What happened to foot protectors?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

What happened to foot protectors?

Savvy takes not one but two shots on the foot and is busted.  A while back there was some talk of a protector which would lace or snap over the soft part of the boot.  I think a few defensemen were trying them.

Does anyone know if any players are using them?  If not, why not?

So many broken bruised and busted feet every year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Re: What happened to foot protectors?

I believe PJ Axelson was wearing a protective cap around his skates.....He broke his foot last year and they made something for him. Not sure if its a skate manufactured piece or just something the equipment manager fabricates.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to What happened to foot protectors?:
    Savvy takes not one but two shots on the foot and is busted.  A while back there was some talk of a protector which would lace or snap over the soft part of the boot.  I think a few defensemen were trying them. Does anyone know if any players are using them?  If not, why not? So many broken bruised and busted feet every year.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

Those protective caps were common in the early seventies. They covered the inner and outer "ankle bones". Some covered the instep as well. For all the advances made in modern skate technology, a padded "tongue" on the boot of the skate is the player's only protection. And how many times does a player take one off the instep? They're literally brought to their knees. Yet, the "machismo" thing prevents most from addressing this. The visor is a similar issue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to foot protectors?:
    In Response to What happened to foot protectors? : Those protective caps were common in the early seventies. They covered the inner and outer "ankle bones". Some covered the instep as well. For all the advances made in modern skate technology, a padded "tongue" on the boot of the skate is the player's only protection. And how many times does a player take one off the instep? They're literally brought to their knees. Yet, the "machismo" thing prevents most from addressing this. The visor is a similar issue.
    Posted by watchtower

Sounds like you are talking about ankle guards.  What PJ had was a solid plastic piece that covered the laces, outside the skate of course.  It is light, but a little bulky.  Visors are horrible, get a little water, vapor, snot, spit or whatever on them and your vision is really hampered.  I adapted a softball catcher's cage to my helmet.   A stick blade or puck could come through in a few spots if it were at jsut the right angle.  I think they should create a professional version.  Mine doesn't obscure my vision, it's like wearing glasses, since there's nothing directly in front of the eyes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Well, it just seems that with high tech carbon plastic compounds there ought to be some smart way to protect those delicate foot bones.  Some kind of shield that would strap or snap over the unprotected parts.  Especially for d men. 

It's not a case of "machismo".  It's a case of keeping your best players in the lineup.  No one would think of going out there without shin guards.  So why do they leave their feet so unprotected, when they know that 100 mph pucks will be flying at them?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Well, it just seems that with high tech carbon plastic compounds there ought to be some smart way to protect those delicate foot bones.  Some kind of shield that would strap or snap over the unprotected parts.  Especially for d men.  It's not a case of "machismo".  It's a case of keeping your best players in the lineup.  No one would think of going out there without shin guards.  So why do they leave their feet so unprotected, when they know that 100 mph pucks will be flying at them?

What I tried to say was there is equipment available, but the guys won't wear it, like visors to protect the gift of sight, and kevlar neck guards to protect the jugular from razor sharp skate blades.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Players could be shielded from all types of common injuries. But they would be so laden down with protection they would likely be too heavy to skate very fast or react quickly.

It's just like NASCAR, they have sacrificed some speed for safety. They could do more, but the cars would be so slow , it would be pointless to race them.

Hockey could be much safer , but the product would be slower and less exciting...I believe the league would not want that as it would make the sport even harder to market.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Not to belabor the point, but how many do wear visors now?  Half maybe?  It doesn't seem that a little foot protector out of high tech material would weigh so much.  But maybe it would prevent flexing or be clumsy somehow.  I just wonder why nothing is done, when there are so very many foot injuries.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Last nite I was watching Canucks-Hawks and one of the Sedin's was wearing this foot protector.  I hope Savy is wearing one tonite.
    Does Recchi wear one ?  hahahaha

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Thanks for the news....good.....seems every week we hear about another busted foot in the NHL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Thanks for the news....good.....seems every week we hear about another busted foot in the NHL

Yes ,  look at the Habs also lost an important piece in Gionta to a broken foot due to a shot from the point.
    I don't understand why they don't wear them.  I don't when I play nor anyone else I play with (we don't have Chara winding up) .  Why wouldn't they ?  Seems like it's light therefore what's the deal ?

Sections
Shortcuts