% to get a chance to get a medal for their country.  How many guys from the miracle team never played in the NHL?  And how many faded from sight 20 minutes after they played their first NHL game?  At least a few more guys got their 15 minutes of hockey fame.  Before they become no more.  Share some of the wealth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of the NHL & the Olympics?:
    [QUOTE] I've never been a huge fan of the international ice, but I agree with what you said.  On the other hand, I don't like how it makes the D play in their own end.  Sometimes it looks like it's an end-to-end, set up your powerplay contest.  It takes all skill and no guts to get through the neutral zone.  You don't often see someone take a plastering hit to get the puck up ice. I'd rather have the guts than the skill on display.  The ice surface is fine for the Olympics, but I personally think that the NHL surface breeds a inherantly nastier game, which I like.  The bigger it is, the more like soccer (which is to say: pure third world llama sh&t) it is. I'd like the international play more if A) get rid of no touch icing, B) let 'em fight.  
    Posted by elosias[/QUOTE]

I had to consider what you were saying for a few minutes before I could agree or disagree. I think you might be right. The smaller ice surface is probably makes NHL games better but it comes with the unfortunate assumption that this is only because the players on the ice are average professionals. With a larger ice surface, average NHLers might not be able to create the seperation and dazzling puck-moving and stickwork you were hoping to create with the switch. It could backfire and just create video-game style puck possession because anyone with above average speed would dominate.

BUT i think you have to consider how exciting 4v4 overtime play is in the NHL. The opportunities open ice creates is often exhilirating entertainment, and I think an olympic ice surface would add the same excitment to 5v5 play that 4v4 play does to overtime in the NHL. Open ice means players are moving faster and with more momentum, therefore people make their moves earlier and the moves are more dramatic i.e. more space is created when their moves are successfull giving them more time for a quality scoring chance. I would hope that an olympic NHL game could prove this.

What if the NHL expanded to an olympic ice surface in certain situations like the winter classic game? a larger ice surface would certainly make fans in the balcony of Fenway park feel closer to the game. This could be an interesting place to experiment.

To a greater extreme, what if they went to a larger surface in the playoffs and allowed "clutching and grabbing" and stopped the rediculous stick penalty calls that happen in the regular season? That will never happen, but it is fun to consider the "what-if's".

During the regular season, it does seem reasonable that a smaller ice surface generates more action. It certainly creates body contact, something the olympics are definately lacking. I wish the olympics paid players, and paid them very very well for success in the tournament which could possibly create incentive to hit more, I don't mind it though, there is enough contact in the olympics for it not to feel like an all-star game. I'm happy with the play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Dunno. Just don't want our pros to be distracted from what counts -- our beloved NHL games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

bump

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Olsonic, smaller ice surfaces favor faster players, not the other way around

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Hmm.. I completely disagree, more open space means more control for the faster players.

Hall Gill on an olympic ice surface = useless.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Hal Gill on any ice surface = useless

And back when our amatures played in the Olympics - Other nations had their Pro's -Russia wasn't a bunch of amatures or college kids.

I want to see the best play in the Olympics - thats the point of the entire thing - not to give someone else a chance - its all about having your absolute best athletes competing for their country.

And as far as Olympic Ice Surface - don't like it - ever watch UNH home games?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Brady the point I was trying to make is, the smaller ice surfaces benefit large slow moving players. On a larger ice surface, A very large defensemen, like Hall Gill, would be too much of a liability because the one thing that makes them successful, their size, would require an equal helping of speed to cover the same portion of the ice they are responsible for defending.

Fast players, notably wingers, can retreat with the puck without being sandwiched against the boards by a talentless behemoth. Small ice surfaces favor speed? hardly. The game of hockey in general favors speed, but only on a small ice surface can someone with out it make an impact.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

I would say that the small ice surface favors quickness, and the large surface favors speed.  I think those are two seperate things.  Put Samsonov or Kessel on the small ice, and they can almost dance, buck and weave.  On the large ice surface, not so much.  Put Rolston or any other fleet footed forward on the large surface, and watch them fly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Thats a very good point elosias.

Point taken.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

i think team USA back stopped by timmy thomas will breeze through the games and then barely break a sweat while easily taking gold medal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of the NHL & the Olympics?:
    [QUOTE]i think team USA back stopped by timmy thomas will breeze through the games and then barely break a sweat while easily taking gold medal.
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts[/QUOTE]

Although as an American, I wish this were true.  No one is going to breeze through anything.  And Timmy has modified his game for the small ice surface since his arrival in the NHL.  He had it back in Europe before making it here, I'm not so sure he'lll be as stellar as we all hope.

I personally hope as few B's as possible make the cut for their respective teams, I WANT THE CUP DAMN IT!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well we just lost our one Olympic gold medalist, and our two most likely contenders for team Canada weren't even invited to camp (and I can't see Lucic making the cut) so other than Timmy and Chara, I can't see many Bruins playing in Vancouver. Maybe Sturm if he's healthy, and Krejci could have a shot at a roster spot for the Czechs.